How do you promote yourself?

by blur
14 replies
Just curious - how do you promote yourself in your area of expertise/interest? Embracing social media and making contacts in your area is one, but what are others? (eg - resume building, linkedin, etc...)
#promote
  • Profile picture of the author tryinhere
    Originally Posted by blur View Post

    Just curious - how do you promote yourself in your area of expertise/interest? Embracing social media and making contacts in your area is one, but what are others? (eg - resume building, linkedin, etc...)
    I will have a crack at this, and i can only use a story my old pop taught me many many years ago when he was alive.

    i asked him one day about how he saw himself, or words to that effect, his reply was along the lines of this

    "Son I am unable to tell you what is good or not good about myself, what abilities i have mastered or any other form of self promotion or analysis"

    To me this was strange because this guy was a true talented business man he was extremely wealthy and admired by many.

    He then went on to say this "A person can not judge himself nor promote ones abilities, You can only be judged by those around you and they will be the people who decide on my abilities, worth and value to their lives"

    He always used to hit me with stuff like that, many days i would scratch my head with his cryptic clues, but here what he was saying is that you can not judge or promote yourself as you say, others must do that and in a sense they will then promote you based on the outcome they find.

    So my answer then is not to look for self promotion in your field but to instead offer to help those in your field, use your skills to improve and develop further the methods and outcomes in your field of endeavor and over time the people around you will be attracted to you and your work giving all of the promotion you seek and more.
    Signature
    | > Choosing to go off the grid for a while to focus on family, work and life in general. Have a great 2020 < |
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1424843].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      So my answer then is not to look for self promotion in your field but to instead offer to help those in your field, use your skills to improve and develop further the methods and outcomes in your field of endeavor and over time the people around you will be attracted to you and your work giving all of the promotion you seek and more.
      Great advice. Your Dad was a very wise fella.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1424884].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DogScout
      Originally Posted by tryinhere View Post

      I will have a crack at this, and i can only use a story my old pop taught me many many years ago when he was alive.

      i asked him one day about how he saw himself, or words to that effect, his reply was along the lines of this

      "Son I am unable to tell you what is good or not good about myself, what abilities i have mastered or any other form of self promotion or analysis"

      To me this was strange because this guy was a true talented business man he was extremely wealthy and admired by many.

      He then went on to say this "A person can not judge himself nor promote ones abilities, You can only be judged by those around you and they will be the people who decide on my abilities, worth and value to their lives"

      He always used to hit me with stuff like that, many days i would scratch my head with his cryptic clues, but here what he was saying is that you can not judge or promote yourself as you say, others must do that and in a sense they will then promote you based on the outcome they find.

      So my answer then is not to look for self promotion in your field but to instead offer to help those in your field, use your skills to improve and develop further the methods and outcomes in your field of endeavor and over time the people around you will be attracted to you and your work giving all of the promotion you seek and more.
      All the 'self-promotion in the world is not as good as how others perceive you and your value to THEIR lives. (Y)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1441797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    Short version: always produce the highest quality you're capable of.

    The rest of it takes care of itself.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1424854].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BWM
      [QUOTE=Zeus66;1424854]Short version: always produce the highest quality you're capable of.

      The rest of it takes care of itself.
      /QUOTE]


      I agree with John on this one.
      Signature
      domain for sale:
      >>cashmakingsites.com <<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1425131].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author shmeeko69
        Try to build good relationships with fellow
        internet users & to deliver good content
        always, as folk will remember you, If you
        serve up dross or misleading information.

        Mark
        Signature
        The Rock n Roll of Marketing Reviews
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1425262].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JMPruitt
    Be honest. If you are promoting yourself in a niche you are not an expert in, admit the knowledge you do have. say you are an enthusiast. One of my best sites, I promote myself as a total idiot on the topic. I share what I learn and all my mistakes. It builds more trust with people that way. When you hit a question or topic you don't know admit you don't and lead them to someone who does, with an aff link of course.
    Signature
    follow my relationship marketing blog for tips on building more traffic without relying on Google's whims.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1424903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mbacak
    Originally Posted by blur View Post

    Just curious - how do you promote yourself in your area of expertise/interest? Embracing social media and making contacts in your area is one, but what are others? (eg - resume building, linkedin, etc...)
    Here are a few ideas:

    Write an article.
    Make a blog.
    Create videos about your topic.
    Create a Squidoo Lens.

    But personally, I'd say the best things to
    do to really establish your credibility in the
    niche that you are focusing is....

    Write a book
    Do a launch

    Launches are not just about the money, like
    many people think they are good to create a
    legendary status in the mind of the market.

    Book help to do that too.
    Signature
    The Listbuilding Club (join by clicking below)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1424985].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Powers
    Well,I think the most important is to let others see your value of existence.If you're not valuable to the people around,then it's not necessary for you to promote yourself for you will definitely fail.So try to do something beneficial to others and then your influence will be enhanced naturally.
    Signature
    HostEase Web Hosting
    20% for shared web hosting with coupon code "hostease"! $7.95 per domain with coupon code "695TLD"!
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee! 24/7/365 Customer Support!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1425817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blur
    Thanks for the info everyone! I will definitely take it all.. Great advice from all. Sorry it took a while for me to reply, just got back from spending Thanksgiving with family.

    I actually found some great advice over at Mashable.com (under jobs) about promoting oneself.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1441785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DGA
    Never Sleep on you tube.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1441812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jobe4212
    The more you can just be yourself, genuinely, and help others
    with your areas of expertise, the more you will 'promote yourself'.

    I reach out and share what I know, even if not a complete expert,
    when I see someone has a question.

    I don't comment on blogs or Facebook with a link to my product,
    or use a rancid script on Twitter to trigger an @reply every time a
    keyword is mentioned.

    If you were the local hardware store owner,
    helping folks with thousands of practical answers,
    you'd be known for it, and folks would shop with you.

    These days we're in a rush to "grease the funnel".
    But we already have the internet; a tool entrepreneurs for generations
    before us could only dream of.

    -Let quality friends know that you're open to referrals.
    -Pay it forward with folks of integrity, even withing your general niche.
    -Ask people (potential buyers) within your niche exactly what would help them.
    Signature

    Good Health to You,
    Ed

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1441873].message }}

Trending Topics