I am into Physics and mathematics and I teach a lot of top grade students Physics and Maths here in India. In fact I started teaching my seniors of eleventh and twelfth standards when I was in tenth standard myself. After getting into the most prestigious Engineering institute of the country with a double digit rank amongst over 480,000 candidates (That is four hundred and eighty thousand candidates), I was selected by a top coaching institute to coach an exclusive batch of students. I was sixteen years old, and I was being asked to formally teach a group of sixteen-seventeen year olds.
They offered good money... $200 per three hour class, I had time and I desperately NEEDED money at that point of time, so I said Yes. I started taing a LOT of classes. 7 per week. Three on the two weekdays and one on thursday when I had a half day at institute. In a matter of 4 months or so, I became the fav teacher of all students who called me "Bhaiya" or "Elder brother" which is a symbol of honour and respect.
Now I have a very strong foothold in that industry, am a widely known professional and highly sought after trainer, but now I take only the students that are willing to put in as much time as is required to become a success story. People are willing to pay as much as $1000 a class (three-four hours) to a batch of 40 students.
I wanted to focus my energy only on the students that really worked VERY hard so I only teach one batch right now, but also wanted to provide help to the students that are not selected in that batch. The only constraint being my time... I could not even take another batch... let alone the thought of helping thousands of students.
So I decided ===> AND THIS IS BIG.
I decided to create a membership site at $2 a month where we would put all the recordings of all my classes (Not more than 1 three hour long class a week) Plus some additional motivational videos (Which I create with my friends a lot of times for fun and recreation.)
We did just that and got some flyers printed. By some I mean nearly 200,000 which cost me nearly $2500 (Thats the std. rate over here). And then had some people to distribut them to students outside their school premises.
when the No. of unique visitors to that site tolled 10,000 on day 2 of launch, the no., of members was exactly 8342 which means 83.42 conversions. Do the math!
1. Establish yourself as an expert in any niche as much as possible
2. Run memberships for more residual income
3. Offline advertising is really cheap
4. Find niches that are HUGE offline but non existent online and that you are passionate in.
5. Define your target audience and target them directly.
there are a few reasons as to why I kept this at just $2 a month...
1. Many deserving students in India are poor. Essentially all they are paying is their bandwidth usage expenses.
2. I will not have to do any extra work for the new members
3. I am getting a LOT of publicity and my personal voaching rates are going to go through the stratosphere. (Waiting for the news media to contact me... yehehe)
4. $2 = Rs 90 which is nearly equivalent to $9 in the US as far as Purchasing Power Parity is concerned.
5. I can increase it later if I start losing money on it to 3,4,5 dollars or more
6. Most people do not have Internet connections at homes so they will go top cafes and they will need to spend money over there as well or get a new Internet cnnection for atleast 5 dollars a month.
7. Peace of mind is miraculous. I am having more success I my other businesses.
And now the big one...
The site is not yet even indexed in the search engines.
Hows that for internet Marketing?
Moral of the story is.... being a good student pays a lot when you take up a six figure job later on... but being a great teacher makes you forget your payment worries as everything goes fine. I am NOT doing this for money, but I could have done that as well.
I know it will be pirated the next day it comes out so people can simply buy th pirated CD's from the black markets and there is no way to fight piracy until I make it ridiculuosly cheap. I can not make money on it anyways in any media based industry here in india thanks to Piracy but that is not true for almost any niche in your countries. So go ahead and Just do it. but for His sake do something. take action and rewards will follow.
UPDATE... Day THREE...
Not a lot of activity today... I guess the flyers just6 have some immediate impact and then wooish...
Visitors (unique)... 2488
New Members... 1602
Over All Conversions right now... 75.71% right now
No Search engine rankings. And I guess I am not going to get any serach engine rankings anytime soon. Simply because all we have is a simple video presentation as I have said.
But then my target audience is not tech-savvy.