Please critique my video.

32 replies
Hello fellow Warriors.

Can I just start by saying that I am not doing this to gain any sort of business from anyone here. I am merely looking for comments on the quality of what I am presenting from people who do this for a loving. That is all!

I have recently just released my very first product which is an album of instrumental backing tracks produced by myself for internet marketers to use in their demonstrations and presentations. Specifically sales orientated! Today I produced a very basic piece of video to try and help market the product.

I was wondering if I could get all of your opinions on the quality of the video and if you feel it delivers the message correctly. Would love to hear all of your professional opinions, good or bad!

The ULTIMATE Sales Pitch Music Package


Many thanks in advance!
#critique #video
  • Profile picture of the author mpeters7
    Looks good.

    I would move the URL in your description up to the top so that it's clickable without expanding the description. Also put the URL in a lower third throughout the whole video, and leave your call to action at the end up for 5-10 seconds at the end. This is all to make it easier to send them to your site.

    Also, your copy focuses a lot on features and not a whole lot on benefits. Try to find a way to connect your songs to the increased sales they'll bring. Or at least to an increase in the perceived value of a given product. (Which isn't easy with art-type stuff.) Marketers are focused on their bottom line, not on how good their music sounds.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author msfunding
      Originally Posted by mpeters7 View Post

      Looks good.
      Also, your copy focuses a lot on features and not a whole lot on benefits. Try to find a way to connect your songs to the increased sales they'll bring. Or at least to an increase in the perceived value of a given product. (Which isn't easy with art-type stuff.) Marketers are focused on their bottom line, not on how good their music sounds.

      I agree with this, I want benefits & perceived value and I don't get touch much of that with this video... Love some of the tracks though..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969842].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
        You are missing a couple of key elements.

        The four questions to answer in these types of videos are:

        Who are you
        What do you have
        Why do I need it
        How do I get it.

        I see #2 and 4 clearly.

        I would have added something about "pro backing tracks" - like your company has been in business for x years or is the provider of quality backtrack music used by professionals in the industry. Something about the company.

        On the why do I need it, you could have some bullets like
        • No need to pay hundreds for just one quality song
        • Not the same crap everyone else uses
        • Stop wasting time trying to figure out garage band
        • Get quality music on your videos in seconds flat

        you get the idea.

        A couple more slides in there may help as right now you do have a bit of a lull that almost put me to sleep.
        Signature

        "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969877].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author George Benson
        Looking at your video as a buyer of audio I am naturally going to critique the audio even though you are asking for video critique:

        1. Audio was pleasant sort of elevator music and just the one track.
        2. No voice over. I found myself reading a little only when the video changed and all I recall is that the fee is 3.00 per track. Additionally you are selling "backing tracks" but they are not backing a voice for me to determine what kind of presentation that track works well with.
        3. No credibility. I did not notice anything that tells me why your tracks are great. There was no sampling of them in the video. There was no way to tell who I'm dealing with -- is it a high school kid with a new synthesizer or a pro musician with a track record of producing hit jingles?

        4. Left on its own backing nothing but text I found the tempo slow. I think you have to demonstrate what kind of voice over, content, tempo, pitch, and cadence of voice, goes with that backing track to sell the music the way you imagined it when you wrote it.

        I realize that by visiting your site I could search around and perhaps find the answers but you need to give me a taste in the video so that I'll want to. If I was shopping for backing tracks from you I'd need to see and hear in the video:

        1. What makes your tracks different and better?
        2. Why should I stop looking at ads and visit your site?
        3. Why I should I continue watching the video? (currently there is really no story pulling me forward)
        4. I want somebody talking to me convincing me that I'll make better sales videos with your product -- I need to know why you're better and how that will make me better.
        5. While I care about what I'm getting for my money I care more about what your tracks will do for me. Will they make it easier for me to produce great videos because they are inspiring? Will they make me sound like a pro because the music is so awesome? What kind of split testing has been done with the tracks and what were the results?

        The first listen had only one backing track but 5 minutes later you'd changed the track to put more samples in -- probably due to suggestions in this thread that you show more variety. My thoughts on that:

        1. You're using exactly the same synth sound for each of the tracks in the video -- mostly just varying the drum kit in the background. I'm imagining myself making videos and hearing that sound over and over no matter what track I'm using. I can already see myself tearing my hair out.
        2. Essentially the keyboard style of every track you used in the video is the same musician playing all the keyboard parts. While that's ok it's bland -- it even raises the question --- is he/she just using midi -- maybe no keyboard at all -- maybe its just a computerized midi package. Why don't I just buy some sequencing software and a couple Acid packs -- with a truckload of templates and crank out unlimited backing tracks of my own?

        These are the questions that are in peoples minds as they go a-buying. Having people think this while they listen only to the backing track during the sales presentation -- can be avoided by having a voice over message that the music complements and drives home. Prospects are then less inclined to listen to your tracks critically and absorb the full experience. This makes them think more about what you are saying than what you are playing. Isn't that the objective?

        Also with the raft of video production courses out there now -- telling everyone how to produce the same quality of music you've shown us so far -- you've got an uphill battle ahead of you to differentiate yourself suitably to get people buying from you. But you seem to have put some thought into your web site (clean and easy on the eye) so I'm guessing you'll tackle these issues and produce a compelling sales video.

        Just another thought -- why not get your sister to record some of the drum tracks instead of using that drum machine? Or maybe consult with her for ideas on how to give the drums a more live feel?

        PS. You're selling music not silence. Why does the video begin silent?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1970042].message }}
        • Originally Posted by George Benson View Post

          Looking at your video as a buyer of audio I am naturally going to critique the audio even though you are asking for video critique:

          1. Audio was pleasant sort of elevator music and just the one track.
          2. No voice over. I found myself reading a little only when the video changed and all I recall is that the fee is 3.00 per track. Additionally you are selling "backing tracks" but they are not backing a voice for me to determine what kind of presentation that track works well with.
          3. No credibility. I did not notice anything that tells me why your tracks are great. There was no sampling of them in the video. There was no way to tell who I'm dealing with -- is it a high school kid with a new synthesizer or a pro musician with a track record of producing hit jingles?

          4. Left on its own backing nothing but text I found the tempo slow. I think you have to demonstrate what kind of voice over, content, tempo, pitch, and cadence of voice, goes with that backing track to sell the music the way you imagined it when you wrote it.

          I realize that by visiting your site I could search around and perhaps find the answers but you need to give me a taste in the video so that I'll want to. If I was shopping for backing tracks from you I'd need to see and hear in the video:

          1. What makes your tracks different and better?
          2. Why should I stop looking at ads and visit your site?
          3. Why I should I continue watching the video? (currently there is really no story pulling me forward)
          4. I want somebody talking to me convincing me that I'll make better sales videos with your product -- I need to know why you're better and how that will make me better.
          5. While I care about what I'm getting for my money I care more about what your tracks will do for me. Will they make it easier for me to produce great videos because they are inspiring? Will they make me sound like a pro because the music is so awesome? What kind of split testing has been done with the tracks and what were the results?

          The first listen had only one backing track but 5 minutes later you'd changed the track to put more samples in -- probably due to suggestions in this thread that you show more variety. My thoughts on that:

          1. You're using exactly the same synth sound for each of the tracks in the video -- mostly just varying the drum kit in the background. I'm imagining myself making videos and hearing that sound over and over no matter what track I'm using. I can already see myself tearing my hair out.
          2. Essentially the keyboard style of every track you used in the video is the same musician playing all the keyboard parts. While that's ok it's bland -- it even raises the question --- is he/she just using midi -- maybe no keyboard at all -- maybe its just a computerized midi package. Why don't I just buy some sequencing software and a couple Acid packs -- with a truckload of templates and crank out unlimited backing tracks of my own?

          These are the questions that are in peoples minds as they go a-buying. Having people think this while they listen only to the backing track during the sales presentation -- can be avoided by having a voice over message that the music complements and drives home. Prospects are then less inclined to listen to your tracks critically and absorb the full experience. This makes them think more about what you are saying than what you are playing. Isn't that the objective?

          Also with the raft of video production courses out there now -- telling everyone how to produce the same quality of music you've shown us so far -- you've got an uphill battle ahead of you to differentiate yourself suitably to get people buying from you. But you seem to have put some thought into your web site (clean and easy on the eye) so I'm guessing you'll tackle these issues and produce a compelling sales video.

          Just another thought -- why not get your sister to record some of the drum tracks instead of using that drum machine? Or maybe consult with her for ideas on how to give the drums a more live feel?

          PS. You're selling music not silence. Why does the video begin silent?
          Wow... Sounds like I am dealing with the Quincy Jones of Warrior Forum here!!!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1978798].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Marty S
            Originally Posted by Pro-Backing-Tracks View Post

            Wow... Sounds like I am dealing with the Quincy Jones of Warrior Forum here!!!
            Uhhh... You asked for feedback though and GB over-delivered. You should probably thank him.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980603].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
              The video is ok but you did a giant faux pas-- you have a sales video without a voice telling me what benefits I can receive from your product.

              I know it's "fashionable" at the moment to have "voiceless" sales videos but from what I've done and seen they don't work as well as having an actual human voice.

              Just my .02

              Kevin
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980732].message }}
            • Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

              Uhhh... You asked for feedback though and GB over-delivered. You should probably thank him.
              Actually... I only asked for comments on the video not the audio.

              I find it very amusing how most people on here can talk a good game with regards to making music but have never played a note in their lives. Also find it amusing when I offer something for free it's the best thing since sliced bread but when I stick a price tag on it and try to make some fruits from my labor that it instantly becomes "dreary" or "repetitive."

              That being said though, Ill be sure to take all of these criticisms into perspective...
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983450].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kelly Verge
                Originally Posted by Pro-Backing-Tracks View Post

                Actually... I only asked for comments on the video not the audio.

                I find it very amusing how most people on here can talk a good game with regards to making music but have never played a note in their lives. Also find it amusing when I offer something for free it's the best thing since sliced bread but when I stick a price tag on it and try to make some fruits from my labor that it instantly becomes "dreary" or "repetitive."

                That being said though, Ill be sure to take all of these criticisms into perspective...

                You're getting feedback from your target market. That's priceless - especially at an early stage in your efforts.

                Your video looks similar in style to most of the other backing track videos I browsed through on YouTube.

                Concerning your audio, keep in mind that these guys are your competition: Popular Files - AudioJungle.

                $3 for yours vs $12 for theirs. From a buyer's perspective is there more than $9 of difference between their music and yours? I think so.

                I've never played a note in my life, nor did I download or comment on your free track(s). That said, I'd buy tracks from AudioJungle if I needed background tracks. Their music sounds pretty good to my admittedly untrained ears. You'll probably need to raise the bar a bit to compete, even at your price point.


                (We're not attacking you or your music.)
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983564].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Marty S
                Originally Posted by Pro-Backing-Tracks View Post

                Actually... I only asked for comments on the video not the audio.
                This is kind of difficult to separate, no? :confused:

                Originally Posted by Pro-Backing-Tracks View Post

                I find it very amusing how most people on here can talk a good game with regards to making music but have never played a note in their lives.
                I cannot play, but yes, I can certainly judge the effectiveness of a soundtrack on my videos, and if you want the brutal bottom line > I can whip up a unique combination GarageBand loops in 20 minutes (yes, done this) that would carry an entire video series for me and CRUSH your elevator tune in that video.

                Anyway, best of luck with that.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983982].message }}
                • Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

                  This is kind of difficult to separate, no? :confused:



                  I cannot play, but yes, I can certainly judge the effectiveness of a soundtrack on my videos, and if you want the brutal bottom line > I can whip up a unique combination GarageBand loops in 20 minutes (yes, done this) that would carry an entire video series for me and CRUSH your elevator tune in that video.

                  Anyway, best of luck with that.
                  Has anyone ever told you that you have a HELL of an attitude? Might want to see about changing that there...

                  Like I said, if people want to use looped crap then that's their call! To be honest, if I wasent offering it for free none of you would be interested, its as simple as that!
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983999].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author George Benson
            Originally Posted by Pro-Backing-Tracks View Post

            Wow... Sounds like I am dealing with the Quincy Jones of Warrior Forum here!!!
            LOL. Hey man sorry if I gave you too much to chew on. Read it again after a day or two. I think you can do this -- but you've got to ask yourself -- how badly do you want to succeed?

            You've got some great feedback to work with from everyone that posted. The bottom line is we all want to see each other succeed. If you want people to post things that make you feel good -- then there are two ways (maybe more) to engineer it:

            1. React badly when you get less than outstanding accolades -- and after a while the only responses you'll get are going to be complimentary ones -- but you'll be wondering why you are not making money. However only those who tell you what you want to hear will be responding.

            2. Determine if the information is true -- even if unpleasant. If it is then use it to improve what you are doing so that you make outstanding stuff -- and you'll have a lot of raving fans that buy your stuff and tell you not only what you want to hear -- but deserve to hear.

            Remember you are competing against large stock sites out there with huge inventories -- you've got to have something distinctively better -- both with your product and your sales pitch -- to take their business away. You can do it can't you?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980739].message }}
  • Thanks Mike. Good points you make there. I will be sure to work on this!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969672].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lee Wilson
    Just an observation - the video looks good but might be worth making the audio start immediately, for the first five seconds I was thinking my sound was muted. Also, the audio examples might benefit from changing quicker, pack some more genres in there, the entire video seemed to be stuck on one style of backing track (even when it changed) which might not be everyones favourite choice. A lot of the sales videos you see tend to have fast driving intros. I didn't feel like you were offering much variety.

