Sometimes I ain't too bright; how about you? Fess Up!

by Elmer Hurlstone 34 replies
Subtitle: Bonehead Marketing Mistake #17

By no means do I mean to imply with this post subtitle I've made only 17 marketing mistakes. The actual count is certainly in, at least, the high triple digits. With most it's difficult to measure the actual financial impact. #17 was measurable!

A couple or three weeks ago my business partner, Tom, and I launched a new search utility. According to Google Analytics it converted during it's WSO and immediate post-WSO phase at 25.4%. Well in excess of our most optimistic expectations!

We decided to change our delivery method from e-junkie to RAP. This was based in part on advice from one of our affiliates. That, in itself was not the mistake--although the transition was anything but easy. At least for me. (I'm one of those folks that believes--no, knows, that "php" actually means, "perfectly horrible process".)

One of the abilities of the RAP script is to adjust the "item price" in the control panel. Tom and I were working on a couple things and wished to verify function in real-time, real-money terms. We (me) changed the item price to .50 from $37 temporarily.

You know where this is going, don't you?

Yep, forgot to change it back at the conclusion of testing. He thought I did, I thought he did...

What we had was, "...a failure to communicate."

Fortunately only one sale went through at fifty cents before I fixed it.

It was a measurable loss of $36.50.

Check once, check twice, check thrice...

Lesson learned!

Elmer Hurlstone
#main internet marketing discussion forum #bright #fess #im research power tool #imrpt #search #toolbar
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
    Elmer, I've done so many stupid things like this, I could write a book.

    I guarantee you, you've got nothing on me when it comes to stupidity.

    My all time topper?

    When I was testing my Clickbank product to sell, set it to $3 and forgot to
    set it to the right price.

    I found out when the first sale came in.

    Duh!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146736].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
      Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

      Elmer, I've done so many stupid things like this, I could write a book.

      I guarantee you, you've got nothing on me when it comes to stupidity.

      My all time topper?

      When I was testing my Clickbank product to sell, set it to $3 and forgot to
      set it to the right price.

      I found out when the first sale came in.

      Duh!
      Steve,

      Need a well qualified co-author?

      Elmer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146759].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Leatherman
    Oh well at least the bonehead found it. LOL. Actually Elmer "The Fudd" dude made those kind of mistakes all the time, but at least he had his friends to help him out. Knowing Tom bailed you out that put you back on top. LOL

    Wait till Kevin see's this post, boy did you lay yourself wide open on this one.

    But you are right, you have to do like Santa and check the list thrice and then check it again to make sure everything is nice.

    Ken
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    I'd rather not say who once set up an Adwords campaign having forgotten to add the monetization to the site that it pointed to. It was only about five days before she remembered that she'd overlooked something...
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GrantFreeman
      Originally Posted by astracadia View Post

      I'd rather not say who once set up an Adwords campaign having forgotten to add the monetization to the site that it pointed to. It was only about five days before she remembered that she'd overlooked something...
      Hows this for overlooking something..

      I once spent an entire week trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a single sale. I changed the headlines, added a few selling points, and even rewrote the homepage for 6 different products.

      Someone then emailed me asking me when I'm going to start selling my products again.

      Huh?

      Like an idiot, I spent over 12 hours a day making improvements and deletions. Everything EXCEPT adding the damn paypal button code for the buttons.

      Grant
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146785].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
        Based on the early responses, confession really is good for the soul!

        Go and sin no more.

        Elmer "no, I'm not a priest" Hurlstone
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146808].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
        Originally Posted by GrantFreeman View Post

        Hows this for overlooking something..

        I once spent an entire week trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a single sale. I changed the headlines, added a few selling points, and even rewrote the homepage for 6 different products.

        Someone then emailed me asking me when I'm going to start selling my products again.

        Huh?

        Like an idiot, I spent over 12 hours a day making improvements and deletions. Everything EXCEPT adding the damn paypal button code for the buttons.

        Grant
        LOL.. now that's funny.
        Signature

        Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149463].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Scott Ames
          Maybe not the biggest mistake, but a dumb one. I found a domain name that I simply could not believe was available. It was such a fantastic find that registered it within minutes. Totally happy I went to bed. After all I was up late, tired, and I found this amazing domain name.

          The next day I got up I to look at the domain name much the same as kid would do anticipating seeing a new bike that was under the Christmas tree the day before. When I looked at it I slapped my head. When I typed in the domain search to find it I had accidently typed an extra ' l ' in the name making it a word that no one would ever use. Needing reading glasses I simply didn't see it. No wonder that fantastic name was available.
          Signature

          Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. -Winston Churchill

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
    I was testing the payment processor for one of my membership sites which is usually $59

    I set it to $1 and forgot to change it afterwards.

    We got 3 subscribers before I realised my mistake lol

    I left them there (it was my mistake after all).

    Oh yeah and I sent an email out to my list once, (a few years ago) and sent them the download page of the product instead of the sales page. (now that was embarressing)

    Kim



    Originally Posted by Elmer Hurlstone View Post

    Subtitle: Bonehead Marketing Mistake #17

    By no means do I mean to imply with this post subtitle I've made only 17 marketing mistakes. The actual count is certainly in, at least, the high triple digits. With most it's difficult to measure the actual financial impact. #17 was measurable!

    A couple or three weeks ago my business partner, Tom, and I launched a new search utility. According to Google Analytics it converted during it's WSO and immediate post-WSO phase at 25.4%. Well in excess of our most optimistic expectations!

    We decided to change our delivery method from e-junkie to RAP. This was based in part on advice from one of our affiliates. That, in itself was not the mistake--although the transition was anything but easy. At least for me. (I'm one of those folks that believes--no, knows, that "php" actually means, "perfectly horrible process".)

    One of the abilities of the RAP script is to adjust the "item price" in the control panel. Tom and I were working on a couple things and wished to verify function in real-time, real-money terms. We (me) changed the item price to .50 from $37 temporarily.

    You know where this is going, don't you?

    Yep, forgot to change it back at the conclusion of testing. He thought I did, I thought he did...

    What we had was, "...a failure to communicate."

    Fortunately only one sale went through at fifty cents before I fixed it.

    It was a measurable loss of $36.50.

    Check once, check twice, check thrice...

    Lesson learned!

    Elmer Hurlstone
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146816].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

      I was testing the payment processor for one of my membership sites which is usually $59

      I set it to $1 and forgot to change it afterwards.

      We got 3 subscribers before I realised my mistake lol

      I left them there (it was my mistake after all).

      Oh yeah and I sent an email out to my list once, (a few years ago) and sent them the download page of the product instead of the sales page. (now that was embarressing)

      Kim
      Ouch!!! Don't you just HATE when that happens?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146827].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author naruq
        Elmer don't feel bad. Elmer I made my share of mistakes and I am sure that I will continue to make many more.
        Signature

        Please do not use affiliate links in signatures

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146914].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
          As long as we're all 'fessing up...

          I won't tell you who set up a successful trial on a subdomain of one their sites, registered a domain for the promotion, built a keyword list, started the adwords clicks flowing - and forgot to change the dns settings on the domain...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrew Dillon
    I spent three months writing a new book creating the website writing the articles you know the usual stuff. Now when I am creating a new product I use a re-direct domain name for test purposes, I don't actually buy the right domain name for the product until it is finished and ready to go because I change my mind so bloody much.

    Anyways I loaded everything up payment processor the lot and left it to it's own devices. Two weeks later and I check to see how the sales are doing and nothing. I had only forgotten to register a domain name and use that to market the product, I had been using the test redirect name instead.

    The product cost $47 and god knows how much the advertising cost, I must have lost thousands. I quickly registered a domain name and luckily the sales went through the roof but it still hurts to this day. not the amount of money I lost but the stupid mistake i had made.
    Signature
    Ebooks With Resale Rights For Pennies On the Dollar.
    http://www.elite-audio-video-solutions.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris W. Sutton
    After reading your post, Elmer, I have to admit that I must fess up... no, you aren't too bright! I hadn't noticed that until your post made me stop and think. After much cogitating, I finally realized you were right. Thank you so much for that!

    Take care!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[146985].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
      Originally Posted by Chris W. Sutton View Post

      After reading your post, Elmer, I have to admit that I must fess up... no, you aren't too bright! I hadn't noticed that until your post made me stop and think. After much cogitating, I finally realized you were right. Thank you so much for that!

      Take care!
      My friend, my dear, dear friend, your response and the outpouring of your heart when you heard of my plight is simply--underwhelming.

      I'm truly honored to count you among those closest to me--in a virtual sort of way.

      I'd like to leave you with this old Irish blessing. It was once given me by an old Irishman,

      "May the road fall down ahead of you, may the wind be ever in your face..."

      Elmer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[147018].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
        OK here we go!

        Picture this!

        Your day is already moving at the speed of light and you still have 45-50
        things to do before it ends.

        So, out of the kindness of your heart you decided to help your spouse
        while they pick up the kids from school.

        The phone rings, Someone knocks on the door, The dog wants out and you
        spill a full picture of Iced Tea.

        That's the good part!

        Next you realize that you didn't put the Meatloaf in the oven like your spouse
        had asked before they left and at the same time your removing clothes
        from the dryer.

        The phone rings again and some one else knocks on the door while you attempting to get the meatloaf into the oven.

        You come back from answering the phone and the door only to find out that you put the meat loaf in the dryer and turned it on!

        I won't say who did that but I know for a FACT that They will never live it
        down!

        Have a Great Day!
        Michael
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[147052].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
          Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post

          OK here we go!

          Picture this!

          Your day is already moving at the speed of light and you still have 45-50
          things to do before it ends.

          So, out of the kindness of your heart you decided to help your spouse
          while they pick up the kids from school.

          The phone rings, Someone knocks on the door, The dog wants out and you
          spill a full picture of Iced Tea.

          That's the good part!

          Next you realize that you didn't put the Meatloaf in the oven like your spouse
          had asked before they left and at the same time your removing clothes
          from the dryer.

          The phone rings again and some one else knocks on the door while you attempting to get the meatloaf into the oven.

          You come back from answering the phone and the door only to find out that you put the meat loaf in the dryer and turned it on!

          I won't say who did that but I know for a FACT that They will never live it
          down!

          Have a Great Day!
          Michael
          Michael's post sums up the single most important reason we fall victim to ourselves.

          Distractions!

          Most of us have lives outside marketing. The people and activities around us place demands on our time and concentration. Often rightly so.

          The varied things we do within our "marketing compartment" also have different priorities. Priorities that may move up or down the list on a given moment.

          While we may take pride in our ability to juggle activities as need be when something intrudes on our ever so carefully planned work flow we may skip over "Step 7" of our well designed 15 step process.

          When I figure out how to avoid this I'll let you know...

          Elmer
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148514].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
            Originally Posted by Elmer Hurlstone View Post

            Michael's post sums up the single most important reason we fall victim to ourselves.

            Distractions!

            Most of us have lives outside marketing. The people and activities around us place demands on our time and concentration. Often rightly so.

            The varied things we do within our "marketing compartment" also have different priorities. Priorities that may move up or down the list on a given moment.

            While we may take pride in our ability to juggle activities as need be when something intrudes on our ever so carefully planned work flow we may skip over "Step 7" of our well designed 15 step process.

            When I figure out how to avoid this I'll let you know...

            Elmer
            Elmer

            men can't multitask simple as that, women do loads of stuff like that all at the same time every day lol

            Kim
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149272].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kumar
          Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post

          OK here we go!

          Picture this!

          Your day is already moving at the speed of light and you still have 45-50
          things to do before it ends.

          So, out of the kindness of your heart you decided to help your spouse
          while they pick up the kids from school.

          The phone rings, Someone knocks on the door, The dog wants out and you
          spill a full picture of Iced Tea.

          That's the good part!

          Next you realize that you didn't put the Meatloaf in the oven like your spouse
          had asked before they left and at the same time your removing clothes
          from the dryer.

          The phone rings again and some one else knocks on the door while you attempting to get the meatloaf into the oven.

          You come back from answering the phone and the door only to find out that you put the meat loaf in the dryer and turned it on!

          I won't say who did that but I know for a FACT that They will never live it
          down!

          Have a Great Day!
          Michael
          Michael Mayo,

          I thought this was a confession room for only IM related bloopers and I could just laugh at the posts without contributing BUT your post forced me to take something out of my chest (not that I have not made a mistake in IM; I am still a newbie and haven't done anything ):

          Back when I lived in Delhi (alone ), when intending to wash clothes once (didn't have a washing machine then), I put detergent in a bucket of water, worked out a good foam, only to realize 3 hours later that I forgot to soak the clothes.

          Go on, fight for the runners up prize!
          Signature

          Life is not a sprint, its a marathon. A bad start does not really matter too much

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
    Personal for {firstnamefix] Eyes Only

    Okay, not really. At least not quite that bad. But you get the point.

    Hmm. Sent the email to the wrong list. Configured the payment processor to send the buyer to the wrong page. Plenty more.

    My wife once forwarded a naughty joke to a bunch of friends. and sent it to the wrong person with the same first name. They didn't find it very funny. But I sure did!

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[147116].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
      As the affiliate who recommended RAP instead of e-junkie, I must take some responsibility for this. I knew that if I got a Floridian of very little brain to attempt installing RAP, I could have days of amusement watching him flounder about. This just adds one more laugh for me.

      Now back to seeing what else Elmer will screw up.

      Muhahahahahahahhaha
      Signature
      Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[147218].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dana_W
        Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

        As the affiliate who recommended RAP instead of e-junkie, I must take some responsibility for this. I knew that if I got a Floridian of very little brain to attempt installing RAP, I could have days of amusement watching him flounder about. This just adds one more laugh for me.

        Now back to seeing what else Elmer will screw up.

        Muhahahahahahahhaha
        Oh, you did NOT just take on the Floridians! We Floridians are dangerous when angered! Folks, I know for a fact that threatening Kevin Riley with a can of Nair makes him very, very nervous. Can't imagine why.

        Stupid marketing mistakes...in my case, they usually involve my signature lines on this forum leading to a broken link. Also I started Iming in earnest last November and only started working on gathering a list of customer names...this past Monday.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    And then that said affiliate spent time killing his office as he bashed his head on walls and desks trying to install RAP as well :p
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[147274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rapidscc
    Hehehe This post is like Dumb and Dumber...

    We'll you know what they say making mistakes is much better than doing nothingl.

    Who was that guy who discovered the light bulb? he said he committed thousands of mistakes before he actually built one. Oh I remember, its Elvis! :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148554].message }}
  • This post makes a newbie
    feel a lot more comfortable,
    and it's cool that we can
    laugh at our mistakes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148571].message }}
  • PS...
    Last Friday was insane.

    When I finally got home,I was so exhausted,
    that I grabbed my kids out of the car;

    walked around to the trunk and got the groceries out;

    walked up 2 flight of stairs to my apartment;

    only to realize that I couldn't get in because...

    the only house key was located on the key chain -
    which was still in the car - and the car was still running!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148586].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Travis Wade
    Well, I might as well share one of my stupid moments. Actually, I just caught this today!

    I do article marketing from time to time and I wrote an article for a new product that I created and so far it has had over nine thousand views. Great right? It would have been but I selected the wrong resource box to use. So, essentially, I was trying to sell people something that they had no interest in.

    I wonder how much that cost me? Ouch!

    -Travis
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
      Originally Posted by Travis Wade View Post

      Well, I might as well share one of my stupid moments. Actually, I just caught this today!

      I do article marketing from time to time and I wrote an article for a new product that I created and so far it has had over nine thousand views. Great right? It would have been but I selected the wrong resource box to use. So, essentially, I was trying to sell people something that they had no interest in.

      I wonder how much that cost me? Ouch!

      -Travis
      Travis,

      I feel your pain. Out of 9,000 article views it's logical to assume you would have made quite a few sales.

      While "what I didn't sell" isn't precisely measurable you probably are the winner in this thread.

      At best a dubious honor.

      In addition to "distractions", "too many choices" may have to go on our "Bone Headed Mistake List."

      Elmer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Travis Wade
    Elmer, that wouldn't be the first "bone headed" list I've been on I'm sure. This mistake ranks right up there with the time I forgot to enable my payment module in one of my ecommerce sites after an upgrade. Caught that after about 6 hours. It was and still is one of my highest income sites so that hurt a little bit.

    I've been over extending myself lately with a new membership site in the works, making videos, writing copy plus keeping up with my other eCommerce sites and the rest of my affiliate stuff. Just goes to show you what having your hand in too many things will do to you mentally.

    The good news is once all of this is done I'm taking a very long and needed vacation.

    -Travis
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[148776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lloyd Buchinski
    Originally Posted by Elmer Hurlstone View Post

    Subtitle: Bonehead Marketing Mistake #17
    It was a measurable loss of $36.50.
    Elmer Hurlstone
    Do you actually know that? If the price showed as 50 cents it might
    have been someone who never would have bought it at bigger bucks,
    and you might be a half buck farther ahead to your first billion than if
    you hadn't made that really smart move.

    I was moving quickly one morning, though not as fast as Michael Mayo.
    I got a full pot of coffee started and ran off to get a few things done
    while it was brewing. Came back and found that I had forgot to put the
    pot in place and it was a bit of a mess. "Oh well," I always say when I
    really screw something up, "my whole life is like that, why should today
    be any different?" It is jut a joke now but it did come out of a time when
    that seemed a little too close to being true.
    Signature

    Do something spectacular; be fulfilled. Then you can be your own hero. Prem Rawat

    The KimW WSO

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149060].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Elmer Hurlstone
      Originally Posted by Lloyd Buchinski View Post

      Do you actually know that? If the price showed as 50 cents it might
      have been someone who never would have bought it at bigger bucks,
      and you might be a half buck farther ahead to your first billion than if
      you hadn't made that really smart move.
      Lloyd,

      We don't use the RAP "get price" code snippet on our sales page. The $37 price is part of the page. Since there is no confusion at the point of purchase most people who press the PayPal button are likely prepared to buy.

      Granted some people do abandon before completing purchase. So, it is possible we gained fifty cents as opposed to losing 36.50.

      Of course the more important aspect of this discussion is that inattention to detail can get you. Sometimes seriously!

      Elmer
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149478].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Fullman
    Originally Posted by Elmer Hurlstone View Post

    (I'm one of those folks that believes--no, knows, that "php" actually means, "perfectly horrible process".)
    Or "perhaps hire (silent 'a') programmer"...?



    Steve
    Signature

    Not promoting right now

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149099].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DougBarger
    Rev. Hurlstone and others,

    Thanks for "freeing us up" to confess our mistakes and receive the healing it brings.

    Personally, at the moment, I'm too occupied undoing, cleaning up after,
    attempting to learn from, put them behind me, etc.

    Now, we have to count them?

    Would have to outsource that for sure but not on a per project basis!

    All kidding aside, we all make mistakes and it's good to know we are human.

    If we're not failing often enough, how hard are we working anyway and what are we learning?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[149353].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics