Are Live Videos Replacing Content?

by Medon
12 replies
Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?
#content #live #replacing #videos
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author professorrosado
    Content is content..video is just another medium.

    The quick answer to your question is yes but with the following caveats:
    1 - There will always be certain niches that require more "content" than a single video will be able to provide. Videos will be short - not long.
    2 - To get actionable click throughs, each person has a different threshold - some push the button sooner than others. Here again, more content will be needed for these "wiser" purchasers.
    3 - Although more instant video viewing will become a mainstay, I don't think it will necessarily result in the same we now experience with the traditional video embed and surrounding content mix.
    4 - I do see "content" becoming integrated or accessible through the video UI in the very near future which will make video + content marketing so powerful in the following years.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by professorrosado View Post

      Content is content..video is just another medium.

      The quick answer to your question is yes but with the following caveats:
      1 - There will always be certain niches that require more "content" than a single video will be able to provide. Videos will be short - not long.
      2 - To get actionable click throughs, each person has a different threshold - some push the button sooner than others. Here again, more content will be needed for these "wiser" purchasers.
      3 - Although more instant video viewing will become a mainstay, I don't think it will necessarily result in the same we now experience with the traditional video embed and surrounding content mix.
      4 - I do see "content" becoming integrated or accessible through the video UI in the very near future which will make video + content marketing so powerful in the following years.
      Great insight. I agree with you that in some cases content will remain the king while in others, the video will push more. Integrating both video and content is likely to bring marketers a fortune.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve L
    Originally Posted by Medon View Post

    Live videos are becoming popular each passing day. It has forced marketers to start using the strategy to increase sales. In fact, it is considered the best strategy to use to attract new customers. This is why millions of live videos are uploaded and watched on YouTube and facebook every day. A few weeks ago, I heard a marketer say that live videos are soon going to overtake content as a marketing tool. Marketers, do you think this is true?
    He's hyping you up to buy his upcoming live video course

    Seriously, content will exist in multiple formats forever. There are times when you prefer to read then there are times where you need a video. The written word is not going anywhere. Personally, I hate how Youtube videos take forever to get to the point because they're trying to make their video last at least 10 minutes. Youtube favors videos over 10 minutes is why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    I do not see live overtaking written content soon M. but it will be more popular as we progress. I note folks spending freaking hours watching videos on phones. Especially if I am on the subway in NYC, people glue their peepers to phones, following live and recorded videos. I was good for 1 live broadcast daily on Facebook until recently. Good way to bond with readers.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph, Blogger, Author, World Traveling Digital Nomad at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      I do not see live overtaking written content soon M. but it will be more popular as we progress. I note folks spending freaking hours watching videos on phones. Especially if I am on the subway in NYC, people glue their peepers to phones, following live and recorded videos. I was good for 1 live broadcast daily on Facebook until recently. Good way to bond with readers.
      Good observations . It may take time before video overtakes content but we all agree that they will help marketers leverage sales.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    I think saying that live video will overtake other forms of content is a stretch at best. Not that it's not growing and a useful tool. I just find it hard to believe it will overtake existing forms of content.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    18 Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534874].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Sure, I agree with you that live video is growing fast but it may not take a lead any time sooner. Even though it is an important factor in the world of digital marketing.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    If you can put out better video with great sound quality . Then build an audience fan base around that . If you are better with written word focus on the written word. If you are better with stick figure slidshows .

    What media or medium will you be the best most effective at building an audience or fan base .

    But then I am specific with the terms audience and fans ...instead of brand and customers .
    Signature

    "I just wanted a good job ,but i could not find a good job, So i do it myself"-Jack Ma

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11534890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Medon
      Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

      If you can put out better video with great sound quality . Then build an audience fan base around that . If you are better with written word focus on the written word. If you are better with stick figure slidshows .

      What media or medium will you be the best most effective at building an audience or fan base .

      But then I am specific with the terms audience and fans ...instead of brand and customers .
      Thank you Odahh for your response. I agree with you that doing what you are best at (specialization) is key to success. But people who juggle around two or more things have also registered great success.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cearionmarie
    There's no denying the fact that it is indeed gaining traction and popularity but I don't see it becoming the new king. Content is still content and yes, live videos are another thing. Both have their pros and they are both intended for specific people.
    Signature

    Cearion Uy - Marketing Advisor
    www.influencerauditor.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wentzco
    Live video definitely has become very popular on Facebook in different niches. I admin a biz op advertising group & I see quite a growing number of live videos being shared. It's ideal for training people as you can answer real time questions being posted. Interaction levels for live videos is "much" higher which gives it a boost in the Facebook algorithm. Facebook also sends you notifications of friends/pages doing a live video. I'll watch live video & replays either related to the company I'm with, local/national news events, "some" of my friends' videos or a cannabis stock trading show on occasion.

    In certain industry/product niches, people make buying decisions because they like the person or business they are dealing with. Live video shows people who you are as a person better than printed words can. I'd have to make sure I wasn't wearing my robe & showered for the day for this to work for me. I have definitely considered doing this & had browsed some web cams recently. I have refused to get a smartphone & have a $10 Tracfone for emergency use primarily (I literally have made maybe 5-6 calls with it in the last 8 years).

    One thing I hate about some live videos is people not getting to the point & respecting other people's time. Last night, my wife watched a video where her friend/associate was making an announcement on how she was changing businesses. She talked on for 15 minutes filled with emotional comments. Both my wife & I were commenting "Get to the point - what business are you getting involved with?". After 15 minutes... she never mentioned the business.


    Larry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    At best, video will be a good complement, but certainly will never replace written content.
    Signature
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” – Isaac Newton
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11535970].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics