Can rankings drop after changing a websites name

13 replies
I changed my websites title,,just like seomoz changed to moz, only to receive a massive drop in rankings. I am still waiting to know if it will come back. Rankings drop came just after the sites title was updated on search results. Could site title mentions on the web be a core ranking signal??
#changing #drop #rankings #websites
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Yes, they can.

    Depending on what you changed, you might recover some (or a lot) of the losses in a few days.

    Logic says that if you change from
    Denny's ab machines to
    Denny's

    your losses will be bigger than if you changed from
    Denny's ab machines to

    Ab machines

    Or to
    Ab exercise equipment.


    Originally Posted by davyeminy View Post

    I changed my websites title,,just like seomoz changed to moz, only to receive a massive drop in rankings. I am still waiting to know if it will come back. Rankings drop came just after the sites title was updated on search results. Could site title mentions on the web be a core ranking signal??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578008].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WayneT
    Originally Posted by davyeminy View Post

    I changed my websites title,,just like seomoz changed to moz, only to receive a massive drop in rankings. I am still waiting to know if it will come back. Rankings drop came just after the sites title was updated on search results. Could site title mentions on the web be a core ranking signal??
    Bahahaha, Are you serious, if you drop a core part of your SEO identification ie SEOmoz to MOZ then where is the commonality, where is the flow into your market. IE The SEO market, NOT the MOZ market, (unless your selling mosquitoes).
    So wake up, do your study and stop wasting our time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578140].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Our?

      I do not feel mine was not wasted.

      Kindly do not speak for me.

      And, are things that bad at home?

      Originally Posted by WayneT View Post

      Bahahaha, Are you serious, if you drop a core part of your SEO identification ie SEOmoz to MOZ then where is the commonality, where is the flow into your market. IE The SEO market, NOT the MOZ market, (unless your selling mosquitoes).
      So wake up, do your study and stop wasting our time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashitosh patel
    yes...!
    you have to give redirection to the old domain with new domain.
    Redirect the old domain with new one for some time to recover the traffic from old domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578187].message }}
  • Oh, it will come back after some time. Wait for that brother.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James London
    Redirect and enhance your SEO skills. Surely that will work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578323].message }}
  • Yes, it definitely drop your website rank if your change website name.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    You shouldn't have changed it in the first place.

    Now only time will tell if your ranking will come back to where it was before.

    Wait a few weeks to see if things get better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maryjfriedman
    Provide some Quality Backlinks, and target the your drop KW in Links, for this Guest Posting is the best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      No. Change back to old name is best.

      Originally Posted by maryjfriedman View Post

      Provide some Quality Backlinks, and target the your drop KW in Links, for this Guest Posting is the best.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578639].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author maryjfriedman
        already Mention he change the website name and drop the ranking, more good and quality backlinks help to approve the website visibility in search engine and take some time for these changes.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11579657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hersbear
    Yes, you can lose rankings. Google had you ranked under one name and now you've changed it. It will take some time for them to realize the change and then re-rank you. It is also possible that you'll never get your old rankings back. Or you could get better ones. It is Google, after all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11578934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author venibbs
    Yes of course, you name is your brand. Re-branding could have adverse effects. Usually re-branding is always supported by very aggressive marketing and promotion, brand awareness and others promotional measures. imagine if Warrior Forum is turned to Tiger Forum....imagine what will follow,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11579755].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics