Why doesn't everybody do it?

52 replies
Like I've said before I've been in the IM business for about 5 years. I'm not successful yet because I keep putting things off. I'm getting there though. The reason I'm tell you this is to lead up to what I'm gonna say now.

My husband snickers at my dreams of making money online. He's seen me make a few dollars here and there and knows that it's possible but laughs at me when I tell him I could earn a full time living doing IM and the amount of money I could make to the point that he and I both could quit our jobs and relax at home. He says he will believe it when he sees it. He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"

I'm not looking for responses to my husbands negative reaction to my dreams. I'm sure I know what you all will say about that. Don't worry I can't wait to prove him wrong and then he'll be wanting to know how I do it.

I'm looking for your opinions to the underlined question above. What are your opinions on that? I think that maybe it's no different than doctors and lawyers who earn a substantial amount of money or even investors. It's a educated learning and some don't want to be doctors or lawyers or financial investors or Internet Marketers. What do you think?
  • Profile picture of the author Lisa Gergets
    Because in the beginning it's damn hard work. Because it takes focus, tenacity, a tough skin and the ability to take lots and lots of criticism. Because it doesn't happen overnight, or even in months and months, for some.

    I think most people are just not cut out for IM for the above reasons...but those of us that are - we'll take their share, right?
    Signature
    Sign up to be notified when Success on Demand goes live, and receive a FREE mindmap that you can follow to create and launch your OWN IM PRODUCTS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edmltw
    It's probably too high up there for them to understand. Show them the first major paycheck you receive and watch how they scramble behind your tail begging you for the "secret techniques" to earning big bucks online

    Ed
    Signature

    Need A Easy, Drag and Drop Website Creation Platform?
    Click Here To Find Out More

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    L. "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"

    I feel sorry for you. Without your closest partner backing you up it's a lot harder to keep motivated. You really need a close mentor to bounce things off of so that you are not tempted to talk to your husband about stuff he doesn't believe in.

    Why isn't everyone doing it? Good question. I hope others come up with a better answer.

    You can make money hauling trash, big money, Waste Management does. Why doesn't everyone do that? People make big money in MLM like NuSkin, Amway, Avon, ok bad example because of the reputation of MLM, but why isn't everyone doing it?

    Money is made in real estate? Why isn't everyone doing that?

    I think your task is not to change your husband's mind about this before you succeed. Succeed and his mind will be changed automatically.

    You need a quick win, or a bunch of them. Selling services such as writing will bring in bucks fast and will slowly change his attitude.
    Signature

    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483430].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbode
    True Susan most people don't put in the time and effort to learn and more importantly take action...

    Or they just don't have a plan and are overloaded with too much different information...

    Many people simply don't believe they can do it, you must believe in yourself!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JEL0221
    I strongly believe anyone can make a living from IM! Some will make money faster than others because they may have a specialty(a great writer for article marketing, web design, out of the box thinker, etc.).

    Others, such as myself, may not be "great" at anything, so to counter this you have to be PERSISTENT and PATIENT. You have to try over and over different methods to see what makes money for you!

    I have been doing this (somewhat on and off due to time constraints from work and school) since April, have not made a dime yet, but know that I will when I find what I can be successful with.

    Give it time and practice, then show off to him while working from home everyday when he is getting in his car to go to work!
    Signature
    Future Options Trading, a free subscription on trading the commodity markets.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    I'm yet to see a successful internet marketer who wasn't successful in
    some other area before entering IM. Success is a habit. It has to be
    developed and can easily be translated from one area to another but
    very difficult to invent.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lharding
    Doesn't that question apply to any way of making money? It's just down to personal preferences, abilities, interests etc etc. Not everyone is cut out to do IM, some find it boring, some think it is too hard, others don't like the responsibility, most can't be bothered. I know lots of people that like to turn up for a job knowing they start at 9am and finish at 5pm, at which point they totally switch off. Depends what makes you tick I guess.
    Signature
    Lee Harding
    The Architect
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483456].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mr2020
    Hi Susanna,

    "Why isn't everyone doing it?"

    We could ask that about ANYTHING. "Why isn't everyone doing crack?" "Why isn't everyone a christian / buddist / hindu?" "Why isn't everyone eating more good food, and less junk?"

    People have their tiny little reality, that they think is right, and they love making others wrong. The happy crack addict wants his friends on crack, just like the happy christian wants everyone to be saved, etc.

    And those who aren't.... well they are missing out and they are wrong.

    Screw them. Either hubby supports you and your dreams, or he's letting air out of your tires. My ex tried many times to let the air out of my tires.... she's gone, my biz and my dreams are still here.

    You said you can't wait to prove him wrong, and he right now keeps making you wrong. Two wrongs won't make a right.

    If you both drop that crap and both work toward your dreams...

    Nuff said.

    Mr Twenty Twenty
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamiedolan
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
    I'm looking for your opinions to the underlined question above. What are your opinions on that? What do you think?
    Hello;

    I have some thoughts on this, but would also love to hear how others are going to answer this one.

    In this society, we have almost all been conditioned to believe that if you want to make money and have a nice life, that you need to; a. go to a good college, b. get a nice job c. work your way up the corporate ladder until one day you get that big raise / promotion; then your successful.

    Many of us are also conditioned to believe that success in business is the exception, not the rule. When in fact, we know little about why many people fail, my guess is that many of the failures where because the business owner gave no serious effort to the business in question.

    I suspect the underlying belief is something along the lines of "Well I know there are some people that are successful with this kind of stuff, but they must know something special, be someone special, etc. It just isn't something I can do. I am not good enough, I'm too old, I am not lucky enough..."

    Many people have lots of self defeating talk, I am not sure why, but I hear it over and over. It's like we have no self-esteem, no belief that we can succeed.

    Jamie Dolan
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author strong5000
    Because in the beginning it's damn hard work. Because it takes focus, tenacity, a tough skin and the ability to take lots and lots of criticism. Because it doesn't happen overnight, or even in months and months, for some.
    Many people simply don't believe they can do it, you must believe in yourself!give time and practice and show off
    practice makes man perfect
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483490].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
      Originally Posted by strong5000 View Post

      Because in the beginning it's damn hard work. Because it takes focus, tenacity, a tough skin and the ability to take lots and lots of criticism. Because it doesn't happen overnight, or even in months and months, for some.
      Wow, de'ja' vu.

      I thought Lisa just said that...line for line.

      We have found a new type of PCIP (Post Count Increase Post)

      Matt
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483591].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lisa Gergets
        Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

        Wow, de'ja' vu.

        I thought Lisa just said that...line for line.

        We have found a new type of PCIP (Post Count Increase Post)

        Matt
        Okay, what is it with me and the post-count-freaks? Jeebus....
        Signature
        Sign up to be notified when Success on Demand goes live, and receive a FREE mindmap that you can follow to create and launch your OWN IM PRODUCTS!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483618].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
          Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post


          My husband snickers at my dreams of making money online. He's seen me make a few dollars here and there and knows that it's possible but laughs at me when I tell him I could earn a full time living doing IM and the amount of money I could make to the point that he and I both could quit our jobs and relax at home. He says he will believe it when he sees it. He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"

          I'm not looking for responses to my husbands negative reaction to my dreams. I'm sure I know what you all will say about that. Don't worry I can't wait to prove him wrong and then he'll be wanting to know how I do it.

          I'm looking for your opinions to the underlined question above. What are your opinions on that? I think that maybe it's no different than doctors and lawyers who earn a substantial amount of money or even investors. It's a educated learning and some don't want to be doctors or lawyers or financial investors or Internet Marketers. What do you think?
          I think you can wait to prove him wrong. I think you are missing "fire and passion." To be doing this for 5 years, and know what your weakness is and not do something about it is holding you back. If you look on this forum, there are plenty of success stories of some who after a month are making regular income.

          I'm not saying this is going to happen for everyone - only because everyones ultimate plan and direction is different. Larger businesses can take longer to kick off.

          I think his lack of full support is harsh, but he is right in his "I'll believe it when I see it."

          Do you know what your future business looks like? What is your niche? When do you want to "make it to the point" that you and he can both quit your jobs? Will this be 5 more years from now? 10?

          Look, I'm the last person who wants to beat anyone else up and I'm not here to make you feel bad.

          But I think you understand, IM is just "internet marketing." It is just one method to market or promote ones products and services.

          Any product or service be it online or off needs to be set up as a proper business.

          You want to sell crochet stuff? Great!
          So you do market research to see who is buying what in the crochet world. Then you get product or create one.
          Then you build your site, and drive traffic to it.
          Then you constantly do what ever you can to improve your site, your rankings, appease customers, and grow your business.
          Like any business, you set goals and dates and deadlines. Will you make all of them? Maybe not - but you shoot for something in particular and focus.

          I don't "know" that it is there - but I am sensing a lot of noise and confusion coming from your head. If that is the case, you need to find a quiet spot and take some time to sort out exactly what you want to do.

          It appears your husband has lost interest - and to that I say don't involve him (for now). Get it together, tell him you are unavailable for one hour every day which is for you to focus on your business. Lock yourself away from him and make a plan and stick to it.

          Your business account should be separate from your personal account! That was a wise move.

          Own your business.

          You should consider creating a business in such a way that if you ever wanted to sell it - you could. You could provide a future owner with all the details they would need to keep it running.
          Signature

          "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483779].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author butters
            People don't do IM or any job where there is lots of money because they are lazy and want it quickly.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483794].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Susanna Dodd
            Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

            I think you can wait to prove him wrong. I think you are missing "fire and passion." To be doing this for 5 years, and know what your weakness is and not do something about it is holding you back. If you look on this forum, there are plenty of success stories of some who after a month are making regular income.

            I'm not saying this is going to happen for everyone - only because everyones ultimate plan and direction is different. Larger businesses can take longer to kick off.

            I think his lack of full support is harsh, but he is right in his "I'll believe it when I see it."

            Do you know what your future business looks like? What is your niche? When do you want to "make it to the point" that you and he can both quit your jobs? Will this be 5 more years from now? 10?

            Look, I'm the last person who wants to beat anyone else up and I'm not here to make you feel bad.

            But I think you understand, IM is just "internet marketing." It is just one method to market or promote ones products and services.

            Any product or service be it online or off needs to be set up as a proper business.

            You want to sell crochet stuff? Great!
            So you do market research to see who is buying what in the crochet world. Then you get product or create one.
            Then you build your site, and drive traffic to it.
            Then you constantly do what ever you can to improve your site, your rankings, appease customers, and grow your business.
            Like any business, you set goals and dates and deadlines. Will you make all of them? Maybe not - but you shoot for something in particular and focus.

            I don't "know" that it is there - but I am sensing a lot of noise and confusion coming from your head. If that is the case, you need to find a quiet spot and take some time to sort out exactly what you want to do.

            It appears your husband has lost interest - and to that I say don't involve him (for now). Get it together, tell him you are unavailable for one hour every day which is for you to focus on your business. Lock yourself away from him and make a plan and stick to it.

            Your business account should be separate from your personal account! That was a wise move.

            Own your business.

            You should consider creating a business in such a way that if you ever wanted to sell it - you could. You could provide a future owner with all the details they would need to keep it running.

            Have you been talking to my husband? LOL I"m just kidding. Some of what you said I could hear him saying to me. But thanks for the kick in the butt. I needed that.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483987].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
              Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

              Have you been talking to my husband? LOL I"m just kidding. Some of what you said I could hear him saying to me. But thanks for the kick in the butt. I needed that.
              And someone else mentioned that you may need to seek a coach or mentor. A coach honestly would really kick you in the right direction if owning an online business is really for you. Not to say you can't figure it out for yourself, but sometimes it takes someone to pull things out of you.

              Why doesn't everybody do it? That was also answered in this thread. Not everyone is self disciplined enough to own and operate a business.

              Sure, you can sell something on ebay today and make some money by tonight. You can claim by doing that that you've "made money online." Big whoop.

              Making the money is not the hard part. Any boob (myself included) can make money on the internet in one way or another and in 24 hours or less.

              It is sustaining that, doing the rinse and repeat, doing it over and over and refining your systems so it becomes less work to do so.

              You have to be an entreprenuer, and you have to build things from the ground up. Just like crocheting a scarf. You start with some yarn and a hook, you make the first chain, you go back and do the second layer, you go back and do the next, and before you know it you are watching TV and not even having to pay too much attention to what you are doing and your scarf is just "done."

              Systems become habits and go like clockwork. Some things get completed, and if you didn't miss a stitch you don't need to backtrack. If you miss one, you can see it typically early on, and go back to correct it before you get too far. You start with an idea or a laid out pattern to follow. You can deviate from it - but you know if you do that on purpose you may get very different results from what was initially intended.

              When you decide first what kind of marketing you are best at, you are pinning yourself down as far as what you can do. That is like deciding the stitch you are best at is a chain stitch. So now all your scarves have to be done with chain stitches.

              If you begin with saying "I want to make a scarf" then you have all kinds of options on how to make that scarf. You can use double and triple stitches, as well as the chain stitch. You see more clearly which ones will give you which results and which ones you will need (which saves you tons of time btw not focusing on the wrong things) - so then you decide which kind of stitch you will need to use to get the results you are looking for.

              Your choices and decisions go quicker and quicker, and in that one hour a day you can get a lot done. It's slow in the beginning to do the right kind of planning. It is work. But that end goal is what you are doing it for.

              If you spend your time spreading out in too many directions, things will look a lot like an egg dropped on the floor.

              Now go tell your husband to stop calling me.
              Signature

              "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484115].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author traderfx
                The Secret is.......

                Notice some of the previous posts comments.

                1. Having the right mindset or focus
                2. Believing in your self
                3. Having a plan
                4. Executing that plan
                5. Sticking to that plan
                6. Not giving up

                What do people want?

                1. Easy
                2. Someone to do it for them
                3. Instant results
                4. No risk
                5. Sit around and make alot of money

                Which of these groups will achieve success?

                Mike.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484453].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lance K
        Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

        Wow, de'ja' vu.

        I thought Lisa just said that...line for line.

        We have found a new type of PCIP (Post Count Increase Post)

        Matt
        I think he was trying to quote Lisa. He added a comment to the end. Perhaps he didn't see or doesn't know how to use the quote function.
        Signature
        "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
        ~ Zig Ziglar
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483647].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lisa Gergets
      Originally Posted by strong5000 View Post

      Because in the beginning it's damn hard work. Because it takes focus, tenacity, a tough skin and the ability to take lots and lots of criticism. Because it doesn't happen overnight, or even in months and months, for some.
      Many people simply don't believe they can do it, you must believe in yourself!give time and practice and show off
      practice makes man perfect
      GETCHER OWN POST!
      Signature
      Sign up to be notified when Success on Demand goes live, and receive a FREE mindmap that you can follow to create and launch your OWN IM PRODUCTS!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author milan
    Lol, pick some niches that he has interest in. Better, pick something he's passionate about (hobby, cars etc.) Do google searches (in front of him) on the related terms. Each time when a commercial site pops up say "another one". Than conclude with "See? Everybody is doing it .... Do you think those site owners must be online while I surf their site?".

    Too plain answer I know, but the question is plain as well...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bha
      I honestly think the reason is all the scammers. I think people associate making money online as a get rich quick scheme and do not believe that you can actually make money online legally or ethically.

      When people ask me what I do and I tell them I make my living online, people assume a lot of things. Porn, web designer, eBay, and some just look at me like I am stupid.

      I really wish we could break these misconceptions about internet marketing and get the word out there. Our economy would be better, people would be a lot less stressed and a lot happier.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MoneyRaker
    Let me answer your husband ......:

    First of all its a wierd question .... People don't do everything that has a possibility of making money .... either they do not want to (or) they simply do not know how to do it .....

    Yes ..... you can make money flying ...... Why doesn't every1 in the world start flying planes? ask him that!

    Additionally, not every1 in the world is comfortable with the online world ... all they know about it is chatting, working , researching, reading news and stuff .... in fact most people do not even know the key strategies to do a simple google search in the most effective manner ...... haven't u head ..... "can't find one good article on XXXXXX"... , and this is often something you can do in 5 mins.

    Also if making money online was not possible ..... than why would google be a multi billion dollar company? from where do they generate that sort of money? are they paying themselves?

    The fact that a huge online economy is established and growing all the time .... is a BIG proof.......

    Also, what does he have to say about the various ecommerce degrees that universities are offering today ..... have they lost their mind?

    Ask him these questions until I come up with some more ........ tell me what he has to say in reply - i'll be waiting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483511].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author swilliams09
    Why isn't everyone make money dealing drugs/playing basket ball/being a stand up comic? It's huge profits in that!

    Because they don't want to, or aren't so inclined. This is what you are inclined to do. "Everything ain't for everybody" that's what my mom used to say...I used to see that as a negative statement but now I see it as a positive! I'm not inclined to be Warren Buffet, and he isn't inclined to be me, doesn't mean we both can't be profitable in what we like to do!

    Keep your head up, move forward and find a way! Good luck!
    Signature

    Learn how to make videos that sell. Special $1 Offer for Warriors Only.

    http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...ml?view=modern

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    Here is another answer.

    IM is business. You are a business owner and you are running a business.

    Now, the majority of people have an "employee mindset" - that's why they work for others.

    Successful IMers treat IM as a business and they have a "business-owner mindset".

    And that's true for any other kind of business.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483561].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
    Because most people prefer things that are easy and within their comfort zone.
    Signature
    "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mmcintosh
    I liked all the above answers. Especially the one about the scammers. Their are many of them that make it sound to good to be true. That you don't have to work hard ever and can just rake in the money. The reality is that it takes hard work and effort especially when you are just starting out in business for yourself. Some of the people have bought into the concept of being lazy and making money is possible and when they see the amount of work needed they get discouraged and quit trying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lance K
    What I'm about to say is a tad blunt, but I'm really not meaning to be a jerk.

    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    Like I've said before I've been in the IM business for about 5 years. I'm not successful yet because I keep putting things off.
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    My husband snickers at my dreams of making money online.

    I think it's time to stop putting things off and turn you dreams into goals.


    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    Don't worry I can't wait to prove him wrong and then he'll be wanting to know how I do it.
    If that's the case, why have you been unsuccessful for 5 years?

    IMO, it would be much more fruitful (although it may be difficult) to have a sit down with your husband and lay it all out on the table. Get his support.

    In some situations, spite and proving naysayers wrong can be a great motivator. But it doesn't seem like the healthiest option when it's a spouse. And I assume that may be why you haven't done it over the past 5 years. When you're on different sides of the issue, there's always 1 winner and 1 loser regardless of the outcome. And that's a recipe for resentment.

    I hope you find at least part of this to be helpful.
    Signature
    "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
    ~ Zig Ziglar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483633].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susanna Dodd
      Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

      What I'm about to say is a tad blunt, but I'm really not meaning to be a jerk.





      I think it's time to stop putting things off and turn you dreams into goals.




      If that's the case, why have you been unsuccessful for 5 years?

      IMO, it would be much more fruitful (although it may be difficult) to have a sit down with your husband and lay it all out on the table. Get his support.

      In some situations, spite and proving naysayers wrong can be a great motivator. But it doesn't seem like the healthiest option when it's a spouse. And I assume that may be why you haven't done it over the past 5 years. When you're on different sides of the issue, there's always 1 winner and 1 loser regardless of the outcome. And that's a recipe for resentment.

      I hope you find at least part of this to be helpful.
      I love this forum. It's a place I can talk to people like me who understand this business.

      But to answer your question, why I've been unsuccessful for 5 years? Well, it took me that long to really figure out what type of marketing I wanted to do, understood, or could even be good at. Plus, because I failed at so many different ones, I guess you could say I was afraid of failure. But not anymore. I know what I have to do, but right now I'm trying to be careful in how I go about doing my business. I want to make sure I'm getting it right and not do repeats of my failures.

      I'm glad I found this forum. This is a great place to learn what to do and not do and make friends doing the same thing I'm doing. It's great to talk to people who understand. Don't worry, my husband will come around. Then we'll be doing this thing together hopefully.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483723].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    Oh, back to the OP...

    There is an internal and external motivator that drives us all. The external is the most dominate in the world because it is tied into our direct relationship to the physical needs like food, rent, and the like.

    If we don't make money we don't have food. We are driven externally to find a job.

    On the other hand, the desire to have more relies on the internal motivator and that is harder to activate. It operates from "belief". If we don't have enough "faith" in our abilities then we don't take enough action to achieve our desires.

    Of course this is all stuff we have heard before but there is another element that I discovered for myself many years ago.

    I found that I also need momentum. Most people do not take enough action to get the momentum needed to keep rolling along until they achieve success.

    Most people stop just before the "snowball" begins to start rolling on it's own.

    So a lot of folks start something because they heard that it works but they have a "wait and see" attitude and "wait and see" isn't strong enough to get momentum.

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mgkimsal
    It's possible to become a medical doctor and earn millions per year. Why doesn't everyone do that?

    It's possible to become a lawyer and earn tens of millions per case (think class actions). Why doesn't everyone do that?

    It's possible to play football and earns millions. Why doesn't everyone do that?

    It's possible to do *many* things and succeed. Why doesn't everyone do that?

    As others have said - it's mostly cause it's a *huge* amount of hard work. Even in cases where it's not necessarily a huge amount of work, it takes doing things that make you uncomfortable to get to where you can be comfortable.

    I'm not yet making a full time living solely from info marketing, but I'm close, and it's taken the better part of 18 months to get here. I've had a supportive spouse, which makes a huge difference. But we've had to sacrifice a few things along the way in the short term to make this endeavour more practical.

    I suspect if you have a spouse or partner who is not supportive you'll have an extra set of problems that some of us (fortunately) don't have to deal with.
    Signature

    Michael Kimsal
    http://heywords.com/ - for article writers

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Susanna Dodd
    I've tried many times to show him about the different niches and how one could make money with them, but he does not want to see it. I had his support in the very beginning and I blew it by not sticking with it. All he saw was money going out and no money coming in. So we devised a plan that I had a separate account specifically for my "business" and a certain amount of money from our daily jobs would go into it.

    So I started investing my time in the little things that can make you money like PTC sites and Paid emails, etc., something that I can earn a dollar or two all while I do my research on IM to become successful in my business. Once he sees that he will want a piece of knowledge from me to show him how it's all done.

    I also do crafts like crochet and knitting. I've actually sold a couple. He wants me to go into that business because he knows the money is good there. He wants me to promote that online somehow, but I'm not sure how. I've tried to make a site but it flopped, and the desire to sit down and make crafts all day is not my idea of making money. I mean I like doing that but I don't want to feel rushed doing it for business. Does that make sense? Sorry I'm rambling, just thought I'd give you a little more insight on why he does not believe in this business right now. Part of me thinks he's afraid to admit I'm right......
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scsifix1
    Big money is being made out there and it's really up to you if you want it bad enough. This economic downturn has affected my industry and has forced me to finally take a serious look into IM. I've had a few of my sites hit the first page of Google and Yahoo for some niche products and services that I've targeted. The money isn't there yet but I see a lot of progress. Once you have made your decision to go for it, Study,Plan,Focus and Execute your steps. Success is directly determined by your own will and determination to succeed in your endeavor. Good luck and PROSPER
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483789].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KathleenHobbins
    One reason that a lot of people aren't doing it is that there isn't a definite career path to be an independent internet marketer. When I decided to be a lawyer, I went to law school. I graduated, took the bar exam, got sworn in and got a job.

    When I became interested in internet marketing, I found a whole lot of scams. I went to a seminar that tried to sell me licenses to websites for $7,000. Then I saw a bunch of commercials and infomercials that claim that you can retire to Hawaii working 4 hours a week. Then I started getting emails saying that I can sell things on Google and all I have to do is invest in $1,000 in inventory a month.

    I have struggled to become successful and I'm not there yet, partly because I had to find out on the fly what to do. It took a lot of trial and error. It took me 3 years to find this forum.

    You may have experienced some of that, too, Susanna. It's part of the life of an entrepreneur not to quite know how to do what you want to do, but to find a way to do it anyway.

    Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author catherine ford
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    Like I've said before I've been in the IM business for about 5 years. I'm not successful yet because I keep putting things off. I'm getting there though. The reason I'm tell you this is to lead up to what I'm gonna say now.

    My husband snickers at my dreams of making money online. He's seen me make a few dollars here and there and knows that it's possible but laughs at me when I tell him I could earn a full time living doing IM and the amount of money I could make to the point that he and I both could quit our jobs and relax at home. He says he will believe it when he sees it. He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"

    I'm not looking for responses to my husbands negative reaction to my dreams. I'm sure I know what you all will say about that. Don't worry I can't wait to prove him wrong and then he'll be wanting to know how I do it.

    I'm looking for your opinions to the underlined question above. What are your opinions on that? I think that maybe it's no different than doctors and lawyers who earn a substantial amount of money or even investors. It's a educated learning and some don't want to be doctors or lawyers or financial investors or Internet Marketers. What do you think?
    I think you should listen to this

    #


    So shouold anyone else you still have time to listen to it and implement the changes and start making the money you deserve in 2010. I listened to the whole video today........gobsmacked
    Catherine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KristiDaniels
    Walmart made Sam Walton rich. Google made a couple of students rich. House flipping made a lot of people rich. Forex has made a lot of people rich. There are a lot of rich real estate agents.

    Why isn't everyone doing those things?

    For a lot of reasons. Not everyone wants to be rich. Not everyone wants to do those things. Not everyone is willing to do the work it takes to make a lot of money in any field.

    The question implies that if someone works that everyone would be doing it. That's a really dumb assumption. Saving when you are young works. How many people do that? Not eating sugar works for making you healthier for a much longer time. How many people do that?

    People rarely do the thing that works. That is a basic description of the state of humanity. If people did everything that worked, we would live forever, have no divorces, all be rich, all be healthy, no wars would ever happen and the world would be a utopia.

    It's not. Because the assumption is wrong. People don't do what works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1483940].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author girlpsychic
      Wow Catherine - you made my day with that Earl Nightingale video - truly inspiring stuff! Thank you
      Signature

      Professional Designs, Crazy Prices, Service with a smile!!
      Visit My Website My Design Gallery or Email me direct.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Bridges
    :confused: I have the very same problem with my wife and friends! none of them believe in IM so it is hard to keep your motivation at times! I think the reason why a lot of people are not doing this is because lots of people have preconceptions that Internet sight based businesses are 9/10 run by con merchants!
    Well i know that is not true and it is definitely not my belief as i have met a lot of good people who run IM sites in my previous line of work.
    Yes i am a newbie to IM i have been going nearly 2 weeks now and yes there is loads to learn but there is such a huge market out there and many non believers just don't realise the potential in what we all strive for.

    My advise is keep going have thick skin keep positive at all times always have the "I WILL SUCCEED ATTITUDE" even when you feel like its not going anywhere and things will happen! "P.M.A."
    "POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE"
    go's along way in life and business. Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484005].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Susanna Dodd
      Originally Posted by Ben Bridges View Post

      :confused: I have the very same problem with my wife and friends! none of them believe in IM so it is hard to keep your motivation at times! I think the reason why a lot of people are not doing this is because lots of people have preconceptions that Internet sight based businesses are 9/10 run by con merchants!
      Well i know that is not true and it is definitely not my belief as i have met a lot of good people who run IM sites in my previous line of work.
      Yes i am a newbie to IM i have been going nearly 2 weeks now and yes there is loads to learn but there is such a huge market out there and many non believers just don't realise the potential in what we all strive for.

      My advise is keep going have thick skin keep positive at all times always have the "I WILL SUCCEED ATTITUDE" even when you feel like its not going anywhere and things will happen! "P.M.A."
      "POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE"
      go's along way in life and business. Good luck
      Glad to hear I'm not alone in the "support of the family" mode.

      I wanted to add here to answer some questions in previous posts above if I did not say so, was that I do have a niche (finally!) and now I'm just doing the research to make it work for me. I do want this and yes I was in a slump before but now I must make this work for me.

      I didn't mean to start an uproar about this, but I do thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. This is a great place for that.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484028].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beldin
    I'd say it's due to the hard work and no return that a lot of people see in the beginning. The learning curve seems to be pretty steep... a lot of people saying that going from zero/month to 100/month is the biggest hurtle and I have to agree. After that it's just rinse and repeat.

    There are WAY to many products for sale that have the latest and greatest secrets and getting sidetracked by it all is easy to do. We want to see instant results and when we don't we get discouraged.

    It would be like going to law school and getting upset after the 3rd week of classes because you weren't making any money. That seems so ridiculous because you haven't completed the education... I think the same thing applies. Sure you'll make some money along the way, or you may be lucky and get rich out of the box (but I think those are the exceptions)....

    Stick with it, look at it all as a learning experience. Stop looking for the next greatest product to buy that will get you "listed in minutes" or "1,000,000 backlinks" or whatever and focus on the basics.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redfoxseo
    If it makes you feel any better it took me 5 yers to start to make some serious money doing this. Before then it was as you say pennies here and pennies there. What I have had to do is stop checking my stats every 5 minutes and start doing productive things like writing and building links..Right now for the month of Dec with CJ alone I am sitting at over $3000. This has been consistent for some time now. But it took 5 years to start putting plans into action..
    Signature

    A great place to get Coupon Inserts

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Beldin
    Oh... and if you are getting negative feedback from people... there are two ways to deal with that.

    1) Just don't tell anybody.
    2) Ignore them.

    People will drain you of your energy... there are plenty of historical references where people told others that what they were doing is impossible. If they listened think of all the things we would not have... electricity, airplanes....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ben Bridges
      Originally Posted by Beldin View Post

      Oh... and if you are getting negative feedback from people... there are two ways to deal with that.

      1) Just don't tell anybody.
      2) Ignore them.

      People will drain you of your energy... there are plenty of historical references where people told others that what they were doing is impossible. If they listened think of all the things we would not have... electricity, airplanes....
      I totaly agree!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Puddy
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    Like I've said before I've been in the IM business for about 5 years. I'm not successful yet because I keep putting things off. I'm getting there though. The reason I'm tell you this is to lead up to what I'm gonna say now.

    My husband snickers at my dreams of making money online. He's seen me make a few dollars here and there and knows that it's possible but laughs at me when I tell him I could earn a full time living doing IM and the amount of money I could make to the point that he and I both could quit our jobs and relax at home. He says he will believe it when he sees it. He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"

    I'm not looking for responses to my husbands negative reaction to my dreams. I'm sure I know what you all will say about that. Don't worry I can't wait to prove him wrong and then he'll be wanting to know how I do it.

    I'm looking for your opinions to the underlined question above. What are your opinions on that? I think that maybe it's no different than doctors and lawyers who earn a substantial amount of money or even investors. It's a educated learning and some don't want to be doctors or lawyers or financial investors or Internet Marketers. What do you think?

