Amazon Affiliates/Associates Question.

18 replies
I am building my Amazon Affiliates website with a view to adding links to their products in a particular niche. How do you abide by their rules if you cant join their program before building your site? It seems a catch 22 situation I need the affiliate links to build my site but they want you to have a fully developed website?

Also the quote below is from their application page:

All the websites must be fully developed prior to the first referral and application review. Popular websites are not accepted unless you are the specific owner of the website.

What does "Popular websites are not accepted unless you are the specific owner of the website" mean please?

Admin I could not find a thread suitable for this question so if it is wrong please repost for me in the appropriate thread.
#affiliates or associates #amazon #question
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author agmccall
    Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

    I am building my Amazon Affiliates website with a view to adding links to their products in a particular niche. How do you abide by their rules if you cant join their program before building your site? It seems a catch 22 situation I need the affiliate links to build my site but they want you to have a fully developed website?
    You do not have to be a Amazon associate to read and understand their TOS
    Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

    Also the quote below is from their application page:

    All the websites must be fully developed prior to the first referral and application review. Popular websites are not accepted unless you are the specific owner of the website.

    What does "Popular websites are not accepted unless you are the specific owner of the website" mean please?
    What that means is, for example, you are a writer for the Huffington Post, you can not use that site when applying you need to have your own site that you own

    al
    Signature

    "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author garyogden
      Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

      You do not have to be a Amazon associate to read and understand their TOS
      al
      That only answered part of my question How do you get a fully developed site when you need their affiliate links?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589067].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author agmccall
        Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

        That only answered part of my question How do you get a fully developed site when you need their affiliate links?
        You do not need affiliate links to have a complete site. You need a site that is up and running. You need several articles. An article does not need an affiliate link. For example, lest say your niche is bass fishing. you would write. "How to catch bass from shore" "Spinner Bait vs Crank Bait" "Best Depth Finder", The list goes on. Once you have 5 or 6 of these articles you then submit the site to them. Make sure you put the required disclaimer on the site and the other required pages, which you will find in their TOS

        Once you are approved you go back to those posts and add appropriate affiliate links

        al
        Signature

        "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyogden
    That makes more sense to me now, so a few articles/videos/history of your niche and then submit site?

    Thanks agmccall
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

      That makes more sense to me now, so a few articles/videos/history of your niche and then submit site?

      Thanks agmccall
      Remember Amazon requires certain pages read the tos for info on that. But at least make sure you have a privacy policy page and the disclaimer. Amazon is not like other affiliate programs that only require the disclaimer to be on pages with affiliate links they require their disclaimer to be on all pages of site. So put it in the sidebar or footer

      al
      Signature

      "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589074].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author garyogden
        Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

        Remember Amazon requires certain pages read the tos for info on that. But at least make sure you have a privacy policy page and the disclaimer. Amazon is not like other affiliate programs that only require the disclaimer to be on pages with affiliate links they require their disclaimer to be on all pages of site. So put it in the sidebar or footer

        al
        Where would I get TOS?
        Privacy policy page and the disclaimer for Amazon products yo umean?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589079].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author agmccall
          Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

          Where would I get TOS?
          Privacy policy page and the disclaimer for Amazon products yo umean?
          https://affiliate-program.amazon.com...ting/agreement

          Sample Disclaimer
          As an Amazon Associate yoursite.com earn from qualifying purchases.
          al
          Signature

          "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589085].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Katherina Ro
            Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

            Sample Disclaimer
            As an Amazon Associate yoursite.com earn from qualifying purchases.
            al
            Last month I made my 3rd, they review my site than they said to me to change the Disclaimer.
            I had to reapply for my site, and obviously I write this phrase in the footer and in a disclosure page.
            I'm new as @garyogden but I can advise reading all the amazon affiliate rules every year (2h for me)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Just to add to what agmcall wrote: get the right pages and make sure your privacy policy matches what they want. Also, if your country has rules, make sure those are met (EU people have to have things others do not, for instance).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyogden
    Would I need to put a disclaimer on each page?
    Looking for Amazon's TOC can't see them for looking!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589251].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author agmccall
      Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

      Would I need to put a disclaimer on each page?
      Amazon is not like other affiliate programs that only require the disclaimer to be on pages with affiliate links they require their disclaimer to be on all pages of site
      You really need to spend a few hours on the associates central site reading and understanding. If you do not you will run the risk of losing your account shortly after you are approved or not getting approved at all.

      Amazon is very unforgiving if your account gets suspended it is more than likely going to be permanent

      al
      Signature

      "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author garyogden
        Originally Posted by agmccall View Post

        You really need to spend a few hours on the associates central site reading and understanding. If you do not you will run the risk of losing your account shortly after you are approved or not getting approved at all.

        Amazon is very unforgiving if your account gets suspended it is more than likely going to be permanent

        al
        Any particular part of the site to read as there is loads there?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589528].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author agmccall
          Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

          Any particular part of the site to read as there is loads there?
          everything.....

          al
          Signature

          "If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time" ~Steve Jobs~

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589966].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DABK
          What a strange question.

          Which part of dollar bills do you want to earn, left top corner?


          Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

          Any particular part of the site to read as there is loads there?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garyogden
    Also do I really need an "About" page?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589252].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris-
      Originally Posted by garyogden View Post

      Also do I really need an "About" page?
      Google will give you more free (organic) traffic if you have these pages; about, contact, privacy policy and terms. So take a few minutes to create them, and get more results from all your other work.

      You do not need Amazon AFFILIATE links to link to Amazon products, just use the Amazon link as it is, before you join their affiliate program, then change the links to affiliate links after you join.

      Chris
      Signature
      GROW your IM list for FREE, with my contest JV partnership. For a few minutes of your time (no cost) I will send you new list subscribers who are specifically interested in online business courses. Click here now for full details.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589270].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author garyogden
        Originally Posted by Chris- View Post

        Google will give you more free (organic) traffic if you have these pages; about, contact, privacy policy and terms. So take a few minutes to create them, and get more results from all your other work.

        You do not need Amazon AFFILIATE links to link to Amazon products, just use the Amazon link as it is, before you join their affiliate program, then change the links to affiliate links after you join.

        Chris
        Is there a standard Privacy Policy I could use please that you know of?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11589524].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author qwikaddotcom
    I would also encourage you to google "amazon affiliates who were banned" in my case it's the first title "Banned from Amazon's Affiliate Program: Now What?" of the search results.

    You have to be prepared for that too. The article actually gives some great insights into how not to get banned.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11590077].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics