How would I replicate what happened in September

16 replies
Not too long ago, I posted on here how I had my first month clearing $10K in September. I never used any paid traffic before, and I only have 1 single digital product which I sell for $59 with no upsells (because I don't have any).

My total profit in September was about $14K.

In October it was about $12K.

It's now November, and I think my monthly total will be about $5K.

Judging by the way things are going, I think things will go back down to around $1K to $2K per month, which is where I have been at for about a year now.

The reason I had the income spike was because I had made a YouTube video that was a big hit. This resulted in a major traffic spike to my website. I was getting around 100 new signups to my email list every day, and I sales were booming.

However as expected, YouTube stopped feeding me this traffic. That "hot video" is now old news, and now the hot streak is gone. I'm still sticking to my schedule of 1 new YouTube video every single week as I have been for the past 3 years, but I haven't managed to get one to blow up like that one.

I think that the only way to take control of this is to start paying for traffic, which is what I am now doing. For the first time ever, I'm in the Facebook Ads manager (and pulling my hair out because it's so non-intuitive).

I had my first ad running for about 4 days, and out of 104 link clicks to my website, I had ZERO people even opt-in to my list. I realized that a "traffic campaign" wasn't the way to go. So I'm now waiting for the same exact ad to get reapproved, only set under a "conversion ad"...

I'm not feeling super confident about my paid traffic skills (which are pretty much non-existent), but I'm thinking that I MUST have a good product since I've sold so many copies with very few refunds....Therefore, I know there must be a way to replicate the couple amazing months that I had, but I'm just not sure how.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!
#happened #replicate #september
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    I'm curious... did you take most of the elements of that viral video and try to
    incorporate it into your Facebook ad?

    A lot of times, something that causes a video to go "nuts" can be reverse
    engineered and parts of it used in paid advertising.

    It's totally about the message and what resonated with your video audience.

    I've taken videos and articles that were a bit hit... and turned them into
    good performing paid ads by keeping the unique hook.

    Also, why not dig into the parts of that video hit and try to create
    a similar video with a new hook or new positioning... but trying to
    keep a lot of the same things that caused it to spike?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560448].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Make another video like the one that got you the 14k.

      Then another one.

      Seems like you need one every 4-6 weeks or so.

      That assumes no externalities at play. September is when school starts. Did that have anything to do with anything? Do you know?

      Soon it is the holidays; people buy gifts; then New Year; some resolve to learn how to play some instrument or sing or... Don't really know what your music product is about. But you should have at least one new video for each occasion; a bit ahead of it; and preferably more; ahead and during.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
    Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

    Not too long ago, I posted on here how I had my first month clearing $10K in September. I never used any paid traffic before, and I only have 1 single digital product which I sell for $59 with no upsells (because I don't have any).

    My total profit in September was about $14K.

    In October it was about $12K.

    It's now November, and I think my monthly total will be about $5K.

    Judging by the way things are going, I think things will go back down to around $1K to $2K per month, which is where I have been at for about a year now.

    The reason I had the income spike was because I had made a YouTube video that was a big hit. This resulted in a major traffic spike to my website. I was getting around 100 new signups to my email list every day, and I sales were booming.

    However as expected, YouTube stopped feeding me this traffic. That "hot video" is now old news, and now the hot streak is gone. I'm still sticking to my schedule of 1 new YouTube video every single week as I have been for the past 3 years, but I haven't managed to get one to blow up like that one.

    I think that the only way to take control of this is to start paying for traffic, which is what I am now doing. For the first time ever, I'm in the Facebook Ads manager (and pulling my hair out because it's so non-intuitive).

    I had my first ad running for about 4 days, and out of 104 link clicks to my website, I had ZERO people even opt-in to my list. I realized that a "traffic campaign" wasn't the way to go. So I'm now waiting for the same exact ad to get reapproved, only set under a "conversion ad"...

    I'm not feeling super confident about my paid traffic skills (which are pretty much non-existent), but I'm thinking that I MUST have a good product since I've sold so many copies with very few refunds....Therefore, I know there must be a way to replicate the couple amazing months that I had, but I'm just not sure how.

    I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    I can make some suggestions, mate.

    I disagree here:

    Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

    I think that the only way to take control of this is to start paying for traffic, which is what I am now doing. For the first time ever, I'm in the Facebook Ads manager (and pulling my hair out because it's so non-intuitive).
    To shed light on why I say that, I'll just explain one of the things I do for a living.

    I replicate spikes.

    And I do it in several different ways.

    To explain . . .

    I have no idea of your niche, so let's say that we're working in the sheep clothing niche.

    (Hugely profitable, BTW; more and more sheep have credit cards nowadays.)

    I have a channel, say, of 100K subs. A brand that does this:

    - Pumps out sheep-related videos.
    - Promotes my own sheep clothing merch.

    The channel pumps out a video a week and, on average, each video will see about 15K views for the run of it's first week.

    And then I get a spike.

    It does 150K views in its first 5 days, 1,000% spike.

    I obviously notice the spike but it's not the only spike I notice.

    Since I run a sheep-oriented brand, I'm constantly monitoring competition, large and small.

    - High sub sheep channels

    - Low sub sheep channels

    I have their video sections bookmarked under the two heading above.

    So, periodically, I'll look at their video sections and be ON the lookout for spikes.

    Side note . . .

    Spikes from low-sub channels are the most valuable spikes for me.

    I'm looking at, say, a channel with 10K subs. It's videos, in the first week of publishing, are seeing an average view count of around 6K or 7K views.

    Then, on a Tuesday, I notice it has a 120K spike.

    That little channel should, no way, no how, be pulling 120K views.

    Not with 10K subs.

    Especially not with a solid average, over the past 3 months, of 6 or 7K views in the first week of each video's run.

    Obviously then . . . it's an important spike.

    It's important because, that little channel has almost done the impossible. So just imagine what the views might have been like for my much bigger channel.

    Nutshell time . . .

    I'm looking here for spikes:

    - My own channel
    - High sub channels
    - Low sub channels

    And the duty here is . . .

    1. Find out the WHY behind each spike

    2. Replicate it (emulate, not copy)

    So what you're doing is attempting to optimise the menu of content on your channel by using spike data from the above 3 sources.

    (There are other ways we optimise our content menu, but we won't go down that lengthy rabbit hole.)

    So what makes a video spike?

    Well, these are the key elements where you'll find your reason, which will usually be a combination, not just a single element:

    - Primary keyword / topic
    - One or more of the secondaries / topics
    - Title
    - Thumb
    - Piggybacking a successful video (so it's like a sequel to it)
    - The video structure

    In the case of those low sub channels, the reason is usually because they've tapped into a topic that YouTube wishes to promote, and the channel's video in question is seen by YouTube as a great representation of that topic.

    So that, combined with good viewing metrics (impression to view ratio, watch time, retention, etc) convince YouTube that it should shop that video around, exposing it. Hence - the spike.

    So, going back to your situation.

    Do I think FB Ads is the only solution?

    Hell no.

    I think FB Ads is an excellent ADDITION. But it sure as hell isn't the only answer.

    Mate: your spike, the one that spiked your sales by 500% or more, is GOLD.

    You shouldn't overlook it. You can't!

    You need to pour over that video. Examine it.

    - Was it the topic?
    - Was it some tag?
    - Was it a word used in the title?
    - The entire title?
    - Something in the thumb?
    - Did it get shared somewhere with a big population? (Usually Reddit)
    - Is it getting recommended (piggybacking) a popular video?
    - Have you hit on a micro-niche that YouTube needs to fill?
    - Was it how you structured your video? (A certain grab? A list format? Etc?)

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX...BZBk3qlIlc2HRg

    See that channel?

    Her first couple of videos did millions of views. She didn't so much spike as BLOW A HOLE through the atmosphere.

    It was one of few times in living memory where YouTube reveal something huge about their ranking system without actually spelling things out for us.

    And it was something we've long thought to exist.

    YouTube favour some topics above others and when their vision of the IDEAL VIDEO is made - for a topic they wish to be covered - they'll expose the hell out of it.

    Hence the atmosphere smashing views of Jennelle's first videos (from a channel with only a smattering of subs).

    Nutshell #1:

    Maybe you hit on the right micro-niche and filled it with a video that YouTube deems ideal, or close to ideal.

    Nutshell #2:

    More likely, maybe you hit on one or more of the elements I mention above, bringing about your spike.

    SO!

    What I'd do . . .

    1. Learn why it spiked.

    2. Learn why your competitors are spiking.

    3. Try to replicate the spikes (but without delivering repetitive content)

    4. Emulate, never copy.

    5. Certainly learn FB Ads, they're a good tool obviously to master.

    Anyway! Before you write off your chances on YouTube, become a master of spikes.

    All the best, matey,

    Tom
    Signature

    I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560565].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      I can make some suggestions, mate.

