How NOT to land a client (AKA, how to piss off a prospect in 3 seconds flat)

37 replies
I was just looking at Google's local business results for construction companies. Clicked on the first one and noticed someone had written a review and rated them with ONE star. Must be a pretty poor construction company, eh?

Not so fast...

Turns out the person who reviewed them was someone who wanted to design a website. Here's the full "review":

This is a little weak for the advertising potential that Casper's has. I suggest you talk to me about setting up a website sometime. I would be glad to help you out. Although it does list quite a few items that you guys can do - it just needs a little color and flair to it. Take Care,Troy
(You can see it here for yourself, including the low rating: Casper Construction Inc | Grand Rapids, MN | DexKnows.com™ )


Holy crap.

I don't know about you, but I'd never hire anyone who rated my company as one star just as a way to attract attention to their ad. I mean the guy is actually sabotaging his potential client! Wow. Just wow.

I bet you've seen some similar boneheaded moves. Please share 'em.


Cheers,
Becky



THREAD UPDATE: Be sure to read Tsnyder's post #29 for the surprising twist in this story.

LOL!
#aka #client #land #piss #prospect
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    Hi Becky,

    Yeah, that's pretty low.

    Makes me wonder if the "reviewer" was taught that method by an unscrupulous marketer.

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726143].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      Hi Becky,

      Yeah, that's pretty low.

      Makes me wonder if the "reviewer" was taught that method by an unscrupulous marketer.

      All the best,
      Michael
      Isn't that awful?

      The poor construction company only has that one poor rating. I wonder how many people have seen the one star and just skipped over the company, perhaps assuming they're a crappy construction company?

      Low. That's a tame word for this.

      cheers,
      Becky
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726152].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
    How would one even contact Troy?
    Signature

    Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

    Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726153].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

      How would one even contact Troy?
      You mean, with a personal visit from Guido? LOL

      Seriously though, I don't know. Sounds like he's probably been bugging the construction company prior to this, so at least they know how to get a hold of him.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726167].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
        Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

        Seriously though, I don't know. Sounds like he's probably been bugging the construction company prior to this, so at least they know how to get a hold of him.
        Perhaps Troy needs to build himself a website that can be found in the search engines. Maybe something with "a little color and flair to it" too.
        Signature

        Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

        Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    That is pretty stupid, but who knows? Offline biz owners in some industries are total morons about marketing. Maybe this guy has tried this tactic before and it worked. You never know. A desperate owner might see that, not even pay attention to the star rating, and assume the guy knew what he was talking about and wasn't just trolling for business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      That is pretty stupid, but who knows? Offline biz owners in some industries are total morons about marketing. Maybe this guy has tried this tactic before and it worked. You never know. A desperate owner might see that, not even pay attention to the star rating, and assume the guy knew what he was talking about and wasn't just trolling for business.
      Oh man.

      Actually, I wonder if the company has even noticed? If they don't have a website, then they're probably not paying too much attention to what's going on on the web.

      But I bet some of their potential construction customers have seen it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726173].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
        Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

        Oh man.

        Actually, I wonder if the company has even noticed? If they don't have a website, then they're probably not paying too much attention to what's going on on the web.

        But I bet some of their potential construction customers have seen it.
        You can report the review for not meeting their guidelines. I'm betting no one has done that. Maybe one or more of us should do that.

        That might be considered "self-regulation" in IM.
        Signature

        Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

        Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AmyBrown
    Can't wait for that idea to be turned into a WSO

    I'm seeing more and more people try to spam Google reviews with competitor ads too. Although they usually give 5 stars.
    Signature
    "Test fast, fail fast, adjust fast."
    Tom Peters

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by AmyBrown View Post

      Can't wait for that idea to be turned into a WSO
      I'm writing it up right now...



      I'm seeing more and more people try to spam Google reviews with competitor ads too. Although they usually give 5 stars.
      Exactly. The spamming is bad enough -- but to give 1 star? Yikes.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
      Originally Posted by AmyBrown View Post

      Can't wait for that idea to be turned into a WSO
      Don't even joke about that
      Signature

      nothing to see here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hayabna
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726176].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by hayabna View Post

      hi evryone ido not understsnd
      Oh! You will!

      Very soon, I'm guessing.



      ~M~
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726199].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    P.S. I think I'll start using this tactic...

    -- Go to Amazon and give authors poor ratings for their books. In my review, I'll tell them their book is ok, but it would be better if they let me create a website for them next time.

    -- Go to TripAdvisor.com, give a local hotel one star and tell them to hire me.

    And so on.

    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726180].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      P.S. I think I'll start using this tactic...

      -- Go to Amazon and give authors poor ratings for their books. In my review, I'll tell them their book is ok, but it would be better if they let me create a website for them next time.

      Becky
      Becky,

      Don't leave money on the table!

      Tell them next time you'll create a website AND write the book!

      Martin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727025].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    Becky, you make an interesting point about the company never even seeing it. Perhaps Troy knows this and was really playing to the broader market who would think to look at such things at Google. Competitors of the company he bashed. Hmm.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Well that's certainly another interesting possibility, John. Inquiring minds want to know Troy's true motivation.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726211].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
        Just did a search and this appears to be the only listing Troy left such a "review" on. Either that, or all his other "reviews" were removed.
        Signature

        Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

        Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726227].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lisa Gergets
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      Becky, you make an interesting point about the company never even seeing it. Perhaps Troy knows this and was really playing to the broader market who would think to look at such things at Google. Competitors of the company he bashed. Hmm.
      Or, perhaps he's just stoopid. :p


      I know, I know...don't say it...
      Signature
      Sign up to be notified when Success on Demand goes live, and receive a FREE mindmap that you can follow to create and launch your OWN IM PRODUCTS!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    I clicked the "not helpful" button for starters on that review. Now I need to figure out how to report it.

    ***

    Stoopid -- and there's yet another possibility. Especially since he rated 'em one star (which reduces the chance of Casper giving him business)... and yet he didn't put his contact info in so other people could contact him. (Though I wouldn't contact a sabotaging spammer.)

    Or maybe he was drunk when he posted.

    Cheers,
    Becky
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      I clicked the "not helpful" button for starters on that review. Now I need to figure out how to report it.
      You click the option to write a review, then follow the link to review their guidelines. At the bottom of the guidelines is an eMail link where you can report reviews that don't adhere to their guidelines.
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726716].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
        Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

        You click the option to write a review, then follow the link to review their guidelines. At the bottom of the guidelines is an eMail link where you can report reviews that don't adhere to their guidelines.
        That was well hidden. Thanks -- I just reported this non-review.


        ***

        So, does anyone else have examples of stupid marketer tricks that piss off the prospect?

        Cheers,
        Becky
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726810].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
          Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

          That was well hidden. Thanks -- I just reported this non-review.
          Very intuitive, wasn't it? :rolleyes:
          Signature

          Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

          Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726839].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
          Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

          So, does anyone else have examples of stupid marketer tricks that piss off the prospect?
          Starting out with a lie. Around here, we get a lot of telemarketer calls from people claiming "You recently requested info on..." and then they proceed to try to sell us stuff we know we never requested info on.
          Signature

          Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

          Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726850].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
            Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

            Starting out with a lie. Around here, we get a lot of telemarketer calls from people claiming "You recently requested info on..." and then they proceed to try to sell us stuff we know we never requested info on.

            Good one. An instant way to bring one's credibility down to a very low level.

            That reminds of the email "newsletters" (AKA spam) I get where they start off telling me I requested their info. Except I didn't because I think my manhood is just fine the way it is.

            cheers,
            Becky
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sts2k
    That is pretty low and as a web developer I would never do that. In fact, I wouldn't even rate it 5 star or any stars because I did not do business with that company. This is borderline spamming in my opinion.
    Signature

    PM me if you are interested in working with a skilled development team.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726845].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
      Originally Posted by sts2k View Post

      This is borderline spamming in my opinion.
      I'd agree, except I'd remove the word "borderline" from your statement.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cypherslock
    It is stuff like the above that made me decide to get out of web design. I can still do it but with that it just doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather write. Pretty low and doesn't help the rest of us marketers that try to make an honest living.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726900].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kswr123
    Hmm. I had a DUMB one suggested once. Hack into their blog to show them that they need to update security. I guees it proves a point, but not the best way to start a meeting:

    "I hold all your databases, and all your customer information and online accounts. Money please."

    Its kinda blackmail...
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726938].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tsnyder
    OK... this is too funny...

    I went to the listing, got the phone number and gave
    them a call to let them know what's going on... because
    guys like Troy piss me off... lol

    Anyway... here's the funny part... Troy is a brother of one
    of the owners!!!!! He's currently working on a website for them.

    Lance... the partner I spoke with (Troy's brother) thinks Troy
    was probably fooling around and thought it would be funny.

    When I explained the possible consequences of the one star
    rating Lance was not amused... LOL... said he'd call Troy and
    kick his butt... lol

    Anyway... chalk up another win for the good guys!

    Tsnyder
    Signature
    If you knew what I know you'd be doing what I do...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    Mubarak, that's like throwing a brick through someone's window, where the brick has a flyer attached: "Do you have broken windows that need repair?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726962].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kswr123
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      Mubarak, that's like throwing a brick through someone's window, where the brick has a flyer attached: "Do you have broken windows that need repair?"
      Exactly. Hey guys:

      Let's drop a LOAD of flyers all over someone lawn. The flyers should say "Do you need your garden trash picked up?"

      LOL - I could be ad thbis all day

      Write it in dog foul on their car: "WE Clean cars for $10!"
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R Hagel
    Tsnyder -- wow!

    I'm almost speechless (almost).

    So Troy was on THEIR side. With friends (and brothers) like these, who needs enemies?

    lol
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726969].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by R Hagel View Post

      So Troy was on THEIR side. With friends (and brothers) like these, who needs enemies?
      This thread now qualifies as an instant classic.
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1726983].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Threads like this are frustrating. I had something to say, then as I kept reading someone had already said it. Then something else came to mind, then someone else said something similar. Toward the end one more thing came to mind, then Tsnyder blows the whole thread up with his revelation and makes my potential comment irrelevant. So now I have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add to this thread, but thanks for listening.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727101].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr. Enthusiastic
    Just look at all the attention that Troy brought to the business! If I needed construction services in Grand Rapids, I'd call Casper first... out of sympathy for Lance.

    Thanks for finding out the real story, Terry.

    And thanks for the education about how to report bad reviews to Google.

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Actually I really do have something to add. When I created my first ebook I had a guy email me thanking me for it. The trouble is, he never bought it. He scavenged my website and wanted to blackmail into paying him to tell me how he did it.

    Of course, I wasn't about to pay him for stealing my first product, so I figured out how to steal it myself and then battened down the hatches. If he'd have just wrote and explained that my ebook was not secure and offered to teach me how to secure it, I might have paid him. But to steal and try to blackmail me, no way.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727112].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kswr123
      Originally Posted by Dennis Gaskill View Post

      Actually I really do have something to add. When I created my first ebook I had a guy email me thanking me for it. The trouble is, he never bought it. He scavenged my website and wanted to blackmail into paying him to tell me how he did it.

      Of course, I wasn't about to pay him for stealing my first product, so I figured out how to steal it myself and then battened down the hatches. If he'd have just wrote and explained that my ebook was not secure and offered to teach me how to secure it, I might have paid him. But to steal and try to blackmail me, no way.

      Teehee!

      I still do that - (ETHICALLY, though) - after buying a WSO I sometimes try to hack it afterwards - just to make sure that the seller dont lose any sales $$ - I tell them, of course, for free

      Most of the time they try to give you some $$$ or a free WSO or something
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1727124].message }}

Trending Topics