Should I report this dude?

55 replies
Fellow warriors,

A couple of weeks ago someone tried to make a fraudulent purchase for one of my products. He tried to pay me 5 cents for a $17 product (I won't get into details of how he did this). He was not successful, but I have a record of the PayPal transaction and fraud alert from Rapid Action Profits...

Next, he tried a brute force attack on my server and try to find an open download page and/or other vulnerabilities...also unsuccessful. I have records of this attack along with an IP address matching the PayPal transaction. :-)

Curious to hear your opinion...should I report this guy to PayPal for fraud?

Wil
#dude #report
  • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
    It's unlikely that PayPal is going to do anything about it. They'll probably cite privacy issues and such, and say they can't do anything without a court order.

    I'm just guessing, because I've never actually dealt with this situation, but the only way you're likely to get any real results from this is if you seek an attorney and get a court order. And that would be far too expensive to justify doing it. The guy knows it, which is probably why he did it.

    You can go ahead and try reporting it to PayPal. Hopefully they will do something about it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DoubleYourWay
    Of course. Report him to his ISP too. You'll be helping the world if you can prevent him from doing fraud again.
    Signature

    Please read the sig file rules

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pjlloyd
    Banned
    The only way we can stop these people is by self moderating so we should report everycase. Whether something is done about this is then down to the authorities............
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sparhawke
    The was a case some weeks back where a relatively tiny computer games company in England took a hacker to court over his stealing of internet games computer characers by hacking and phishing.

    The trouble is that the credit card companies, banks and major stores all do not care enough to take them to court and get them prosecuted therefore they get away with it time and again.

    I am sure he will feel the pinch if his rights to credit cards, internet and all other such needed amenities was taken away.
    Signature
    “Thinking is easy, Acting is difficult
    And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
    Originally Posted by Wilson Mattos View Post

    Fellow warriors,

    A couple of weeks ago someone tried to make a fraudulent purchase for one of my products. He tried to pay me 5 cents for a $17 product (I won't get into details of how he did this). He was not successful, but I have a record of the PayPal transaction and fraud alert from Rapid Action Profits...

    Next, he tried a brute force attack on my server and try to find an open download page and/or other vulnerabilities...also unsuccessful. I have records of this attack along with an IP address matching the PayPal transaction. :-)

    Curious to hear your opinion...should I report this guy to PayPal for fraud?

    Wil
    I don't like such people either....but..you say "TRIED" and "was not successful"...from that point of view i don't understand why you want to pursue that...wasted time. You should actually "thank" him because he showed that your server is secure and you dont have open security holes (like some other vendors and sites have)

    You are aware that there are hundreds/maybe thousands of "attempted hacks" going on all the time...eg. bots and hacker scripts scanning open ports of sites .Thats one reason some should never use default SSH ports, default passwords etc..etc... that's why you have firewalls and other security measures in place.
    Signature
    *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
    -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
    *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
    Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490696].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author craigc1980
      I agree

      Report him

      Just because that person wasnt successful doesnt mean that person wont try again.

      Its like a car thief.

      If the car thief couldnt get in the car one day do you think he wont try again when your vulnerable.

      I used to work for an internet security company and ill tell you this.

      They will keep coming back and back and back.

      If their confident they can get in and steal from you they will come back and if they cant do it themselves they will bring friends.'

      I see it time and time again.

      Craig
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490726].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jack Duncan
        Wilson,

        This happens all the time...

        PayPal usually just turns a blind eye and says, "It's your word vs. his word"

        You could always just email him and ask what he was trying to do...it would probably be more of a "scare" than leaving it up to PayPal to attempt to actually contact them..

        Cheers,
        Jack Duncan
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ebizman87
    Originally Posted by Wilson Mattos View Post

    Fellow warriors,

    A couple of weeks ago someone tried to make a fraudulent purchase for one of my products. He tried to pay me 5 cents for a $17 product (I won't get into details of how he did this). He was not successful, but I have a record of the PayPal transaction and fraud alert from Rapid Action Profits...

    Next, he tried a brute force attack on my server and try to find an open download page and/or other vulnerabilities...also unsuccessful. I have records of this attack along with an IP address matching the PayPal transaction. :-)

    Curious to hear your opinion...should I report this guy to PayPal for fraud?

    Wil
    Don't report him to anywhere.You're wasting your energy and time.

    Here's an idea. Give what does the guy want.If he wants an access to your download page,just let him in.However you should hide your main download page and create an easy to access page just for him..

    BUT make sure that the PRODUCTS that you're offering there are corrupted and with fluffs.It'll be good if you cAN hire some experts to create a real NASTY virus and attach it with your products. Let him download the product and suffer.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490723].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sparhawke
      Originally Posted by ebizman87 View Post

      Don't report him to anywhere.You're wasting your energy and time.

      Here's an idea. Give what does the guy want.If he wants an access to your download page,just let him in.However you should hide your main download page and create an easy to access page just for him..

      BUT make sure that the PRODUCTS that you're offering there are corrupted and with fluffs.It'll be good if you cAN hire some experts to create a real NASTY virus and attach it with your products. Let him download the product and suffer.
      Thats even more illegal than what the thief is doing, and criminals always seem to be able to afford the best lawyers lol

      Simply have it so that nothing is stored on a webpage at all, that way even if they get through they get nothing.
      Signature
      “Thinking is easy, Acting is difficult
      And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491005].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igorb
    Originally Posted by Wilson Mattos View Post

    ... He tried to pay me 5 cents for a $17 product (I won't get into details of how he did this). He was not successful, but I have a record of the PayPal transaction and fraud alert from Rapid Action Profits...
    Not sure what he exactly did, since PayPal should handle payment.

    Anyway, according to what you wrote about the case, I doubt PayPal would take any action.

    It looks more useful to send attack details to ISP, so they could take further care.

    However, I do not expect to see any results which could directly benefit you.
    Especially if attacker is skilled one and not amateur.

    I would rather keep eyes open and try to cover any security holes instead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1490742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Paypal won't do anything about it and since he was unsuccessful, I personally like the idea of embedding it with a virus and emailing it saying that you are aware that he attempted to get your product both free and for 5cents and as a Christmas present, you'd like to give it to him ... but that's just my evil side talking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
    Id deliberately set up a fake download page with the download as a virus and allow him in, if he is an amateur that'l mess him up. Or you could create a fake document for him to download that abuses him/her and makes fun of them.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sparhawke
    Willfully spreading viruses over the internets is frowned upon though by most countries, especially America and it matters not if it is designed to go no further than the theives computer, you have deliberately infected them...telling someone to do this or even suggesting it jokingly is never good.

    A judge wouldn't even consider what the thief was doing in order to be infected, all that will matter is that you put a bad file there much like the farmer who booby trapped a shed that was broken into countless times......

    I think it is called "willful intent to endanger life" in that context and there would probably be another term for property.
    Signature
    “Thinking is easy, Acting is difficult
    And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491123].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author reapr
      Set up a fake download page with a pdf. Once he downloads it have it show his IP and leave a paragraph that any future attempts will be prosecuted to the fullest allowable by law.

      Sometimes making a person aware will shake em' up and make them go away.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491596].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ebizman87
        Originally Posted by reapr View Post

        Set up a fake download page with a pdf. Once he downloads it have it show his IP and leave a paragraph that any future attempts will be prosecuted to the fullest allowable by law.

        Sometimes making a person aware will shake em' up and make them go away.
        This won't work as he can simply SWAP his IP address.They're sites available that allow you to swap your IP address.I've heard about it somewhere..
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
      Originally Posted by Sparhawke View Post

      Willfully spreading viruses over the internets is frowned upon though by most countries, especially America and it matters not if it is designed to go no further than the theives computer, you have deliberately infected them...telling someone to do this or even suggesting it jokingly is never good.

