Profitable alternatives to pimping myself out in the digital marketing arena?

by Roi07
10 replies
tl;dr:
I'm looking for a profitable direction in the field of paid advertising and marketing in general as an alternative to managing clients.

Background:
Been in the digital sphere quite a while, worked for an ad agency in the past, have a deep understanding & experience in hands-on campaign management (mainly Facebook/Google Ads), Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics - from strategy to implementation and documentation, as well as reporting using Google Data Studio etc.

Currently I'm freelancing.

Problem:
This market has become insanely commoditized, and people are willing to pay dimes for work that is complex, never-ending, and requires 100% devotion to get results. Clients don't realize that this "commodity" is one of the most important aspects of their business since it equals sales.

Rant:
I'm fine with selling.

But I'm tired of trying to convince people to pay what I deserve.

I know, for instance, that, if I had my own "core" business (say... remodeling) and I would implement the knowledge and experience on my own business, it would skyrocket.

But trying to make a business out of selling marketing as the main service is what feels to me like a waste of my skillset. A never ending cycle of pimping myself out. A never ending race to the bottom.

Question:
What are some interesting directions I should look at for increasing my income while utilizing myself to the fullest?

Business secrets are the most precious secrets. I don't expect you to share it with me.

But some direction would be appreciated!
#alternatives #arena #digital #marketing #pimping #profitable
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Roi07 View Post

    But I'm tired of trying to convince people to pay what I deserve.
    Well, you're trying to sell them the benefits of marketing, yet you seem to be having trouble marketing your own skills.

    Of course clients will view your service as a commodity if that's how you pitch it. That's why you differentiate yourself. If you feel you "deserve" more, come up with a more compelling offer. Market yourself. If you can't do that, why should you expect anyone to hire you?

    Otherwise, if you don't want the hassle of dealing with clients, find something profitable to sell or market and start a business.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11664122].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author homeriscool
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      Well, you're trying to sell them the benefits of marketing, yet you seem to be having trouble marketing your own skills.

      Of course clients will view your service as a commodity if that's how you pitch it. That's why you differentiate yourself. If you feel you "deserve" more, come up with a more compelling offer. Market yourself. If you can't do that, why should you expect anyone to hire you?

      Otherwise, if you don't want the hassle of dealing with clients, find something profitable to sell or market and start a business.
      I currently use my seo skills for affiliate marketing.

      I get well paid for it.

      The only person I have anything to prove to is myself.

      And once you do it once, you can do it again and again.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665391].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by homeriscool View Post

        I currently use my seo skills for affiliate marketing.

        I get well paid for it.

        The only person I have anything to prove to is myself.

        And once you do it once, you can do it again and again.
        Good for you. What does that have to do with my post that you quoted?
        Signature
        TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665394].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author homeriscool
          Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

          Good for you. What does that have to do with my post that you quoted?
          Sorry I quoted the wrong post ha ha
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    I get pitched a lot for marketing services. They tend to blend together.

    SEO people tell me they can get me tons of traffic. Or to be #1.

    FaceBook people tell me they can get me tons of traffic.

    Everybody can get me tons of traffic. Or put me in front of the right people.

    Every now and again, I get someone who stands out.

    I do not want tons of visitors. I do not want to be in front of the right people. I want to make a sale for $500 or less. Because, on average, a sale brings in $7000 and that, once all my costs are factored in, makes me happy.

    I do not care on what media platforms you post my name, or where you buy ads, or who writes the ads, or anything like that.

    I care that for every $500 I spend on you, I make 1 sale. I know you cannot guarantee that each sale is going to be $7,000. I also know that, given enough sales, I'll end up with $7,000, give or take a few dollars.

    I also care that you do not misrepresent me, that you do not promise what I cannot or don't want to deliver.

    Ever hired a plumber? Did you care what type of wrench they used to tighten your pipes? Did you care that they said they were the best? Did you care that they studies at the Most Amazing School for Plumbers? That they got the Best Residential Plumber Award Knox Indiana bestows on residential plumbers?

    You cared that:
    they fixed your problem at a price you agreed (and liked enough) within the time-frame you wanted without making a mess of your house.

    It's the same with marketing.

    By the way, why do you even try to convince people? Why not set your funnels so that those who need convincing eliminate themselves while those who are convinced they need the services of someone like you remain. Of those who're convinced they need someone like you, your funnels should separate them into those who're convinced that you're it and those who are not sure.

    Those who are not sure get dripped messages till they get sure or till they buy from someone else.

    You set your funnels only once. You do not need to keep convincing.

    Originally Posted by Roi07 View Post

    tl;dr:
    I'm looking for a profitable direction in the field of paid advertising and marketing in general as an alternative to managing clients.

    Background:
    Been in the digital sphere quite a while, worked for an ad agency in the past, have a deep understanding & experience in hands-on campaign management (mainly Facebook/Google Ads), Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics - from strategy to implementation and documentation, as well as reporting using Google Data Studio etc.

    Currently I'm freelancing.

    Problem:
    This market has become insanely commoditized, and people are willing to pay dimes for work that is complex, never-ending, and requires 100% devotion to get results. Clients don't realize that this "commodity" is one of the most important aspects of their business since it equals sales.

    Rant:
    I'm fine with selling.

    But I'm tired of trying to convince people to pay what I deserve.

    I know, for instance, that, if I had my own "core" business (say... remodeling) and I would implement the knowledge and experience on my own business, it would skyrocket.

    But trying to make a business out of selling marketing as the main service is what feels to me like a waste of my skillset. A never ending cycle of pimping myself out. A never ending race to the bottom.

    Question:
    What are some interesting directions I should look at for increasing my income while utilizing myself to the fullest?

    Business secrets are the most precious secrets. I don't expect you to share it with me.

    But some direction would be appreciated!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11664137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Serene Carmen
    If you are marketing for others and have had success why don't you start your own brand/business? A major part of ecommerce is marketing anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11664216].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author professorrosado
    The simplest method for you is to set up your own "sales agency". You pick a specific niche you know you can do well in producing motivated local leads in. You set up the sales/lead funnel. You talk with potential service businesses and offer them a simple 1 month trial (free). You refer any leads in your funnel to them..that's it.

    If you can produce results, I don't see how any business would not retain that producing funnel.

    Then, rinse and repeat in your secondary niche(s), etc.

    If you can't do this, then you're in the wrong business.

    What was your "Plan B"?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11664998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by Roi07 View Post

    I'm looking for a profitable direction in the field of paid advertising and marketing in general as an alternative to managing clients.
    The apparent not so obvious answer is to do what you do best, but for yourself? Basically put skin in the game and buy a product and sell it using what it is you are good at.

    Think of it this way...any time a company can hire YOU for paid advertising of say a product... there is enough margin there AKA profit - to pay YOU to do the ads right? And the end of the day who is making more money, the company selling the goods, or the guy running the ads?

    YOU have a skill that many do not.. you KNOW how to put eyeballs on offers with paid advertising. You can get paid peanuts to do this for others... or you can step up and start doing it for yourself.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TobiMDD
    As others already said its time for you my friend to find a product/service you want to sell.


    Lots of people struggle because they can't make paid advertising work, so you have a big advantage, simply find a product with a good sales funnel paying you big commissions and you are good to go.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author maxsi
    Why not to point => asset protection ?

    Do you know that business people need asset protection for their funds ? ....This is the case on which people contact you in order to get solutions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665405].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lmdrafke123
    Banned
    Unfortunately in this day and age, social media and consistently posting on multiple social media outlets will gain you the most traffic to your site.


    If you have a physical product, try renting a table at a local farmers market that can gain some foot traffic and you can hand out business cards and show your product!




    www.elkriversoapcompany.com/#LaurenDrafke
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11665800].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics