Help! How did YOU build your list from scratch??

17 replies
Hey warriors,

I've just finished a "niche marketing" IM product and want to build my list fast...(don't we all?)

Can you share some tips with me?

I've created a couple free reports...would you do a "FREE WSO" here with those reports? Or just a thread with the free report?

How about emailing people in the niche? I'm thinking of emailing a bunch of people with a basic..."will you hit your list" email (obviously in more tasteful wording).

I'll crank out a bunch of articles to my squeeze page, but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. What really got you from just a couple of sign ups a day to building your list substantially?

Thanks for your input!

Jeff

P.S. I might as well ask it :rolleyes:! If you would like to help promote my product, you can check out the web page in my sig- "Commission Jackpot". PM me if you're interested.
#build #list #scratch
  • Profile picture of the author Sam Mlambo
    1. Offer your free WSO but always let people know they'll have to opt into your list. Make sure to convey benefits of being on your list.

    2. Purchase solo mailing/ezine advertising from other people who have list in your niche. Drive that traffic to your squeeze page/sale page. You can also do adswaps with people who have similar list size as you.

    3. Keep cranking out the articles to get organic traffic to your squeeze page

    4. Sell an offer with WSO then build your list on the backend

    5. If you have the budget, use a pay-per-click search engine to drive traffic to your squeeze page

    6. Create profiles in forums in your niche, then have your sig be a link to your squeeze page.

    7. Rent an email list, mail the people on the list to go your squeeze page

    9. Look into integrating your marketing with other internet marketers. Ie your product/free report gets advertised on someone else's OTO/thank you/download page. And you do the same for them.

    10. Start an affiliate program. Attract affiliates to drive traffic to your squeeze page.

    11. Purchase a popular video from youtube that's related to your niche. Put your squeeze page link in descrip box, and also advertise with annotations option.

    Essentially, think about what internet marketing methods work best for you. Then use those methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page.

    It pays to think outside the box too. You can even try using offline marketing methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page ie print marketing/advertising, word of mouth networking, etc

    Hope that helps

    - Sam
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1934299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JRCarson
      Originally Posted by Sam Mlambo View Post

      1. Offer your free WSO but always let people know they'll have to opt into your list. Make sure to convey benefits of being on your list.

      2. Purchase solo mailing/ezine advertising from other people who have list in your niche. Drive that traffic to your squeeze page/sale page. You can also do adswaps with people who have similar list size as you.

      3. Keep cranking out the articles to get organic traffic to your squeeze page

      4. Sell an offer with WSO then build your list on the backend

      5. If you have the budget, use a pay-per-click search engine to drive traffic to your squeeze page

      6. Create profiles in forums in your niche, then have your sig be a link to your squeeze page.

      7. Rent an email list, mail the people on the list to go your squeeze page

      9. Look into integrating your marketing with other internet marketers. Ie your product/free report gets advertised on someone else's OTO/thank you/download page. And you do the same for them.

      10. Start an affiliate program. Attract affiliates to drive traffic to your squeeze page.

      11. Purchase a popular video from youtube that's related to your niche. Put your squeeze page link in descrip box, and also advertise with annotations option.

      Essentially, think about what internet marketing methods work best for you. Then use those methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page.

      It pays to think outside the box too. You can even try using offline marketing methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page ie print marketing/advertising, word of mouth networking, etc

      Hope that helps

      - Sam
      Thanks Sam, great tips there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1934316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dave Lianelli
    -Do Joint Ventures where others give away your report in return for affiliate commissions on future sales.

    -Buy PPC advertising on Google or for example FaceBook and keep split-testing your page.

    -Give away the report at GiveAway events.

    -Get others to do 'Integration Marketing' with you: they offer your free report on their ThankYou pages or as unannounced bonusses to their products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1934387].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JRCarson
      Thanks Dave...
      "-Do Joint Ventures where others give away your report in return for affiliate commissions on future sales."

      ...I'm confused at the logistics involved with this. How would you track this?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1934905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author drum.deborah
        Originally Posted by JRCarson View Post

        Thanks Dave...
        "-Do Joint Ventures where others give away your report in return for affiliate commissions on future sales."

        ...I'm confused at the logistics involved with this. How would you track this?

        Hey - how's the list building going? Are you using any of the above techniques? I would love to hear an update
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3689564].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yakim1
        Originally Posted by JRCarson View Post

        Thanks Dave...
        "-Do Joint Ventures where others give away your report in return for affiliate commissions on future sales."

        ...I'm confused at the logistics involved with this. How would you track this?
        An eazy way to do this if you don't have your own product would be to have the JV Partner promote your squeeze page, which gives away your reports, but redirect to a high commission rate affiliate product using the JV Partners affiliate link when the new subscriber submits the form on the squeeze page.

        You won't make any money on the sales of the product but you will build a list and it will not cost you anything. So you do all the work, the JV Partner mails and makes the profits.

        You get what you want, a list and the JV Partner makes the money.

        Steve Yakim
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690460].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yakim1
      You have to do a little thinking outside the box. Giveaways are a very quick way to build your list giving away your reports. There are anywhere from 10 to 20 giveaways each month.

      If you only average 30 opt-ins per giveaway you can build a list of 300 to 600 subscribers per month. But you should be building a second kind of list from these giveaways.

      The software used by most giveaways list all the support email addresses for each contributor in the giveaway. These contributor all have some kind of list and you can email them and ask them if you can put them on your JV Partner list.

      Put together a contest by asking 3 or 4 contributors to donate some really good products that will be given to 4 winners. The first 3 prizes will be from the other parnters in this venture and will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd, place.

      Now 4th place is a prize you will donate, which will be a package of your reports. Now, everyone will win the 4th place prize. So do it right and put your product recommendatios in all these reports and allow the winners to give the reports away. You can also make the reports brandable and charge a fee to allow them to brand the reports with their affiliate links.

      You can put the branding offer in each report.

      Each partner will then email to their list and tell them about the contest. All the partners will build their list because you will collect all the contestants' name and email address when they register to win the prizes and all the partners will receive the same list.

      I know this works because I have done this and built a list of over 22,000 opt-in subscribers in just 60 days. The name of my domain was...

      EveryoneWillWin.com

      I was interviewed by Joel Christopher on how I was able to do this. You can download and listen to this interview, which may give you more ideas at...

      How to Monetize Your Website For Free

      I did this twice for 30 days each to get that many subscribers. The more partners you can get to join in this contest the bigger the list you build will be. I have a bunch of ways that are a little different from the regular methods of list building.

      Once you get a small list you can begin doing ad swaps and instead of selling a product in the swap you give away your reports and build a list. You can also place classified ads to drive traffic to your squeeze pages.

      I hope this has been helpful,
      Steve Yakim
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690389].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin Riley
    Originally Posted by JRCarson View Post


    I've created a couple free reports...would you do a "FREE WSO" here with those reports? Or just a thread with the free report?
    I built my IM list here in spring 2007. I did not use free reports (freebie lists are minimally responsive). Instead, I built a loyal customer list by creating a series of overdelivering how-to guides and selling them underpriced in the WSO.
    Signature
    Kevin Riley, Kevin Riley Publishing, Osaka, Japan


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3689635].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
      Originally Posted by Kevin Riley View Post

      I did not use free reports (freebie lists are minimally responsive). Instead, I built a loyal customer list by creating a series of overdelivering how-to guides and selling them underpriced in the WSO.
      This FTW.

      I've tried JV giveaways and the standard free report squeeze page. Both sucked arse compared to a buyer list. I don't bother with free stuff anymore. Want on my list? Buy something.
      Signature
      "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freeiHelp
    Video Marketing! just posting videos everywhere!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giftys
    I built mine through giveaways, tips and friendly one-to-one conversation. I never make it salesy. Like a blog, keep it real and personal. If they like you, they'll be more inclined to join your list.
    Signature

    WWJD

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author misterkailo
    I say 95% of my list is built through forum marketing. I will start to put more time into article marketing, but have been hearing a lot of bad things about Ezinearticles
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daylynne
    HEY JR...
    And all you Warriors.. I JUST so happens... (lol)
    That I wrote a mini book on this exact subject..
    "15 ways to start your own mailing list from scratch"

    It takes into consideration that most ways to build your
    list -- are actually ways to ADD to your list.. but what's
    a newbie without even a list of 1 to do to get those first
    few important names? Well heres a start with 15 ways...

    Well here's my mini book answer... enjoy:
    15 Ways to Start Your Own Mailing List
    This is the download page... no strings attached...

    Any warriors who would like to join my list -- the blog
    below will work fine... :-)

    Daylynne :-)
    Signature
    Daylynne Starr
    Award Winning Author; Marketer; Launch JV; Affiliate, Mentor Coach, and Ecommerce sites. Just Google my name :-) Skype: Daylynnes -- tell me you are a Warrior.
    Contact: Daylynnes@Gmail.com
    http://DaylynnesBlog.com ~ For news and Freebies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690669].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coby
    When I first started building a list I didn't know anyone in the IM niche... then I found the WF...

    I used solo ads to quickly build my first 1000 subscribers. Then I just used adswaps in conjunction with solo ads and all the slow traffic methods (ie articles, blogging) and it just builds and builds and builds .....

    Good Luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketwarrior06
    Banned
    why only in Squidoo? use other sites too to publish tohse ideas. and emailing people in this niche will be just great. i think.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mahara Adhe
    I used a solo ad to begin building my list, as well as some scripts. I also setup a few different free opt-in pages, although I'm beginning to lean toward what other people are saying here. A buying customer will probably be a more profitable customer in the future than the freebie ones.
    Signature

    Build A List..3x Larger..3x Faster..On Autopilot!
    Click Here For More Info
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ToniMaltano
    When I want to give stuff away to build my list.. I never give it away for free
    Signature
    ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3690918].message }}

Trending Topics