      I disagree here:
      Tom that was awesome your reply may just be exactly what the OP needed, I am so happy to see that this forum has not lost what made it great the ability for value add and learning something new every day
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560640].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
        Originally Posted by Alfred Shelver View Post

        Tom that was awesome your reply may just be exactly what the OP needed, I am so happy to see that this forum has not lost what made it great the ability for value add and learning something new every day
        Thanks very much - I have my moments! I've been binging a lot on WF lately. There's definitely tons of value here. Lots of good stuff here and I like how the management are posting articles. That Enzo is a posting demon!

        Tom
        Signature

        I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560648].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
          Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

          Thanks very much - I have my moments! I've been binging a lot on WF lately. There's definitely tons of value here. Lots of good stuff here and I like how the management are posting articles. That Enzo is a posting demon!

          Tom
          I just got back here in the last 3 days and saw the same thing ... And Enzo is also dealing with support tickets and he replies extremely quickly ... Yes I am really happy that the forum is still relevant I feared it would lose some relevance ... but I am realizing the more things change the more they stay the same but with a lot more opportunity for those willing to to the time tested things.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RuskinF
    Don't waste your time on finding faults in the marketing strategy of your product.
    Try modifying your product according to customers' needs.
    Use the USP of your product and make a Youtube video around it.
    There's no use of changing the marketing strategy of your product, if your product doesn't live upto the mark.
    So rebuild your product and sell it's USP.
    Regards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560570].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tom Addams
      Originally Posted by RuskinF View Post

      Don't waste your time on finding faults in the marketing strategy of your product.
      Try modifying your product according to customers' needs.
      Use the USP of your product and make a Youtube video around it.
      There's no use of changing the marketing strategy of your product, if your product doesn't live upto the mark.
      So rebuild your product and sell it's USP.
      Regards.
      It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with his product. Every product can be improved, obviously, but the situation isn't about the product - it's about exposing the product.

      Tom
      Signature

      I Coach: Learn More | My Latest WF Thread: Dead Domains/ Passive Traffic

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    Is there any chance this could just be a seasonal downturn t? This part of the year in various sales environments can be huge, or can cause a big decline. Do you think the holidays help your product?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560616].message }}
  • You have customers, a lot of 'em it seems. Those people watched your video. They liked it. They clicked a link. They went on to buy it. That's arguable the most valuable data you have right now.

    Ask questions.

    Isolate recurring points.

    Refine.

    Create new ad.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560632].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
      Originally Posted by Tom Addams View Post

      ....
      This is really great stuff. I never really thought about analyzing the YouTube algorithm on this level. I dig it. Thanks a lot!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
      Originally Posted by Declan O Flaherty View Post

      You have customers, a lot of 'em it seems. Those people watched your video. They liked it. They clicked a link. They went on to buy it. That's arguable the most valuable data you have right now.

      Ask questions.

      Isolate recurring points.

      Refine.

      Create new ad.
      This is along the lines of how I've been thinking, but I'm not exactly sure how to do something about it.

      Would you mind elaborating on this?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alfred Shelver
    I read the OP again and i felt excitement for you, those are amazing numbers. Its smart to try and replicate and maximize what you had achieved and ask the questions you are asking, but have you taken the time to really enjoy the success. if you are averaging 1k-2k that max 24 k a year.You made 26 k in 2 months that is incredible! bask in that! Enjoy it! remember those emotions as you saw those numbers every day, there are very few feelings as awesome as making money on autopilot because of the hard work you put in. You now have a huge amount of data to extrapolate from. You are going to see something that you missed some key to replicating and honestly beating previous performances, but those Eureka moments often happen in a still happy and content mind.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11560638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    OP, make sure you study your video's analytics info

    The answer might be staring you in the face

    Also, you might want to change your video's description to call viewers to action so you can get some CONSUMER INTELLIGENCE

    Use this info to make EDUCATED guesses for content creation purposes
    Signature

    Build Your Passive Income Empire the SMART WAY
    Pay less / Earn More / Start Earning Faster
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Skywriting
    Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

    I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    You may have cleaned out the market for your product, worldwide.

    You have in your hands a list of people interested in buying your topic, right?

    So you, if you didn't spend your profits on drugs, then you should spend them making a
    $200 product, a $600 product, and a $1200 seminar presentation.

    I don't appreciate upsells either, by the way. But people say they work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561261].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AceOfShirts
    Do you have an affiliate program for your product? It could be a good way to bring traffic and sales to your site. This is paid advertising, and you don't pay unless a sale is made.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561319].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics