How can Fat Loss 4 Idiots claim to help you "lose 9lbs. every 11 days"?

by richpeck 18 replies
I don't get it - there's nothing on their site about how that figure won't be constant for everyone and where they got it from.

Surely they can't claim something like that if it's not true OR they don't have proof to back it up?

If I made a product, do you think I could put something like that on it?

Rich
#main internet marketing discussion forum #claim #fat #idiots #lose 9lbs every 11 days #loss
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Niche
    They have been online for a while now and they have been a best seller on clickbank for almost as long so the customers must be getting something from it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nonny
    I haven't seen Fat Loss 4 Idiots specifically, but I have read similar claims in women's magazines and know other women who have tried those diets. Even though the claims are likely exaggerated, people become so desperate to lose weight they'll try anything, especially if it claims to be quick and easy. And usually ignored is the disclaimer about "results not typical" in tiny type.

    The thing is, it is possible to lose that much weight in a week, but it's almost always going to be water weight rather than fat. Such diets work in the short term, but as soon as you stop starving or "cleansing" yourself, the weight comes right back. It's a bit perverse, but if the marketing is right you can convince people that the regain is entirely their own fault for not perfectly following the diet, rather than because the method of weight loss isn't sustainable. That's part of the reason why the weight loss industry is so profitable - people keep coming back for the next easy fix.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AJ Ervin
    The claim of a 9 lb. weight loss every 11 days definitely isn't the only thing on their website that I would like to see evidence for. I can't say that I'm surprised anymore though, the incredible amount of the weight loss and medical MISinformation on Clickbank and other sites is frightening.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151499].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
      ...yet *everyone* knows that there are no miracle cures and that you just need to eat less and exercise more.

      Maybe there's room for a product on ClickBank that tells people the truth that they already know, but gives them a really good, practical plan to work through.

      'Cos it seems the appetite (excuse the pun) is there for this sort of product.

      Cheers,

      Neil
      Signature

      Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151504].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AJ Ervin
        Originally Posted by Neil Morgan View Post

        Maybe there's room for a product on ClickBank that tells people the truth that they already know, but gives them a really good, practical plan to work through.
        The problem with writing a "really good, practical plan" is that the ONLY common denominator to weight loss is creating a calorie deficit. Every person's "practical plan" will be different and at the end of the day will ALWAYS depend on the user's commitment to sticking to their chosen plan.

        That said, the person that develops a plan that folks will unwaveringly dedicate themselves to will be a millionaire several times over.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151523].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
          Originally Posted by AJ Ervin View Post

          The problem with writing a "really good, practical plan" is that the ONLY common denominator to weight loss is creating a calorie deficit. Every person's "practical plan" will be different and at the end of the day will ALWAYS depend on the user's commitment to sticking to their chosen plan.

          That said, the person that develops a plan that folks will unwaveringly dedicate themselves to will be a millionaire several times over.
          That's exactly why we put together a practical plan that actually tells the truth and combined it with peer support and motivation - Join The Team Diets Weightloss Program

          I just got an email today from a member who lost 50 pounds on our program. And his wife lost 40 pounds. That really made my day.

          There is a lot more to weight loss than just creating a calorie deficit, btw. Eventually your metabolism will slow and adjust to the low calorie diet rendering it ineffective.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151610].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AJ Ervin
            Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

            There is a lot more to weight loss than just creating a calorie deficit, btw. Eventually your metabolism will slow and adjust to the low calorie diet rendering it ineffective.
            Ron, I definitely don't want this to be taken the wrong way but, weight loss is directly related to a person's energy intake and energy requirements. Everything else, be it behavior modification, exercise, age, or metabolism is only a component of an individual's energy requirements. Yes, every person's metabolism changes as their weight, age, and activities change but, in order to lose weight, there must be a deficit between your energy requirements (metabolism is a part of this) and your energy intake, thus a calorie deficit.

            Keys, A, Brozek, J, Henschel, A, et al. The biology of human starvation, vols 1 and 2. University of Minnesota University Press, Minneapolis, 1950.

            National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute and the North American Association for the study of Obesity. Practical guide identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults, Publication no. 00-4084, NIH,Washington, DC 2000.

            Kinsell, LW, Gunning, B, Michaels, GD, et al. Calories do count. Metabolism 1964; 13:195.

            Champagne, CM, Bray, GA, Kurtz, AA, et al. Energy intake and energy expenditure: a controlled study comparing dietitians and non-dietitians. J Am Diet Assoc 2002; 102:1428.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151633].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Ron Douglas
              Originally Posted by AJ Ervin View Post

              Ron, I definitely don't want this to be taken the wrong way but, weight loss is directly related to a person's energy intake and energy requirements. Everything else, be it behavior modification, exercise, age, or metabolism is only a component of an individual's energy requirements. Yes, every person's metabolism changes as their weight, age, and activities change but, in order to lose weight, there must be a deficit between your energy requirements (metabolism is a part of this) and your energy intake, thus a calorie deficit.

              Keys, A, Brozek, J, Henschel, A, et al. The biology of human starvation, vols 1 and 2. University of Minnesota University Press, Minneapolis, 1950.

              National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute and the North American Association for the study of Obesity. Practical guide identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults, Publication no. 00-4084, NIH,Washington, DC 2000.

              Kinsell, LW, Gunning, B, Michaels, GD, et al. Calories do count. Metabolism 1964; 13:195.

              Champagne, CM, Bray, GA, Kurtz, AA, et al. Energy intake and energy expenditure: a controlled study comparing dietitians and non-dietitians. J Am Diet Assoc 2002; 102:1428.
              I'm not arguing with you there, but metabolism is a factor. There are specific things you can do to increase your metabolism beyond just reducing your caloric intake (which doesn't work long term).
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151677].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                Originally Posted by Ron Douglas View Post

                I'm not arguing with you there, but metabolism is a factor. There are specific things you can do to increase your metabolism beyond just reducing your caloric intake (which doesn't work long term).
                Ron, I think everybody is different, but for me, caloric intake is solely
                responsible for my weight. My metabolism has slowed to a crawl at my
                age. If I ate like I did when I was a kid, I'd be a blimp, plain and simple.

                I know how many calories I burn in a day and I therefore know how many
                calories I can eat in a day. I'd tell you my diet but you'd probably wonder
                how I live at all, and yet, I eat good food, am never hungry and weigh
                exactly what I did when I was 21 years old.

                But again, everybody is different and not everybody will be able to do what
                I do and keep their weight down. But for some, it is a long term solution.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
    I'm not familiar with fat loss 4 idiots but 9 lbs in 11 days seems like a very irresponsible statement. I have trouble losing 9 lbs a month :rolleyes: but even if someone did lose 9 lbs in 11 days, that's just not healthy. Losing too much weight too fast can cause a lot of health problems- that's a problem I don't have to worry about. But it just seems crazy to suggest that.
    Signature

    siggy taking a break...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    They're using a popular technique that bodybuilders adapt during pre-competition preparation or to break weight loss plateaus. Tom Venuto dedicates an entire chapter to it in BFFM. It's a form of "shock" to the body since you're always changing the carb/protein content of each meal. This keeps the metabolism chugging like fire.

    Definitely not healthy long term.

    On a side note, I'm doing really well with Weight Watchers. It really friggin' works and the points-thing makes it idiot-proof. And I'm eating all the stuff I love. I wish I could get accepted into their Affiliate program already.
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hamida Harland
      I can imagine it would be quite possible for the first 11 days, especially if you were quite overweight - although probably alot of it would be water weight.

      From discussions I've read on a weight loss forum people don't really believe they'll lose that much every 11 days, so then they don't end up being disappointed. Doesn't stop them from trying it out though :rolleyes:. I'd love to know what the refund rate is.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151531].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    What mystifies me is how a program that more or less addresses it's potential purchasers as 'fat idiots' can prove to be so popular. Evidently the buyers see 'loss' written much larger.
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151539].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by astracadia View Post

      What mystifies me is how a program that more or less addresses it's potential purchasers as 'fat idiots' can prove to be so popular. Evidently the buyers see 'loss' written much larger.
      The same way that the "4 Dummies" series of books is so popular.

      For whatever reason, some people identify with that label. They have no
      problem admitting that they can't do something and need all the help they
      can get, maybe even more so than the "average" person.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tess47
    This program definitely has something going for it - I've sold a ton of them, with no refunds requested so far.

    I really do think it works well for many people, although I wouldn't think that most lose 9 pounds in 11 days - probably more like 6 or 7.

    Whatever they're doing, it works!
    Signature

    Tess
    Ghostwriting Services - Exceptional Content With An SEO Twist!
    Internet Marketing Tips - Straight Talk Marketing! Is Success on YOUR Horizon?
    Content Writing Services - Great. Content. Period.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by tess47 View Post

      This program definitely has something going for it - I've sold a ton of them, with no refunds requested so far.

      I really do think it works well for many people, although I wouldn't think that most lose 9 pounds in 11 days - probably more like 6 or 7.

      Whatever they're doing, it works!
      Anybody who knows anything about weight loss knows that the first 10
      pounds is water and comes off very fast. That's why these type of programs
      work "up to a point" because those first few pounds (depending on how
      heavy you are) are the easiest to get off.

      Truth is, just any half baked diet will get 5 to 10 pounds off with no
      problem, especially if you're 70 pounds overweight.

      My wife recently tipped the scales at 150. Now, she's pretty tall, so on
      her, that doesn't look too bad. Still, she should be around 130. So she
      went on a very sensible diet. In the first week, doing nothing special, she
      lost 7 pounds. Now, getting down to 130 will be the tough part, but those
      first few pounds...not too much trouble.

      I'm not going to get into the reality of diets here but the truth is, most
      diets are just fads. The truly sensible ones aren't glamorous enough and
      wouldn't sell a hill of beans worth.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151548].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AJ Ervin
      Originally Posted by tess47 View Post

      This program definitely has something going for it - I've sold a ton of them, with no refunds requested so far.

      I really do think it works well for many people, although I wouldn't think that most lose 9 pounds in 11 days - probably more like 6 or 7.

      Whatever they're doing, it works!
      You're right, the program does have something going for it. They target DESPERATE BUYERS. Most people that are desperate to lose weight are used to buying a new program, not getting the amazing results promised on the cover, and then moving on to the next program. When they went to the bookstore and bought the Atkins diet, the South Beach diet, Body for Life, and every other program, they never returned the book, they just moved on to the next fad diet.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author richpeck
    hey thanks for all the replies!

    I was thinking more about the legal side of things - what's to stop me making a diet and saying it can lose them 9lbs every 11 day?

    Rich
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AJ Ervin
    Rich,

    While I'm not an attorney, my assumption would be that the program has a disclaimer that protects them from their advertising claims and suggests that buyers consult a physician prior to use. I would guess that this isn't that much different from internet marketers with disclaimers inside the book removing liability when buyers don't make $10K overnight, even though that's what the headline of his or her wso said.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Lockwood
    The main thing is that the product doesn't mention listbuilding.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151575].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Doug McIsaac
    The issue with weight loss programs is that almost all of them work in the short-term. BUT none of them works for everyone in the long-term because we are all different. We all have different foods we like / dislike, we like to work out differently or not at all and our bodies burn calories at different rates because of age, sex, physical activity etc...

    That's why the only way to have true long-term weight loss is to track everything, see what works for you and make adjustments.

    Weight loss and internet marketing are alike in the fact that everyone wants that "one magic trick" that will finally make them lose weight/make money. When true success is based on fundamentals, making a plan, working the plan, tracking what you're doing, doing more of what works and less of what doesn't.

    Doug

    Does that
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[151782].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics