Help! Aweber Giving Out My Home Address!!

94 replies
Aweber's giving out my home address to all who subscribe to my list! How do I stop this?

I'm quite new to this whole internet marketing thing, and although I believe I'm providing some real value, I'm not comfortable giving out my home address to everyone who joins my list.

I know the setting to change so a different address is given out, but if I use a fake address, will I get banned by Aweber?

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

And btw, from what I've heard with a PO Box, absolutely anyone has the right to know the home address of the owner, so that probably isn't an option.
#address #aweber #giving #home
  • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    Aweber's giving out my home address to all who subscribe to my list! How do I stop this?

    I'm quite new to this whole internet marketing thing, and although I believe I'm providing some real value, I'm not comfortable giving out my home address to everyone who joins my list.

    I know the setting to change so a different address is given out, but if I use a fake address, will I get banned by Aweber?

    All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

    And btw, from what I've heard with a PO Box, absolutely anyone has the right to know the home address of the owner, so that probably isn't an option.
    Type in "virtual postal address or mail forwarding address etc " into Google.

    Pretty simple process.

    You pay a small monthly fee for an address in a real office building.

    They forward your snail mail to you.

    Job done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Magpieguy
      Cracking suggestion. My address is on and didn't know there was a way around it. Thank you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author testaccount9998
    There is nothing you can do to make Aweber stop giving out the address because of the Can Spam Act.

    You can get a P.O. box so people won't know your home address.

    I think you might be mistaken about anyone being able to find out your home address, especially if you get a P.O. box from a private company.

    But if someone is that motivated to track you down they could just trace your IP
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by Snow_Predator View Post

    Aweber's giving out my home address to all who subscribe to my list!
    I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

    If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      Never understood this argument.

      We have 120,000 people on a list.

      It's a very popular and well thought of product.

      I still don't want them popping around to my house to ask me questions about it while I'm sat watching the TV.

      There are nutters out there.

      I don't need them coming around to say hello.

      It has nothing at all to do with credibilty of your business.

      Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.

      There's a good reason for that.

      Just because you run your business from home, doesn't mean you want every customer on your list to know where you sunbathe naked.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825384].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Honest Abe
        Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

        Never understood this argument.

        We have 120,000 people on a list.

        It's a very popular and well thought of product.

        I still don't want them popping around to my house to ask me questions about it while I'm sat watching the TV.

        There are nutters out there.

        I don't need them coming around to say hello.

        It has nothing at all to do with credibilty of your business.

        Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.

        There's a good reason for that.

        Just because you run your business from home, doesn't mean you want every customer on your list to know where you sunbathe naked.

        I agree. There are so many nuts out there you have to be careful. No matter how honest you run your business you may tick off a nut job. Especially when your talking email. Some people get really sensitive about receiving email. You really can't be to carefull. You also have to be can spam compliant though. Go to the post office and get a p.o. box. Its like $50 for the year. If someone is going to go threw the trouble to find out your house address threw the post office your probably not going to stop them. P.O. box is a little security though. If they really wanted they could probably just call aweber up and get your info too.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825428].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

        Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.
        No, but they're required by law to put one up that says where you can contact the owner.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825618].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          No, but they're required by law to put one up that says where you can contact the owner.
          Which isn't the equivalent of having their home address is it , so the counter response is moot.

          I have numerous ways my customers can contact me, which include, phone, e-mail and a helpdesk.

          You think Walmart has the home address of the directors plastered on the bottom of every till receipt? That would have to be so for your counter argument to hold water.

          Your assumption that anybody not wanting their home address to be public somehow is up to no good, is erroneous, a bit condecending and misplaced.

          Your other arguments about for example your credit card company knowing your address isn't the same as random strangers who signed up for a free PDF knowing it. You're making counter arguments out of strawmans - at best.

          You are not selling to people who hold your card details. You are not entering an e-mail discussion with them at a level that creates a potential friction.

          Placing your home address on a public forum is entirely your perogative but it doesn't actually counter the argument that it's actually quite foolish to tell all and sundry where you, you wife and your children live. I am not prepared under any circumstances to put them at risk.

          Have you ever seen a simple topic blow up into a full scale net row where people go essentially mental arguing over something as simple as the best way to gain muscle or whether Obama's a good president or how to treat backpain.

          People go frankly mental over the internet.

          What if something you send out doesn't tally with their idea of what's correct. You need just one moron to see your home address and decide to pop around to correct you himself.

          It takes just one fruit loop to realise they happen to live close and to decide to come around .

          Perhaps they don't like your answers, who knows either way I don't actually want random strangers knocking on my door because they happened to opt in to a free video about (insert niche here), it's absurd.

          You may , for whatever reason, feel that's something you're ok with.

          I do not however and it is no way representative of my business ethics or anybody elses.

          Big name marketers have official offices, that would be absolutely fine to include on any communication. Infact it makes sense as it adds credibility. This is one of the reasons I have a virtual mail business address for various applications that display this kind of information.

          It is true that for people like ourselves it's possible with a little knowledge to track down somebody , but for the masses who use the internet not as a mechanism for profit , they are less suss to this. I don't see any reason to give them a map to my driveway.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826994].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

            Your assumption that anybody not wanting their home address to be public somehow is up to no good
            I didn't make that assumption, and the continued insistence that I did is rather tiresome.

            Your other arguments about for example your credit card company knowing your address isn't the same as random strangers who signed up for a free PDF knowing it.
            No, it's just random strangers hired at minimum wage to do data entry.

            it's actually quite foolish to tell all and sundry where you, you wife and your children live.
            It's even more foolish to assume people don't know what you don't tell them.

