How do you understand the target audience?

29 replies
What are you tips to understanding the target audience for a product from the perspective of an affiliate marketer that would like to promote that product.

Let's say the affiliate marketer doesn't know anything about the niche. What steps would you take identifying and understanding the target audience. What steps would you take to make sure the product is perfect for that target audience.

The traffic will come from Facebook Ad Campaigns. The target audience will be optimised based on location, gender, age, interests.
#audience #target #understand
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Skip Rozier
    This is a really good question (even for someone looking to
    develop their own product)! This seems to be a real question
    people have when it comes to marketing anything.

    Here is my most basic answer to this...

    First, you have to know what people want in general. For
    the most part, people want the same things ( a predictable
    outcome they feel good about that's easy to achieve)

    Read that again and again!

    When it comes to a specific niche, you have to "jump in to"
    it. You have to find out what people already know, what's already
    being offered (what's the most successful). Listen to what
    people like & dislike. Figure out what they want & show them
    how to get it.

    Personal Caveat - I'm not a fan of most affiliate marketing, primarily
    because you don't control the offer. You may be able to enhance it
    but you don't control it. In any marketing endeavor, the offer is
    CRITICAL to success!

    It's always about what people want. Again, find out what they want
    and show them how to get it.

    One of the best pieces of wisdom that I ever heard was from
    Dan Kennedy. He said, "Sell them what they want, give them
    what they need." This has been invaluable.

    Hope that gives you some insight.

    Good Luck

    Skip
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657203].message }}
    • Wow! Thank you for sharing your insights here Skip, this message is very informative. And lastly, I deeply love the quote you shared from Dan Kennedy. Worth remembering! <3

      Yes that is so true., thinking the same way also here. We really have to create our own strategic plan, think and innovate something in different way in order to attract and persuade the audience or customers before performing them.
      Signature

      I build high-converting landing page to attract sales and increase brand awareness : https://www.convertmission.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Skip Rozier
        You're welcome.

        I don't think there is enough talk about this. This stuff
        is foundational. This is what you build a business on.

        Good Luck,

        Skip
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11658027].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Ditfort
      Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

      Originally Posted by Skip Rozier View Post

      This is a really good question (even for someone looking to
      develop their own product)! This seems to be a real question
      people have when it comes to marketing anything.

      Here is my most basic answer to this...

      First, you have to know what people want in general. For
      the most part, people want the same things ( a predictable
      outcome they feel good about that's easy to achieve)

      Read that again and again!

      When it comes to a specific niche, you have to "jump in to"
      it. You have to find out what people already know, what's already
      being offered (what's the most successful). Listen to what
      people like & dislike. Figure out what they want & show them
      how to get it.

      Personal Caveat - I'm not a fan of most affiliate marketing, primarily
      because you don't control the offer. You may be able to enhance it
      but you don't control it. In any marketing endeavor, the offer is
      CRITICAL to success!

      It's always about what people want. Again, find out what they want
      and show them how to get it.

      One of the best pieces of wisdom that I ever heard was from
      Dan Kennedy. He said, "Sell them what they want, give them
      what they need." This has been invaluable.

      Hope that gives you some insight.

      Good Luck

      Skip
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657408].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Skip Rozier
        Glad I could help!

        I wish you the best of luck in your venture.

        Skip
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamell
    I think blogging would help too because it allows you to write content using keybeords that people are sestching for which likely means they are some what interested.


    I wouldn't sell the product directly at first using Facebook ass , I would advertise a an educational article relsting to my niche to raise awareness as opposed to trying to sell directly right away.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    You join forums they're on and see what questions they have. You read books and magazines on the topic, or blog posts. You survey people. You read survey results other people put out. You ask people you meet questions about things in that niche and make notes of their answers. You google one of the main words in that niche and see what google says were related searches. You find keywords in that list and let them guide you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657265].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      You join forums they're on and see what questions they have. You read books and magazines on the topic, or blog posts. You survey people. You read survey results other people put out. You ask people you meet questions about things in that niche and make notes of their answers. You google one of the main words in that niche and see what google says were related searches. You find keywords in that list and let them guide you.
      Everything above is true... information is literally at our fingertips. And as much as I agree with all of this.. heck I implement a lot of this - BUT I know what I am doing. For a new person? oh my

      My advice... Get into a niche... Sell a product YOU KNOW - as in have used it.. owned it, are already active in a community pertaining to it. In doing so... all of these questions are already answered.

      A person weighting 165 lb has absolutely no reason to be selling weight loss UNLESS 2 yrs ago he or she was 300 lbs. If you are selling a Keto diet product or plan you had better not be eating Raman and frozen food supplemented with fast food, and you happen to be allergic to coffee

      If in some way shape or form there is not a connection between YOU the seller / affiliate and the product... It shows.. you can read it in the text you write, you can see it in the photos you use... and think about this if you actually owned the toaster you are trying to sell, you would have photos of said item on your countertop in your posts and not some stock item photo stolen from Amazon.

      DABK's very insightful information works wonders for those that have been around the block a few times... It works wonders for those that have an interest in what it is they are selling and want to widen their knowledge... but for the new person selling to sell because what ever is in some hot niche... you simply cant fake it.. people read right through it and they wont buy.
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657317].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Chris Ditfort
        I agree. Thank you for your insights.



        Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

        Everything above is true... information is literally at our fingertips. And as much as I agree with all of this.. heck I implement a lot of this - BUT I know what I am doing. For a new person? oh my

        My advice... Get into a niche... Sell a product YOU KNOW - as in have used it.. owned it, are already active in a community pertaining to it. In doing so... all of these questions are already answered.

        A person weighting 165 lb has absolutely no reason to be selling weight loss UNLESS 2 yrs ago he or she was 300 lbs. If you are selling a Keto diet product or plan you had better not be eating Raman and frozen food supplemented with fast food, and you happen to be allergic to coffee

        If in some way shape or form there is not a connection between YOU the seller / affiliate and the product... It shows.. you can read it in the text you write, you can see it in the photos you use... and think about this if you actually owned the toaster you are trying to sell, you would have photos of said item on your countertop in your posts and not some stock item photo stolen from Amazon.

        DABK's very insightful information works wonders for those that have been around the block a few times... It works wonders for those that have an interest in what it is they are selling and want to widen their knowledge... but for the new person selling to sell because what ever is in some hot niche... you simply cant fake it.. people read right through it and they wont buy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657409].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Diego Aguirre
      You ask people you meet questions about things in that niche
      Of all the moves anyone can make this is my favorite.
      I'd also add watching YouTube channels about that niche, not just one channel but many, and try to look for common denominators
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Monetize
    Originally Posted by Chris Ditfort View Post

    The traffic will come from Facebook Ad Campaigns. The target audience will be optimised based on location, gender, age, interests.

    I agree with what has already been stated and
    you could also use a Facebook analytics tool.
    If you adhere to marketing evergreen products
    you really don't need to re-invent the wheel.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author piiweb tech
    If you want the target audience on a specific location. So, first, you create the strategy for your business and then perform digital marketing services.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SukhdeepSingh
    To understand the target audience you need to clear the product niche first, then do some Google to check about the product, try to catch the target audience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clayton1
    You have to mull around in that market for at least a year to be effective. Find your Facebook groups (audiences that do the thing) and join about 10 of them. But if you're not interested in the audience and what they do you're going to have a long road to toe, bro. Your market's natural language, then product. Personally, I never build for an audience I don't know. But if I do, I'm studying their language for insider terminology.
    Signature
    Ecclesiastes 9:10
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1Bryan
    Originally Posted by Chris Ditfort View Post

    What are you tips to understanding the target audience for a product from the perspective of an affiliate marketer that would like to promote that product.

    Let's say the affiliate marketer doesn't know anything about the niche.
    You learn what polite society won't say about the topic and say that. It turns off some. Turns on many more.

    We'll use wealth as an example. I grew up 'hood. Polite society won't say this. But poor people DO make poor choices with money.

    Say that.

    You call out the pink elephant in the room. 99 out of 100 won't.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 55sadhikar
    You can find target audience with the blogs. Should be a high traffic blog and now use tools like quantcast, alexa, facebook groups, similarweb and adbeat to nail your audience.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dimali46
    I think Instagram ads campaign better than Facebook ads.. Because of the last time i have just wasted my money..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657582].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CruxisKnight
    One tip is to search for keywords on Amazon that your target audience is searching and read the books they are reading. Especially the reviews, they have a good deal of pain points that people want solved.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author websignificant
    I would observe the estimated target audience, what they are interested in, what problems they care about, this can be done on social networks, blogs. Second, I would analyze search results, keywords and related searches. Than start and adjust along the way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author allegandro
    I do it likes this.

    is your audience consumer or Professional.

    2. if a consumer, gets a consumer mindset, what makes you tickle to buy a similar product. You can ask friends as well. It doesn't have to be your product, but something similar, why did people buy it and when.
    3. When you got your feedback, you will understand your audience better,

    When we talk about professional buyers, then emotion is less important unless it is, but then it becomes a consumer buy again.
    So let us assume you sell a rational product, this means it will help the professional buyer to save time, to make more profit, or any other professional reason.

    What is also important to know, in what stage is your audience, is it a young or experienced audience, what is their budget and how fast are they willing to buy. All those little things will help you to understand your audience better, step by step. And the more you know, the better you understand them.

    Besides the emotional part, the rational part is the easiest to find out, it's based on logic. A CEO of a big tech company is not waiting on a 25$ PDf how to make money online. And a 21-year-old IM started is not willing to buy a 250.000$ machine to utilize on his 200acres of land faster.

    To understand who is your audience, in age, type, value, and so on and you will understand his motivation to buy your product.
    Signature
    Struggeling with multiple supplier feeds?
    DoeeX solves it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657608].message }}
  • Figure out what they don't like about your Industry/topic/whatever and solve that problem as incentive to choose you over the competition.

    For instance: I was a Plasterer. If you wanted your home Plastered; how do I get your attention? How do I get you to choose me over other Plasterers? Do I talk about how great I am and how long I've been in business; making the "I'm better" claim like all the rest? Or do I figure out what you don't like about hiring a Plasterer, and solve that problem as an incentive to choose me over the rest?

    I know the biggest concern when hiring a Plasterer is having a construction worker in your home making a mess and upending your life for a few days. So that's what people don't like about the Plastering Industry. I should lead with that. I should build my marketing around being the guy who turns up on time, cleans up after himself and doesn't shit in your toilet.

    If I can solve that problem by making the process much easier and less stressful for you, then I have added an extra incentive to choose me over the competition. I have also demonstrated that I'm a professional without ever having to come out and make the claim.

    So rather than selling you on a professional job like ANY Plasterer can sell, I am selling 'peace of mind' and 'convenience'. Two very good incentives to choose me over the competition.

    The competency part of me being able to do a decent job, should be par for the course anyway. To lead with that alone would be to create my own competition with every other Plasterer who will most likely be leading with that. I need something different. Something extra. Another problem that I can solve ON TOP of the problem of needing your home Plastered.

    If I can do that effectively, you'd be a nonce to choose anyone else over me to be working in your home for a few days. It would be the obvious choice if all else is equal in the competency department.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mohitensett
    The easiest way to increase effectiveness for any marketing campaign is to target the types of people who are most likely to buy it. Children under the age of 12, for instance, don't buy Medicare Supplemental insurance plans, and retired men 65 and over aren't buying nearly as many maternity clothes as women from the ages of 18-45. So there is a strong incentive to match up the product to the audience.

    In other words, put yourself in their shoes, what would you want to buy as an athlete? This obviously can be applied to any area of interest, and you can alter your marketing strategies based on customer feedback and content performance.

    Hope this helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11657651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jefftrewhella
    Hi Chris,

    The first question that comes to my mind is, why does this person want to promote something in a niche that he/she knows nothing about? Just for the money? It's easier when you're truly interested in a niche.

    That said, if that person is determined to learn that niche, then a niche can be learned in a reasonably short time. But you'd need to unplug all distractions and bury yourself in that niche. Put everything else on hold.

    Sign up to the most active forums and other places like FB pages. Pay close attention to what their problems and complaints are. This tells you what they want. Give them this, and you're a hero.

    Find out who is selling similar items and get on their email lists. Observe how they talk to their tribe. Pay attention to the style of language and terminology they use.

    Become a dedicated student of that niche. Hope this helps.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11658587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mabu Map
    Selling my own products

    Connect to them via social platform like facebook is the best

    I know where are they from and how old they are...

    It's so good
    Signature
    Get Your Free Guide - Discover How I Generate Up To
    $250+/Day Online With This Copy-Paste-Profit System - Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11658652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jason100
    Understanding your target audience is the most critical factor. Here are some key points kept in mind for the target audience.
    The following steps should help you realize your target audience:
    1. Analyze Your Customer and Carry Out Client Interviews
    2. Conduct Market Research and Identify Industry Trends
    3. Analyze Competitors
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11658845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marc Cobb
    As a new affiliate marketer, it's common to feel overwhelmed as the affiliate marketing industry is very vast. Let's discuss in detail how you can achieve your marketing goals:

    The niche you choose perhaps is the most important element of affiliate marketing. While marketing to everyone can impact your sales negatively, so look at your competitors first. When you niche down it enables you to focus on gaining customers who can likely become your loyal customers.

    It's also important to know who your existing audience is and know the audience you're seeking. Approaching your audience directly while conducting user surveys is the best way to learn about them.

    Also, keep an eye on stats and where traffic is coming from. It will help you better target your site's visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11660140].message }}
  • Let's say if your niche is B2B and you joining a SaaS affiliate program, you'd find your target audience on LinkedIn and you can research them and find details about them there. You have to find where your target audience hangs out the most.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11661121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Annabelle
    Research and proper study, i guess. You need to use a month to understand who you draw in and what do they engage more. Study their patterns
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11661145].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics