46 replies
So many Warriors are so negative and to put it bluntly downright unpleasant at times.

I've been on the forum quite a bit just recently, and I've seen a growing trend where a really decent thread is started by some excellent contributors and it's like trolls and other nasties just pour out of the woodwork to jump on them and ruin the whole thread. It's like they get a cheap thrill if they find something remotely "off" about the OP and/or subsequent posters and the saddest thing is, they are usually completely off the mark...

You have a thread which is about 4-5 pages long, and discover much of it instead of having worthwhile contributions, just consists of flaming and counter flaming. There is no wonder so many of the more well known marketer's have stopped posting here. (What a loss).

The Warrior forum is a wonderful resource, instead of hiding behind the anonymity of your computer bitching and moaning and being convinced we're all out to get each other, try taking it on board and appreciating it when someone writes an excellent post which is designed to help you out.

Sometimes the help you need is there in front of you slapping you round the chops.

Think about what your posting before you lose even more of your biggest resource. (Experienced Marketers who know what they are talking about)

Kim
  • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
    Well as opposed to my regular self Yesterday I was a complete fool so I know where your coming from. I notice a lot of people posting lately like even when people are doing good and try and turn it negative. I don't know Kim maybe the water
    -WD
    Signature

    "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
    Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    Here's the funny thing...

    It used to be that some newcomers to this forum didn't post much because they were afraid to. The forum had a reputation for being tough on folks. Some newcomers thought that veterans "ganged up on them."

    Now we have a lot of incredibly bright people with lots to offer who don't post here any more. And one reason is because every time they do, their posts, their products and even their characters are questioned.

    I'm not sure if it's a new trend, but I do see it.

    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723106].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
      Not sure whether it's new or not Becky as I wasn't on here much for a while for most of last year. I've just noticed it really over the last few weeks

      I just find it incredibly sad and frustrating,

      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      Here's the funny thing...

      It used to be that some newcomers to this forum didn't post much because they were afraid to. The forum had a reputation for being tough on folks. Some newcomers thought that veterans "ganged up on them."

      Now we have a lot of incredibly bright people with lots to offer who don't post here any more. And one reason is because every time they do, their posts, their products and even their characters are questioned.

      I'm not sure if it's a new trend, but I do see it.

      Cheers,
      Becky
      No idea Mike, I wish I did

      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One question: What can we do to change it?

      ~Michael
      Will I wasn't specifically thinking about you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723114].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    One question: What can we do to change it?

    ~Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723110].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One question: What can we do to change it?

      ~Michael
      Good question, Michael.

      A lot of the problems start from those who like to stir up drama. They feed off it. They like to watch it unfold. They use it like an energy bar to revitalize themselves.

      So we ignore it. Ignore the trolls. Ignore the drama. Don't throw fuel on the fire. Don't give the drama queens and kings any "energy" to consume. Don't reward bad behavior.

      Easier said than done, though.

      Focus on positive threads. Be leaders by example.

      cheers,
      Becky

      p.s. I need to take my own advice.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723122].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        Because that's the way some people are.

        It's really that simple.

        Once you understand it and accept it, you'll find that it becomes a lot easier
        to deal with.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723134].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
        I agree entirely, but it's difficult to ignore when there is a heap of infighting on a thread, I'd love to know what would work

        Many threads start off as very positive, and they just degenerate

        Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

        Good question, Michael.

        A lot of the problems start from those who like to stir up drama. They feed off it. They like to watch it unfold. They use it like an energy bar to revitalize themselves.

        So we ignore it. Ignore the trolls. Ignore the drama. Don't throw fuel on the fire. Don't give the drama queens and kings any "energy" to consume.

        Easier said than done, though.

        cheers,
        Becky
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723136].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author glchandler
          Kim, it's just not worth the effort. Some people think they know it all, and anything posted they will dispute, because they have to prove to everybody how much better they are.

          It's one reason many of us don't start new threads with information now.
          Problem is that many of us who have been here for 1 1/2 to 2 years plus and spent the majority of that time learning, now must miss out on these posts.

          For the last month or so I have thought this same way, something is haywire. Not that I have the right (or desire) to mix into the politics of this forum the available information is dwindling. Shame. I find myself reading the type posting you speak of, then reviewing the previous posts of many of the naysayers.

          The atmosphere they create in any one post they have brought along with them on many of their entries.

          Again, shame and I find that I am searching more in other places for the knowledge that I should be finding here!
          Signature

          There is never a BAD time to help those living with lousy kidneys!
          http://funds.gofundme.com/1oh40


          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723161].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author affilcrazy
          Some may consider their behaviour completely rational and normal, while everyone else around them know's they are making a complete fool of themselves. I guess we are all from different walks of life!

          Kim, if the thread in question is the one i'm thinking of, i believe the majority did a fairly good job of "moderating" the minority. I still think there is a great sense of community in that thread and it has just tried to be ruined by a silly few. However, you will always come across people who are either jealous, ill-informed or just basically an idiot.

          How do you deal with it? In my opinion (for what it's worth) it's is very hard to change the way another person thinks and views things (especially online). Perhaps the best course of action is as Becky has mentioned - don't add fuel to the fire, often a reaction is just what others are looking for. Ignore them and they have to find someone else to annoy! And before you say it, i know it's easier said than done.

          Cheers
          Partha
          Signature
          "There is no fixed teaching. All I can provide is an appropriate medicine for a particular ailment" - Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do (on Zen)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723255].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
            I'm thinking of a few recent ones to be honest but I would imagine that yes the one your thinking about is included.

            I think your right about adding fuel to the fire, at one time I would have jumped straight into a thread and probably made it a 100 times worse. I try and moderate myself now as I can appreciate my actions probably made things a lot worse. (I don't always get it right though lol)

            Originally Posted by affilcrazy View Post

            Some may consider their behaviour completely rational and normal, while everyone else around them know's they are making a complete fool of themselves. I guess we are all from different walks of life!

            Kim, if the thread in question is the one i'm thinking of, i believe the majority did a fairly good job of "moderating" the minority. I still think there is a great sense of community in that thread and it has just tried to be ruined by a silly few. However, you will always come across people who are either jealous, ill-informed or just basically an idiot.

            How do you deal with it? In my opinion (for what it's worth) it's is very hard to change the way another person thinks and views things (especially online). Perhaps the best course of action is as Becky has mentioned - don't add fuel to the fire, often a reaction is just what others are looking for. Ignore them and they have to find someone else to annoy! And before you say it, i know it's easier said than done.

            Cheers
            Partha
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723274].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author affilcrazy
              Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

              I try and moderate myself now as I can appreciate my actions probably made things a lot worse. (I don't always get it right though lol)
              LOL! But IMO you get it right more often than not.
              Signature
              "There is no fixed teaching. All I can provide is an appropriate medicine for a particular ailment" - Bruce Lee, Tao of Jeet Kune Do (on Zen)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723304].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author All Night Cafe
        Kim, you are right. I hadn't been around for 2 1/2 years.

        I had some others things going on. I came back a few
        months ago, noticed what you were talking about
        and just figured this had been going on.

        I know that when I see a great thread started, I follow
        it all the way. Half of it reveals good info, the other
        not so much.

        I wish it would get back to the way it used to be, all
        comments for the good of the post and the sharing of
        infomation.

        It helps us all, even us other marketers to remember
        what it was like to be a new marketer.

        Sharing is caring, which builds relationships, which in
        the long term builds your business.

        Maybe you starting this thread will shed light on what
        the forum was.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bossman34
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One question: What can we do to change it?

      ~Michael
      I think probably the best thing to do is to completely ignore people who are the problem. As hard as it is, the best thing to do to people who are negative or trying to start a flame war is to completely ignore them...don't throw fuel on the fire.

      Of course, we'll never completely solve the problem as there will always be negative people and those who have nothing positive to contribute. But the best way to get them to go away is to ignore them.

      I made the commitment to myself yesterday that I would not get caught up in negative topics/threads online. It's a waste of time and completely ridiculous...it does nothing good for my online business.

      Just my thoughts!

      Adam
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lawrh
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One question: What can we do to change it?

      ~Michael
      Perhaps a "Troll" button could be added. Five "Trolls" and your gone.

      Or not. Over the last eighteen years I've been on the 'Net, I've seen
      many who would take pride in being banned. Oh well...
      Signature

      “Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare.” – Old Japanese proverb -

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723185].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Wright
        Originally Posted by Lawrh View Post

        Perhaps a "Troll" button could be added. Five "Trolls" and your gone.

        Or not. Over the last eighteen years I've been on the 'Net, I've seen
        many who would take pride in being banned. Oh well...
        There is a troll button . I don't know how many clicks of it that it takes I think 3.

        George Wright
        Signature
        "The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book." Mickey Spillane
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723566].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
          Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

          You have a thread which is about 4-5 pages long, and discover much of it instead of having worthwhile contributions, just consists of flaming and counter flaming. There is no wonder so many of the more well known marketer's have stopped posting here. (What a loss).
          A related problem, and one that I've seen cause problems in threads like you mentioned, is that some people don't bother to fully read the original post. Misunderstandings happen and we probably all have occasions where we've misunderstood what someone wrote, but I'm talking about the times where it's painfully clear the respondent did not read or comprehend the original post.

          I've seen this firsthand in threads that I've started. I might ask a question and solicit and answer or opinions and almost invariably there will be responses by people that very clearly did not read the post because they are answering very superficially. In some cases, I think it's people still under the impression they need to get their post counts up to run a WSO but other times you're just left wondering why they apparently cannot read.

          Originally Posted by George Wright View Post

          There is a troll button . I don't know how many clicks of it that it takes I think 3.
          I've been a member of forums where there is an "Ignore" button. If that's an option here, I haven't found it. With an "Ignore" button, you can simply ignore the obvious trolls or the individuals that have no credibility in your view. It doesn't affect anyone else from seeing them, but you can browse the forum freely and never have to hear from anyone you consider an "undesirable" again.
          Signature

          Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

          Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723683].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AmyBrown
            Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post



            I've been a member of forums where there is an "Ignore" button. If that's an option here, I haven't found it. With an "Ignore" button, you can simply ignore the obvious trolls or the individuals that have no credibility in your view. It doesn't affect anyone else from seeing them, but you can browse the forum freely and never have to hear from anyone you consider an "undesirable" again.
            There is an ignore feature: http://www.warriorforum.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
            Signature
            "Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast."
            Tom Peters

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723697].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
              Originally Posted by AmyBrown View Post

              Now, that just needs to be moved under their profile popup so you can access it from within a thread.
              Signature

              Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

              Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723712].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
                Honestly, as bad as it might sound, I get more solid info and things to think about from the threads that do go south.

                There was a time not long ago that alot of information and posts when uncontested. Fortunately for all of us, it seems like the knowledge base of the forum is getting much larger.

                Because of this, there seems to be more differing of opinions.

                Sometimes the threads that I see people referring to as "personal attacks" are not attacks at all - Just one person disagreeing with another. But, because of who they are disagreeing with, it is deemed and attack.

                I admit that there is a fair amount of trolling though - In those cases, just don't feed them.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723726].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author greff
                  Originally Posted by Jeremy Kelsall View Post

                  Honestly, as bad as it might sound, I get more solid info and things to think about from the threads that do go south.

                  There was a time not long ago that alot of information and posts when uncontested. Fortunately for all of us, it seems like the knowledge base of the forum is getting much larger.

                  Because of this, there seems to be more differing of opinions.

                  Sometimes the threads that I see people referring to as "personal attacks" are not attacks at all - Just one person disagreeing with another. But, because of who they are disagreeing with, it is deemed and attack.

                  I admit that there is a fair amount of trolling though - In those cases, just don't feed them.
                  I'm with Jeremy here but my definition of a troll is someone who starts a thread with the intent to make it a very long one so they can keep advertising their wares in their sig file. There is one on the main board right now with 1200 replies that I am fairly sure was staged from the beginning. I know this has happened many times but after a while I feel I need to say something to make the newbies aware that people do this.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1724274].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      One question: What can we do to change it?

      ~Michael
      Here are a few ideas, and I'll be the first to admit none of these ideas are without fault, but...

      1. Gang up on the meathead and beat them mercilessly? Okay, maybe just verbally.
      2. Require people to use their real name so they can't hide behind anonymity?
      3. Require people to use their real photo so they can't hide behind anonymity?
      4. Quicker bans, ones that get longer with each ban?
      5. Require a substantial fee to be reinstated after you've been banned once?
      6. Send Johnny Ramone to pay them a visit in person? Have you seen the guns on that guy?

      Okay, just kidding with item six. Items four and five might be worth discussing though. Thoughts?
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bev Clement
    Kim, it's just not worth the effort. Some people think they know it all, and anything posted they will dispute, because they have to prove to everybody how much better they are.

    It's one reason many of us don't start new threads with information now.

    Bev
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Maybe we work harder to SUPPORT the threads that stay positive, and abandon the ones that turn negative.

    Feed the good.

    Starve the bad.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723144].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
      Hmm sounds good to me

      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      Maybe we work harder to SUPPORT the threads that stay positive, and abandon the ones that turn negative.

      Feed the good.

      Starve the bad.

      All the best,
      Michael
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723154].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
        I took a lot of psychology in college. For the life of me, I don't know why. I
        guess I liked to study stuff.

        Anyway, there are people in this world who suffer from lack of esteem. They
        have little going in their lives, so the only way they can get any satisfaction
        is by raining on somebody else's parade. It makes them feel like they have
        some kind of power.

        Plus, it is easy to do in a forum. Nobody can see them so they don't have
        to worry about how they really look. They can come off as the biggest
        baddest person in the world, even if in reality, they are total cowards.

        Watch some "Criminal Minds" and you'll get a good insight into why people
        act as they do.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sleeq
    I think these people who post negativity and critique perfectly functional threads and / or members are amongst a growing number concerning how the internet is used universally.

    It's actually one of those new, annoying and ultimately unwanted trends.

    We've all heard accounts on pretty much any website where you can post your view.

    The problem is people....

    Who are probably too afraid when it comes to confronting a real person,
    and feel that this is their only 'real' outlet - to attack someone who will never see their face.

    Cowardice, by definition.

    If there is a good point to critisice - then fair enough & by all means have your view.

    Sorry guys, I may have inadvertently brought these people to your doorstep &

    corrupted this thread's integrity!

    Please forgive me as a no-nothing newbie.

    I agree with Michael - starve them, they simply do not deserve the attention.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmyBrown
    Craigslist ghosting is effective because people think they're being seen/heard yet aren't. It would be an interesting concept to combat forum spammers/trolls.
    Signature
    "Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast."
    Tom Peters

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    At the same time, there is a way to share differeing points of view. Heck! Smart marketers welcome them.

    Also, when any post is made, it is open to criticism.

    HOWEVER, it is how things are said, or which elements are being criticized that determine how it will be received.

    Another way to put it is that constructive criticism and difference of opinion is not synonymous with negativity. For that matter, it's possible to post a response that AGREES and still have it come across as negative.

    The best answer is from Ghandi (paraphrased) - Be the change you want to see.

    There is no doubt in my mind that we are responsible for making it happen, that it can happen, and that it won't take all that long if we really want it.

    Letting it go is critical. I saw how some were not letting that happen in a certain thread. I kept thinking "just let it go and we can get this thread back on track". BUT, I knew if I said it, that I would be the one adding fuel to that fire.

    Anyway, the WF is still the best forum online, IMHO, but we can make it even better.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723316].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      At the same time, there is a way to share differeing points of view. Heck! Smart marketers welcome them.

      Also, when any post is made, it is open to criticism.

      HOWEVER, it is how things are said, or which elements are being criticized that determine how it will be received.

      Another way to put it is that constructive criticism and difference of opinion is not synonymous with negativity. For that matter, it's possible to post a response that AGREES and still have it come across as negative.

      The best answer is from Ghandi (paraphrased) - Be the change you want to see.

      There is no doubt in my mind that we are responsible for making it happen, that it can happen, and that it won't take all that long if we really want it.

      Letting it go is critical. I saw how some were not letting that happen in a certain thread. I kept thinking "just let it go and we can get this thread back on track". BUT, I knew if I said it, that I would be the one adding fuel to that fire.

      Anyway, the WF is still the best forum online, IMHO, but we can make it even better.

      All the best,
      Michael

      Michael, I gotta say this...you have one of the best attitudes of anybody
      here.

      I don't know how you do it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723324].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author butters
    I feel if you give your opinion in a post, someone will jump over you and put there opinion on you. Then the debate begins and then finally, one of the two will say one word which ticks the other off and then an argument breaks out. Of course this doesn't excuse what they do but I feel this is how it gets started .

    Opinions bring arguments most of the time, some are worse then others, thats all.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AmyBrown
      Originally Posted by butters View Post


      Opinions bring arguments most of the time, some are worse then others, thats all.
      I grew up in a family of lawyers and healthy debate was always encouraged.

      Presenting opinions as fact is what generally causes arguments, not the opinions themselves. Some people can't make the distinction. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, even a strong one, as long as you present it as such.

      A well-crafted argument is a thing of beauty and there are some masters here.
      Signature
      "Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast."
      Tom Peters

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723418].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
        this is why a lot of us like hanging out in the OT more so than other parts of the forum and barely discuss business anymore. Personally, I would rather hang out with all the music lovers in this forum. We have been having lots of fun lately, I must say. Music is such a great escape from ugliness, don't you think?

        I agree with Michael in that we need to support the positive threads more and support those Warriors who are here not just to garner attention, but who actually are positive contributors to the forum.

        Kim, I am glad you brought this topic up and I hope that members will take notice, and hopefully start conducting themselves accordingly. I do believe that the majority of Warriors are great people that's why the bad ones stick out like sore thumbs. Let's not give them any power to ruin this place.

        Signature
        ---------------
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723478].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by Karen Blundell View Post

          this why a lot of us like hanging out in the OT more so that other parts of the forum and barely discuss business anymore. Personally, I would rather hang out with all the music lovers in this forum. We have been having lots of fun lately, I must say. Music is such a great escape from ugliness, don't you think?

          I agree with Michael in that we need to support the positive threads more and support those Warriors who are here not just to garner attention, but who actually are positive contributors to the forum.

          Kim, I am glad you brought this topic up and I hope that members will take notice, and hopefully start conducting themselves accordingly. I do believe that the majority of Warriors are great people that's why the bad ones stick out like sore thumbs. Let's not give them any power to ruin this place.


          Did somebody say music?

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723509].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
          Originally Posted by Karen Blundell View Post

          this why a lot of us like hanging out in the OT more so that other parts of the forum and barely discuss business anymore.
          I hope you didn't just invite the rabble rousers into your sanctuary to disrupt things.
          Signature

          Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723520].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Karen Blundell
            Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

            I hope you didn't just invite the rabble rousers into your sanctuary to disrupt things.
            no way, we'll just turn up the music, Dennis :p
            Signature
            ---------------
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723544].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author butters
        Originally Posted by AmyBrown View Post

        I grew up in a family of lawyers and healthy debate was always encouraged.

        Presenting opinions as fact is what generally causes arguments, not the opinions themselves. Some people can't make the distinction. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, even a strong one, as long as you present it as such.

        A well-crafted argument is a thing of beauty and there are some masters here.
        Totally agree, your way of putting it sounds so much better then mine though :p.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    I think it's best to ignore these people and not give them the attention that they seem to be so desperately craving. I agree that it's not always possible however, and sometimes not always even advisable. As long as your response is professional though rather than giving the impression of 'flinging yourself into the fray' then there's some hope that light will dawn on the offenders and they'll realise that they are metaphorically standing in the shop window of their businesses and not centre stage in an amateur dramatics production.

    Booing and hissing at them only helps turn the whole thing into a pantomime.
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723357].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Too often, the trouble is that people let their emotions do the talking when they disagree.

    You can disagree without being confrontational. It's an attitude thing. Michael Oska is one of the best at disagreeing in an agreeable way. Of course, he's from Wisconsin so he's naturally gifted.

    Steve hit a key point earlier too. Too many people try to build themselves up by tearing someone else down. They get a temporary sense of power, but don't realize they're only multiplying their esteem problems because you can't truly build your self esteem through negativity.

    What some don't realize, is that while they're busy criticizing, they are also building their business image in a negative way. It's self-sabotage.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723434].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Folks, this is not new. It's been going on consistently in electronic forums since before I got my first modem. It's been a recurring theme here since before I joined, and it will be going on long after we're all dead and gone.

      There are tons of reasons for it. Many have been mentioned, many more haven't. The bottom line is simple enough, though:

      There are thousands of active members here. When you have a group with that many humans in it, it's going to happen. There's only so much we can do to prevent it without becoming the kind of control freaks that create other, and worse, types of problems.

      The trick is to try and be aware of the balance.

      All things considered, this place has a lot less of this stuff than most forums that are 1/10 the size. You guys do just fine keeping things going in the right direction as it is.

      There's nothing you can do about how someone else behaves. Just you.

      Quite often, that's enough.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    Have a "toxic thread" button which works a bit like the "report post" button.

    If enough people click it, the thread gets moved to the "toxic threads" section where the slanging match can continue. Those that want to get involved or just spectate know where to find them. The rest of us can get on with learning about making money because you can simply avoid that section.

    I'd like to thank the British government for this one - I pinched their idea of "toxic banks" that hold all the crap while the good stuff thrives elsewhere.

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1723487].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    If you're referring to a particular thread I think *might* have prompted this, all I can say for that is that some humans are just miserable, pathetic beings with nothing better to do than drag someone else down. I think that thread was the most recent example that stands out in my mind, even though I know, unfortunately, there are other instances.

    I think people who hide behind their computer screens with an elitist or just plain nasty attitude have either given up or never bothered trying to make themselves truly happy and just want to bring others down to their level. In real life, of course, they would never have the guts to say half the things they do online.

    If you're TRULY happy with yourself through and through, you won't be trying to make other people miserable. End of story.

    On the flipside, I'm glad that particular nasty one decided to talk in a way, because even if she didn't say anything then, she likely would've made a racket later - AFTER she wasted more of people's time. It sucks when these people make it into the forum, but they're all over the Internet: the only difference is here, we catch them quickly and they're gone for good.

    When a particular thread inspires, moves, educates, or is otherwise enthralling to me as a whole, I'm not going to let it go down in flames. Deal with the trolls swiftly and harshly, then carry on. Appreciate the greatness for what it is.
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1724133].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
      Originally Posted by moneysoapbox View Post


      If you're TRULY happy with yourself through and through, you won't be trying to make other people miserable. End of story.
      Amen sister!

      Okay, I'm old enough to be your dad, but "amen daughter" just doesn't have the same feel.
      Signature

      Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1724541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Hi Kim

    I actually hear from internet marketers that wouldn't even dream of starting a thread as they would be too frightened of the backlash that they would get which is a real shame.

    I just wish it could be stopped so people could have a great experience on here without the hassle.

    Thanks kim for bringing it up

    kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1725014].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Sam,
      I actually hear from internet marketers that wouldn't even dream of starting a thread as they would be too frightened of the backlash that they would get which is a real shame.
      Yes, it is. It's a shame that their fear of a small chance of hearing something unpleasant from a complete stranger keeps them from doing something to advance their goals.

      You say "would," as though it's a certain outcome. It should be "could," and a low probability at that, at least for really new folks. The vast majority of the seriously hostile stuff is directed at people who've been here a while and have track records that justify it.

      Yes, there are some types of comments that shouldn't be made here. For the most part, the "negative" stuff that people worry about is minor and meaningless. If someone can't handle that sort of thing, there's a good chance they don't have what it takes to run an online business anyway.

      So maybe it really isn't a shame, come to think of it. Maybe it's a useful sorting mechanism?


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1728803].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    Admittedly I have called people out when they were spouting opinion as if it were the gospel and could not back it up .

    There has been occasions where I have been wrong and have paid the price .

    The blind leading the blind rarely produces a good outcome for either.

    While I see some post getting too heated and egos leaving the brain behind , there is a big difference in even heated debate and being disrespectful to another member .

    From my line of site , the moderators here usually do a very good juggling act when it comes to leaving the table open to debate and closing it down when the line is crossed .

    Does a member , new or old , that fears a difference of opinion, really have the fortitude to make it in IM ?

    A big dog barking behind the fence of a computer monitor can just bark. If you can back up your points with fact , most dogs will either tuck their tail between their legs and run or at the very least the majority will realize that their bark is just noise and they lose credibility .

    As far as true trolls are concerned , they rear their head for a short time .

    A true warrior will stand their ground . Admittedly ( myself included at times) the tone used could stand some improvement
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1728955].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alan Petersen
      I often wonder the same thing and not just here. Reading comments to YouTube videos are a bit shocking how nasty people online can be. They wouldn't dare say that stuff to someone's face. I debate shutting off comments to my YouTube videos since most are useless and some are just down-right nasty.

      I also think there are a lot of jaded, bitter people trying to make money online and they are failing so their anger and frustrations come out in their posts sometimes. Like a bully who sees everyone enjoying some tasty lemonade so he spits in the bowl so no one else can enjoy it. Makes them feel better somehow.

      As to what can we do? As others have written...report rude/nasty posts so they go poof.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1729375].message }}

Trending Topics