Would You Spent 2-3 Days On A Video Like This?

39 replies
The video was made in After Effects and including rendering in HD, took between 2-3 days.

Do you think it's a waste of time doing something like this or was it time well spent?

I'm not 100% sure I'll do more in the future

It has been distributed with Traffic Geyser and videos have ranked well, but the product has just been released so I can't give results as of yet.

Anyway here it is:

Youtube Video
#days #spent #video
  • Profile picture of the author Marty S
    Hi Steve.

    I WOULD spend 2-3 days, even more - IF I was selling video creation services. However, for article marketing I would totally stick to screen capture videos and produce three of them in the same time you spent on this.

    I was more interested in the effects of the video, than the content TBH, but really nice job with AE though. It is a program on my list to learn and incorporate into my videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andy Money
    I think it's worth it but then again I love these kinds of videos :/ So I'm biased.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RGallowitz
    Yeah the effects are great, but it takes the attention away from the content.
    If i could create video affects like that with ease, I would be using those types of videos on my sales pages, affiliate signup pages, squeeze page etc...
    Signature
    Make INSANE money by promoting PHYSICAL affiliate products.
    The one and only "GALLO Affiliate System" -
    >> Click Here! <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980677].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Global365
      Hi Steve,

      Nice job on the video but I think the message gets conflicted between the effects and the message. Most after effects trailers like that just use text to bring a point across and your graphics and message get lost in the visual effects....

      Nice job though...2-3 days, I feel your pain ;-) I do editing too and its tedious..

      Keep up the good work

      Barry
      Signature


      Collection Agency Harassment STOPS NOW! 100% Effective!, GUARANTEED!
      The Master Key System MP3 Audio Course"
      Like Tools? Harbor Freight Coupon
      Learn Camtasia Online Cheap Camtasia Video Tutorials
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theimdude
        Your video is nice but overkill for you product. I would rather spend the time doing a few other videos.

        As for you sales page a bit confusing as on the page where you can get the trial it states the full version comes with 1000 directories but on the final sales page you say 700 directories

        I am not sure what the monthly fee is for as you buy the software but what are you paying for monthly.?
        Signature
        Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
        [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

        CLICK HERE NOW
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980731].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
          Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

          Your video is nice but overkill for you product. I would rather spend the time doing a few other videos.

          As for you sales page a bit confusing as on the page where you can get the trial it states the full version comes with 1000 directories but on the final sales page you say 700 directories

          I am not sure what the monthly fee is for as you buy the software but what are you paying for monthly.?
          Hi,

          Firstly the product isn't mine, I was merely a beta tester for it. i liked it and decided to promote it.

          The product is very new, released on clickbank a few days ago and since i had previously stated, the number of directorys it submits to has increased.

          Seeing as I didn't get the message accross well in the video (my fault) I'll try to explain what AMR does.

          It signs up to article directorys (1253 at time of writing) and then confirms your emails.

          You then spin your article within the software into however many you need (better than the best spinner too but I'm probably biased)

          Then you select the article directorys you wish to submit to, usually all 1253 of them, and tell the software how many/hour you wish to schedule for submission.

          Hope that clears some of the concerns you had..
          Signature
          "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980789].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Popstar
            Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

            Hi,

            Firstly the product isn't mine, I was merely a beta tester for it. i liked it and decided to promote it.

            The product is very new, released on clickbank a few days ago and since i had previously stated, the number of directorys it submits to has increased.

            Seeing as I didn't get the message accross well in the video (my fault) I'll try to explain what AMR does.

            It signs up to article directorys (1253 at time of writing) and then confirms your emails.

            You then spin your article within the software into however many you need (better than the best spinner too but I'm probably biased)

            Then you select the article directorys you wish to submit to, usually all 1253 of them, and tell the software how many/hour you wish to schedule for submission.

            Hope that clears some of the concerns you had..
            I didn't realize exactly what the product did until you explained it in the post quoted above. I guess my attention was tuned more to the effects than the message.

            Your video's effects were nice, but they didn't sell... either the product or a click to find out more about it.

            So on that basis, I don't think the video worked.

            But if I were you, I'd look at it as a learning experience. No matter what you do, even just a 25-character Adwords title, it may or may not work.

            You've tested it, the response appears to be largely negative, so it's time to try again.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1986300].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KEY
      I have to honestly say that the video does NOT make me
      want to go to your review site...

      just too much flash and no real content that tells me WHY
      I just have to have this product. most people are interested in
      saving time & still achieving quality (or fantastic) results.
      maybe it would be better to have a video showing the amount
      of time spent on the 'old' way versus how little time would be
      spent (saved) if using this product?

      KEY (eric)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980733].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
        Special effects should accentuate the video, not comprise the majority of its content. As it is, I don't feel the video's content is substantive and it looks like you're trying to wow me with special effects rather than to wow me with what you are advertising, which I've already forgotten though I still remember the effects.

        If you get your message and content to be more substantive and then use the special effects to draw me in and add polish to your presentation, that would be better. Worth 2-3 days of work? Hard to tell. You'd have to determine that yourself by testing. How much of that is hands-on and how much of that is rendering time? Once you've done testing, you can determine its value better. If it's one-day of hands-on work and two days of rendering, that can be resolved by getting an extra machine just used for rendering. Or maybe you could speed things up by setting up a rendering farm. If you can be working on the next video while the other computer renders the previous video, then you've got a workflow you might be able to live with.
        Signature

        Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

        Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980806].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary King
    Hey Steve,

    Seems like a lot of work - the message is lost as @Global365 says.

    The keywords that fly in and out are cropped a bit on top and bottom and the highlights on them make them hard to read from time to time.

    It does look nice, don't get me wrong, it's just that the effects are the main thing here vs the message of the vid.

    Nice work, but keep the message in the foreground.
    Signature

    ===========================
    OFFLINERS! Warning: Unless You Know These Pricing Secrets, You are Leaving THOUSANDS on the Table. Get Your Free Report Now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    Thanks all - definately something I HAVE taken on board. Nice to get people's perspectives on what in essence, is being advertised.

    Also thx for the compliments.
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

    Do you think it's a waste of time doing something like this or was it time well spent?
    How long would it take you to change the text and screenshots, so it's about a different product? Or a different aspect of the same product?

    How much faster could you make the same video, or one much like it? If somebody came to you and waved some money, saying "I want a video just like that, except with a heavy metal soundtrack, triangles instead of circles around the screenshots, demons instead of robots, and I want the particle effects to be electric blue instead of gold" - how long would that take you?

    More to the point: how many times can you reuse that initial investment of 2-3 days?
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      How long would it take you to change the text and screenshots, so it's about a different product? Or a different aspect of the same product?

      How much faster could you make the same video, or one much like it? If somebody came to you and waved some money, saying "I want a video just like that, except with a heavy metal soundtrack, triangles instead of circles around the screenshots, demons instead of robots, and I want the particle effects to be electric blue instead of gold" - how long would that take you?

      More to the point: how many times can you reuse that initial investment of 2-3 days?

      Yeh true, its the rendering thats the killer.. took me about 20 hours?

      Although based on the feedback, id maybe go for something less flashy if i did another video lol

      But i guess learning from experience is what it's about right?
      Signature
      "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980794].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
        Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

        Although based on the feedback, id maybe go for something less flashy if i did another video lol
        I'd do videos like this for a different reason. Like to generate buzz for a launch. A theme song, a recogniseable intro, these things matter. Something like this would make a GREAT first thirty seconds for the videos in the pre-launch free line of a $2,500 product. So that 2-3 days would be spread out over a couple dozen videos, and rapidly become worth it.

        For a teaser video, I think this is a bad use of time. But if you chopped this video into two halves, put a screencast or talking-head in the middle discussing some specific task you can do with the software, and stuck a price tag on making a video just like it for someone else... I think those days were well-spent.

        Right now, I don't have a product high-ticket enough for this treatment, but if I did I'd be PMing you madly and waving money at you.
        Signature
        "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980825].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
          Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

          I'd do videos like this for a different reason. Like to generate buzz for a launch. A theme song, a recogniseable intro, these things matter. Something like this would make a GREAT first thirty seconds for the videos in the pre-launch free line of a $2,500 product. So that 2-3 days would be spread out over a couple dozen videos, and rapidly become worth it.

          For a teaser video, I think this is a bad use of time. But if you chopped this video into two halves, put a screencast or talking-head in the middle discussing some specific task you can do with the software, and stuck a price tag on making a video just like it for someone else... I think those days were well-spent.

          Right now, I don't have a product high-ticket enough for this treatment, but if I did I'd be PMing you madly and waving money at you.
          Yeah definately. I kind of new this even when I was making the video, maybe i just wanted to make one i'm not sure lol.

          I think because i wanted to convey information rather than generate hype, i should have as you suggested, not have contradicted that goal by using flashy effects.

