How Serious Are You...REALLY?

74 replies
This question may not go down very well with a lot of people here, but
whatever.

So tell me, how serious are you...REALLY?

How many say...

"I'll start working on that new site tomorrow"

and never get to it?

How many write to a marketer saying...

"I'm interested in your coaching program...yeah, sounds good...I'll get back
to you in a couple of days"

and never do?

How many say...

"I'll start creating my first product tomorrow..."

and never get to it?

How many of you...

Actually start working with a coach and then just disappear...never to
be seen again and never to do anything with your business?

I could keep going but I think you got the point.

I know for a fact that way too many people say things and then never
do them because they say them to me and then that's the last thing I
hear.

I think it's time for a few folks to take a good long hard look in the mirror
and ask themselves...

"Am I REALLY serious about this?"

I'm not joking about this. Because if you're not serious about your business,
do yourself a favor and find something else to do with your lives.

It's one thing to try and fail and keep going at it. I have a lot of respect
for people who try to better themselves.

But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
going to do and never do them.

There is just no excuse for that.

I hope you have both eyes open when you look in that mirror.

You're going to need them.
#serious #youreally
  • Profile picture of the author TKO
    Funny post Steven....

    "But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
    going to do and never do them."

    Didn't you say you were never going to start a thread again.

    Practice what you preach Messiah.LOL
    Signature

    Everything you ought to know about kids soccer can be found in this little community...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737374].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author scrofford
      Originally Posted by TKO View Post

      Funny post Steven....

      "But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
      going to do and never do them."

      Didn't you say you were never going to start a thread again.

      Practice what you preach Messiah.LOL
      Maybe he changed his mind? I think people are allowed to do that. At least where I live.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737418].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
      Originally Posted by TKO View Post

      Funny post Steven....

      "But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
      going to do and never do them."

      Didn't you say you were never going to start a thread again.

      Practice what you preach Messiah.LOL
      What, YOU'VE never changed your mind? I change my mind all the time. He changed his mind. Get over it. You're still thinking about things Steven said a year ago?

      Anyway to the topic, I think a lot of ppl see commercials on TV or those sales letters on websites and think it's easy money. Just buy a program and have your personal automatic money machine. But once they realize how much work it takes and they might not make money for a while, they quit. And some should quit, cause they aren't serious.

      As for being a procrastinator, I'm guilty of that. I'm gonna do this and this and that today. Oop, didn't do it. Maybe tomorrow. Oh wait, I can't tomorrow. Maybe the next day. :p
      Signature

      siggy taking a break...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737435].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by TKO View Post

      Funny post Steven....

      "But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
      going to do and never do them."

      Didn't you say you were never going to start a thread again.

      Practice what you preach Messiah.LOL
      Wow, I often havent agreed with Steven, but this seems to be some obvious hostility going on.
      I know the Guy can write some controversial stuff but he has positively contributed to the Warrior Forum probably as much as anyone !!

      Take the fight outside, kiddies !!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738222].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GarryMSayer
    Are you having a bad day Steven?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737376].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by GarryMSayer View Post

      Are you having a bad day Steven?
      Actually, I'm having a great day. I'm just telling it like it is and asking people
      to look in the mirror and ask themselves honestly if they're serious about
      running their business.

      Nothing more and nothing less.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737421].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GarryMSayer
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Actually, I'm having a great day. I'm just telling it like it is and asking people
        to look in the mirror and ask themselves honestly if they're serious about
        running their business.

        Nothing more and nothing less.
        Fair enough - picked up the wrong vibes there.

        I think the main problem is a lot of people don't see IM as a long-term and sustainable business but consider it purely as a money making venture.

        Something to allow them to pay the inflated mobile phone (cellphone) bill, buy the odd treat like a meal in an expensive restaurant or a weekend away in a luxury hotel.

        If they can't see instant gratification (i.e. a ton of money in their paypal/clickbank account) on a regular basis then the concept of an online business is alien to them.

        Garry.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737550].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tasso Pepi
    Great Post Steven...

    It is so true that to succeed online or just to succeed in anything you have to have the drive and discipline...

    Look at all the great olympic athletes they have to train day in day out to be a champion and their big day comes once in 4 years....

    Imagine if IM had to wait 4 years for a pay day.. I don't know how many of us (including myself) would have the drive to keep going...

    But a champion IM'er would work out goals and steps to make that once in every 4 years count and not look at it and go "oooh thats too hard"
    or
    "i can't do that"

    Mindset and accountablility I have found are crucial components to success..

    Write out your goals...
    Start at your utimate goal and work backwards.. so you know where you want to be and then you will see how you need to get there...
    Then stick it on your mirror so you can see everyday the actions you need to do, to achieve you goal...

    Great post Steven..

    Tas
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737379].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
    It is important to do things RIGHT NOW or else you won't make money. PERIOD

    and i say that from personal experience.
    Signature

    “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737387].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bsmith2
    Wow that was brutal, but 1000% correct. Way to say what your thinking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737390].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TKO
      Just to let warriors know, Steve has given me an infraction for speaking the truth.

      Steve himself said some time ago, he was never going to start a thread again. I was replying to his thread with the truth and with my opinion.

      If only I could find that thread........

      If you call harasment, telling the truth, then Steven, guilty as charged.

      Regards Thomas.

      P.S Please reverse the infraction, I apologise for telling the truth.
      Signature

      Everything you ought to know about kids soccer can be found in this little community...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737409].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author scrofford
        Originally Posted by TKO View Post

        Just to let warriors know, Steve has given me an infraction for speaking the truth.

        Steve himself said some time ago, he was never going to start a thread again. I was replying to his thread with the truth and with my opinion.

        If only I could find that thread........

        If you call harasment, telling the truth, then Steven, guilty as charged.

        Regards Thomas.

        P.S Please reverse the infraction, I apologise for telling the truth.
        You know, I for one benefit from Steve's posts. Whether he changed his mind about starting a thread or whatever...it doesn't matter. You should have gotten that infraction! This thread benefits other Warriors and you came in starting trouble. I could care less what Steve said he wasn't or was going to do! I am glad he posted this thread because it was a benefit to me. That is what the Warrior Forum is about. Not to play tit for tat and cause problems!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737424].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TKO
          Well said Steve.

          Once again I apologise for telling the truth.

          Sometimes people need to practice what they preach. Since you've been a warrior for a short time, you probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

          Have a great day.
          Signature

          Everything you ought to know about kids soccer can be found in this little community...

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737436].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TKO
            Valerie, I change my mind all the time. The only diffrenece is, I don't preach to the masses and contradict myself when it suits me to make a buck.
            Signature

            Everything you ought to know about kids soccer can be found in this little community...

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737450].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Gary Smith
              I'm one of the 10% this year (or the 3% if you want to break it down further). Steven provided the catalyst for my huge change back in August. I don't know... perhaps the time was just right when I read the sentence 'make a decision' in one of his e-books. That started an unforgettable journey of self examination and personal development.

              I'm 46 years old and here are some of the facts:

              * I've had a small (IT consulting) business which started 15 years ago with 2 other partners. The last of the partners left 10 years ago and I neglected the business and lamented that it wasn't making a profit - yet I changed nothing for 10 years! This year we are making changes and we have goals .. 1 year, 5 year and 10 year... and I'm totally confident that we will achieve those goals.

              * In the 26 years that I've been in the workforce I didn't even entertain for a second, the thought that I could ever be successful, wealthy or have anything but an ordinary lifestyle. I totally no-valued myself even though I have been programming for 30 years, using the internet for 20 years and set up my local ISP business 15 years ago (built and configured servers, wrote the billing system,configured satellite and ISDN data pipes etc). How wrong I was - I'm a veteran for goodness sakes!

              * In the 5 years that I've been working from home I've retained my 'wage earner' mentality and have struggled like the average wage earner... even when I was presented with some really good opportunities. Like Jim Rohn said - wages make you a living... profits make you a fortune!

              The second catalyst was the Jim Rohn audios I purchased. I have his complete set of audios, DVDs and books arriving next week . That man was a giant. Everything he said was about getting the basics right. No flag waving, no crystals and no pyramids... just a lifetime of learning, looking and striving to make the most of our relatively short time on this planet.

              Seriously folks, if you really do want to be successful and you've never looked at personal development then do it this year. It aint just analogies and funky quotes!
              Signature

              Gary Smith

              PHP Developer and aging geek

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739656].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
                Steve,

                When I used to do a lot of coaching I learned very quickly that many people treated the whole IM thing as a hobby. Let's face it, the barriers to entry are extremely low. Some really creative people are earning $$$ without ever having to put up their own website and using SEO and SEM strategies.

                It's really easy to get started. But for long-term business success, it takes a whole different mindset and one of the variables is to take one's business VERY seriously. Now that doesn't mean you can't have some fun while doing it. I listen to really loud music sometimes while I'm working. I take a lot of breaks during my day (or night when I work the wee hours because I was sleeping in until 2pm ).

                Like the old saying goes, treat your business like a business and not a hobby - good things will start happening as a result of it.

                RoD
                Signature
                "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
                - Jim Rohn
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739760].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
                  Originally Posted by Rod Cortez View Post

                  ....treat your business like a business and not a hobby - good things will start happening as a result of it.
                  High five dude!
                  Signature

                  BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739800].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
                  First thing, I know of NO one who has worked harder than Steven W. to obtain his success (some would say far too hard, but that is just one opinion)...and few have contributed as much to the WF as Steven has done.

                  His post can be a motivator, and for a few of you it was the hammer on your stubborn head...for others, it evoked some anger, some emotional response.

                  And it brought out some experts, like Dr. Mani, B. Kumar, Paul Myers and others.

                  My experience on the net has mirrored what Dr. Mani has posted, that as much as 80% of respondents to a "business building" offer are actually more interested in a money making offer. Since I've been in the Biz-Op field for longer than most of you have been around, my position is this:

                  Give em what they want.

                  Dr. Mani's question about building a business vs. making money is what I call the "Pachinko Binary Matrix"...where each answer leads to as different path.

                  NO, I don't want to build a business, I just want to make some money NOW...would lead them down the path of making money, and I would offer one of my money making reports, such as The Chattel Report. And if was not their cup of tea, then I'd ask another YES/NO question which would reveal more about them, and what they were looking for.

                  IF I didn't have the product, I'd consider a ClickBank or other affiliate product which might satisfy their wants.

                  YES, I want to build a business, something that will last my lifetime and can be passed on to my estate...then there is a different path. They have to have an understanding of HOW to do this and in realistic terms, presented by people who have done it and have the information on HOW to do it.

                  No matter how someone "finds" you, it is a good idea to have a system in place which can accomodate their rebound from the contact, that is, a way to get to know more of what they want. IF they just want a money making deal, there are 1001 ways for that want to be satisfied, and if they want to build a business OR something in between, why not be the person who can supply their demand?

                  Steven W. posted some advice which struck a nerve with some people, and the thread can have great value to YOU, if you understand the whole stimulus/response model, on which much of business and money making ops are based.

                  Thank you Steven for your post. It is right on. And thanks to the pros and successful people who have taken time to respond. I learned something new. Always appreciative when that happens.

                  gjabiz
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740368].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                    Dammit, Gordon, will you stop making sense?!

                    You've been doing that waaaay too long.
                    Signature
                    .
                    Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740381].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
                    I just want to add this for the people who differentiated between building
                    a business and just making some money, which in fact is dead on.

                    Even people who just want to make a few bucks by cranking out that
                    Bum Marketing manual and writing a few articles pointing to some affiliate
                    products...how serious are you about that?

                    Are you writing 3 or 4 articles a day, or writing 3 or 4 a month?

                    There are many levels to seriousness.

                    I could take Bum Marketing to a very serious level, even though it's not
                    a full business model in any sense of the word. But still, if that's what you're
                    going to do...do it right.

                    If you expect to write 7 articles in 7 months and make even just a couple
                    hundred a month, you're going to be in for a big disappointment.

                    Even casual money making endeavors (and believe me, I do them too)
                    take a level of commitment.

                    How serious are you about that commitment?

                    So in fact, my OP applies to people looking to run a business and people
                    looking to make some money.

                    Both require a certain level of commitment.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740394].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
                TKO,
                Just to let warriors know, Steve has given me an infraction for speaking the truth.
                Yep. And I've given you a couple weeks off for being a jerk.

                If you were held to every word you ever spoke, you'd be handcuffed for life. Some people learn and adjust. Some play dumb games. Which do you want to be in the future, Che?


                Paul
                Signature
                .
                Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740298].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
              Originally Posted by Marc Rodill View Post

              P.S. You've been infractionated.
              Why, because TKO given his opinion and you disagreed with it?

              Steve given his opinion (and it's an opinion I 100% agree with), and TKO given his. I disagree with TKO, but I don't see why you'd "infraction" someone over it.
              Signature
              Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739855].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author scrofford
            Originally Posted by TKO View Post

            Well said Steve.

            Once again I apologise for telling the truth.

            Sometimes people need to practice what they preach. Since you've been a warrior for a short time, you probably don't even know what I'm talking about.

            Have a great day.
            I don't need to know what you are talking about. What I do know is that this thread is benefiting a lot of people and that is what is important.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737456].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
        Originally Posted by TKO View Post

        Just to let warriors know, Steve has given me an infraction for speaking the truth.

        Steve himself said some time ago, he was never going to start a thread again. I was replying to his thread with the truth and with my opinion.

        If only I could find that thread........

        If you call harasment, telling the truth, then Steven, guilty as charged.

        Regards Thomas.

        P.S Please reverse the infraction, I apologise for telling the truth.
        Hi Thomas - apparently there is some history between you and Steve that many of us are not aware, but to be honest with you, I don't blame him for giving you an infraction in this case. Steve made a post that could be beneficial to others and you show up contributing nothing toward the topic, only criticizing Steve for changing his mind, and you top it off by calling him Messiah. That's not helpful to anyone. If you don't like Steve that's your business, but I think you're hurting yourself more than Steve with your hostility. History is often best left as history instead of using it to recreate hostilities over and over. Thanks.
        Signature

        Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737652].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by TKO View Post

        Just to let warriors know, Steve has given me an infraction for speaking the truth.
        Steve may feel, as I do, that it is inappropriate to drag what was said in one thread into another thread. Especially if the threads are separated by more than a few days' time.

        I don't know that I consider it worthy of an infraction, but member moderation does have its ideosyncrasies.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739882].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cringwall
      You don't have to be Super Internet Marketing Person 24/7 to be a success. Your success is measured by your goals and expectations for yourself. Many of my clients 'dabble' in online ventures - they make a bit of money and derive enjoyment from their efforts. I see nothing wrong with that.

      I get weary of IM bloggers that preach about giving up the day job - not everyone works that way. There are corner newspaper vendors, and there is Barnes & Noble - both have their place.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author l23bc
    Its like a old saying we have here in here when someone says " i throught about it and"...well you know what throught did it never pulled a muck cart to a horse,

    the one that really gets me is when you have offline clients that say i'll be back in touch and they never call back, but its another point if you are serious about starting something thst could change your life in some ways then why so serious to say ill do it later,

    great post steven
    Signature

    No Link here or Nothing to Promote Just a Old Happy Warrior User reading Topics

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737399].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marilee Pham
      I struggled with this before, due to low self confidence and many limiting beliefs. However after a great weekend, I realise that all those thoughts were simply stories i created and that my life really is a blank canvas for me to create.

      I spent 5 years getting my commerce/law degree and I know that if i apply that same drive and discipline to this field I can earn enough residual income to get me out of my corporate job which i start on Monday (eek!)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Aragon
    "I think it's time for a few folks to take a good long hard look in the mirror
    and ask themselves...

    "Am I REALLY serious about this?""

    great question! or what if it was flipped around to "what am I really serious about?"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737440].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Emily Meeks
    Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

    But I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who say things that they're
    going to do and never do them.
    I'll be the first to admit the ugly truth: there have been times in my life where I was apathetic (all the time), did not do my best, and even though I always made high grades, I could've applied myself a lot more.

    I'd been lazy and took the easy route, but later realized I'd been cheating myself the whole time. I also knew, at least unconsciously, I was better than that. I described myself as ambitious at 10 years old and worked on all kinds of projects, like full-length chapter novels from start to finish. I wouldn't publish any of them, but the fact I had that drive at a young age is something to account for. Over time I slacked off... and slacked off for years... then I woke up.

    There's always something "easier" to do. There's always challenges ahead, and sometimes you won't feel like doing a damn thing.

    However, reality is determined by the choices you make.

    When I realized that, I got off my ass. It hasn't been easy by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't give up. I'm not at the million-dollars-on-autopilot stage (yet), but I never once considered giving up.

    There's a huge difference between reading about something, and actually getting things done.

    I'm serious now. Apathy is the devil, so I killed it a long time ago. I have a vision for my life ahead of me and I will achieve it.

    Now I have to go. I have to get off the Warrior Forum to work on a new WSO.
    Signature

    In all that you do, know your True INTENT...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    Steven, you know I have a lot of time for you dude, and this thread is reason why.

    Im not even going to answer your question about "how serious I am" ...does cancer sound familiar?

    Have a good one Steve, see you at the top!
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zoobie
    Well thanks for the post. One should responsible for their own success...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GavinLively
    Banned
    Good post Steven

    Gavin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737788].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Spiritjoy
    Actually what Steve has said does not only apply to this business but also offline businesses..relationships..etc. Often we do not give 100% As it says in the Bible book of Relevations " Be either Hot or Cold for me..if you are lukewarm i spit you out of my mouth" That was a strong message for the church but it also pertains to all walks of life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkAse
    Very true....I am extremely serious right now. I have daily, weekly and monthly goals to hit as far as links and relationships built.
    Signature

    My current project, the Uncorked Ventures Wine Club. More coming soon, here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1737847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeff Henshaw
      IMHO, Steven's opening post should be the standard 'up front' inclusion, or even a prologue, to all reports, ebooks or courses in whatever form, that are aimed at the budding Internet marketer.

      Let's be fair, the post rings true and if we look inside of ourselves, the same or similar 'issues' occur in other areas of our lives and indeed throughout our entire lives. On or off line.

      Just my thoughts,

      Jeff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738038].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rod Cortez
    I am VERY serious about grinding my own beans and making a whole new batch of French Roast for my 144 oz coffee mug that has Megan Fox's pic on it (her thumb hidden of course......lol).

    RoD
    Signature
    "Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out."
    - Jim Rohn
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author drmani
      Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

      How many say...
      "I'll start working on that new site tomorrow"
      and never get to it?
      ...
      I'm not joking about this. Because if you're not serious about your business,
      do yourself a favor and find something else to do with your lives.
      Originally Posted by GarryMSayer View Post

      I think the main problem is a lot of people don't see IM as a long-term sustainable business but consider it purely as a money making venture.

      Something to allow them to pay the inflated mobile phone (cellphone) bill, buy the odd treat like a meal in an expensive restaurant or a weekend away in a luxury hotel.

      If they can't see instant gratification (i.e. a ton of money in their paypal/clickbank account) on a regular basis then the concept of an online business is alien to them.

      Garry.

      After opting in to my list, subscribers are asked 2 "Yes/No" questions. The first is:

      1. Are you looking for information to build a business on the Internet
      (knowing that it might take a few years)? ... Or are you more interested in a
      business opportunity which can make you some cash quickly,
      within a few weeks?

      I've received 302 responses thus far.

      207 answered YES to "Business Opportunity"



      All success
      Dr.Mani
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738156].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
        Originally Posted by drmani View Post

        I've received 302 responses thus far.

        207 answered YES to "Business Opportunity"
        Please, Dr. Mani, don't tell me you were surprized by that result :p
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738236].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr. Enthusiastic
    Steven, I see a few reasons why someone might make the kind of promises that rub you the wrong way.

    They might not want to admit that they don't know what they're doing. Instead of asking for a map, they insist they'll take the journey tomorrow. But tomorrow they still don't have a map.

    They might have a map, but lack the resources. Maybe there's no gas in the car. Sure, we'll drive off tomorrow, but if there's no stop by the gas station tomorrow there's no journey tomorrow either. The "gas" might be money, teamwork, skills, software, or some other real prerequisite.

    The might have a map and the physical resources, but lack the intangible resources of self-confidence. There could be an emotional "hook" that they don't deserve success, or can't risk failure; aren't good enough to win, or would lose if they did win. There might be depression, hopelessness, anger, or some other unresolved issue.

    Finally, they might have all the tools including the internal gumption... but really, they don't care. The vision of the outcome is fuzzy and far off. Or maybe they clearly see the destination, but it's really not important to get there. Realistically, the work involved would not be worth the payoff for their current value system. But if they said that, they'd lose something to chat about and feel like they aren't just spinning their wheels.

    The way to break any of these impasses is always the same: more honesty about the current situation.

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikemcmillan
    Steven, first, I'd like to add a little addendum to your "How Serious Are You?" thought. That addendum comes in the form of the word "sacrifice".

    There are thousands of people coming to this forum, some well intentioned, some not so much so--who are looking for instant, push-button profits using some etherial, no-work system that alchemizes money out of thin air.

    I'm sure there are people who say, if Steven W. can make a six-figure income from doing this stuff, so can I. And they are probably right. The question is, though, are they willing to make the sacrifices to do that--and the answer to that question is most likely no!

    I have read posts where you have talked about the 14 hour days promoting tons of affiliate products, writing articles, etc. That's what I mean by sacrifice. And that is exactly what most people are unwilling to do to achieve success in online marketing.

    What are you willing to sacrifice in order to make money online? Time away from your family? Time away from the clubs or bars? Time away from the television? Time away from the recliner with a six pack and bag of Cheetos? If one doesn't know the meaning of the word "sacrifice" they will never reach the top of any endeavor. What are you willing to sacrifice to make your dreams come true?

    The best in any field understand the meaning of sacrifice. Without it there can be no success--trust me. --Mike
    Signature

    I'll help you create a reputation-building evergreen product in any niche and launch it successfully!
    Check it out here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
    Great Post Steven,

    I appreciate the reminder that only through focus and consistent action do you get results. This is going into my Google Docs reminder folder.

    Whenever I start slacking off, I jump into the folder and read through some of my favorite posts. I have posts from Bryan Kumar, Jeremy Kelsall, Allen Says, and now a great one from you.


    (TKO, I actually found your post humorous. I thought you were just poking Steven in the ribs. I'll bet if your reply had been down about 10 replies further no one would have thought anything about it.)
    Signature
    Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SunnySahu
    Great post, Steven.

    It's unfortunate that (as Dr. Mani pointed out) many people are looking for a quick income opportunity on the Internet rather than building a solid business which drive results in the future too.
    Signature

    Difference between 'Try' and 'Triumph' is just that little... 'umph'.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738300].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738532].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
    If I say I'll get something done by a set time or date, it'll be done.

    Sometimes I'll 'slack' a bit more if it's something I really don't enjoy, although if it's something I do enjoying (web development, programming, hosting, etc) then I'll probably get it done ASAP and in some cases quicker than I thought I would.

    But yeah, I don't understand people who always miss their deadlines.

    If it's because they don't enjoy what they are doing (which is understandable; certain aspects of IM aren't for me, as I've learnt with experience), they should change their approach, IMO.
    Signature
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
    Steven,

    Sometimes I disagree with you but this. this is awesome.

    One thing is people actually are wasting their time by talking instead of doing.

    I think an incredible thing is that people look for the easy way out when in business there is not one I noticed I started focusing on one site neglecting my other sites so I started doing things in increments each day and now sales are going again.

    It is amazing what can happen when you begin to take your focus and attention off of something or try and do too many things at once. a lot of people they just get overwhelmed they have good intentions but lack the oomph to get up and get er done. This post was well needed thanks for making it
    -WD
    Signature

    "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
    Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author King Shiloh
    Banned
    Unfortunately or fortunately, there are only two days that I know about:

    1. Yesterday.

    2. Today.

    Tomorrow is not a day. It is just another time for a lazy man or procrastinator and it may never come.

    What you couldn't do yesterday and you can't do today, forget it because there is no way you can convince me that you can do it tomorrow.

    The future is now! So, DO IT NOW!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary McLean
    I think Steven has a great point here & I'd like to add my two bob's worth to the discussion.

    I think a lot of people coming online for the first time have a misplaced pre-conception of the "romance' of this new era, which in some respects is similar to the wild west & gold rush eras.

    I see them as tourists disembarking from a cruise ship in port for a bargain shopping spree.

    They burst forth on the local "stall holders" with unbridled enthusiasm, their heads full of visions of splendor & of course end up haggling & buying the mandatory "coconut shell bra top & grass skirt".

    They gleefully saunter back to the ship for the Hawaiian night on board...knowing quite well they will never wear that gear again...but, what a wonderful experience they had buying it...imagining what it would be like...ahmmmnnn!

    Some reports I've read indicate about 75% + of people at any given time online (in this field) are such tourists seeking an experience!

    Most will buy the "coconut shell bra top & grass skirt", think about it for a day or two with fond memories & then pop it under the bed, where it collects cyber dust!

    But all the time they are gaining an experience, more education & who knows, one day, some may dust off their gear & go for it when their time is right.

    Sadly, most are not cut out for it & quit, others will be continual tourists, cruising from port to port, ever hopeful!

    It is a jungle, a relativity new one with no well known, clearly defined paths yet...it is a bold new frontier, suitable for true pioneers to pave the ways.

    The Steven's of the world, Please do so & let us settlers come in and create settlements & villages within.

    Kindest,
    Poppie
    Signature
    Newbie Starting Out?
    Get Free Weekly Lessons Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dsmpublishing
    Hi Steven

    im right with you on this one - when i starting mentoring people a while back i could always tell which ones were the serious ones.

    Kind regards


    sam
    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738774].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Liam Hamer
      Great post Steven, you are one of many Warriors I really look up to here, and you're right on the money

      I've had to ask myself this question myself recently, and the answer is that I am serious, but perhaps not serious enough. I think some of this boils down to the fact that how much I 'want it' seems to fluctuate. Some days, I want it so bad that I don't think about anything else, and I spend hours on end working. Other days, I'll do a couple of hours work and think to myself 'well, at least I did something'.

      Last night, I clicked a fellow Warrior's signature(Casey Gentles), and on his blog it shines through just how much he really wants it, and he is prepared to work his behind off to get it. I forget the figures(he is documenting his earnings to reach a set target) but he is making something like $5k per month or so by doing a lot of the same things that I am. The big difference is, he is doing a LOT more of it.

      I really want to have a consistently successful online business, but at times I get too comfortable(in terms of my home and surroundings) and downright lazy. We get what we want out of life by making sacrifices and working for it. I have been coming to the realization that I just haven't been doing enough recently, and it's simply because(as Steven correctly says) I haven't been serious enough. It's all going to change though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738885].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WD Mino
        Originally Posted by Liam Hamer View Post

        Great post Steven, you are one of many Warriors I really look up to here, and you're right on the money

        I've had to ask myself this question myself recently, and the answer is that I am serious, but perhaps not serious enough. I think some of this boils down to the fact that how much I 'want it' seems to fluctuate. Some days, I want it so bad that I don't think about anything else, and I spend hours on end working. Other days, I'll do a couple of hours work and think to myself 'well, at least I did something'.

        Last night, I clicked a fellow Warrior's signature(Casey Gentles), and on his blog it shines through just how much he really wants it, and he is prepared to work his behind off to get it. I forget the figures(he is documenting his earnings to reach a set target) but he is making something like $5k per month or so by doing a lot of the same things that I am. The big difference is, he is doing a LOT more of it.

        I really want to have a consistently successful online business, but at times I get too comfortable(in terms of my home and surroundings) and downright lazy. We get what we want out of life by making sacrifices and working for it. I have been coming to the realization that I just haven't been doing enough recently, and it's simply because(as Steven correctly says) I haven't been serious enough. It's all going to change though.
        You Will make it Liam!
        -WD
        Signature

        "As a man thinks in his heart so is he-Proverbs 23:7"
        Coming Soon http://graphicsdon.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738941].message }}
  • Hey... Steven was just giving us 'food for thought' some will eat and swallow and some will spit it out... one way or another it still leaves a taste in your month good bad or in different ...job done... thanks Steve
    Signature
    FREE => How Infiltrate and Get TARGETED LASER Traffic
    Rapatacsystem.xyz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1738960].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikeduff
      Banned
      Nice post !

      Thanks for sharing your experience !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739119].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739637].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    "Infractionated" ....nice
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sylvia Meier
    Steven,
    Excellent post. I find myself too often going tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. This year I decided no more. And you know what, my income is starting to show that.

    If I get an idea, I implement it. If I can't implement it, I pass it along to someone I know can. (Have had a few aha moments over softwares etc the last little bit, and simply passed them onto those who I know create software for a living.)

    I have also taken the plunge and actually put up a few "test" sites on some ideas I had floating around, and they are showing off nicely, to the point someone else mentioned I should create a product about it because the numbers are off the chart. The worst/best thing about this one, I've had this idea for about a year...a year. Imagine if I had taken the plunge when I first thought about it!

    Anywho... I think too often (as Dr.Mani's post confirms) people come online for "business" but never really look at it as a business, and are always looking for the next best thing, only to lose out on all the best things they have at hand and could've already implemented.

    So for your question, are you serious? HELL YA. Now back to work LOL.

    Sylvia
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1739979].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petelta
    Once again, a solid post delivered by Steven. I was once in the boat of the not so serious...but thought I was. Taking small steps everyday, but deep inside I knew it was going to take more work then I was putting out to make it the point I wanted to be.

    One day, it all just clicked for me though. I finally decided to take the necessary action even if it meant a 12 hour work day. It's paid off tremendously and I'm able to relax a little bit more then before.

    You can't do this without really pushing yourself. Very few people get it handed to them.

    Travis
    Signature
    TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
    Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740014].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bryan Kumar
    Having a strong enough "reason why" is also important.

    (Bonus tip: All those copywriting tricks and levers you are using to persuade others to buy your product? You can use all of those techniques to motivate yourself too. ;-)

    I bring this up because, personally, I've been serious about a few goals for a few years now. I'd wake up many mornings excited about starting it. But guess what... other more compelling things got my attention.

    How do you make "starting or building your business" more compelling so that other 'seriouser' stuff won't pull you?

    Find a strong "reason why" for working on your business. Why are you doing it? Who are you doing it for? How will your life and/or the lives of others be improved by your having more money, more time, and more freedom?


    (If you can't find a strong enough reason for yourself, focus on others who could really use your help.

    Wouldn't it be great if you could have just written a check for $1000 or $10,000 or whatever to help the Haiti situation or any other fund you really wanted to help out with?

    Well, guess what... you could be ready next time - if you start now. )

    Bryan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author petelta
      Originally Posted by Bryan Kumar View Post

      Having a strong enough "reason why" is also important.

      (Bonus tip: All those copywriting tricks and levers you are using to persuade others to buy your product? You can use all of those on yourself. ;-)

      I bring this up because, personally, I've been serious about a few goals for a few years now. I'd wake up many mornings excited about starting it. But guess what... other more compelling things got my attention.

      How do you make "starting or building your business" more compelling so that other 'seriouser' stuff won't pull you?

      Find a strong "reason why" for working on your business. Why are you doing it? Who are you doing it for? How will your life and/or the lives of others be improved by your having more money, more time, and more freedom? (If you can't find a strong enough reason for yourself, focus on others who could really use your help.)

      Bryan
      This is so true. I didn't really kick it into the next gear with my attitude towards IM until I set the goal to quit my day job by my birthday.
      Signature
      TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
      Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sylvia Meier
      Originally Posted by Bryan Kumar View Post

      Having a strong enough "reason why" is also important.

      (Bonus tip: All those copywriting tricks and levers you are using to persuade others to buy your product? You can use all of those techniques to motivate yourself too. ;-)

      I bring this up because, personally, I've been serious about a few goals for a few years now. I'd wake up many mornings excited about starting it. But guess what... other more compelling things got my attention.

      How do you make "starting or building your business" more compelling so that other 'seriouser' stuff won't pull you?

      Find a strong "reason why" for working on your business. Why are you doing it? Who are you doing it for? How will your life and/or the lives of others be improved by your having more money, more time, and more freedom?

      (If you can't find a strong enough reason for yourself, focus on others who could really use your help.

      Wouldn't it be great if you could have just written a check for $1000 or $10,000 or whatever to help the Haiti situation or any other fund you really wanted to help out with?

      Well, guess what... you could be ready next time - if you start now.

      Bryan
      Bryan,
      Excellent post. I think too many people forget some of us have a lot more motivation to do things and make things happen than others, and this is directly reflected in the things we do.

      A lack a motivation can make it so you don't have to take things overly serious and can lead to just lazing around not implementing ideas and making things happen. Whereas a lot of motivating factors can drive someone to succeed, or pursue something else, because it has a more serious motivating factor.

      And I just want to say, I love your last bit, about not having a strong reason, because it's sooo true. There are so many other people things you could be contributing to that could become your motivation if your lacking things in your own life to motivate you.

      Sylvia
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740159].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Originally Posted by Bryan Kumar View Post

      Having a strong enough "reason why" is also important.
      Bryan, you don't post here nearly enough. Yes, this is beyond important...it
      is required, IMO.

      I made it because I had people depending on me...a wife and a daughter. I
      knew that I had to replace a $50,000 a year job income and do it fast or
      end up homeless.

      And no, I am not exaggerating. Things were that bad.

      Today, we're totally debt free. Mortgage is paid, credit cards paid and
      all shredded, except for 2...both with zero balances and paid monthly
      as the bills come in, mostly from my business.

      My daughter's college is paid for.

      If somebody had told me this would be the case 7 years ago, I would
      have said they were nuts.

      Maybe in my case it was desperation. I don't know. But whatever it was,
      it was MY reason why...and it worked.

      Yes, I worked many 14 hour days, sometimes not eating. I ruined my
      health in the process (not advisable) but am slowly recovering.

      People without a purpose in life usually wander aimlessly through it, like
      some friends of mine. They're in the same place today that they were
      25 years ago.

      It's sad, but it's often too true.

      I guess I should have also asked..."What's your purpose?"

      Excellent observation Bryan.

      Not that I'm in the least surprised.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author valerieSONORA
    I love this thread, lotsa inspiration. I need a kick in the butt from time to time.

    Like someone else said, it does apply to *most* areas of life. The more you put into homework, the better grades you get. The more you work out, the better you'll look and be in better shape. Makes me think of the Olympic ice skaters who get up at 5am and practice for hours and hours everyday starting at 4 or 5 years old, sacrificing so much. But they are the few who made it to the Olympics.

    I need to really focus, be serious, because I hate procrastinating, being lazy, putting things off, whatever, and being upset at myself for not getting done what I wanted to get done. I need reminders like this now and then. More efforts=more results.
    Signature

    siggy taking a break...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ILUVCA$H
    I think lots of people seriously want to give Internet Marketing a try and have good intentions but never have a budget or are ready to comment the serious amount of work needed to make things convert. Any business requires hard work and some amount of investment.

    But let's not be to hard on people - I think there is plenty of room for someone to learn this test the waters with out diving full on into Internet Marketing. At some point they may decide to become "serious" but there is no reason to come down hard on everyone.

    That being said I agree that people often are not honest and I have no time for that either.


    WHY SO SERIOUS ???
    Signature

    Luke Smith | Affiliate Manager
    (858) 848-LUKE
    www.motiveinteractive.com
    IM: LukeMotive
    SKYPE : lukejSmith1

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740106].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Russ Emrick
    Steve just posted the obvious and I think in a spirit of helping. Dan Kennedy and almost every 'guru' says that less than 10% of people use or even open the products they buy. Kern just partnered with Anthony Robbins on a video over this very thing. Bryan Kumar talked extensively about this in one of his WSOs. Steve gave us some good advice for FREE - I for one appreciate it.

    Sometimes the best thing that can happen to us is a swift kick in the neither regions. I learned that in boot camp. We all need wake up calls from time to time. Don't be mad at the messenger - be mad at the truth the message contains. Hopefully that anger will motivate change.

    On another note, Steve actually has the chops to make that comment. I"m always amazed when people offer advice to those clearly further along than themselves. I can't tell you how many times employees living paycheck to paycheck have told me how to run my business. Yeah, I'll get on that. Thanks. Steve is successful in IM and practices what he preaches - those facts alone should make us quick to listen and slow to respond. I for one appreciate when people like Steve give mentor quality advice for free. Keep it coming my friend. I too want to meet with you at the top!

    Great job Steve - keep it up. Each kick makes me more money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bryan Kumar
    Sylvia, yes, exactly. We all have it in us. We all have some area of our lives where we are extremely motivated AND we take action.

    It comes down to what meaning you attach to it and how motivating your reason for doing it is.

    Originally Posted by Sylvia Rolfe View Post

    And I just want to say, I love your last bit, about not having a strong reason, because it's sooo true. There are so many other people things you could be contributing to that could become your motivation if your lacking things in your own life to motivate you.
    I actually got that one (as in really understood its power) back when I used to teach self defense.

    Many (actually most) of my students, despite their new-found butt-kicking skills, just would NOT defend themselves when we made the situation realistic.

    Why? Because they didn't want to hurt others. And they were okay with getting roughed up a bit (or worse) themselves instead.

    The only way they changed was when they were told to "now imagine your little child is with you in this situation, ie. once the attacker is done with you, he's going for your child."

    Harsh? Yes.
    An effective motivator? One hundred percent of the time.

    We'll do a LOT more for others (especially our children / loved ones) than we'll ever do for ourselves.

    Bryan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    One reason people don't take action is because they lack confidence. The irony is that to gain real confidence you have to take action. Until you take action and learn for yourself what works and what doesn't work for you, all the how-to instructions and theories are just instructions and theories.
    Signature

    Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kevinfar
    Great short post Steven. Right to the point and as they say, you hit the nail right on the head.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Terri LC
    I'm dead serious, but it wasn't until I started to keep a business journal, was I actually taking DAILY action.

    I read on here, I believe, that I should focus on doing AT LEAST 5 things a day for my busines ventures. So I write them down and it forces me to stay consistent.

    I'm not going anywhere. I too love what I'm doing and my WHY is gihugic and will only continue to get stronger!!

    What I've learned (finally) is that I have to stop subscribing and then get overwhelmed with the emails, and feel like I'm missing out on a gem by not reading them....so I had an unsubscribe-fest recently and things started to change for me.

    Thanks for asking Steve!!

    Terri
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1740590].message }}

Trending Topics