Build a 5000 opt-in list in 1 month!

20 replies
If I challenged you to do this from scratch, how would you do it??
#build #list #month #opt-in-list #optin
  • Profile picture of the author Brandon Tanner
    First you would need a good squeeze page with a killer offer, but even if it converted at 10% that means you would need 50,000 visitors in 1 month.

    To get that kind of quality traffic in one month from scratch you would have to do a decent amount of "leveraging". How many gurus do you know? What's your budget for bribing them?

    Another option would be to spend 6 figures on Adwords
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[184621].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Meanna Blog
      Originally Posted by Brandon Tanner View Post

      First you would need a good squeeze page with a killer offer, but even if it converted at 10% that means you would need 50,000 visitors in 1 month.

      To get that kind of quality traffic in one month from scratch you would have to do a decent amount of "leveraging". How many gurus do you know? What's your budget for bribing them?

      Another option would be to spend 6 figures on Adwords
      Hi Brandon, thanks for the reply.

      Regarding getting a killer offer, I don't have a product, but I am more than happy getting a good squeeze page.

      To get a product, would I need to team up with someone that had one relating to my market?? Or are there other ways of doing it??
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[184634].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brandon Tanner
        Originally Posted by Meanna Blog View Post

        Hi Brandon, thanks for the reply.

        Regarding getting a killer offer, I don't have a product, but I am more than happy getting a good squeeze page.

        To get a product, would I need to team up with someone that had one relating to my market?? Or are there other ways of doing it??
        No product? No connections? No money? Unless you got incredibly lucky, that would be next to impossible to do.

        It would be a much more realistic goal if you had a couple thousand $$ to work with, and a couple extra months. If you did, here's what I would do...

        1) Spend a few days doing some hardcore market research. Look for nagging problems that don't currently have a good solution. And more importantly, make sure your target audience is fairly large and is willing to spend $$ to have their problems solved.

        2) Pay a programmer to create a solution to their problem/s in the form of a simple (but unique) software application. You want a program that solves their problems far better (or faster, or more efficiently) than any other program out there. Basically you want something that a lot of people would be happy to pay good money for.

        3) Set up a killer squeeze page and give your software program away for free to everyone that signs up to your list. And don't think for a second that just because you are giving it away for free that you don't have to "sell" them on your offer. Write your copy as if you were talking about a $97 product, then at the end blow them away with your free offer, that "might not be free for much longer".

        4) Find a good relevant product that you can purchase resell rights to that would compliment your software program, and set it up as a OTO on the backend for $27 or $37.

        5) Try to find as many people as possible who own lists that would be interested in your product (preferably 100 or more). Fed-Ex a package to the most promising 10 or 20, and email the rest. Tell them how your program would benefit their subscribers, and offer them 100% of the OTO (remember, you only want the leads).

        6) Make a PAD file for your software program and submit it to several of the most popular software directories.

        7) Run a few WSO's!

        8) Once you start getting some people on your list, set up an affiliate program for your product (keep your software program free for those that opt-in, but give a nice commission for the OTO). Create an affiliate resources page w/ pre-written emails, articles, text ads, etc. Then email your list about your affiliate program. That will get you even more leads.

        I've followed these exact methods, and they do work very well. 5,000 leads are not hard to get if you know what to do and just get to it. Of course it will happen much quicker if you have a little bit of money to spend on development, designers, etc. But even so, don't expect it to happen in 1 month. 3-4 months would be a far more realistic timeframe.

        Hope this has given you a few ideas to think about. Good luck!
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[184873].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Meanna Blog
          Originally Posted by Brandon Tanner View Post

          No product? No connections? No money? Unless you got incredibly lucky, that would be next to impossible to do.

          It would be a much more realistic goal if you had a couple thousand $$ to work with, and a couple extra months. If you did, here's what I would do...

          1) Spend a few days doing some hardcore market research. Look for nagging problems that don't currently have a good solution. And more importantly, make sure your target audience is fairly large and is willing to spend $$ to have their problems solved.

          2) Pay a programmer to create a solution to their problem/s in the form of a simple (but unique) software application. You want a program that solves their problems far better (or faster, or more efficiently) than any other program out there. Basically you want something that a lot of people would be happy to pay good money for.

          3) Set up a killer squeeze page and give your software program away for free to everyone that signs up to your list. And don't think for a second that just because you are giving it away for free that you don't have to "sell" them on your offer. Write your copy as if you were talking about a $97 product, then at the end blow them away with your free offer, that "might not be free for much longer".

          4) Find a good relevant product that you can purchase resell rights to that would compliment your software program, and set it up as a OTO on the backend for $27 or $37.

          5) Try to find as many people as possible who own lists that would be interested in your product (preferably 100 or more). Fed-Ex a package to the most promising 10 or 20, and email the rest. Tell them how your program would benefit their subscribers, and offer them 100% of the OTO (remember, you only want the leads).

          6) Make a PAD file for your software program and submit it to several of the most popular software directories.

          7) Run a few WSO's!

          8) Once you start getting some people on your list, set up an affiliate program for your product (keep your software program free for those that opt-in, but give a nice commission for the OTO). Create an affiliate resources page w/ pre-written emails, articles, text ads, etc. Then email your list about your affiliate program. That will get you even more leads.

          I've followed these exact methods, and they do work very well. 5,000 leads are not hard to get if you know what to do and just get to it. Of course it will happen much quicker if you have a little bit of money to spend on development, designers, etc. But even so, don't expect it to happen in 1 month. 3-4 months would be a far more realistic timeframe.

          Hope this has given you a few ideas to think about. Good luck!
          Not only is this an awesome answer, it has highlighted to me that I am just playing around at IM and playing around will not get me great results.

          I've decided to pause my efforts for now and go with some other business opportunities that I beleive in for right now.

          Thank you and thank you again!! (One day i'll explain the significance of this!!)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185669].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Chris Lockwood
      Originally Posted by Brandon Tanner View Post

      First you would need a good squeeze page with a killer offer, but even if it converted at 10% that means you would need 50,000 visitors in 1 month.

      To get that kind of quality traffic in one month from scratch you would have to do a decent amount of "leveraging". How many gurus do you know? What's your budget for bribing them?

      Another option would be to spend 6 figures on Adwords

      10% is a pretty lousy conversion rate for a squeeze page.

      If you have to spend 6 figures in Adwords to build a list of 5000, something's seriously wrong. That's at least $20 per subscriber.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[186255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
    You will need to offer something irresistible and put in front of the right people by driving traffic to it.

    Then you test to get conversions. 50% conversions will be achievable if you have a good offer to the right people from a decent traffic source.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[184884].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gareth
      What would be cheaper - spend it on adwords or do a deal with an existing offline or online business and email their customers a free offer.

      If you offer somebody with a list $5000.00 and you have a great thing for their list I cant see too many saying no.

      (Just ruminating)

      Also you could get on the phone and arrange a teleseminar with several people.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185252].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndrewStark
    The main thing is having something that people actually want.

    Brandon's outline is good, but you will need to invest in a membership script as the only way you'll get 5,000 is to use the leverage of existing affiliates in the market you choose.

    For your OTO try to get a collection of resale rights products, but make sure that what you're offering is actually a good product, and not something that can be bought on ebay for a few dollars.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EdmundLoh
    That challenge has been met and broken by many people I know, so it's definitely and humanly possible to get 5,000 opt-in subscribers or members within the span of a month.

    My partner Vince Tan is one of them. I personally saw him start with nothing just a year ago.

    This doesn't imply that you can carry on building your business on no or little resources. Many of us virtually start with nothing, so all the more reason we have to accumulate more resources and build our network (create products, get JVs, pump cashflow/sweat equity to marketing, etc.).

    And of course, depending on what niche you are targeting will affect the feasibility of getting 5,000 opt-ins within a month. It's going to involve a lot of hard work and no shortcuts (and add in some luck, for totally first timers).

    Rough plan-wise:

    - create a low entry product ($10 - 27)

    - write up minimum 14 follow-up emails that is aimed at ultimately preselling the main product

    - theme the 14 or more emails for the squeeze page (e.g. little known secrets to doing _______) so that when the visitor subscribes, that marketing and pre-sell part for the low entry product is automated

    - create at least 4 variations of the squeeze page and split test using Google Adwords -> Website Optimizer (or Google Analytics) try to hit up a conversion of 30% minimum, 40% and above is killer (for every 100 visitors who see your Sq. Page, this percentage will join)

    - Extract different segments of the market that may be interested in your product or service (e.g. students? baby boomers? based on gender? career? age?) and create different squeeze pages that target these people in specific (for marketing later)

    - MARKETING: I am going to assume you're relatively new so JVs might or might not be out of the option at the moment, up to you. Still, JVs is about the fastest way I know but you got to position it real well because most list owners know the worth of their list, they won't want to give a lead unless there's a good reason to do so. (I have a ton of ideas on this already, but it would be too long to write it here)

    - MARKETING: I've had success using FaceBook to build parts of my list, so that's one option to consider. Build a group or a page and invite your friends in.

    - MARKETING: If you got the cash, spend on PPC ads and if most of your FaceBook friends are in your niche, that's another possibility. I've seen (and even bought from) FaceBook ads, and some I know have had lots of success with it i.e. marketing on FaceBook.


    This is a rough plan though quite a lot of details to explore. I didn't include stuff like OTO or back-end here since the primary goal is to get 5,000 subscribers first.

    -- Edmund Loh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185293].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    I totally agree with Brandon on this one too.

    To get 5000 opt in subcribers per month, you would need at least 30,000- 60-000 visitors per month.

    Not every person will give you their name and email. If you can reach those numbers of 30,000- 60-000 visitors per month then you can accomplish your goal.

    You can also buy those leads but I DON'T recommend it. You want people to know that they are opting into YOUR LIST.

    Tal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Montgomery
      I've got to disagree with this one.

      It's completely possible to get 50% of your visitors to
      optin if you have a quality free product and a good
      squeeze page.

      I think you could do it with 10,000 visitors, possibly less.

      I have squeeze pages that are pulling in nearly a 60% conversion
      rate and that's not out of the ordinary for people to do.


      Originally Posted by talfighel View Post

      I totally agree with Brandon on this one too.

      To get 5000 opt in subcribers per month, you would need at least 30,000- 60-000 visitors per month.

      Not every person will give you their name and email. If you can reach those numbers of 30,000- 60-000 visitors per month then you can accomplish your goal.

      You can also buy those leads but I DON'T recommend it. You want people to know that they are opting into YOUR LIST.

      Tal
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[186473].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brandon Tanner
        Originally Posted by Mike X. View Post


        It's completely possible to get 50% of your visitors to
        optin if you have a quality free product and a good
        squeeze page.
        Sure, it's possible. I have one squeeze page that's gotten close to 50% from it's best traffic source (JV mailouts with very targeted lists). But that same page doesn't get anywhere near 50% CR from organic SE traffic (maybe I should update my keywords, lol).

        But my point is, for someone who is truly starting from scratch who has never done this before, with an average product/squeeze page, from a variety of traffic sources, 10% would be a much more realistic figure to aim for. That's why I used 10% in my example.

        Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood View Post


        If you have to spend 6 figures in Adwords to build a list of 5000, something's seriously wrong. That's at least $20 per subscriber.
        I don't play the Adwords game much myself, so I was just half-jokingly throwing a figure out there. Sorry, I thought I used the "tongue in cheek" smiley, but I guess it was just the "eek" one.

        Regardless of what the actual cost would be, it would not be cheap (especially for someone new to PPC that didn't really know what they were doing).
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[188073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Abel1337
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lcombs
    I'm workin' on it!

    I'll keep you posted on my results.

    (of course, you could all help by joining my list ;-).)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[185933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tony M.
    Well,
    I'm building my list at around that rate (5000/month) and it's only costing me (in Adwords expense) around $2000 per month.
    I also recently tried my first JV launch, using rich schefren's book and advice, and I built a 2,000 leads list in around 10 days - with relatively small JV partners.

    I would never recommend you to start spending 2 grand on adwords if you don't know it well yet - you might get either very expensive traffic, buying a lead for a dollar or 5 dollars... or get very low quality traffic, like east-african visitors who won't ever buy a thing because they simply CANNOT use Paypal over there.

    Tony
    Signature

    Mass Control users might want to read this :
    How you can multiply the results of the 4 day Cash Machine

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[186172].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[186476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Norma Holt
    Originally Posted by Meanna Blog View Post

    If I challenged you to do this from scratch, how would you do it??
    You disappoint me. I thought you were doing it and was going to give us the gen on doing likewise. Bother!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[186485].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Schramko
    I built a list of several thousand from adwords with good conversion rates. That list already paid for itself many times over by incorporating a thank you page and viral invitation element.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[187237].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zoobie
    good to hear... to me add extra an 1000 a month I'll be very happy already.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[190256].message }}

Trending Topics