    For the same reasons not everybody cant get to the top of any chosen profession, there needs to be an heirarchy, with non skilled labour all the way up to the ceo.

    Some people are willing to do what needs to be done to make it big, some are not its that simple

    Robert
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484046].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
      But what he may be saying is "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why aren't YOU doing it?".

      If he's watched you try for five years, it's not surprising he's skeptical and won't believe it till he sees it.

      So show him.:p Maybe making a bet with him about what you can do in the next six months or one year will motivate you into getting it done.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hesaidblissfully
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
    There's a big difference between "possible" and "easy". Just because it's possible to make money doing something doesn't mean it's easy.

    More importantly, what you're talking about is more than just making money from the computer while you relax at home. You're talking about starting and running a business. Not everyone is interested in being an entrepreneur, let alone in doing all the work that comes along with it.

    The reality is that there's a lot of failure and setbacks that come along with building a business. Some people will persist and eventually find success. Many others will dabble and give up once they hit some resistance.

    To put it another way, "everybody's not doing it" because it's easier to NOT succeed in business than it is to succeed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484058].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Brock
    I see one two things wrong. Don't take these negatively, I'm just trying to help.

    1) Your mindset is screwing with your results. You are letting people put you down with their criticisms. Take those criticisms and use them as fuel, instead of letting them put out your fire. You get a lot of flak for working online, trust me. I have had all sorts of people tell me crap like 'you're just wasting your time', 'you're a scammer!'(because I make money online), 'when are you going to get a real job?', hell some people outright laugh when I tell them what I do. I welcome these responses with open arms because after that I go and hit the grind even harder.

    When I started my first business online, I was real excited and told all of my friends(we were 16 at the time). I was like 'hey guys I started this online business and I'm already making $400/m!'.

    They all laughed at me and were like 'dude I can get a job during the summer and make $1000/m'.

    Their comments changed when I came back 2 months later making $2,000/m.

    By the end of the school year I pulled in over $50k and not one of them ever has said anything negative about my online activities since.

    What is even funnier is those same people that once laughed at me bought my make money online courses.

    Not one of them has done anything with it.

    2) You are still 'dreaming' IMO. The comment about wanting to learn everything about IM before you jump in is the problem. You don't need to learn everything. Learn one thing, one method, work it until you master it, and then work it some more, and move on to the next bigger thing.

    I started out in IM with a $30 affiliate marketing course 6 months ago, worked my way up to $4,000/m, then moved onto product creation(while I continue to build new websites as well).

    I didn't need to buy a whole crap ton of courses, nor spend years trying to learn what I needed to learn.

    I bought the course, did what it told me to do, developed it into my own little thing, and started to make some real money.
    Signature
    Clickbank #1 Best Seller: The Deadbeat Super Affiliate.
    Click here to learn how to make money online in your bath robe and gym socks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484202].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theemperor
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    He says that "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
    That's a good question.

    I believe it is possible to earn good money from IM, it is the most scalable business you can imagine, with a $10 hostgator account you can handle 1000's of visitors and customers of your product. Not possible with bricks & mortar.

    The reason everyone isn't doing it is simple - it's not easy by a long shot. It's not easy to make big money. It requires skill, knowledge, confidence, luck, hard work, a long-term view and commitment. I hope I can make it! I hope you do too and prove the hubby wrong.

    If you want a shortcut I would suggest buying a profitable site that needs some improvement or further marketing ... the return of investment on your time spent will be much improved. E.g. 1 hours slog = $10 profit instead of $0.05.

    I did this and I am glad I did, I have a shortcut that saved me probably 1 year of creating income from first-principles. Also it gave me the confidence that it is possible to make good money online - I see the results in my clickbank account every day

    Good luck, hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484279].message }}
  • Not for nothin', but I think you should combine your crafting skills with what you've learned about IM.

    It's a bit shocking that you've not made money in five years of trying. Put up a blog post every day for five years -- and do nothing else -- and you should be making enough off adsense to shut your hubby up.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PVReymond
    Susanna, making money on the Internet is not that hard...

    Everything boils down to knowing where to go, what to do and how to do it. Once you know it everything becomes easier, if you don't know these things then you struggle forever.

    The key is to find someone who can teach you the ropes, this way you save time and money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484368].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seasoned
    Originally Posted by Susanna Dodd View Post

    "if this is so possible to earn that kind of money, then why isn't everybody doing it?"
    Want a really good followup question to get him thinking?

    If the internet is so great, why isn't everyone on it?

    PART of the answer to both is TECHNOPHOBIA!

    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1484505].message }}

Trending Topics