Wordpress vs Easysitebuild vs Citymax, etc

13 replies
I created a few sites in the last few weeks for a co-worker and family members. I recieved a hint from a business owner friend that he would like one and I've purchased a few WSO's on offline opportunities regarding making sites for brick and morter stores.

Sure, I'm up for it, but with this monster learning curve I'm ready to take on, is there any benefit to learning Wordpress and using it for this venture? I've used Wix and Intuit, but see so many WSO's and Warrior members who swear by Wordpress.

Are the template sites "good enough" for electricians, restaurants, pet shops, etc... or is it worthwhile to take the time to learn Wordpress?

Also, as far as transfering domains and everything else once the site is complete, is there a WSO or other resource describing the steps that anyone could recommend?
#citymax #easysitebuild #wordpress
  • Profile picture of the author Jon Shawcross
    I use wordpress for all my sites. The beauty is that they are so adaptable and the number of themes available will cover any niche or industry. I have to be honest, i have never used the others you mention, but the beauty of WP is that it is SO easy to create professional looking sites , but more importantly, with the massive number of great plugins (All in One SEO, Sitemaps, RSS etc, etc, etc), a WP site can have a real quick impact on the search engines. I also heard that Google loves wordpress? I'm not sure how true that really is, but every little bit helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author craigc1980
    Originally Posted by kbayer63 View Post

    I created a few sites in the last few weeks for a co-worker and family members. I recieved a hint from a business owner friend that he would like one and I've purchased a few WSO's on offline opportunities regarding making sites for brick and morter stores.

    Sure, I'm up for it, but with this monster learning curve I'm ready to take on, is there any benefit to learning Wordpress and using it for this venture? I've used Wix and Intuit, but see so many WSO's and Warrior members who swear by Wordpress.

    Are the template sites "good enough" for electricians, restaurants, pet shops, etc... or is it worthwhile to take the time to learn Wordpress?

    Also, as far as transfering domains and everything else once the site is complete, is there a WSO or other resource describing the steps that anyone could recommend?
    I use wordpress for most of my offline ventures.

    Wordpress has great plugins to manage your site and your content.

    You can buy or create your own designs to fit.

    If you have a store front i would definitely use wordpress just for the simplicity of it.

    Wordpress can be set up in a day.

    If you were to have a site made without wordpress this can take weeks.

    As far as transferring domains,you can find tons of tutorials. Just google it. Its pretty easy stuff.

    I think the best part about wordpress is most all the plugins you can find are free.

    I have an interior design site that me and my girlfriend own and we spent 10 dollars all together putting it together.

    That was just to buy the domain.

    The other great thing about wordpress is they make it easy for you to optimize your site for search engines.

    I have had this one site up for a year now and i don't even promote it.

    Google does all the work for me and it pulls in between $500-$800 a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165567].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Ekenroos
    Originally Posted by kbayer63 View Post

    I created a few sites in the last few weeks for a co-worker and family members. I recieved a hint from a business owner friend that he would like one and I've purchased a few WSO's on offline opportunities regarding making sites for brick and morter stores.

    Sure, I'm up for it, but with this monster learning curve I'm ready to take on, is there any benefit to learning Wordpress and using it for this venture? I've used Wix and Intuit, but see so many WSO's and Warrior members who swear by Wordpress.

    Are the template sites "good enough" for electricians, restaurants, pet shops, etc... or is it worthwhile to take the time to learn Wordpress?

    Also, as far as transfering domains and everything else once the site is complete, is there a WSO or other resource describing the steps that anyone could recommend?
    I use WordPress to my Blogs and Yola To my homepages.
    Yola has it own design software and templates i think work realy good and easy to work with.
    The futures are realy good to get the site you want.
    But defenetly WordPress for Blogs couse it is so addaptive with a lot of plugins and widgets you can use.
    And the part i love is the static pages, you do one nice blog and then you make this static pages like in one hour and publish.
    And those are unlimited.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Piteo
    When you talk about WordPress, make sure you go with the self-hosted version of WordPress from WordPress.org. Don't use WordPress.com for business sites.

    You can learn to make great WordPress blogs and websites in about 2 hours with the right training. That is without learning any code. If you want to become a full-time web designer eventually you will want to learn CSS and maybe a little PHP.
    Signature
    Want to Create a Profitable Online Course?

    CrashCourseTraining.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author da1fitz
    The other plus to using Workpress if you don't mind buying Artiseer (which is relatively inexpensive) is that you can create your own themes specific to the business model of your customer very quickly.

    If the customer is a more medium sized operation, then perhaps using a CMS like Joomla may be a better option, and the good news is Artiseer can generate Joomla themes too (and no I didn't create the package ).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fairuz Talib
    Nowadays most of the websites I encountered are either build using wordpress or joomla.
    But understanding joomla is a bit difficult compared to wordpress. With thousand of free
    and premium themes, you can't go wrong with wordpress.

    My suggestion, download, and learn wordpress, and you'll understand why many of us
    use and recommend it.

    Check out my signature below for a free wordpress installation guide.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2165815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Sperry
    Some brick and mortar businesses want a presence on the web but do not expect traffic/customers from search engines. They use their websites for other purposes. I would normally recommend WP for a site that wants to continually optimize for the search engines etc. If they just want a site to answer customer questions, offer promos, and brag a little, a CityMax site might be just right. I used them a few years ago. For just a basic good looking site they are very quick and easy. CM might also be easier for the owners to keep maintained if you are not offering follow up IT services after you build the site. I found CM very user friendly with intuitive navigation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2166051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kbayer63
      Originally Posted by JMS View Post

      Some brick and mortar businesses want a presence on the web but do not expect traffic/customers from search engines. They use their websites for other purposes. I would normally recommend WP for a site that wants to continually optimize for the search engines etc. If they just want a site to answer customer questions, offer promos, and brag a little, a CityMax site might be just right. I used them a few years ago. For just a basic good looking site they are very quick and easy. CM might also be easier for the owners to keep maintained if you are not offering follow up IT services after you build the site. I found CM very user friendly with intuitive navigation.
      That's the case I've seen in my very-limited experience. In my local area, I can type in "florists" and the zip code. Several will appear on the first page in Google Maps Top 7 results or whatever, and the top 4 don't even have a website... 5th one does. I still have a lot to learn.

      Love the "artiseer" suggestion -- thanks da1fitz!
      Signature

      "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2166547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Underground SEO
    wordpress all the time! wordpress is just so easy to use and has so many plugins and is so easy to maintain. Definately go down the wordpress route would be my advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2166697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daedric
    I strongly suggest Wordpress because there are millions of template lying around the thousands of plugin available to make your site friendly and interesting.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2169336].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marketing-TV
    Wordpress is a fantastic platform for building websites. Almost any website you can think of can be made on wordpress, it is very easy to learn aswell. Check out some of the Lynda.com tutorials and you will be up and running in now time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2169367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kbayer63
      Originally Posted by Marketing-TV View Post

      Wordpress is a fantastic platform for building websites. Almost any website you can think of can be made on wordpress, it is very easy to learn aswell. Check out some of the Lynda.com tutorials and you will be up and running in now time.
      Ok, Lynda.com is awesome... thanks!!!!!!
      Signature

      "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat all day and drink beer."

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2169400].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rovad
    Wordpress rocks, for example check out this site www.adriaticairsoft-alfa.com, I've spent roughly 1 hour working on it (it's a site for my coach's airsoft camp), and he paid me 100$ + the money from the ongoing link building campaing I am slowly doing for this site. I still have to put these plug-ins though...

    Wordpress is awesome!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2169435].message }}

Trending Topics