"Marketing rules" when your landing page has multiple options???

12 replies
Hey I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this specific question. I'm giving it a shot here though!

Anyway, I'm giving paid advertising another shot. To this day, I have never really given it a shot. However I think that it's time and I have no choice other than to learn this skill.

I'm a bit confused as to how to think about my landing page though. All of the information that I read is about when your landing page is either designed to collect leads OR whether it is a sales page....

My landing page offers the option to either sign up for a free membership (opt in) or sign up for the full access membership (sale)...

Therefore, I'm not sure how exactly to treat this. Do I run ads and think about this as a "lead generation" type of campaign? Do I think of this as a "direct to sale" campaign?

Any clarification would be much appreciated. Thanks!
#landing #marketing rules #multiple #options #page
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    If it were me, I'd create two landing pages - one for the free offer, the other for the paid. Then I'd run two separate ads each dedicated to one offer.

    That would make it a whole lot easier to test variables such as ad heading/text and landing page copy.
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

    Therefore, I'm not sure how exactly to treat this. Do I run ads and think about this as a "lead generation" type of campaign? Do I think of this as a "direct to sale" campaign?
    Lead generation... in general is setting up for an appointment, or a phone call etc. You are without question setting up a sales campaign.

    Hey buy this - Either one year or lifetime.. and if you are not convinced try it before you buy it right?
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707637].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
      Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

      Lead generation... in general is setting up for an appointment, or a phone call etc. You are without question setting up a sales campaign.

      Hey buy this - Either one year or lifetime.. and if you are not convinced try it before you buy it right?
      Gotcha, so it's definitely a "sale/conversion" campaign!

      The free option isn't actually a free trial. It's just a sampling of some of the content (1 course plus a few lessons). Once someone joins the free membership, then they are sent a sequence of 4 emails which give more details about what the full membership is all about.

      I guess having a few different landing pages would be the best idea as suggested above!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707651].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

        I guess having a few different landing pages would be the best idea as suggested above!
        I really dont like disagreeing with the likes of Frank... but the idea of a free lander and a paid lander goes against what would be considered "Standard Practice" I think I can go so far as to say - show me an example of this model... I can not think of a one.

        I can all day long show you page examples of there being a free trial an option 2 and an option 3 ( and some with options 4 and 5 - but you dont have these. )

        YOU ultimately want these people signing up for a paid subscription... that is the end goal here... thats what puts a roof over your head and food on the table, and most importantly allows you to sleep at night.

        If you go the 2 page route... the "Free" Route would be access to the free portion in exchange for an e-mail address so you can up sell them... and then the second lander would be just selling - without the free option? Option 2 has no incentive to offering YOU the opportunity to try and back end sell these people.

        Like Princess said One One One and One

        I would also be setting up a series of emails for the people signing up for the 1 year and offering the lifetime for an additional $89 - limited time 4 emails - one a week with a countdown to the number of times this will be offered... We re going to make this offer 4 times, this is the first of 4 dont miss out... next email we are going to offer this 2 more times dont miss out... This is your last chance - or the offer s gone.

        A single page lander gives you all of the selling leverage you need to be pushing each and every sale up to the $159 lifetime membership.. the trila and they will probably convert to the $69 year plan.... once they see the full scope of what is offered...as your existing members suggest - its undervalued - they will in turn see the value and cough up the additional $89

        Doing this right would, could, and should increase value of conversion 2.4X over what you were doing before... and you really should never have to run a "Special discount" ever again.
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707667].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

          I really dont like disagreeing with the likes of Frank... but the idea of a free lander and a paid lander goes against what would be considered "Standard Practice" I think I can go so far as to say - show me an example of this model... I can not think of a one.

          I can all day long show you page examples of there being a free trial an option 2 and an option 3 ( and some with options 4 and 5 - but you dont have these. )

          YOU ultimately want these people signing up for a paid subscription... that is the end goal here... thats what puts a roof over your head and food on the table, and most importantly allows you to sleep at night.

          If you go the 2 page route... the "Free" Route would be access to the free portion in exchange for an e-mail address so you can up sell them... and then the second lander would be just selling - without the free option? Option 2 has no incentive to offering YOU the opportunity to try and back end sell these people.

          Like Princess said One One One and One

          I would also be setting up a series of emails for the people signing up for the 1 year and offering the lifetime for an additional $89 - limited time 4 emails - one a week with a countdown to the number of times this will be offered... We re going to make this offer 4 times, this is the first of 4 dont miss out... next email we are going to offer this 2 more times dont miss out... This is your last chance - or the offer s gone.

          A single page lander gives you all of the selling leverage you need to be pushing each and every sale up to the $159 lifetime membership.. the trila and they will probably convert to the $69 year plan.... once they see the full scope of what is offered...as your existing members suggest - its undervalued - they will in turn see the value and cough up the additional $89

          Doing this right would, could, and should increase value of conversion 2.4X over what you were doing before... and you really should never have to run a "Special discount" ever again.
          This is great stuff!

          This is kind of what I was thinking too. I was thinking that making multiple landing pages would add complexity, and it would also potentially hinder the effectiveness of the working model.

          So I'm glad to hear that sending people to a landing page with multiple options is what you suggest. This feels much better to do it this way.

          Also, good call on the email sequence to the annual subscribers. I really like that a lot!!

          So far I've paid Facebook about $10 on the ads ($5/day budget), and the data says "3 website purchases". However I'm thinking that they may consider it to be a "purchase" even if someone joins with the free option. That was other other confusing thing about having multiple options on the same landing page.

          No worries though. Click tracking software can help with that.

          I appreciate the clarification and advice as always. Thank you!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707693].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
        Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

        The free option isn't actually a free trial. It's just a sampling of some of the content (1 course plus a few lessons). Once someone joins the free membership, then they are sent a sequence of 4 emails which give more details about what the full membership is all about.
        Is that working now? Because last year you posted:

        Whenever I did paid ads in the past, I would get LOTS of people signing up for free, but ZERO people upgrading.
        I used a click tracking service to accurately track this data over a period of 3 months, so I am certain that none of these leads that were acquired via paid ads became buyers.
        So one option would be to keep the landing page but work on your email sequence. But what you don't know is whether you're targeting buyers in the first place. Or whether the ads are geared to attract buyers.

        A combination of different ads and landers might tell you more, depending on how much time and money you wanted to invest in this. But it might be worth having a professional copywriter look through your funnel from ad to email sequence. If you can start converting those free members, then as savidge4 said, that's the ticket to your business.
        Signature


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707697].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
          Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

          Is that working now? Because last year you posted:

          So one option would be to keep the landing page but work on your email sequence. But what you don't know is whether you're targeting buyers in the first place. Or whether the ads are geared to attract buyers.

          A combination of different ads and landers might tell you more, depending on how much time and money you wanted to invest in this. But it might be worth having a professional copywriter look through your funnel from ad to email sequence. If you can start converting those free members, then as savidge4 said, that's the ticket to your business.
          All very good points!

          Yes, that did happen last year... However, I can't seem to remember HOW exactly I got that specific result though.

          I forget what objective I chose, but it did result in a TON of free signups, none of which resulted in a sale (at least not during the period that I was using the tracking software).

          I think I remember choosing the "lead generation" or "traffic" objective back when I did that.

          Now,.I have 2 campaigns running...one is "conversion" and the other is "engagement". The conversion ad has resulted in 3 "website purchases" so far, but I'm not sure if that means an actual purchase or just a free signup (which would be much more clear be having separate landing pages as per your suggestion).

          I'm going to give advertising a legitimate shot this time because I do believe this is the necessary next step. I don't want to have to rely on the algorithms of organic traffic anymore. I want to take control!

          Anyway...lots to think about here, but you all have given me some great pointers in the right direction. Thank you!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707698].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author savidge4
            Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

            Now,.I have 2 campaigns running...one is "conversion" and the other is "engagement". The conversion ad has resulted in 3 "website purchases" so far, but I'm not sure if that means an actual purchase or just a free signup (which would be much more clear be having separate landing pages as per your suggestion).
            There is a simple solution here... your face book ads... you have 2 of them... each should go to its own landing page - NOT your home page. On your end you can then track what each of the 2 ads is producing separate from your other activities.

            Here is why this is important. You so far have $10 in ad spend.. you have signed up 3 people... each one of those people cost you $3.33 to onboard. You simply have to put the systems in place to know if that $3.33 spend PER PERSON #1 is consistent, and #2 actually converting to a paid subscription.

            IF this is not converting to $$$ you have 2 options... #1 discontinue the ad... or #2 the what i would consider the smarter path diving into WHY your landing pages are not converting to paid subscriptions.

            Granted, the people signing up may not know who you are or have seen your other content out on the net - and then its a Authority issue - and with ads such as this... not much you can do there.

            I would probably be running youtube ads over facebook ads - where does your audience hang out? well they watch your youtube videos correct?
            Signature
            Success is an ACT not an idea
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707760].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Bkelly301
              Good call on the YouTube ads. I still have to get around to doing them...I need a nicely produced video first...my self-production skills are what has been holding me back from that. Plus I have SOME experience with FB ads already.

              I do use a separate landing page for the ads too. It's actually a duplicate of my homepage right now, but it is a separate URL.

              As far as accurate tracking goes, I have found that the built in tracking that comes with FB is pretty bad. I've always used ClickMagick for tracking. I'm holding off for a bit this time though...that service is a bit pricey, so I want to see if I can make the most out of the FB tools for now. I really want to learn FB ads in-depth. My budget isn't incredibly high at only $5/day so I look at it as I'm paying to learn the ropes.

              I WILL figure this paid advertising stuff out!!!

              Thanks for the replies as always... so much to learn!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707792].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author savidge4
                Originally Posted by Bkelly301 View Post

                As far as accurate tracking goes, I have found that the built in tracking that comes with FB is pretty bad. I've always used ClickMagick for tracking.
                So what about Google analytics? you can track the 3 actions.. free, Yearly and Life... and there is no cost to use it

                https://www.create.net/support/how-t...ogle-analytics
                Signature
                Success is an ACT not an idea
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707797].message }}
  • One landah, one leap.

    ONE thing to do.

    One. One. One. One. One.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Well i am not an expert and i dont know to much .But why you dont do both ? Me personaly i use my landing page for colecting the email and thank you page as a sale page where thei are redirected to the sales page .In this way i do 2 things i get the email and i also get a chance to get a sale
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11707807].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics