Long Copy vs Short Copy in WSO?

by Dennis Sim 13 replies
Hi Warrior,

I'm not a copywriter but I'd like to find out. I'm dilemma when trying to post something on WSO - long copy or short copy?

Long copy will includes everything in and with an order button. While, the short copy is just explain briefly about the product and direct them to the actual site.

Both has its pros and cons. That's the main factor makes me can't decide :confused:

I hope I could get some answers here

Thank Warrior!

-Dennis.
#main internet marketing discussion forum #copy #copywriting #long #long copy #sales letter #salespage #short #short copy #wso
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jose Delgado
    Short Copy with a buy now button.

    Because warriors look at too many WSO's in one day and don't have time to read a 2 page long salesletter.

    If they see that the copy is long, they won't even bother to read it. (at least not ME! )

    Just write a short letter with all the important details and your best bullet points and that's all you need.

    Put a buy now button there and if you like, put a link to your main site with the long copy in case they want to read it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[153924].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AlexKaplo
      Originally Posted by Jose Delgado View Post

      Short Copy with a buy now button.

      Because warriors look at too many WSO's in one day and don't have time to read a 2 page long salesletter.

      If they see that the copy is long, they won't even bother to read it. (at least not ME! )

      Just write a short letter with all the important details and your best bullet points and that's all you need.

      Put a buy now button there and if you like, put a link to your main site with the long copy in case they want to read it.
      Took the words right out of my mouth!...

      TIP: Here's something that has helped me a lot when writhing short effective sales letters for clients and that is to keep these 3 keywords, or phrases in mind when writhing...

      1- "This is what I Got"
      2 - "This is what It can Do For you!"
      3 - "This is what You have do to Next!"


      Smooth & Simple, and for the people that want more info just give them a link of your full website and I'm pretty sure they will find everything they need! Good Luck my man and I look forward in seeing your product in the WSO!


      Regards,

      -Alex Kaplo
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[153936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author keithakin
    I too agree with the short sales letter and a BUY NOW button!

    I know that I have read way tooooooooooooo many long sales letters in my short time online.

    I don't even read the letter anymore. I usually scroll to the bullet points, check out a few testimonials and decide to buy or not.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154083].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lgibbon
      Banned
      Short without a doubt.

      Personally I think the longer they are the more bull they contain.

      If it's good it will sell itself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fender85
    Yeah, especially given the low pricepoint of WSOs, you don't really need the long copy, anyway. And myself, I greatly appreciate marketers that just get to the point! Just tell me what you have and what it's going to do for me, and if it's good, then I might buy it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rachel Goodchild
    hmm maybe i should split test and try one of mine with short copy!
    Signature

    If you can afford to, please give money to support the people in the Christchurch Earthquake.
    Here is a post to give you information on how to, no matter where you are in the world
    New Zealand thanks you

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154136].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Sim
    After reading all the responses, I guess I've just made a big mistake by posting a long sales copy.
    Signature
    Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. - Bruce Lee
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jose Delgado
      Originally Posted by Dennis Sim View Post

      After reading all the responses, I guess I've just made a big mistake by posting a long sales copy.
      It's always good to TEST.

      Our words don't mean anything if in reality the long copy sells more. You never know.

      After all, you can always go back and change the salesletter.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154152].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author webwyn
        When reading a sales page I much prefer the shorter (cut to the chase) pages. As for conversion of the average visitor though I believe long or short depends on the product and type of visitor.
        Signature

        "To know that you know, and to know that you don't know - that is real wisdom." - Confucious

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154245].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author artwebster
        The gurus tell you that long copy sells more but - WAIT A MINUTE - there are two reasons that they say this:-

        1 - they have a vested interest in having long copy since most marketers haven't a clue how to write effective, repetitious, stuffed with recommendations, redundant superlative loaded, eighteen feet long sales pages and need to buy a fill in the blanks programme or out-source through the gurus affiliate link.

        2 - Because of reason 1, nobody uses short sales letters any more so long copy, being all that is used, has to be "effective"

        Doesn't this rather contradict the gurus love of mini-sites which, really, are only short, concise sales letters?
        Signature

        You might not like what I say - but I believe it.
        Build it, make money, then build some more
        Some old school smarts would help - and here's to Rob Toth for his help. Bloody good stuff, even the freebies!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Asher
      I think having a long sales copy or short sales copy totally depends on
      one thing: The Product

      You don't need to have a long sales copy about a product that's talking
      about how to make a better soap but you probably might need to have
      a long sales copy about why your product can outsell or outdo whatever
      other product is out there.

      If anyone can see your benefit immediately...
      Long Sales Copy: To compare your product with others / To convince
      Short Sales Copy: Benefit is easily seen and you don't need hard-text-
      selling

      Asher
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154421].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dennis Sim
        Originally Posted by Asher View Post

        I think having a long sales copy or short sales copy totally depends on
        one thing: The Product

        You don't need to have a long sales copy about a product that's talking
        about how to make a better soap but you probably might need to have
        a long sales copy about why your product can outsell or outdo whatever
        other product is out there.

        If anyone can see your benefit immediately...
        Long Sales Copy: To compare your product with others / To convince
        Short Sales Copy: Benefit is easily seen and you don't need hard-text-
        selling

        Asher
        A great reply Asher! I love your example
        Signature
        Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. - Bruce Lee
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Sim
    I wonder how to test the copy in WSO? Is it simply change the copy after 1-2 days?
    Signature
    Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. - Bruce Lee
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[154418].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics