While its good to learn advanced techniques and strategies, IMO, as a newbie, the less you know the better.
Instead of buying up every ebook that promised a revolutionary success method, try doing this:
1. Find a high converting niche. This is as simple as going to the Clickbank marketplace and finding a product with a gravity between 50-150%
2. Get a keyword rich domain related to that niche
3. Put up a Wordpress blog
4. Do some basic keyword research using the free Google Keywords tool
5. Write 10 articles/day (yes, 10 articles is very easily possible) using the above keywords
6. Post articles to EzineArticles
7. Keep on doing this for 30 days
At the end of 30 days, you WILL see money in your Clickbank account. This is a guarantee.
The only reason, IMO, most people fail at IM is because they try too many things too often. Switching from one method to the other, trying out things beyond their technical level, jumping at every offer that promises a miracle traffic/revenue solution...this kind of behavior is the reason why most people fail online.
Pick one method. Stick to it for 30 days. Don't try ANYTHING else within this period. No matter how tempting a new eBook looks, don't waver from the method.