      A judge wouldn't even consider what the thief was doing in order to be infected, all that will matter is that you put a bad file there much like the farmer who booby trapped a shed that was broken into countless times......

      I think it is called "willful intent to endanger life" in that context and there would probably be another term for property.

      Sweetheart,

      encase you have been living under a rock, in most civilized countries, illegally hacking and trying to commit theft and fraud is a federal offense which carries significant fines and jail time even permanent banning from using computers in some cases.

      What is he going to do?

      Go to the police and cry and moan to them how he broke not just national but international law as well, and then wound up falling into a trap and getting caught out?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491629].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author InternetM39482
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        Paypal won't do anything about it and since he was unsuccessful, I personally like the idea of embedding it with a virus and emailing it saying that you are aware that he attempted to get your product both free and for 5cents and as a Christmas present, you'd like to give it to him ... but that's just my evil side talking
        LOL! Nice idea!!

        I also think reporting won't do any good since Paypal isn't particularly helpful in these cases. It might just be a waste of time and energy.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491648].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
        Originally Posted by skyfox7 View Post

        Sweetheart,

        encase you have been living under a rock, in most civilized countries, illegally hacking and trying to commit theft and fraud is a federal offense which carries significant fines and jail time even permanent banning from using computers in some cases.

        What is he going to do?

        Go to the police and cry and moan to them how he broke not just national but international law as well, and then wound up falling into a trap and getting caught out?
        Vigilante justice is also illegal. You can't just give someone a virus because they broke the law, because you then are also breaking it. The judge won't forgive you for breaking the law simply because you were trying to punish someone who also broke it.

        The person deserves a fair trial before they receive punishment, regardless of how much evidence there may be that they are guilty. What if the person using the PayPal account to try to buy the product had hacked it? If the OP sent a virus to the PayPal address and the original owner of the PayPal account got it, it could damage their computer, their business, destroy irreplaceable files like family photos, etc. In this case, the party could be an innocent victim. However unlikely this scenario is, it IS possible, and this is why people deserve a fair trial, and why vigilante justice is wrong.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491654].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author KrisMainieri
          Don't major in minor things. Time = Money stop focusing all your time and efforts on a $17 sale.

          Keep moving forward.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491665].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Chris Worner
          Originally Posted by Taylor French View Post

          Vigilante justice is also illegal. You can't just give someone a virus because they broke the law, because you then are also breaking it. The judge won't forgive you for breaking the law simply because you were trying to punish someone who also broke it.

          The person deserves a fair trial before they receive punishment, regardless of how much evidence there may be that they are guilty. What if the person using the PayPal account to try to buy the product had hacked it? If the OP sent a virus to the PayPal address and the original owner of the PayPal account got it, it could damage their computer, their business, destroy irreplaceable files like family photos, etc. In this case, the party could be an innocent victim. However unlikely this scenario is, it IS possible, and this is why people deserve a fair trial, and why vigilante justice is wrong.
          First off, he would never have received the virus in the first place if he didn't try to hack in the first place. I am not suggesting that you contact this individual and lure him there under false pretense because then yes you would be liable for any serious damage caused.

          What I am saying to you, in order to deter him and other hackers from continuing their activities you deliberately create a vulnerable dummy page for these guys to hack into which contains the virus and fake documents so then they get infected and their hard drive scrambled. And learn their lesson.

          Some people would call this karma.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491739].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
            Originally Posted by skyfox7 View Post

            First off, he would never have received the virus in the first place if he didn't try to hack in the first place. I am not suggesting that you contact this individual and lure him there under false pretense because then yes you would be liable for any serious damage caused.

            What I am saying to you, in order to deter him and other hackers from continuing their activities you deliberately create a vulnerable dummy page for these guys to hack into which contains the virus and fake documents so then they get infected and their hard drive scrambled. And learn their lesson.

            Some people would call this karma.
            And what if they are not on their own computer?

            What if they are using a computer at an internet cafe? Or worse, a library?

            What if they were using their mother's computer, and their mother had no idea it was happening? What if thousands of her family's photos that weren't backed up were wiped out because her son was attempting to steal a product on the internet?

            What if a wife did it on her husband's work computer and wiped out hundreds of hours of work files that hadn't been backed up?

            The point is, vigilante justice in the form of viruses is wrong because you cannot prove unequivocally that the person you are harming is indeed the right party. It might not even be their computer!

            I don't know about you, but I have seen a friend of mine have every single photo of both of her kids' births wiped out forever because of a virus that her brother got while using her computer to torrent illegal software. She was absolutely crushed, and she cried for DAYS. She was so distraught that she called out of work sick for almost a week.

            I told her she should have backed them up, but at that point, it was too late to matter. She even sent her hard drive in to a data recovery company to try to get the photos back, but there was nothing they could do.

            I don't know about you, but I could never risk doing that to an innocent party in the name of "justice". It's WRONG.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    I would not only promote this guy to paypal, but also to the police and anybody else you can. I would report him to his service provider as well if you can find out who it is. I would report him to each and every place i could and would even find out as much information about him as I could and post it to all the forums to warn everybody else.

    Benjamin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491640].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    PayPal won't help you. They have absolutely terrible customer relations. Especially when it comes to digital downloads. He didn't get in, so let it go.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author css
    If he is any good then none of the information you have is real. Or he could just be an idiot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jendoe
    Hi Wilson - sorry if I missed it, but are you in the US?

    If so, you might want to try these resources:

    cybercrime.gov (Edit: This is the page with reporting info, not the same as the next link.)
    cybercrime.gov
    Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

    Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd try reporting it - dealing with the FBI scares me just a tiny bit but it might be worth reading to find out if what this guy was doing fits under anything they investigate.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author policy
    What if that persons computer is the only one in the house for a family of five? You are going to infect it or screw with it?

    Wil, I wouldn't waste all of your effort reporting him, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if you sent an e-mail to the abuse e-mail associated with his ISP. I suggest you block his IP from your websites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491760].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
      Originally Posted by policy View Post

      What if that persons computer is the only one in the house for a family of five? You are going to infect it or screw with it?

      Wil, I wouldn't waste all of your effort reporting him, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if you sent an e-mail to the abuse e-mail associated with his ISP. I suggest you block his IP from your websites.
      Bingo. Almost everyone I know shares their computer with at least one other person, even if only occasionally. People often share their computers with spouses, siblings, friends, children, relatives, etc.

      I wouldn't risk harming an innocent victim's computer. Even if there's only a 1:10,000 chance that the person hacking the site was on someone else's computer, I would never take that risk.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491795].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
        Banned
        What if that persons computer is the only one in the house for a family of five? You are going to infect it or screw with it?
        Umm, no....the person stealing the file would be the one responsible for infecting the family computer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493759].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Harvey Segal
          Allow this person to stumble upon a fake thank you page
          where you are providing your
          ' complete range of products valued at $2,999 '

          Tell him that to gain access he must enter character by
          character (because copy and paste won't work) this
          password

          X"$K%*&@M<?|\/>+<}{[Q]

          Whatever he types in generate a message
          "Invalid password - please wait 30 seconds before retrying"'

          Harvey



          .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493805].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author YanKirby
          Originally Posted by Black Hat Cat View Post

          Umm, no....the person stealing the file would be the one responsible for infecting the family computer.
          Right on the money.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ebizman87
    Or you can use another tactic that most IMers are using.Here's how..

    Set a salespage in domain X but the download page should be at another domain.

    If you have a salespage at www.xyz.com, then your download page should be at www.abc.com. Automatically email your customers the download link after they've paid for your product.Make sure that the download link is kept secret.

    Most hackers will try to download your stuff from your main domain.If you've no download page here,then they can't get an access.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491780].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jacer
    All for a $17 ebook? I guess I do not understand the point. Seems like a waste of his time. Are you sure there is not more to it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491801].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
      Originally Posted by Jacer View Post

      All for a $17 ebook? I guess I do not understand the point. Seems like a waste of his time. Are you sure there is not more to it?
      If you're asking why someone would go through the trouble of trying to buy a $17 product for 5 cents, there could be several reasons.

      1. Some people just steal for the thrill of it.
      2. Some people don't have $17, but they want the product anyway and will do whatever it takes to get it.
      3. Some people try to get products cheap or free deliberately to share them on illegal file sharing websites to make themselves look "cool" in front of their thieving buddies, or to get access to more "prestigious" sections of the site where higher-caliber downloads are shared.
      4. Some people might be worried about the quality of the product, and aren't willing to risk $17 to find out, and they only care about themselves, so they try to steal it.

      If you're asking why he should bother reporting this over a $17 product, it's because of reason number 3. People who share files on file sharing sites could potentially spread the product to hundreds of people. So while losing $17 might not be much, if it was downloaded by 100 people, that would be $1700.

      And yes, I'm aware that most file-sharing users aren't all that likely to buy the product, anyway. I'm just assigning a monetary value for the sake of argument, kind of in the same way they fine people based on the number of times an event happens, because there's no other way to quantify.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
    Yeah, I agree with Policy,
    fire off an email to abuse@his isp and they will shut him down . i can't believe it warriors advocating illegal actions to fight illegal actions? Will don't even consider those tactics just write him off and ban his ip from your site contact the abuse dept if you have his ip it is very easy to find out which it is if you don't know how pm and i will do it for you.
    either way you lost nothing but gained an awful lot of knowledge .good job your site survived . a friend of mine was hacked a few days ago by some turkish hackers he had 5 of 455 sites go down all spilled with hate garbage about the US he had to work a long time to get it corrected but he knows how to trace and found they were in turkey-the turkey's! lol
    Have a great day
    -WD
    Signature

    "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
    Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1491808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Gosse
    From a legal standpoint this person could be guilty of "trespass to chattel's".

    Essentially, the act of using your CPU cycles or that of your processor to attempt a thwart of your security is a crime because it diminishes your customer experience.

    It wouldn't hurt to have a nasty lawyers letter written up and sent to this person's ISP. they will likely receive a copy with their next bill.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1492010].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Wilson Mattos
      Thanks for the feedback everyone! I started this thread mostly to see how people feel about this kind of stuff...sort of a social experiment.

      NO, I am NOT going to do anything to harm his computer (like spreading viruses or hacking his box). That would be ILLEGAL as many people have posted.

      I do have a "bit" of a security background, so I do know how to deal with this from several fronts, and I know how to protect my products and regularly audit my server, which is why he did not get the download and it is how I have all the log info.

      The main thing here is that if this dude was willing to steal this product, he is probably trying to steal other products as well, so he does need to be stopped. My energy would not be "wasted" on behalf of my $17 product, but rather it would be useful in trying to stop a scum bag from trying this again...especially against people who may not know how to protect their stuff.

      The FUNNIEST part of the whole thing is that the same product is available in the War Room for $1, so he potentially screwed himself for $0.95!!!

      Wil

      P.S.: Just for some fun, I did PM him here on the WF last night and asked him to give me a good reason not to report him. Let's see what he says before I call PayPal on Monday and contact his ISP.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1492138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KrisMainieri
    Oh If only the time and effort spent talking about this minor subject was spent on making money instead.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1492204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kennethg
    Paypal cant do anything even if they wanted to. From what I have read, you said that you have his IP address. Most likely that his IP address is a shared IP address, i.e. when he logs in to the Internet again, his ISP assigns him a random IP address.

