How would you monetize a niche like welding or classic car restoration?

by Mattk
43 replies
All I have ever heard since getting into IM is get yourself a list. Well my big issue is what the heck do I send the people on that list?

I have a website in the car restoration niche and I sell my own product. But after I sell that 1 time product, what else is there to sell them. There are no affiliate programs that are any good for this niche. The same goes for the welding niche.

Sure you can buy a welder and some supplies on Amazon, but that does not make it a good affiliate program. The prices for these types of products are not that competitive vs buying from a welding supply store or even craigslist.

Let's not forget the people in this niche are good blue collar people that don't necessarily sit at the computer all night after work. They also have a tendency to stick with what they know. This is not a knock on anyone since I would consider myself the same way. I probably wouldn't buy a welder or supplies from Amazon or Ebay either.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions since I haven't been around IM long enough to figure out all the different angles.

Thanks in advance, Matt
#car #classic #monetize #niche #restoration #welding
  • Profile picture of the author Blase
    I just typed "affiliate car restoration"
    into Google and got 179, 000 results.

    "affiliate program car restoration"
    returned 47,000.

    This is just me because I am not
    into cars, but I have always thought
    that this was a huge niche.

    A friend of mine just travels the country
    appraising restored cars and makes a very
    nice living.
    Signature
    "Nothing Happens Until Something Is Sold"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526135].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
      You could sell information products about income opportunities
      for people with welding and car restoration skills, stuff on
      upholstery, custom paint jobs, and so forth.

      I weld from time to time and like doing it. As I make the time
      I'd like to learn more about decorative metal-work I can do
      without doing work (like plating) that involves highly toxic
      materials and disposal problems.

      People who like to work with their hands often are interested
      in other media and in artistic expression, so I while I can't
      say "promote this product your customers will love it" I can
      say you're probably not seeing who they are accurately if
      you just think they want to weld and that's it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526171].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mattk
        Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post

        You could sell information products about income opportunities
        for people with welding and car restoration skills, stuff on
        upholstery, custom paint jobs, and so forth.

        I weld from time to time and like doing it. As I make the time
        I'd like to learn more about decorative metal-work I can do
        without doing work (like plating) that involves highly toxic
        materials and disposal problems.

        People who like to work with their hands often are interested
        in other media and in artistic expression, so I while I can't
        say "promote this product your customers will love it" I can
        say you're probably not seeing who they are accurately if
        you just think they want to weld and that's it.
        You have just opened my eyes to other possibilities. This is why I love the WF. Thanks.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526206].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by Blase View Post

      I just typed "affiliate car restoration"
      into Google and got 179, 000 results.

      "affiliate program car restoration"
      returned 47,000.

      This is just me because I am not
      into cars, but I have always thought
      that this was a huge niche.

      A friend of mine just travels the country
      appraising restored cars and makes a very
      nice living.
      I have researched quite a bit, but I'm coming from the angle of not making someone unsubscribe from my list.

      Maybe it's just me, but I have this feeling that if I start shooting offers of random car parts or different ways for them to buy their parts and accessories online, they will hit the unsubscribe button. I know I probably would.

      I was just trying to think of a different angle that would ad more value to the offer. After all, if the guy wants to buy parts he will just look for them himself. Right?

      Maybe I'm the one that should look at from a different perspective, and just do it.:confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526199].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Blase
        Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

        I have researched quite a bit, but I'm coming from the angle of not making someone unsubscribe from my list.

        Maybe it's just me, but I have this feeling that if I start shooting offers of random car parts or different ways for them to buy their parts and accessories online, they will hit the unsubscribe button. I know I probably would.

        I was just trying to think of a different angle that would ad more value to the offer. After all, if the guy wants to buy parts he will just look for them himself. Right?

        Maybe I'm the one that should look at from a different perspective, and just do it.:confused:
        What would happen if you actually purchased or asked
        for reviews copies or products and then gave
        your list a bunch of information about it based
        on your assessment.

        Maybe you could add bonuses how to's or
        more in depth info to go with the product you
        are recommending.

        What do you use now?
        Tools, products, instructions, to recommend
        to get a commission for selling?
        Signature
        "Nothing Happens Until Something Is Sold"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526459].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kevinw1
    If they aren't buying anything from you now anyway, does it matter if they unsubscribe?

    Why not find the best car restoration affiliate program you can, one you think is really useful and worthwhile, and make one mailing about it, (tastefully, but NOT apologetically) and see what happens.

    I was just trying to think of a different angle that would ad more value to the offer. After all, if the guy wants to buy parts he will just look for them himself. Right?
    People who don't "live" online like IM'ers are often not aware of what's available to them, and can be quite pleased to be pointed to something really valuable that they would not otherwise know about. Maybe the guy who wants to buy parts will be happy not to have to do all the research to find a decent place to buy from.

    You can't know whether your assumptions are true until you test them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526220].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by kevinw1 View Post

      If they aren't buying anything from you now anyway, does it matter if they unsubscribe?
      They are buying from me, it just happens to be my own product. I am talking about a list for backend sales. My product is really a 1 time sale type of product.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CBSnooper
    I help run a popular one make classic car forum here in the UK. The ways we have monetized it are:

    Sponsorship ads: We have around a dozen or so sponsors who have banners around the site. Each banner costs $500 per year. Very cheap considering there are thousands of regular users of the site.

    Shop: We sell merchanise in the shop. Mainly TShirts, hoodies etc, but also stickers for the car windows. We did venture into rollcages, strut braces etc, but are in the process of knocking it on the head due to supply problems.

    Membership: Members can join the site and become a member, and get discount off shop items, tickets to shows. They also have their own private room. This only costs around $25 a year. (yes, year!)

    Ebay: We have integrated a modified version of BANS into the site, which only shows auctions relating to the niche. This provides a couple of hundred dollars a month in commissions.

    One of the sponsors is an insurance company, and they also pay us a commission for anyone buying via the site.

    We are currently revamping the site, and will look down other avenues in the future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526251].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by CBSnooper View Post

      I help run a popular one make classic car forum here in the UK. The ways we have monetized it are:

      Sponsorship ads: We have around a dozen or so sponsors who have banners around the site. Each banner costs $500 per year. Very cheap considering there are thousands of regular users of the site.

      Shop: We sell merchanise in the shop. Mainly TShirts, hoodies etc, but also stickers for the car windows. We did venture into rollcages, strut braces etc, but are in the process of knocking it on the head due to supply problems.

      Membership: Members can join the site and become a member, and get discount off shop items, tickets to shows. They also have their own private room. This only costs around $25 a year. (yes, year!)

      Ebay: We have integrated a modified version of BANS into the site, which only shows auctions relating to the niche. This provides a couple of hundred dollars a month in commissions.

      One of the sponsors is an insurance company, and they also pay us a commission for anyone buying via the site.

      We are currently revamping the site, and will look down other avenues in the future.
      Mike, Thanks for the advise. I would love to look around your website. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to show the URL.

      Thanks, Matt
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author candoit2
    Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

    All I have ever heard since getting into IM is get yourself a list. Well my big issue is what the heck do I send the people on that list?

    I have a website in the car restoration niche and I sell my own product. But after I sell that 1 time product, what else is there to sell them. There are no affiliate programs that are any good for this niche. The same goes for the welding niche.

    Sure you can buy a welder and some supplies on Amazon, but that does not make it a good affiliate program. The prices for these types of products are not that competitive vs buying from a welding supply store or even craigslist.

    Let's not forget the people in this niche are good blue collar people that don't necessarily sit at the computer all night after work. They also have a tendency to stick with what they know. This is not a knock on anyone since I would consider myself the same way. I probably wouldn't buy a welder or supplies from Amazon or Ebay either.

    I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions since I haven't been around IM long enough to figure out all the different angles.

    Thanks in advance, Matt
    I used to be a welder. Went to IM because of the toll it was taking on my health. I ended up taking a detox that removes the heavy metals, and toxins welders breath in. (It has an aff program). Welders won't really be searching for solutions, but if you make them aware there is something that can help them you have a buying market for sure....

    Aaron
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526303].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by AaronJones View Post

      I used to be a welder. Went to IM because of the toll it was taking on my health. I ended up taking a detox that removes the heavy metals, and toxins welders breath in. (It has an aff program). Welders won't really be searching for solutions, but if you make them aware there is something that can help them you have a buying market for sure....

      Aaron
      Awesome. This is another great idea, thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526323].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author candoit2
        Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

        Awesome. This is another great idea, thanks.
        Glad I could help. Shoot me a PM if you would like some details on that aff program of the product for welders or questions on the welding niche in particular.

        Aaron
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sooner
    Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

    All I have ever heard since getting into IM is get yourself a list. Well my big issue is what the heck do I send the people on that list?

    I have a website in the car restoration niche and I sell my own product. But after I sell that 1 time product, what else is there to sell them. There are no affiliate programs that are any good for this niche. The same goes for the welding niche.

    Sure you can buy a welder and some supplies on Amazon, but that does not make it a good affiliate program. The prices for these types of products are not that competitive vs buying from a welding supply store or even craigslist.

    Let's not forget the people in this niche are good blue collar people that don't necessarily sit at the computer all night after work. They also have a tendency to stick with what they know. This is not a knock on anyone since I would consider myself the same way. I probably wouldn't buy a welder or supplies from Amazon or Ebay either.

    I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions since I haven't been around IM long enough to figure out all the different angles.

    Thanks in advance, Matt
    Consider using Answer Analyst (AA). Jonathan Leger is the creator.

    AA will search the web for questions that are being asked for the keyword that you give it. For example, if your keyword was welding, AA would find questions that people are asking about welding.

    Once you have these questions, you could build an AdSense site, or find affiliate products to sell, or capture the lead and sell it to someone in the biz.

    So, you could create multiple streams of income, based on specific keyword phrases already being discussed on the web.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    All you have to do is look in your yellow pages for a list of local welders. Then contact them and ask if you can interview them. Think of some questions...topics etc.

    Do it by phone or in person. Take a microphone and get it all down. Then create mp3 files or burn them to CD...you have an instant product. Then create an ebook out of it ...you have another product. If you video them you have the visual side. You could strip the audio out of the video and offer that as a seperate product to the video. That way you are offering more value.

    Most people will be flattered you offered to interview them.....if they are reluctant to do it offer them publicity in your ebook or even pay them a small fee.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526433].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      I'm not a car junky but off the top of my mind...

      50 ways to restore your classical car - newsletter

      The do's and don'ts of restoration - also newsletter

      the tools to use - newsletter

      If your main audience is america or a specific country - get on our list so you know where all the car shows are. (say that or something)

      Tips on how do everything in restoration, this can be broken down into LOADS of emails. how to put an engine together, how to paint, how to...

      if they are professional resotrators, bring them together, like a networking thing.

      Competetions, like vote for best car (not list, but still fun )

      history of the restorator hall of fame, each week a new piece of history goes out...

      videos - show them how to do things

      I think you can think of some now
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526474].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

        They are buying from me, it just happens to be my own product. I am talking about a list for backend sales. My product is really a 1 time sale type of product.
        Matt, I never really got into classic cars, but back in their heyday, I was into building custom vans. I'm guessing their are similarities...

        Make yourself a list of the tasks and projects involved with taking a car from pile of junk found in a barn to show specimen. You have a welding product, it sounds like. How about adding products on things like

        > rewiring the car
        > custom paint jobs
        > custom upholstery
        > how to source parts without getting ripped off
        > other metal fabrication jobs
        > installing aftermarket accessories
        > and on and on and on...

        You have the formula already. Find an expert on the product subject and interview them. Record the interview. You now have audio for a download or CD. Add a transcript. Now you have a PDF or physical manual. Depending on the topic, you could add photos or even video.

        Pretty soon, you no longer have a one-off product line. You have a real product line that you can recruit your own affiliates to sell...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526536].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mattk
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Matt, I never really got into classic cars, but back in their heyday, I was into building custom vans. I'm guessing their are similarities...

          Make yourself a list of the tasks and projects involved with taking a car from pile of junk found in a barn to show specimen. You have a welding product, it sounds like. How about adding products on things like

          > rewiring the car
          > custom paint jobs
          > custom upholstery
          > how to source parts without getting ripped off
          > other metal fabrication jobs
          > installing aftermarket accessories
          > and on and on and on...

          You have the formula already. Find an expert on the product subject and interview them. Record the interview. You now have audio for a download or CD. Add a transcript. Now you have a PDF or physical manual. Depending on the topic, you could add photos or even video.

          Pretty soon, you no longer have a one-off product line. You have a real product line that you can recruit your own affiliates to sell...
          Thanks John, I will take a good hard look at building an enterprise so to speak.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mattk
    I did find a company on CJ that sold paint and bodywork supplies. As soon as I went to their website I thought I just entered a casino or an arcade. Even if they had the best deals on supplies, no one would be able to figure out how to buy them.

    I have not exhausted my quest for a good way to monetize this niche, especially now after so many warriors have given me great suggestions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    Due to the weight of most welding supplies , it would be hard to compete with local sources from the point of shipping alone .

    Now how to videos for beginners to expert might be something you could direct , star in , and produce yourself . Might want to filter the direct shots , burned eyes are not good :-)

    The same thing would work with cars also .
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1526997].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

      Might want to filter the direct shots , burned eyes are not good :-)
      I bought a shade 8 welding lens. I plan to duct tape it to my video camera.

      FYI shade 9 and up is too dark, and shade 5 and below is too bright. I'll see how the 8 will do.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527022].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
        Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

        I bought a shade 8 welding lens. I plan to duct tape it to my video camera.

        FYI shade 9 and up is too dark, and shade 5 and below is too bright. I'll see how the 8 will do.
        I just got off the phone with a welder friend . He says to put out an info product of how to get into a union. Might work .
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527069].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mattk
          Originally Posted by Troy_Phillips View Post

          I just got off the phone with a welder friend . He says to put out an info product of how to get into a union. Might work .
          Good idea. I am an Ironworker for local 512 out of the TwinCities. Damn good idea, I wouldn't even have to think or research.

          I love the WF. I have been contemplating posting this thread for a while now, thinking that IMers might not be who I want to ask about such an industrial topic. Boy was I wrong.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527096].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Chris Steiner
            Like many who have commented, I'm not involved in your niche.

            That being said, I also do most of the maintenance and some of the repair work on my own car, and I consider myself to be fairly handy. Someday, I hope to build my own motorcycle.

            Why is that relevant? Because I don't have any welding skills, but I would need to develop them to build a motorcycle. I'm sure there are many people who want to restore classic cars who don't even know what skills are needed.

            You have those skills, and you can show newbies to your niche how to get the skills (if not outright teach them.) To go along with offering your current subscribers information about finding good deals online or some other similar idea, you might consider building another list of newbies and walking them into the skills your current list members already possess.

            You might also consider what other niches your skills would be an asset to, and market your training to these niches as well. Try to think laterally about where your offerings might be relevant.

            Chris
            Signature

            "Without a plan, there's no attack. Without attack, no victory."
            "A plan. Oh, boy, I've got a plan." -Ack Ack Raymond

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527187].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tresfavian
              Just a thought . . . for offering a freebie with your upsells. How about some bad ass pictures of classic cars or hot rods. Maybe in a calendar style or posters. Doesn't have to be with the sexy broad unless you want it to.
              Stuff to fill the garage walls.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527236].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
                Matt, I just thought of something else...

                If you're into tig welding for aluminum, chat with the guys at your local EAA chapter (Experimental Aircraft Association) - you know, the guys who build their own airplanes. Might be a market for welding how-tos, along with other metal working how-tos...
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pmg2712
    being creative is some times difficult but can be done with practice, just find some creative option as I already read here. and educate people about it also sell the e-books with that topic.
    It will give you an edge over the others that you also know the designing along with welding.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1527115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Mitchell
    Matt,

    I've been enjoying reading your thread. It's ironic you started it when you did because I've I was preparing to start a like minded thread when I came across yours.

    I'm a bit of an eccentric In that I've built a couple of custom vintage military trucks that I use for daily drivers. These trucks are hobbies but considering where I live in Northern Minnesota they are also a way of life. I put up a small shell of a website on one of these trucks under Civilianized M-35 Kaiser-Jeep 2-1/2 Ton Multi-Fuel 4x4 Monster Truck several years ago that does little more than show pictures. I'm not in the process of finishing and optimizing this site. (Please note that I have nothing to sell here so I'm not spamming the system --- I offer the URL as an example).

    Given that my market consists largely of diesel mechanics that know what they are talking about and can therefore spot a poser from a mile away I didn't feel comfortable entering into this market until I had thoroughly paid my dues and could not only talk the talk but also walk the walk. I've built the ultimate 4X4 truck.

    Anyway, throughout the building of this truck I've kept full documentation files with back-up digital pictures. A complete history on how to build and care for one of these vehicles will be included. It will include everything from mechanical rebuilding, welding, painting wiring, modifying, even licensing and insurance. There will also be some youtube eye candy video of the truck in action.

    I never thought about it before reading this thread but a welding tutorial/course would go well on this site and no doubt many others. Most of the people that undertake projects like mine are old hat diesel mechanics that know their way around the mechanical side but not everybody knows how to weld and many that do could use some lessons. Being able to weld sheet metal is also very important. I mention this because you might be able to sell rights to your tutorials OR use them to get traffic from other sites which would allow you to sell advertising. The old axiom "My kingdom for a crowd" rings true. If you can draw a crowd (traffic) you can sell advertising.

    I wouldn't discount affiliate sales. As you know, road salt destroys the older vehicles. Check into a product called Waxoyl (I am not financially connected to Waxoyl).

    Perhaps you might want to concentrate on one particular vehicle that is currently popular in the restoration theater. In doing so you could seek out niche parts dealers to sell advertising to. If you niche in on a specific vehicle (say a1950 Mercury or a Model A Ford) you could create specific info products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531016].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by Ernie Mitchell View Post

      Anyway, throughout the building of this truck I've kept full documentation files with back-up digital pictures. A complete history on how to build and care for one of these vehicles will be included. It will include everything from mechanical rebuilding, welding, painting wiring, modifying, even licensing and insurance. There will also be some youtube eye candy video of the truck in action.
      I wish I would've documented a lot of the projects I've done over the years. Now I guess I will just have to build some of the things again.

      Great post and some great tips about the welding tutorials. I have been getting things together already to start moving forward with all of this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531055].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mattk
      Originally Posted by Ernie Mitchell View Post

      Matt,

      I've been enjoying reading your thread. It's ironic you started it when you did because I've I was preparing to start a like minded thread when I came across yours.

      I'm a bit of an eccentric In that I've built a couple of custom vintage military trucks that I use for daily drivers. These trucks are hobbies but considering where I live in Northern Minnesota they are also a way of life. I put up a small shell of a website on one of these trucks under Civilianized M-35 Kaiser-Jeep 2-1/2 Ton Multi-Fuel 4x4 Monster Truck several years ago that does little more than show pictures. I'm not in the process of finishing and optimizing this site. (Please note that I have nothing to sell here so I'm not spamming the system --- I offer the URL as an example).

      Given that my market consists largely of diesel mechanics that know what they are talking about and can therefore spot a poser from a mile away I didn't feel comfortable entering into this market until I had thoroughly paid my dues and could not only talk the talk but also walk the walk. I've built the ultimate 4X4 truck.

      Anyway, throughout the building of this truck I've kept full documentation files with back-up digital pictures. A complete history on how to build and care for one of these vehicles will be included. It will include everything from mechanical rebuilding, welding, painting wiring, modifying, even licensing and insurance. There will also be some youtube eye candy video of the truck in action.

      I never thought about it before reading this thread but a welding tutorial/course would go well on this site and no doubt many others. Most of the people that undertake projects like mine are old hat diesel mechanics that know their way around the mechanical side but not everybody knows how to weld and many that do could use some lessons. Being able to weld sheet metal is also very important. I mention this because you might be able to sell rights to your tutorials OR use them to get traffic from other sites which would allow you to sell advertising. The old axiom "My kingdom for a crowd" rings true. If you can draw a crowd (traffic) you can sell advertising.

      I wouldn't discount affiliate sales. As you know, road salt destroys the older vehicles. Check into a product called Waxoyl (I am not financially connected to Waxoyl).

      Perhaps you might want to concentrate on one particular vehicle that is currently popular in the restoration theater. In doing so you could seek out niche parts dealers to sell advertising to. If you niche in on a specific vehicle (say a1950 Mercury or a Model A Ford) you could create specific info products.
      I finally had a chance to look at your website and the pictures closer. They are awesome. I bet they come in real handy over Christmas getting through all the snow we are supposed to get.

      You have quite a good hobby, I love trucks and I love diesels.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531537].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ernie Mitchell
        Originally Posted by Mattk View Post

        I finally had a chance to look at your website and the pictures closer. They are awesome. I bet they come in real handy over Christmas getting through all the snow we are supposed to get.

        You have quite a good hobby, I love trucks and I love diesels.
        Thank You.

        I haul Santa and Mrs Clause in the back of the red truck in the annual Christmas parade every year. I'm known in the truck forum circles as SasquatchSanta.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531832].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Mitchell
    The site wouldn't let me post a URL --- Sorry About That.

    Here is another picture:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531037].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wampcat
    My personal niche is similar in style to the welding niche - it's electronics. specifically guitar electronics. THERE IS money to be made - you can't stop at one product. You need to have multiple products that you can sell... or at least recommend for affiliate income. Then, develop more products within your niche. But the key is to build the base - build your newsletter base. Figure out all the different products that a welder may be interested in, then supply them with that product or a WAY to get that product.

    bw
    Signature

    ...Guy who owns big guitar pedal business.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531294].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
    Ernie, those are some seriously cool trucks. I don't know much
    about old vehicles but I love the look of the big trucks from the
    1950s and before. The diversity of design is really neat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ernie Mitchell
      Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post

      Ernie, those are some seriously cool trucks. I don't know much
      about old vehicles but I love the look of the big trucks from the
      1950s and before. The diversity of design is really neat.
      Thank you.

      I wasn't certain as to whether I should post the pics or not but I wanted to use them to make my point.

      The red truck was a 1966 Military 6X6 before it was cut down into a 4X4 and exensively modified. It was owned by the 10th Mountain Division and has probably rolled on sand. It's unique in that it will burn just about any fuel from waste vegetable oil, used motor oil, gas diesel or Chanel No5.

      The orange truck is a 1953 M37 Military Dodge Power Wagon. I drove one of these in Vietnam.

      My philosophy is that if you've paid enough dues to get to the point that you know quite a bit more about a given subject that the average enthusiast the odds for success are in your favor. I think the reason a lot of starting info marketers either fail or never rise above mediocrity is because they haven't been suffucuently immersed in the subject matter they are trying to teach. That's what makes these truck sites impractical for some people to get into. If it isn't a hobby and therefore something you're going to have to learn from scratch it's better (IMHO) to learn something that has more long term growth potential associated with it. Face to face selling (Salesmanship) is my professional strong suit and therefore the mainstream foundation of my IM business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Valorie
    Maybe my husband uses the internet more because of me, but he's bought auto paint kits off ebay, a dent puller off ebay, a dvd of how to rebuild a specific transmission off ebay, and bought a buffer and pads through Amazon.

    Someone else we know buys wrecked semi's off the internet and turns them into logging trucks and dump trucks.

    If you find neat rebuildable cars for sale on ebay you could add those to your newsletter too, right? I think you get a commission or some kind of payment when you do that.

    -Valorie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1531898].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vairo
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346557].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
        I see a lot of potential in both the welding and class car niches.

        IMO, if you're going to produce products begin by targeting people new to the activity.They'll be the most thirsty for the information you provide. Once you've established yourself as a good source you can expand into the more intermediate and advanced stuff.

        I think the products should be video based and maybe include a guide. There's nothing more frustrating than trying to follow a set of instructions that doesn't contain photos or videos.

        John already mentioned checking out related markets such as the EAA and I think this is a great idea. As well, take a look at amateur motorcycle builders and amateur race car drivers/builders.

        Kevin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2347197].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sonomacats
        Originally Posted by Vairo View Post

        "Lose Weight Before the big Day" - try this weight loss supplement blabla..
        This would be extremely useful if you're trying to get into a much smaller welding mask!

        On a less facetious note, check out what the welding magazines offer. Not only can you get copies of their old articles to use for inspiration for articles of your own (for traffic purposes), but you can also see who their advertisers are and what they're selling. I'd be willing to bet you could find some good affiliate programs there.
        Signature

        Writing as Kieran McKendrick
        You can find the first prequel to my Purgatory series (How Blended are Dust and Fire) on Amazon and Smashwords.

        Whether you think you can or think you cannot, you are right. -- Henry Ford

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2347390].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author blackjack
          guys/girls

          Excellent thread with quality content. I have no knowledge of restoring cars or welding but I learnt lot about coming up with ideas for niches.

          Thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2347702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sonomacats
    Oh, and that reminds me of someone's post or blog where they said they don't use advertisers on their site, they use "sponsors". Makes you look bigger and you get taken a lot more seriously.

    So before they were able to sell advertising on their site, they put up a square for a "sponsor" which was really just an affiliate program for their niche. That way if someone was interested in purchasing the new, improved titanium welding helmet, they could click on the square to check out their products.

    Also, if you do reviews of specific products for your niche with a link to the product detail page, you're bound to get some commissions from that. If nothing else, you'll be providing your readers with useful information which will encourage them to come back.

    And don't forget about forums. Sign up for any that are related to your niche and see what they're talking about. You'll get all kinds of ideas on what would be useful to create or offer.

    That way if you do have a review for anew improved titanium welding helmet for someone who just lost weight in time to get married, you're likely to really cash in -- ya sure, you betcha (being from Minnesota originally, I figure I can get away with that every once in awhile.
    Signature

    Writing as Kieran McKendrick
    You can find the first prequel to my Purgatory series (How Blended are Dust and Fire) on Amazon and Smashwords.

    Whether you think you can or think you cannot, you are right. -- Henry Ford

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2347752].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mcmahanusa
      A lot of good suggestions here. Regarding welding, there are a lot of different types of welding, and differences in technique according to the material. You could write a really good e-book addressing different techniques, and you could even go even further afield: turning welding talent into sell-able art. Over the years some of the best art work I've seen has been that turned out by people working with metal and welding and cutting techniques. Such a book could even be sold on Amazon.

      Your only limitation is your imagination.
      Signature

      Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become - Jim Rohn

      Visit our beautiful gardens

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Murphy
    So cool that you made this post Matt. I was out at a buddies Dads house and he restores old cars...turns them into hotrods to be exact.

    I told him he should have a TV show. He's old and cantankerous...he said "Nahhh...go on"

    I said "you should have a website. He said "nahhh...go on".

    I said "people buy stuff from websites...YOU buy parts and tools from websites. You could have a banner for Jegs and if someone orders from there...YOU get commision for it"

    He said...... "pull up a chair smarty pants".

    If you are anything like he is, you likely have TONS of great info in your head that car buffs would love to have.

    Sit down with a notebook and write out all the thing you know how to do that you didn't know when you were 5.

    weld
    source rare parts online
    find cars to restore
    rebuilt a carburetor
    bleed brakes
    change a master cylinder
    Remove suspension springs without killing yourself

    I bet your list could go on and on and on.

    SO...monetize this old car niche by:

    trolling car forums, taking note of what people are asking how to do, prepare information products (ebook, audio,video) and sell it to them.

    Have a blog where you have banner ads (Jegs cart parts, JC Whitney etc. anywhere with an affiliate program)

    Put a link to your car blog in your signatures at all the car forums...write posts about cars, post videos etc. When your blog is getting lots of visitors, sell ad space on the blog to companies. That way you get paid weather anybody clicks or not.

    Keep pushing the car site and approach suppliers or tool companies...say "my site gets 25,000 views per day. I'll use your tools/product exclusively for $xxxx per month, you provide the tools and a banner ad".

    Get picked up by a TV show like Shadetree Mechanic or something.

    Oh yeah....don't be like my cantankerous old buddy...share your passion and it will come back to you.
    Signature
    Guitar PLR - New MONSTER Guitar Video PLR Pack![LIMITED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348331].message }}

Trending Topics