            It takes just one fruit loop to realise they happen to live close and to decide to come around .
            How much more likely is this than some fruit loop just randomly selecting your house for some fruitiness? Just happened to be in the neighbourhood, thought your house looked fun.

            Is that really so much different from "just happened to be on your list, thought your address looked fun" in the grand scheme of things?

            You're afraid of something that never happens. Even all the people who have had someone drop by their house, look - nothing untoward happened. We don't have a litany of restraining orders and court cases and lawsuits and arrests. We just have "ooh, some guy I don't know came to the house, he could have been freaky and weird and done something terrible - but I got lucky and he was basically just a normal guy."

            That's not "getting lucky." That's like walking out of the house every day and saying "boy howdy, I sure am lucky a stampede of wild buffalo didn't just trample me." It's just retarded.
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827160].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
              Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

              I didn't make that assumption, and the continued insistence that I did is rather tiresome.
              Then you need to write more clearly as it's the impression every single participant in this thread took away from your response to the OP.



              No, it's just random strangers hired at minimum wage to do data entry.
              That's not a valid response to the difference, again strawman.


              How much more likely is this than some fruit loop just randomly selecting your house for some fruitiness? Just happened to be in the neighbourhood, thought your house looked fun.
              Massively more likely for the reasons given.

              You're afraid of something that never happens.
              It does happen and indeed cases of it have been specified in this thread.

              That's like walking out of the house every day and saying "boy howdy, I sure am lucky a stampede of wild buffalo didn't just trample me." It's just retarded.
              The analagy is yes.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827193].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Raygun
        Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

        Never understood this argument.

        We have 120,000 people on a list.

        It's a very popular and well thought of product.

        I still don't want them popping around to my house to ask me questions about it while I'm sat watching the TV.

        There are nutters out there.

        I don't need them coming around to say hello.

        It has nothing at all to do with credibilty of your business.

        Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.

        There's a good reason for that.

        Just because you run your business from home, doesn't mean you want every customer on your list to know where you sunbathe naked.
        I seriously almost spit out the tea I was drinking when I read your post. But I do agree, it is good to have a separate address for your online business.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825652].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LB
        Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

        Never understood this argument.

        We have 120,000 people on a list.

        It's a very popular and well thought of product.

        I still don't want them popping around to my house to ask me questions about it while I'm sat watching the TV.

        There are nutters out there.

        I don't need them coming around to say hello.

        It has nothing at all to do with credibilty of your business.

        Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.

        There's a good reason for that.

        Just because you run your business from home, doesn't mean you want every customer on your list to know where you sunbathe naked.
        I was going to respond but you pretty much nailed it.

        In addition to the nutters out there, there are plenty of people (especially in niches where can-spam means just as much to your prospects as "canned spam") who think "why would he put his address on there if he didn't want me to know it?" They feel if your address is published then obviously it's cool to stop by. They probably don't even realize it's a residential address in many cases.

        And yes, years ago I had some people show up at my home. In at least one case this person was not playing with a full deck.

        So...get a mail forwarder. Imagine some disgruntled customers appearing when your wife was home alone?
        Signature
        Tired of Article Marketing, Backlink Spamming and Other Crusty Old Traffic Methods?

        Click Here.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825834].message }}
        • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825847].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author marciayudkin
          I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."
          I don't think you'd say this if you'd had some of the experiences I and my women friends have had - being stalked, targeted by prisoners and harassed by customers who had a screw loose.

          There is a huge difference between getting a threat from someone who can't easily find you at home and someone whom you know knows where you live.

          Come to think of it, I recommend changing the saying to...

          "Conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live - but keep your home address private."

          Marcia Yudkin
          Signature
          Check out Marcia Yudkin's No-Hype Marketing Academy for courses on copywriting, publicity, infomarketing, marketing plans, naming, and branding - not to mention the popular "Marketing for Introverts" course.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825859].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jeff Henshaw
            Ok. Problem solved.

            Go through your list of whom you hate the most - and use their home address in your Aweber emails. :rolleyes:

            Jeff.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Niche-Dominator
        Couldn't agree more! Well said Indeed!

        Originally Posted by SimonHarrison View Post

        Never understood this argument.

        We have 120,000 people on a list.

        It's a very popular and well thought of product.

        I still don't want them popping around to my house to ask me questions about it while I'm sat watching the TV.

        There are nutters out there.

        I don't need them coming around to say hello.

        It has nothing at all to do with credibilty of your business.

        Normal bricks and mortar busineses don't put signs up telling you where their staff live.

        There's a good reason for that.

        Just because you run your business from home, doesn't mean you want every customer on your list to know where you sunbathe naked.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016162].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nicola Lane
      Or perhaps they are a disabled single woman, who could do without a violent ex turning up on her doorstep?



      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      Signature

      I like to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825394].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hamida Harland
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post


      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      Would I really want thousands of complete strangers knowing my home address? Absolutely not (mainly for the reasons Simon Harrison outlined) and I don't think it's very nice to make insinuations about how someone conducts their business just because they want to maintain their safety and privacy.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825498].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tjs1954
        Originally Posted by Hamida Harland View Post

        Would I really want thousands of complete strangers knowing my home address? Absolutely not (mainly for the reasons Simon Harrison outlined) and I don't think it's very nice to make insinuations about how someone conducts their business just because they want to maintain their safety and privacy.
        I agree, you don't need all those people knowing your address even if you conduct business 100% above board, use a UPS store, It gives you a street address and it's not very much per month, I had one sometime back when I moved but I don't remember what I paid.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016096].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      :rolleyes:
      Signature

      Bare Murkage.........

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825680].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andyf
        I didn't know Aweber did this...kind of a bummer. There are weirdos out there...doesn't have anything to do with how you run your business. Some dude just might wake up one day and "hear voices"...and your email was the last one he looked at. Kind of like in the movie "The Jerk"...remember the wacked out sniper. "Die Navan Johnson!"...got the name right out of the phone book. Pretty funny scene.


        If you get a P.O. address, do they still use your name or do they use your website address....or business name if you actually have one? You can still find almost anyone once you have a name.


        Andyf
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825812].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author pink sapphire
          Originally Posted by Andyf View Post


          If you get a P.O. address, do they still use your name or do they use your website address....or business name if you actually have one? You can still find almost anyone once you have a name.

          Can anyone answer this?

          I use pen names for all my niches - does aweber allow for using different names (or just website addresses) for different lists? Or would my real name be on all of them?

          thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827139].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
            Originally Posted by pink sapphire View Post

            Can anyone answer this?

            I use pen names for all my niches - does aweber allow for using different names (or just website addresses) for different lists? Or would my real name be on all of them?

            thanks
            You can assign a different "from" name to appear in the from field, also a different e-mail address for each list.

            The "address" displayed next to the unsubscribe link is a global setting.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827147].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      I normally like your posts, C, but I think your thinly-veiled accusation is 100% out of place here.

      Isn't it possible that someone could just be freaked out by the thought of 1,000s; 10,000s; or more STRANGERS knowing where they live? Especially if they have a family and home of their own that they wish to proctect.

      Also, newer people may not be aware that CAN-SPAM requires such a provision.

      To say that anyone who doesn't want their HOME address shared with the entire world are somehow conducting an out-of-the-cellar business isn't really fair.

      Hmm...?

      All the best,
      Michael
      Signature

      "Ich bin en fuego!"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825793].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Andy Money
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        I normally like your posts, C, but I think your thinly-veiled accusation is 100% out of place here.

        Isn't it possible that someone could just be freaked out by the thought of 1,000s; 10,000s; or more STRANGERS knowing where they live? Especially if they have a family and home of their own that they wish to proctect.

        Also, newer people may not be aware that CAN-SPAM requires such a provision.

        To say that anyone who doesn't want their HOME address shared with the entire world are somehow conducting an out-of-the-cellar business isn't really fair.

        Hmm...?

        All the best,
        Michael
        Agree 100% from start to finish with your post.

        There are so many crazy people out there it's ridiculous. I've received 10 death threats via YouTube messages alone--the internet can be a scary place.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825922].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        Isn't it possible that someone could just be freaked out by the thought of 1,000s; 10,000s; or more STRANGERS knowing where they live?
        Reality check.

        You send your address to all kinds of companies that have services you use.

        Electric companies, phone companies, cable companies, all sorts of them.

        Thousands of strangers work for those companies.

        You order stuff from Amazon and tell them where you live.

        You order stuff from random marketers and tell them where you live.

        There are ALREADY thousands of strangers who know where you live.

        So yeah, I understand why someone would be freaked out. Denial. Refusal to believe that when they hand their address to Amazon, someone might read it.

        That when they throw some movie into the queue at Netflix, some creep might be over there looking at their history and falling into some weirdo fantasy about what kind of person has that history and how happy they could be together.

        You're worried about the address in your email? Grow up. Your list is SQUAT compared to the people who already see your address. If you're insecure about your list knowing your address, you have much bigger problems already.

        And once you solve those problems, you won't care about your list knowing your address. Your address is on the list so you'll treat that list with care and respect, because they know where to send the process server if they file a lawsuit, or the authorities if you break the law. The price of bringing the bad guys out in the open is that the good guys have to come out, too.

        But since they're the good guys, there's nothing to be afraid of.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825976].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LB
          And once you solve those problems, you won't care about your list knowing your address. Your address is on the list so you'll treat that list with care and respect, because they know where to send the process server if they file a lawsuit, or the authorities if you break the law. The price of bringing the bad guys out in the open is that the good guys have to come out, too.

          But since they're the good guys, there's nothing to be afraid of.
          I'd like to purchase a ticket to your magical world.
          Signature
          Tired of Article Marketing, Backlink Spamming and Other Crusty Old Traffic Methods?

          Click Here.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825997].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by LB View Post

            I'd like to purchase a ticket to your magical world.
            Magical?

            You already live here.

            All the people on your list fall into one of two categories.

            1. People you should not be afraid of and do not need to worry about.

            2. People you should already be afraid of and worrying about.

            See? You don't need to be any more afraid or worried when your address goes out on your list, because it doesn't change anything.

            It's not that there aren't any psychos on your list. It's that there are no more and no worse than you already should have been dealing with anyway.

            If you're not dealing with it, you're already screwed.

            And if you are, what's the problem?
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826028].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author LB
              Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

              Magical?

              You already live here.

              All the people on your list fall into one of two categories.

              1. People you should not be afraid of and do not need to worry about.

              2. People you should already be afraid of and worrying about.

              See? You don't need to be any more afraid or worried when your address goes out on your list, because it doesn't change anything.

              It's not that there aren't any psychos on your list. It's that there are no more and no worse than you already should have been dealing with anyway.

              If you're not dealing with it, you're already screwed.

              And if you are, what's the problem?
              I'm not even sure what you're saying here...so because someone on my list might be a psycho then I should just give them my home address and hope for the best.

              How do I "deal with it"?

              Real story: Guy signs up for my list, doesn't even confirm- just gets the "please confirm mail" and replies to me "take me off this list or I'll come to your house and fu$%ing kill you." Should that nice man have my home address?
              Signature
              Tired of Article Marketing, Backlink Spamming and Other Crusty Old Traffic Methods?

              Click Here.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826060].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                It's no one's business but mine whether I list my address or not.

                It says nothing about how I do business. If had an apartment or moved frequently I might not think anything of it. As a homeowner staying in one place, I'm not giving out my address to people I don't know.

                Those who think it's fine should do it - and the rest of us can what we want.
                There's nothing to argue about.

                kay
                Signature
                Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

                Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826172].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Taylor French
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Reality check.

          You send your address to all kinds of companies that have services you use.

          Electric companies, phone companies, cable companies, all sorts of them.

          Thousands of strangers work for those companies.

          You order stuff from Amazon and tell them where you live.

          You order stuff from random marketers and tell them where you live.

          There are ALREADY thousands of strangers who know where you live.

          So yeah, I understand why someone would be freaked out. Denial. Refusal to believe that when they hand their address to Amazon, someone might read it.

          That when they throw some movie into the queue at Netflix, some creep might be over there looking at their history and falling into some weirdo fantasy about what kind of person has that history and how happy they could be together.

          You're worried about the address in your email? Grow up. Your list is SQUAT compared to the people who already see your address. If you're insecure about your list knowing your address, you have much bigger problems already.

          And once you solve those problems, you won't care about your list knowing your address. Your address is on the list so you'll treat that list with care and respect, because they know where to send the process server if they file a lawsuit, or the authorities if you break the law. The price of bringing the bad guys out in the open is that the good guys have to come out, too.

          But since they're the good guys, there's nothing to be afraid of.
          Are you kidding?

          You think some random worker at Amazon or Netflix is as likely as some psycho who can't figure out where the unsubscribe link is to come to your home and scare your wife or kid half to death or worse?

          Have you read some of the threads here where people have received death threats because some idiot couldn't figure out how to unzip a file or unsubscribe from a list?

          Haven't you read the news stories where people go so angry at spammers they started threatening physical harm to them if they didn't stop emailing them?

          Where have you been living for the last decade? :rolleyes:
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826035].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Steve Ranger
        Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

        I normally like your posts, C, but I think your thinly-veiled accusation is 100% out of place here.
        This is exactly how I read CDarklock's post as well. Sounds a little bitter? :confused:

        And, as a real world example, try and find Frank Kern's address. Try and find the addresses of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies. You will struggle. Home addresses are not usually attached to businesses.

        Because of the nature of our business (easily working from home) it creates a small problem. Personally I don't mind as I work on the move with a laptop - but I would like my personal address, where my children live for example, kept private.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989535].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jay Jennings
          Originally Posted by Steve Ranger View Post

          And, as a real world example, try and find Frank Kern's address. Try and find the addresses of CEO's of Fortune 500 companies. You will struggle. Home addresses are not usually attached to businesses.
          I used the background scenery from one of Frank's videos and some searching on Google Earth and found his hideout.

          When we were traveling through California a year ago I was going to stalk him but my wife wouldn't let me, so we went to Arizona instead.

          Maybe next time.

          Jay Jennings
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1991012].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      So why don't you post your actual home address on this forum if that is how you fee;?

      After all, you do do business here, right?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826157].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by Floyd Fisher View Post

        So why don't you post your actual home address on this forum if that is how you fee;?
        Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

        16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

        And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

        And my email address is in my title.

        And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826177].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Hanz
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.
          CDarklock is all about keepin' it real!
          Signature
          All The Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Audios, SEO Reports & Articles You Want with PLR ~ New Products Added Daily in Super Hot Niches! ~ Sign Up to PLR Assassin Today
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826223].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Hanz
            Some good options here. For those uncomfortable with having their home addresses exposed to their list, the PO box idea is a good one. If not that, then buy yourself a raging rottweiler to keep the psychos away!
            Signature
            All The Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Audios, SEO Reports & Articles You Want with PLR ~ New Products Added Daily in Super Hot Niches! ~ Sign Up to PLR Assassin Today
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826240].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.
          You got guts, that is for sure. I salute you!

          Clickbank has all my info. You buy a product from me, they will be happy to furnish it to you.

          What I don't need is some deranged person confusing me for a professional spammer (which I am not by a long shot) coming out to my house and exacting some revenge on me because their email inbox is filled with unsolicited viagra ads. There isn't enough bullets on earth to rid the world of that kind of stupidity, so I perfer not to engage in that crusade.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826269].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Hanz
            Originally Posted by Floyd Fisher View Post

            You got guts, that is for sure. I salute you!

            Clickbank has all my info. You buy a product from me, they will be happy to furnish it to you.

            What I don't need is some deranged person confusing me for a professional spammer (which I am not by a long shot) coming out to my house and exacting some revenge on me because their email inbox is filled with unsolicited viagra ads. There isn't enough bullets on earth to rid the world of that kind of stupidity, so I perfer not to engage in that crusade.
            Oh please! You couldn't find CDarklock's house even with Sherlock Holmes' help. He lives in the middle of nothing and nowhere. LOL! Even Google Maps can't find it. According to Google, CDarklock's location ends in the middle of some old deserted road in some old deserted land. After that, Google is lost!
            Signature
            All The Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Audios, SEO Reports & Articles You Want with PLR ~ New Products Added Daily in Super Hot Niches! ~ Sign Up to PLR Assassin Today
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826280].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
              Originally Posted by Hanz View Post

              He lives in the middle of nothing and nowhere.
              If you actually came out here, it would be the yellow house that stands out like a sore thumb in all the farmland. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but hard to find, it is not.

              And you'll generally find that in the Puget Sound area, Microsoft has VERY good maps. Drop down the "Aerial" menu and pick "Bird's Eye View" for best results, the pin is centred on the property but the house is slightly northeast of it:

              Bing Map of the house
              Signature
              "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826658].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author theimdude
                Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

                If you actually came out here, it would be the yellow house that stands out like a sore thumb in all the farmland. It may be in the middle of nowhere, but hard to find, it is not.

                And you'll generally find that in the Puget Sound area, Microsoft has VERY good maps. Drop down the "Aerial" menu and pick "Bird's Eye View" for best results, the pin is centred on the property but the house is slightly northeast of it:

                Bing Map of the house
                WOW I am your neighbour and didn't even know it. You must come over for a game of tennis soon.
                Signature
                Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
                [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

                CLICK HERE NOW
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989472].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Floyd Fisher
              Originally Posted by Hanz View Post

              Oh please! You couldn't find CDarklock's house even with Sherlock Holmes' help. He lives in the middle of nothing and nowhere. LOL! Even Google Maps can't find it. According to Google, CDarklock's location ends in the middle of some old deserted road in some old deserted land. After that, Google is lost!
              Ever heard of Tom Tom? It can find anything.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828358].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Terry Crim
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.

          I completely agree with you. We are in the minority here but I have no problem at all with people knowing where I live or having REAL methods of contacting me.

          I have had people come to my house and I turned the situation into a sale or I could of proposed a JV or just addressed the persons questions directed them to other sources or put them to work helping me do yard work or minor repairs I need done around the house.

          You also have the option to call the police. If someone sends you email or other contact and threatens you then it is simple. Call the police and their ISP.

          I had a situation back in early 2000 where someone threatened me over a spam email they sent me. I contacted their ISP and had their website shut down, they used a free hosting service. The person emailed me threatening me and said I cost them hundreds of dollars in lost business.

          I contacted their ISP got information about this person and together we contacted the local Police for their area.

          It happens. You have more chance of getting sued than some nut coming knocking on your door. If your business practices take advantage of people, you charge people and don't deliver for what they paid for then you probably have more of something to be concerned with getting an unwelcome visitor.

          My belief system on this subject is, if you are really doing business online. Have paying customers and working one on one with people then why would you hide from them? When I buy something from someone I want to be able to contact them. If I am entertaining the idea of purchasing from you I want to know you are REAL, have a personal presence in your business are readily available for me to contact you if I need questions addresed or there is a problem with your product or service.

          If I don't see an address on your website and contact methods, I don't buy from you.

          Though there are a few here that think this way, I have no problem at all with people knowing how to get a hold of me. I find it suspicious when business owners don't have a way to be contacted. I want to get a hold of a real person not some bot or 3rd party that takes messages and relays them. That's just me though.

          - T
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826276].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by Terry Crim View Post

            I find it suspicious when business owners don't have a way to be contacted.
            So do I. It's just like people who complain about privacy; um, what are you DOING?

            There are arguments that can be made in both directions, and they both make perfect sense.

            We all want our privacy, so let's all hide what we're doing so it's no longer suspicious to hide it.

            But nasty evil people hide what they're doing so they don't get caught, and if we made everyone stop hiding we would see them and then we could lock them up or something.

            Now, there are good and smart people on both sides of that argument, but my big "just a moment" concern is that I'll bet we can all tell how the nasty evil people are voting.

            That doesn't make it fair to lump the people on that side in with all the nasty evil people, of course, but I find it perfectly fair to say "if you were nasty and evil you would want privacy, and I don't know if you're nasty and evil, but you sure do seem to be on their side about this."
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826704].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Victoria Neely
              Hmmm. Kinda reminds me of someone I knew who said you can't fully trust introverts, because you don't know what they're thinking. It's always seems to be the weird quiet ones who go shooting up schools. Most of the quiet ones are probably OK, but you never know, gotta keep an eye on them...

              On that note, I don't see anything wrong with using a PO box or virtual address.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826739].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
                Originally Posted by Victoria Neely View Post

                On that note, I don't see anything wrong with using a PO box or virtual address.
                Oh, and just to be clear - neither do I. My problem is exclusively with people who want to conceal ANY information the customer can use to contact them.
                Signature
                "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826788].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Victoria Neely
                  Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

                  Oh, and just to be clear - neither do I. My problem is exclusively with people who want to conceal ANY information the customer can use to contact them.
                  Ohhhh. OK, gotcha. I was misreading some posts in the thread and started to see a horse of a different color.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826840].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author bigcullie
                    Good comments, I like my privacy too, but I understand the need for a permanent business address to be displayed; however nobody has mentioned Google maps.

                    That bothers me as I am a newbie and struggling to get started. You see all these great sales pages of people saying how well they are doing with their products or business.

                    When I somebody types in my postal code into Goggle maps, (and I have done ths myself to see where others are coming from), you see a street, less than desirable. I am not ashamed of it, but it does give a less than successful advertisement.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016282].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Terry Crim
                  Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

                  Oh, and just to be clear - neither do I. My problem is exclusively with people who want to conceal ANY information the customer can use to contact them.
                  Another thing I don't like is not just concealing contact information but having old out dated information on their sites. Old address, canceled phone etc...

                  Using P.O. Box is fine as long as it is current method of getting a hold of you and you check it regularly and not just once a month or something. I don't usually send snail mail to contact someone I purchased something from. The main point is having current contact information. I guess going a little off the topic about it so wont go further about it.

                  - T
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826847].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
                  Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

                  Oh, and just to be clear - neither do I. My problem is exclusively with people who want to conceal ANY information the customer can use to contact them.
                  I missed this.

                  I agree with the above position but that's not at all what the OP stated he wanted to do.

                  He just didn't want his home address sent out to all and sundry.

                  Entirely different to concealing any information a customer can use to contact you.

                  Worlds apart.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827031].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author All Night Cafe
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.
          I like your style, I never know where you are going to turn up.

          I read everything you write, with a grain of salt, but it is good salt.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826940].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.
          Alright, where's my chainsaw and hockey mask? Ahh, right next to my checklist of victims Muwahahahaha

          (just joking btw ^_^)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827882].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author discrat
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          Oh, I just love it when people challenge me to actually believe what I say.

          16512 SE Green Valley, Auburn, WA 98092.

          And my phone number is 504-383-3275.

          And my email address is in my title.

          And you could have found all of that out with a WHOIS search on darklock.com, because I don't believe in domain privacy either.

          Sorry dude, but I think someone has skipped their daily dosage of 'smart pills'.

          Seriously though, I just cant disagree with your assertions more about having your actual Address out there for all to see. There is so many other ways like Phone number, email, twitter etc.. you can utilize !

          Look at the Risk/Reward !! Is it really worth it to put your actual address just because it might (and that is a BIG Might) help out the credibility of your Business or would you rather put the odds in your favor in securing the Safety of your Family ??

          Quite honestly, screw my business because when it involves the safety of my family thats No.1 !! PERIOD , END OF STORY
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828433].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Letterman
          Just had to say THANKS for that response.....
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1836024].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      I've always said "conduct your business as though every customer knows who you are and where you live."

      If you're bothered by them knowing these things, maybe you're not conducting your business that way, hmm?
      I could understand this mentality, but I leave my wife and 3 young kids at home to
      run my business out of an office not too far away.

      So I recently went and changed my address in there as well because there are
      psychos out there (even in this very forum).

      - Jason
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Hess
    If you wish to change your address:



    Hover your mouse over "my lists" and click "global fields".

    The first box is your address... change it to whatever you want.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825385].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Magpieguy
      Didn't realise it was that simple!!
      Originally Posted by Mark Hess View Post

      If you wish to change your address:



      Hover your mouse over "my lists" and click "global fields".

      The first box is your address... change it to whatever you want.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825460].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeroism
    Just get a P.O Box and never give out your home address. It has nothing to do with being credible and everything to do with be safe. There are nutters out there, and there are also thousands of marketing companies scraping addresses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ILUVCA$H
    I do like the idea of using a virtual mail box that's a good suggestions rather then fake it which violates the can spam act anyway even if your mailing software allows it.

    -Luke
    Signature

    Luke Smith | Affiliate Manager
    (858) 848-LUKE
    www.motiveinteractive.com
    IM: LukeMotive
    SKYPE : lukejSmith1

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marakatapolis
    The UPS Store / Mailboxes has PO Boxes but they give you an actual street address and you can either pick up your mail or have it forwarded to you (they charge a small fee + shipping). However if you do this once a week it doesn't cost much, and for small businesses it's only $75 per 3 months. So basically, for $25/month you get an actual street address for your business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulaC
    I use a PO Box and I have to agree with Simon. There is no way I would put my home address on every email I send out to my list.
    Signature

    My Blog --> Affiliate Blog Online

    Our New Membership Site - Affiliate Tools HQ

    Amazonian Profit Plan - Our Complete Blueprint for Making Money Online by Promoting Amazon Products - The Amazonian Profit Plan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NK
    I think getting a virtual post address is the best solution. I'm planning to do that myself as well actually.
    Signature

    Affiliate Link Cloaking & Tracking Software - The most powerful tool available for affiliate marketers who are sick and tired of making way too little money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1825785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
    You can change it in 30 seconds as Mark Hess has kindly pointed out to whatever you want.

    To be safe and above board ideally you need to use a real address, so you may want to look into opening up a mailbox or P.O Box then stick the new address in.
    Signature
    'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joseph Then
    Some years back, a well-known marketer actually have to move his house because one of the subscriber kept visiting his house asking him how to make money online.

    And I mean PESTERING this marketer, because he has his home address sent by mistake.

    So there is a reason why you shouldn't use a home address.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826078].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ryan700
      Originally Posted by Joseph Then View Post

      Some years back, a well-known marketer actually have to move his house because one of the subscriber kept visiting his house asking him how to make money online.

      And I mean PESTERING this marketer, because he has his home address sent by mistake.

      So there is a reason why you shouldn't use a home address.
      Yes, and now with Google Street view they know what your house looks like before they even get there!
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1835493].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author marciayudkin
        You're afraid of something that never happens.
        The more successful you are, the more often these "somethings" do happen. Why do you think politicians and Hollywood celebrities have security people?

        And women are, unfortunately, somewhat more vulnerable to the problems than men are.

        When I had my photo in Entrepreneur Magazine, I started getting inappropriately intimate letters from a federal prisoner that went on for years. I had to seek legal advice on how to get it stopped without making the problem worse. When I finally thought the problem was solved, I started receiving letters from 2 friends of the original guy, from the same prison! It's kind of funny unless it's happening to you.

        For a short period of time years ago, I had clients come to my home office. A client who came to see me during that time turned out to be wacko. She got angry at me and began calling me with such frequency I couldn't use my phone any more, and left a threat on my doorstep. I had to call the police, and a very skilled police officer got her to stop the harrassment.

        Another time I received violent threats from a well-known marketing colleague to whom I had given my home address because he'd had to send me a book.

        That's three real-life reasons why I am very protective of my home address. And why I tell other successful people to be smart and keep their home address to themselves.

        Marcia Yudkin
        Signature
        Check out Marcia Yudkin's No-Hype Marketing Academy for courses on copywriting, publicity, infomarketing, marketing plans, naming, and branding - not to mention the popular "Marketing for Introverts" course.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1836030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author willard
    You can change it in the Global Fields tab, get a P.O Box or a UPS store address.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mr. Enthusiastic
    According to the FTC themselves, a PO box is fine. The rule is simply that there is a physical postal address where you can reliably get any mail sent by customers.
    The CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business
    Tell recipients where you're located. Your message must include your valid physical postal address. This can be your current street address, a post office box you've registered with the U.S. Postal Service, or a private mailbox you've registered with a commercial mail receiving agency established under Postal Service regulations.
    I'm not a lawyer so please check w/your attorney if you need clarification. From my layman's opinion, it sure looks to me like a mailbox is fine.
    The FTC provides their own contact information right on this page.

    According to Aweber, you can watch their step by video or follow their step by step instructions with pictures showing how to change your contact information, including mailing address.
    http://www.aweber.com/faq/questions/...Information%3F
    Contact them directly: http://www.aweber.com/contact-us.htm

    C'mon folks, quit guessing and speculating. It's not hard to go get the information you need directly from the source. The FTC will tell you what the FTC needs if you ask them. AWeber support staff will tell you how to work with AWeber if you ask them.

    Chris
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CRGreen
    I use a Post Net store to have a street mailing address. It is very convenient and keeps anyone from having my home address.
    Signature
    Connie Ragen Green
    Huge Profits Tiny List
    Make Huge Profits With A Small List
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Silas Hart
    I give out my home address, I don't care. Come check out how awesome my house is.

    ...and if your going to kill me and my kids, at least wait until we are sleeping. That's all I ask.

    All crude humor aside, I use dropboxes, and they aren't affiliated with where I actually live. I learned this lesson quickly as a landlord. I thought it would be awesome to sit at home while my renters dropped by my checks but it turned out to be a lot of hassle with 2 AM wake up calls telling me that they have bugs or something (due to people using the basement as a dumpster).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
    It's not about whether people know where YOU live or not.

    The premise that those who are uncomfortable with it are only uncomfortable with it because they are up to no good is absolutely asinine.

    On the other hand, there are those who purposely hide their real address because they ARE scammers. But simple logic proves that the reverse isn't true.

    That's all I'm trying to say.

    Your post insinuated that someone who's a bit freaked out about THEIR address being shared, is freaked out because they are being dishonest themselves. But you have no proof, and the accusatory tone is not cool in my book.

    Give ME a break!

    All the best,
    Michael
    Signature

    "Ich bin en fuego!"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1826903].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
      Originally Posted by Michael Oksa View Post

      the accusatory tone is not cool in my book.
      The accusatory tone, in case you don't know, is in your head.

      Text doesn't have a tone.

      So if you don't like the tone, well, it's sort of up to you.

      I already said pretty much the same thing you just did a couple posts ago. And I stand by my original statement: if you are being honest and forthright with your customers, you don't need to hide your address.
      Signature
      "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827035].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
        Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post


        Text doesn't have a tone.
        Hell yeah it does .
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827038].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Oksa
        Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

        The accusatory tone, in case you don't know, is in your head.

        Text doesn't have a tone.

        So if you don't like the tone, well, it's sort of up to you.

        I already said pretty much the same thing you just did a couple posts ago. And I stand by my original statement: if you are being honest and forthright with your customers, you don't need to hide your address.
        I would think a professional quality writer such as yourself would understand that you CAN convey tone in writing. By adding the "hmm?" to your first post in this thread, you made YOUR tone quite clear.

        Hmm...did I just convey tone by capitalizing certain words?



        (Oops! did my typing a ; and a ) convey tone again? Well, doggone it!)



        ~Michael
        Signature

        "Ich bin en fuego!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1827644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    I am using Getresponse rather then Aweber and the same thing happens there. When you send out a newsletter to them, your address will show up at the bottom of the email. There is nothing that we can do about it. It is a law that you address shows up in your email when you use these companies for your follow up.

    Tal
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Snow_Predator
    Thanks all. I have to say, Simon Harrison provides some great reasoning as to why one would wish to withhold his home address. And CDarklock just sounds like he's trying to win an argument for the sake of winning.

    CDarklock said: "It's even more foolish to assume people don't know what you don't tell them."

    Rubbish in my opinion.

    I'm not looking to be convinced that it's OK to give everyone my home address. People can call me or email me to ask questions, but being new to internet marketing, I'm not willing to give out my home address.

    What I wanted to know is if there were any alternatives to providing my real address, and if so - what are they?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
    Check out the intial 3-5 posts, there's some guidance on how to setup a virtual address which will forward snail mail to you should there be any. It's a good solution and will be fine for use with Aweber.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1828113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vitaly Makarkin
    I have a question about country of mailing address.

    Like if I'm promoting products for US market, but live in Russia. But still provide my clients with a valuable information.

    Does it make some positive/negative sense of believe?

    Like "He is living in different country, how I can trust your and leave to another marketer". (or ROI)

    Just my first view on this topic like a beginner.
    Signature

    Best Regards,
    Vitaly Makarkin (like)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1835290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TiffanyLambert
    Thanks for showing us how to change it Mark. I found it a bit creepy when a subscriber google mapped my house wondering why I didn't live in a mansion like the gurus. LOL (I had to go into my whole spiel about how I live in my childhood home because it's sentimental to me - how my dad kept it for me after my parents' divorce, how it houses all of the memories of my 3 children growing up in it in addition to my own childhood memories, etc).

    While I don't mind sharing the story, it still creeped me out that he bothered to google map my address.

    I'm not worried about people coming here - I have security cameras and a .38 special ready to greet nutjobs But I do like keeping my business and personal life separate to some degree...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1836422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Aj Wilson
      I'd recommend a P.O. Box, with a generic business name,
      i.e. "YourMarketingCompany.com"

      and as Discrat mentioned, your personal privacy is more important
      than "MAYBE" a little bit more trust with your good customers...

      Because there seems to be just as many, if not more,
      "sinister" people out there, hunting for personal info for ID Fraud etc.

      Which can land you in a lot more dramas than a few extra bucks
      in your pockets.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1836620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DamianLeon
    I believe it's entirely justified and smart for someone who wants to build a large business and list online to be able to give an administrative address instead of their "home" address- Part of it is this, is your business a "work at home job" or will it become an entity which serves people, separate from You, and having a life of it's own- then it makes even more sense, doesn't it
    Signature
    Grab Your FREE Step-By-Step Video Internet Marketing Training Here!! Enjoy :) -
    Click Here Now To Download Yours!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1836717].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TCrosby
    Can I get some examples of prices for doing this?

    I'm about to launch my first site with a list any just became aware of this :/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1869962].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TCrosby
    Anybody help?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1873793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vitaly Makarkin
    Can anybody recommend some "virtual post address" service for NON-US residents?
    Signature

    Best Regards,
    Vitaly Makarkin (like)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1878022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dageniusmarketer
    Is there a way in Aweber to have multiple addresses for multiple lists?

    As I have several websites in several niches, I dont want all my lists to have the same address every time a message goes out.

    Please let me know
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .X.
    Navin Johnson lives!

    Be sure to remove your address from
    the phone book too.

    The world is full of crazies!!

    Wackos!!

    Murderous loonies!!

    I've sent millions of emails. I've had
    one "crazy" show up at my door - to
    buy a $1200 info product.

    Yeah, I was surprised but it was
    kinda cool too. Not nearly as bad as
    being followed into the men's room.

    I think he was impressed I actually
    do wear shorts and a t-shirt to work.

    Or maybe it was the half-dozen
    bikini clad women who happened to
    be washing my 'ghini when he pulled
    up.

    Hard to say.

    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author .X.
    You want Frank Kern's address?

    I'm going to create a new product;
    Google Maps to the Gurus Homes

    Frank's never invited me to go
    surfing, so screw 'm.

    ;-)

    X
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1989571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dageniusmarketer
    can anyone answer my question?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1990127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Ranger
    You should work for the CIA on the Bin Laden videos
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1991021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ezinerebel
      Hi -

      Usually I remain in the background and just read the posts.

      Lots of the comments are interesting and most are good points - from both sides of the fence as it were, but I wonder if anyone has experienced the same as I have, on more than one occassion.

      I have several times changed my address in the Global Settings on Aweber, but I have always received a written warning from the Aweber staff and they have ALWAYS taken the liberty of re-instating my home address details.

      As I live in Scandinavia, how can I get a US PO box address or any other.

      I would assume Aweber can see from my IP address that it was fake, even though
      my intentions are well meant, as per the opinions of one side of the discussion.

      Thanks for reading and best wishes to all.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1996089].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Vitaly Makarkin
        Originally Posted by ezinerebel View Post

        Hi -

        Usually I remain in the background and just read the posts.

        Lots of the comments are interesting and most are good points - from both sides of the fence as it were, but I wonder if anyone has experienced the same as I have, on more than one occassion.

        I have several times changed my address in the Global Settings on Aweber, but I have always received a written warning from the Aweber staff and they have ALWAYS taken the liberty of re-instating my home address details.

        As I live in Scandinavia, how can I get a US PO box address or any other.

        I would assume Aweber can see from my IP address that it was fake, even though
        my intentions are well meant, as per the opinions of one side of the discussion.

        Thanks for reading and best wishes to all.
        Hello ezinerebel,

        You can registred US PO BOX as well as US Mail Address using the Virtual Service. I made topic about this ones (http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/195964-best-virtual-mailing-company-us-non-us-residents.html), but actually it received not a lot of replies =)

        In my opinion promoting product for US market is better put in the your signuture of your e-mails US address or PO BOX. Again in my opinion people trust more who live in their country, but again it depends from a lot of factors
        Signature

        Best Regards,
        Vitaly Makarkin (like)

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2015894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webzsoft
    Agreed, I don't really like the fact that my address is there for everyone to see.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webzsoft
    I think many people put a false address. I would think that some the more popular people who work from home would do this to prevent problems
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
    If you advertise to people in some US states, and use a PO Box address, you must also list the physical address of the business.

    I found this for California:

    "Disclosure of legal name and street address - Generally, a business that uses a post office box, mail drop, or telephone answering service to advertise the sale of consumer goods or services must include in the advertisement its legal name and the complete street address where the business is actually operated. (B&P Code ยง17538.5)"

    As I recall, Utah may be another one, and I suspect there are now several more.

    :-Don
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2016389].message }}

Trending Topics