    Paypal can do something if they know the IP address and the exact time and date of the incident. Then they will have to track the local ISP, obtain a court order for the ISP to divulge the user information. Supposing your intruder was from Malaysia, good luck in getting any of the local ISP's in helping Paypal out - they simple wont.

    As for Paypal's customer service, good luck in getting timely response from them. I learned this the hard way just 3 weeks ago when I couldn't renew all my GoDaddy domains via Paypal when they blocked access to my account because I accessed the account from Nigeria. I understand their paranoia with Nigeria, everyone but after I provided proof that I am who I am, they restored my account but then froze it back again. I opened 2 resolution cases with them, each time asking someone to reply to my emails instead of having a machine auto-reply to all my request but nothing happened. I had to return to Malaysia to get my Paypal account reinstated. So I can vouch for the gentleman who said that Paypal Customer Service is next to nothing.
    Signature

    Kindest regards,
    Kenneth Gomez
    http://www.kgomez.com/malaysia
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seasoned
      Originally Posted by kennethg View Post

      Paypal cant do anything even if they wanted to. From what I have read, you said that you have his IP address. Most likely that his IP address is a shared IP address, i.e. when he logs in to the Internet again, his ISP assigns him a random IP address.

      Paypal can do something if they know the IP address and the exact time and date of the incident. Then they will have to track the local ISP, obtain a court order for the ISP to divulge the user information. Supposing your intruder was from Malaysia, good luck in getting any of the local ISP's in helping Paypal out - they simple wont.

      As for Paypal's customer service, good luck in getting timely response from them. I learned this the hard way just 3 weeks ago when I couldn't renew all my GoDaddy domains via Paypal when they blocked access to my account because I accessed the account from Nigeria. I understand their paranoia with Nigeria, everyone but after I provided proof that I am who I am, they restored my account but then froze it back again. I opened 2 resolution cases with them, each time asking someone to reply to my emails instead of having a machine auto-reply to all my request but nothing happened. I had to return to Malaysia to get my Paypal account reinstated. So I can vouch for the gentleman who said that Paypal Customer Service is next to nothing.
      kennethg is certainly right! The IP alone means NOTHING! HOW could *******ANYONE******* truly believe that LESS than 3Billion numbers can uniquely refer to probably FAR more sites. Look at microsoft! They aren't even a real person, and THEY probably have hundreds of IP addresses! And what of the what, 7Billion REAL persons!?!?!?

      The ONLY hope you would have is to report this through YOUR ISP, and to the police. The police could then, CONCEIVABLY get a subpoena for the logs, and have to trace them back. EACH time they would have to get a NEW subpoena! If they find an ISP didn't properly log it, deleted the logs, was out of their jurisdiction, or was a firewall, etc.... things may STOP! If it terminated in a corporation or ISP, they could then get the relevant records. BTW I talked to an ISP once about it, and they LAUGHED at the prospect that they would be compelled to give out that info. The LAPD is so HORRIBLE that it is surprising they get ANYTHING done. GOOD LUCK!

      Steve
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KrisMainieri
    This thread is a perfect example of how people MAJOR in minor things.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seobro
    I would report it to paypal, but I have had many bad experiences with paypal and ebay. They do not care about us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Hi guys

    i would really like to report this dude but at the end of the day do paypal actually give a damn about it?

    The answer is probably no so just report them to there IP company and do it that way instead. There is always someone trying to hack into our products and even though we cant stop them all we can try our best.

    kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheDebtEliminator
    Hello Wilson,

    Something similar happened to me once.

    This is possible to happen to anyone of us

    Because he used PayPal he should be reported there.


    You may not be the one, who gets revenge, but his record will be tarnished and repeat offenders at paypal will be banned.

    Best Regards
    Signature
    Freedom from Credit Debt for All in USA … Credit cards, medical bills, student loans, etc. .................... Plus your credit scores at the bureau can be raised when your debt relief is completed.

    This is available for individuals with more than 10-K of debt and only by phone to start your debt analysis ... PM Me Your Phone Number and best times to call.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495247].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BigGameHunter
    Rather than assume you know what your sherriff and prosecutor will do go ask. This is a criminal act not civil. If a person broke in or attempted to break into a bricks and mortar store it would have to be handled criminally.

    I know our sherriff and our prosectuor. I was supprised to find in most instances law enforcement is up todate on how to handle these things. I live in a rural area and our law enforcement gets bulletins daily from the Fed's on internet issues.

    I would also report it to Pay Pal. The reason is under federal law (U.S.) if you know that a felony has been commited you have a duty to report it (18 U.S.C sec 4). If you don't you can be charged with misprision of a felony.

    Let the gov't with their unlimited budgets take these guys on. Make the report, find out what your local law enforcement does in these instances. Give them as much evidence as possible to support your complaint. Put your complaint in writing. If the local's want to sweep it under the rug, make the complain to the feds.

    It doesn't take any longer to write the details to law enforcement than it does to make a post here.

    Hope this helps.

    Jim
    Signature

    Always looking for the best service providers on Warrior Forum.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joel_Cowen
    I would report him as soon as you can. People like that make life difficult. Joel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author snyder7
    Hi,

    i would definitely report him. It sucks when some low life tries to rip you off from your hard work. Not long ago I discovered someone using several pen names using my articles word for word, promoting affiliate products.

    Needless to say, I contacted all article directories on which I found my stuff, plus I contacted the affiliate manager of the product he was promoting. On all places I showed proof that I was the original author.

    It took time that I could've used to do more stuff, but it is a matter of principle. Why let someone like that profit from your hard work?

    I'd say, report him or her fast!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495790].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sylviad
      I can't believe any Warrior would suggest launching a virus to "teach this guy a lesson". As we all know, viruses don't stay on one computer. They migrate and infect many computers as they get passed around. And you can be sure this guy would not likely hesitate to pass it on.

      Seems to me that if you do have some evidence that he tried to hack into your system then you have all you need to lodge a complaint. If the cops saw a guy trying to break into the bank but failing do you think that they'd just pat him on the head and send him on his way? I think not.

      Visit those 3 links that jendoe provided.

      It's this attitude that "you're wasting your time" that allows such thieves to get away with it until they actually get what they want.

      He won't give up. He'll keep trying until he succeeds.

      Sylvia
      Signature
      :: Got a dog? Visit my blog. Dog Talk Weekly
      :: Writing, Audio Transcription Services? - Award-winning Journalist is taking new projects. Warrior Discounts!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495844].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Angel2988
      I agree. Paypal wont do a damn thing. I have had to deal with them on several issues in the past and they are very uncooperative.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1496083].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thefallsman
    Yeah definitely report that for suree. If he/she succeeds, that would not be fun. If it's happened to you he/she might try to do it to someone else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Campbell
    Set-up a download page, with a link that he must click on that is cloaked to a page that will "not able to close" Rick Roll.

    If you don't know what a Rick Roll is, just google it. It is harmless, but it lets him know that you know what he is up to.

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495995].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sylviad
      Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post

      Set-up a download page, with a link that he must click on that is cloaked to a page that will "not able to close" Rick Roll.

      If you don't know what a Rick Roll is, just google it. It is harmless, but it lets him know that you know what he is up to.

      James
      Good one, James. It's kind of like those crime stopper systems that lock car thieves into the vehicle so they can't get away until the cops arrive. And it's all caught on tape! LOL!

      Sylvia
      Signature
      :: Got a dog? Visit my blog. Dog Talk Weekly
      :: Writing, Audio Transcription Services? - Award-winning Journalist is taking new projects. Warrior Discounts!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1496039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marketing_Jedi
    Hey,
    Report whoever this fellow is as soon as possible. You'll be doing a rest of us a favour.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1496067].message }}

Trending Topics