I was happily selling the course for $29 (before s&h)...
Conversion rate was ~1% - nothing to call home about I know,
but It was good, because the whole thing was nearly 90% automated and stable.
I was getting like ~8,000 visitors per month - all targeted of course.
So... it's an average of 80-90 orders per month.
50% of the traffic was from organic search results...
50% was via PPC...
Now... at some point, I "realized" that i FORGOT to test many
factors in that website!
I concentrated a lot on making the product itself, and outsourcing the delivery..etc...
But i didn't test different headlines, different designs, different sales letters... and different price points!
The easiest thing to change was... the price tag!
I logged into my account, and simply changed the price from $29 to $39
Orders did NOT decrease (during 1 month, compared to the previous month before the change)..
I didn't change anything else:
the sales letter is still the same,
the auto responders are still the same
the design is still the same.
the traffic sources are exactly the same.
the traffic volume remained the same.
I counted the number of orders... since starting the website, till the price change... it was exactly 326
This means that I simply lost $10 per order ($3,260)
BUT... I LEARNED A BIG LESSON!
Split testing is not less important than any other step of product developing...
I'm now nearly sure that I will increase the conversion rate by testing other headlines, other autoresponder messages, other intervals, other designs...etc..
Well, just wanted to share a story & a hard learned lesson