          Its not perfect by any means but i'll use what i now know if needed for future stuff.
          Signature
          "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kelly Verge
    If you did it to learn After Effects, it wasn't wasted time.

    As others have said, that type of video would be great as an intro - even used as an intro to different segments of video-based training.

    It could also work for a product launch - perhaps with a stronger music theme.

    Here's one of mine that's all text.


    I'm no AE "wiz," but it can be worth learning, depending on your goals.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1980905].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eflo
      Kelly that was a brilliant all text video. Could use a little sprucing up on the pace I think, but all in all genius idea. Thanks for sharing your video.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981447].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eflo
      @Steve, the video has to tell a stronger story though. Not just flash the fancy bullet points. Give people a story and a "What's in it for me?" type of reason to want to check it out. Even a cheeky joke or two and a lure to get them in to find out more.

      Not to slam your video, but it's all in the learning process. The video effects have to add value to what you're bringing to the table, not be the main course of the pitch. Someone who has AWESOME ridiculous story telling videos are the ones like Frank Kern uses in his stuff. It's not super high tech a lot of the time, but damned if his stories aren't amusing and inspirational enough to get people to buy a big expensive product.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981454].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mpeters7
    Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

    The video was made in After Effects and including rendering in HD, took between 2-3 days.
    Nice! Does 2-3 days include all the particle designing and rendering, or just composting pre-rendered particles with video and text?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicholas Kemp
    WOW! I guess your results will tell you if it is worth it. I think a problem could be that video impresses me more that the actual content. The video is totally awesome, but kind of too dramatic for what you are marketing.
    I want to watch the video again because it looks cool not because I am impressed with the software. I am sure the the software is very good, but that doesn't come across in the video.

    With so many people using video now you could provide a customized service or teach people how to make great videos.
    Signature

    Helping Japanese communicate with the world - 英会話教材

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Troy_Phillips
    Honestly I think anyone experienced in article marketing , especially SEO style marketing, will understand exactly what you have to offer here .

    Two thumbs(and pinkies) up :-)
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981507].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author randalblanchette
    Lots of flash and bang but you still have to deliver on WIIFM in a compelling way. I just did not get that impression, sorry
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981534].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    Ouch, tough crowd! lol

    I agree with most of you to be honest but next time i'll just make sure my style fits the goal.
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981801].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author topproto
    i liked the video, maybe you could offer services making videos like this for people
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author juniorbiz
    Definitely do it for product launches for intros or endings, maybe even promo vids but you don't want to distract the person for too long, maybe around 10-15 seconds, or even less.

    You really want to sell the product or service, not your flashy (I love it though) video. Your videos might do really well with movie promos or something related to that, that'd be pretty cool.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    I think you pretty much said it junior, it was distracting.

    Onwards and upwards though eh? lol

    Definately check out the software though, I think the fact the video is obviously taking away from what the product is, is almost unfair.
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author juniorbiz
      Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

      I think you pretty much said it junior, it was distracting.

      Onwards and upwards though eh? lol

      Definately check out the software though, I think the fact the video is obviously taking away from what the product is, is almost unfair.
      Haha agreed, there probably is a balance between the cool animations and the content, you just have to figure it out. And I've definintely tried out After Effects before, but man I found it amazingly HARD. I gave up like a year ago, but still love what you can do with it.

      I'm pretty sure Andy Jenkins used it for Video 1 on his prelaunch for Video Boss; buncha flashy animations for a couple of seconds, followed by some serious content. If your a big video wiz like him you could probably make some pretty cool vids that are informative and entertaining at the same time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author debra
    Well...I Loved It!

    If you could cut the presentation in two and in the middle add a narrative to it on the product...It Would Really Rock.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981877].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Troyer
    Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

    The video was made in After Effects and including rendering in HD, took between 2-3 days.

    Do you think it's a waste of time doing something like this or was it time well spent?

    I'm not 100% sure I'll do more in the future

    It has been distributed with Traffic Geyser and videos have ranked well, but the product has just been released so I can't give results as of yet.

    Anyway here it is:

    Youtube Video
    It's nice....but I didn't learn anything from it, and it does not really make me want to buy.

    Instead, I would focus my time on videos something like this that is very fast pace and very informative: Tube Toolbox

    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1981916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michele Buch
    Excellent job on the video--you have a lot of talent!
    Maybe you can use it as a sample to market yourself on Elance or the Warriors Forum.
    The only way to know if it is "right" for the product is to test it.
    It definitely sets you apart,
    it could go viral,
    and it makes you look professional.
    People may even watch twice (or more).
    Much success!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
    I'm starting to see a trend here that could be pretty dangerous to the bottom line.

    Over promising.

    If these new slick videos with studio quality sound and graphics start to project too much value on the product, then you run the risk of not living up to the perceived value.

    If the video makes use of graphics that are not found on the site or in the software then there could be a let down.

    You don't have to get refunds for people to not be entirely satisfied with your product. They could just go away felling a little deflated and not really wanting to buy more from you.

    Worse, would be for them to tell their friends that your product "isn't all it's cracked up to be".

    I think it would be a better idea to have more "bells and whistles", "glitz and glamor" in the product and lean more towards giving the perception that you over delivered.

    Don't give them the dessert before the meal.

    p.s. I'm not talking about the OP's specific product or products. Or the products mentioned in the video. I'm talking about the use of slick videos in general.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982493].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
      Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

      I'm starting to see a trend here that could be pretty dangerous to the bottom line.

      Over promising.

      If these new slick videos with studio quality sound and graphics start to project too much value on the product, then you run the risk of not living up to the perceived value.

      If the video makes use of graphics that are not found on the site or in the software then there could be a let down.

      You don't have to get refunds for people to not be entirely satisfied with your product. They could just go away felling a little deflated and not really wanting to buy more from you.

      Worse, would be for them to tell their friends that your product "isn't all it's cracked up to be".

      I think it would be a better idea to have more "bells and whistles", "glitz and glamor" in the product and lean more towards giving the perception that you over delivered.

      Don't give them the dessert before the meal.

      p.s. I'm not talking about the OP's specific product or products. Or the products mentioned in the video. I'm talking about the use of slick videos in general.
      I see your point kinda, but to be fair - have YOU tried the product to make insinuations? There's one reason I am promoting AMR - it's amazing.

      This isn't like miracle traffic bot, if it was i would agree with the points you made and largely due to their horrible sales video.

      This however...is different.

      I don't think the video I made did it justice.

      And the graphics in the video are on the website so no concerns there either.

      If you try the free version of article marketing robot and say the same thing.... fair dues.

      Signature
      "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982521].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Matt Bard
        Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

        I see your point kinda, but to be fair - have YOU tried the product to make insinuations?
        Steve, see my p.s. at the end of my post.

        I made a disclaimer.

        Was discussing the possible problems with making videos of this sort. (sort meaning, slick, glitz, high quality imagery and sound...) Not yours specifically.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982540].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    Thanks Paul.

    I just wanted to ask where you put your ebooks? If i was going to upload an ebook I made to get a website indexed in 10 minutes by using the software i'm promoting (well...trying to lol) where would they be?
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982574].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert Plank
    I would rather see a 5 minute camtasia demo video... that way I would actually get something out of the video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982588].message }}
  • Quite frankly, it's too flashy: it took my attention from what the product was actually about. I watched the video and I can only tell it's a robot to automate something related to email marketing, but that's it.

    I personally prefer videos that are less flashy but more focus on the product benefits. You know, I don't want to be entertained by your video, I just want to know about what you've got to offer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1982637].message }}
  • 20 hours rendering time? I have to ask, how fast is your computer, Steve? Based on my experience with After Effects and a simple dual core setup, that's kinda long for a 1 minute project.

    I believe the final product used the full 1920 x 1080 resolution? That's too much for a web presentation and should only be reserved for HDTV broadcasts. The half resolution of 960 x 540 will be more than enough for web viewing, and will save you 2/3 of the rendering time. more or less. At least for my needs.

    Also, did you make the sequences from scratch? Or did you customize an existing project?

    If you made everything, then kudos man! Great job! Nice work on the light compositions!

    If it was based on an existing project, then slap the project seller's face for failing to pre-render the compositions that SHOULD have been pre-rendered (which would have saved you so much time), and for maybe providing confusing instructions, lol.

    Is the video worth the 2 to 3 days you have invested on it?

    Hmmmm.

    I really like the visual flair of the presentation, especially if I learn that you have made everything from the ground up.

    But a part of me thinks that it doesn't suit the product being promoted. If an SEO tool promised to help me "destroy the competition," I'd rather see it presented in a more explosive, more impactful (is there such a word?) manner.

    Just my 2 cents, man. Fact is, I wouldn't even be able to create an AE project like that, lol.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1984435].message }}

Trending Topics