12 replies
First off, an apology - this isn't a rant. I lied. I just said that for effect. So sue me.

What this post is, is an observation.

An observation that might save you some heartache, cool you down a tad, allow you to see things more clearly and objectively and hopefully develop some razor sharp focus on the things that really matter to YOU!

There's a tendancy on forums to rant. Doesn't matter what the subject, but folk like to let off steam and hopefully get some other folk to agree with them so they feel validated or some other reason.

There's no stopping this activity, it's been going on since man's been able communicate and will go on for ever more.

But the thing is, you don't have to get involved.

I'd love to be able to harness the energy that's wasted on futile rants and arguments - I'd end up selling the surplus back to the national grid.

By all means be passionate. Passion for your business and personal life is fantastic, but being passionate about the negative stuff, the stuff over which we often have no control is pointless and counter-productive.

A lot of people get wound up by watching the news. Simply solution - don't watch it.

Some get wound up at things not working the way they should (computers, website, scripts etc) - yep, can be frustrating, but take a few deep breaths and be comforted in the knowledge that it WILL eventually work and blowing off steam in a forum is probably just wasting time.

If you can control your emotions, remain cool when everyone else is panicing, avoid the need to waste precious time by writing pointless rant-like posts, just accept that sh*t happens sometimes and get on with your business in a calm fashion, then, as much as the FTC would allow me too, I guarantee that you'll make more money.

Because, once you're able to remain calm and avoid getting uptight when previously you would've done, your brain can stay sharp and focused on the task at hand. Your ability to make good judgements will also remain (presuming you had it in the first place )

If you care to act on these suggestions you could find yourself with more time on your hands and more money in your pocket.

But then again, this is simply my opinion. Maybe you disagree. Maybe you strongly disagee. Maybe you disagree with me so much that you want to come round to my house, throw a few punches and steal my beer - well, if that's the case then I shall just take a few deep breaths and bask in the irony of it all.


Peter
#rant #rants
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
    Start selling back to the grid, lol.. I love it.

    Signature

    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408449].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
    Originally Posted by Peter Bestel View Post

    ...you want to come round to my house, throw a few punches and steal my beer
    What have I told you about targeting?

    I'm a non-violent whisky drinker. You can keep
    the beer, I'd much prefer to steal your Heather! ;-)

    John
    Signature
    John's Internet Marketing News, Views & Reviews: John Taylor Online
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408467].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Keith Boisvert
      Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post

      What have I told you about targeting?

      I'm a non-violent whisky drinker. You can keep
      the beer, I'd much prefer to steal your Heather! ;-)

      John
      Does whiskey taste better when the "e" is left out of it?

      But I do agree with your post, so you don't have to worry about me stealing your beer, although times are getting tough you know!!

      Self control is a huge aspect in working for your self...as well as keeping your emotions in check.

      keith
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408482].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
        Keith,
        Does whiskey taste better when the "e" is left out of it?
        In most cases, yes.

        Cue Riley/Taylor/Straw argument about the relative merits of Irish whiskey, scotch and bourbon...


        Paul

        PS: Gotta get Jim in there to keep things fresh.
        Signature
        .
        Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408566].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Keith Boisvert
          Originally Posted by Paul Myers View Post

          Keith,In most cases, yes.

          Cue Riley/Taylor/Straw argument about the relative merits of Irish whiskey, scotch and bourbon...


          Paul

          PS: Gotta get Jim in there to keep things fresh.

          lol. I remember a friendly argument somewhere about the "e" in Whiskey, just couldn't remember with whom it originated. Although I thought Chris S. was in on it too.

          Keith
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408584].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
            Everybody knows the best whisk(e)y is the one drunk loads of lemonade.

            Martin
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408672].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Taylor
        Keith,

        Originally Posted by Keith Boisvert View Post

        Does whiskey taste better when the "e" is left out of it?
        I try to avoid any amber liquid which contains
        all those nasty additives with "E" numbers. ;-)

        John
        Signature
        John's Internet Marketing News, Views & Reviews: John Taylor Online
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408817].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
      Spoilsport!

      Everybody needs a good rant once in a while.

      Having said that, these days, I don't let things get to me like I did in the past.

      I started a couple of recent rant threads, not because I was angry but because I thought the topics really needed to be out in the open.

      Martin

      P.S. Ignore the Scottish laird.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408521].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    I smelled liquor in this thread and just had to find my way here. >)
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Silas Hart
    Since we are ranting about rants, rants that have to do with other people not making the money they want, how they shouldn't be afraid to invest, how they aren't using their full potential, yadda yadda yadda, well they get on my nerves.

    If someone doesn't have the knowledge or confidence to do what very few people on here do (make real money online) or they are just too afraid, let them be. Only someone can convince themselves to earn that knowledge, to not procrastinate, to not be afraid of selling something online. Less competition is how I see it. Why should one person have to convince strangers to make more money?

    Everyone out there who is lazy or too afraid to make money online, don't. More for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408717].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Killer Joe
      It's usually Wishkey by the end of the evening, anyway...

      KJ
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408749].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
        Originally Posted by Martin Luxton View Post

        Everybody needs a good rant once in a while.

        Having said that, these days, I don't let things get to me like I did in the past.

        I started a couple of recent rant threads, not because I was angry but because I thought the topics really needed to be out in the open.
        I read those Martin. As you say, they were on topics that warranted discussion - there is a place for well thought out venting, as long as it's not just for ventings sake.

        Originally Posted by Martin Luxton View Post

        P.S. Ignore the Scottish laird.
        Why, what did he say?

        Originally Posted by Killer Joe View Post

        It's usually Wishkey by the end of the evening, anyway...

        KJ
        WhishkEy, wishkEy, whishky or wishky - I wish there was an All-In-One: Spirits and their spelling thread. :p
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1408948].message }}

Trending Topics