    Lee
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969737].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      When it gets to this bit in the video, excess of 40meg and the rest of the page, it lingers to long, I sat there thinking, read that... is that it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969755].message }}
      • Originally Posted by butters View Post

        When it gets to this bit in the video, excess of 40meg and the rest of the page, it lingers to long, I sat there thinking, read that... is that it.
        Was intended so the audio examples could be played out. Thanks for your comment anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1969777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mpeters7
    One more thing -

    If you're trying to highlight the tracks without lingering too much on one slide, why not get some stock footage of waveforms jumping around? That would key the listener to listen, while keep the motion active.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1970060].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author George Benson
      Originally Posted by mpeters7 View Post

      One more thing -

      If you're trying to highlight the tracks without lingering too much on one slide, why not get some stock footage of waveforms jumping around? That would key the listener to listen, while keep the motion active.
      IMO motion doesn't sell anything. Message sells. If the motion does not enhance the message -- it's just a distraction.

      The best way to use waveforms is to burst waveforms of the voice over when you want to draw extr attention to what is spoken -- that attracts attention to the message if it is in perfect sync with the voice. Waveforms will not make me want to read text -- but will most likely draw my eye away from the text.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1970234].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mpeters7
        Originally Posted by George Benson View Post

        IMO motion doesn't sell anything. Message sells. If the motion does not enhance the message -- it's just a distraction.

        The best way to use waveforms is to display waveforms of the voice over -- that attracts attention to the message if it is in perfect sync with the voice. Waveforms will not make me want to read text -- but will most likely draw my eye away from the text.
        You're right, message sells. But if he needs to spend a few moments highlighting the song in the video, he needs to give people something to look at.

        I guess he'd be better off just talking about benefits and put some samples on the site not in the video.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1970253].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Marty S
          Yeah. This is a do-over.

          The music you used (trying to sell) was rather dreary as well. Sorry.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1970684].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author George Benson
          Originally Posted by mpeters7 View Post

          You're right, message sells. But if he needs to spend a few moments highlighting the song in the video, he needs to give people something to look at.
          Hey don't get me wrong -- I liked your suggestion. I think it was on the right track... remember the twilight zone? Waveforms were used very effectively to enhance voice. It worked (and has been copied by others may times) for a couple reasons I can think of:

          a)you saw only a black screen and the wave form -- accentuating the voice. It made the voice seem to grab all of your attention.
          b)It was not over used.
          c)It was a stark image that did only one thing -- make the voice visual. I did not draw attention to itself but to the voice.

          I did not mean to sound like your idea should be scrapped. Just used to enhance voice instead of text.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1972215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LiamMcIvorMartin
    I think you should be talking throughout the entire video. People like to be spoken to. What I think you should really do is just split test a bunch of different vids on your sales page. Easiest solution IMO.
    Signature

    In Times Of Change, Learners Inherit The Earth

    Liam McIvor Martin

    Outsourced Facebook Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1971201].message }}
  • I wonder what the reaction would be if I was to offer it for free???
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983495].message }}
  • I beg to differ. Regarding your "fraudsters" your more likely to find them operating on sites such as the one you mentioned. If you want to pay $12 a pop for looped crap then be my guest! I have been down that road before and have seen many a user profiting from this and to be honest, I am better than that. Hence this attempt to set up with the help of a very helpful IM'er.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983610].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Wilson
      Wow, you should have said your request for critique was conditional, no-one need bothered. :rolleyes:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983715].message }}
      • Originally Posted by L Wilson View Post

        Wow, you should have said your request for critique was conditional, no-one need bothered. :rolleyes:
        What and that makes me egotistical because I have self belief?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1983769].message }}
  • No I know what the bottom line is, and it's this forum full of freeloaders in all honesty! When I offered free tracks to everyone, it was the best thing anyone had ever heard! Now when I am trying to earn a bit of money from my hard work it suddenly just does not cut it! Funny that isent it!?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1984022].message }}
  • Does it really matter what I put in my sig to be honest? Even if it does say FREE!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1984050].message }}
  • Well I thought it would of been blatantly obvious to be honest with you.

    The first is looking for comments regarding the VIDEO not the audio or product itself, if I wanted that I would of asked for it! But I will take it regardless.

    The second is just as a general over view of how I regard the people who use this forum. If it isent free, know one is really bothered what you have to offer!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1984064].message }}

Trending Topics