What does this Picture Mean to You?

by Sean A McAlister 33 replies




The SKY IS THE LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#main internet marketing discussion forum #make money #picture
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jared Alberghini
    Better question would be... How does this picture make you feel?

    To me, honestly, it projected 3 negative 'feelings'...

    #1 - This image is 'telling me what to do' which is opposite to what human nature likes... nobody likes to be 'told what to do'... just look at the stats of headlines that say 'don't click here' compared to 'click here'... amazing results (if you didn't know, people click 'don't click here' much more than 'click here')

    #2 - It reminds me what I need to do extra to pay for my heating oil this winter that looks like it will be double...

    #3 - MAKE MONEY - ALL CAPS FEELS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING AT ME!!!!!!!!! YELLING AT ME WHAT TO DO!!!! Internet Etiquette is crucial.

    "Make Money" is sure a good keyword result, but as a graphic I think it projects the opposite effect... even something like "Make More Money" is still negative in a graphic form, since it still tells people what to do.

    However, what if you changed it to "Easy Money" or better yet... my genius idea : "Easy Money Street" since it's a picture of a street sign... not to mention people are by nature lazy and are desperately looking for the 'easy way'... Work Smart, Not Hard.

    That gives me a more optimistic feeling, don't you think so too?

    - Jared
    Signature

    P.S.

    Join The Future: Telekinetic Marketing

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194285].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sean A McAlister
      Originally Posted by webdesignhq View Post

      Better question would be... How does this picture make you feel?

      To me, honestly, it projected 3 negative 'feelings'...

      #1 - This image is 'telling me what to do' which is opposite to what human nature likes... nobody likes to be 'told what to do'... just look at the stats of headlines that say 'don't click here' compared to 'click here'... amazing results (if you didn't know, people click 'don't click here' much more than 'click here')

      #2 - It reminds me what I need to do extra to pay for my heating oil this winter that looks like it will be double...

      #3 - MAKE MONEY - ALL CAPS FEELS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING AT ME!!!!!!!!! YELLING AT ME WHAT TO DO!!!! Internet Etiquette is crucial.

      "Make Money" is sure a good keyword result, but as a graphic I think it projects the opposite effect... even something like "Make More Money" is still negative in a graphic form, since it still tells people what to do.

      However, what if you changed it to "Easy Money" or better yet... my genius idea : "Easy Money Street" since it's a picture of a street sign... not to mention people are by nature lazy and are desperately looking for the 'easy way'... Work Smart, Not Hard.

      That gives me a more optimistic feeling, don't you think so too?

      - Jared
      Jared,,,,

      That is a very interesting perspective.

      This is one of the reasons I like to post these every now and again.

      These really are good little tests in my opinion because it sheds light on the psychological effect of our ads. It is important to remember that while we test our sites we need to evaluate the pictures.

      As we know pictures are powerful tools and sometimes more powerful than the content we write.
      Signature
      New Product Launches, Affiliate Marketplace

      Need More Sales? More Affiliates? LaunchBoards.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David
      [QUOTE=webdesignhq;194285]Better question would be... How does this picture make you feel?

      To me, honestly, it projected 3 negative 'feelings'...

      #1 - This image is 'telling me what to do' which is opposite to what human nature likes... nobody likes to be 'told what to do'... just look at the stats of headlines that say 'don't click here' compared to 'click here'... amazing results (if you didn't know, people click 'don't click here' much more than 'click here')

      ... not to be critical... but

      I didn't get the idea that it was telling me what to do?

      didn't get the idea of asking me...

      It's just a good idea.

      "wealth looks like so much fun that I think I'll try it"
      Signature

      David Bruce Jr of Frederick Web Promotions
      Lawyer Local SEO - |

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[196142].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hiointernat
      Originally Posted by webdesignhq View Post

      However, what if you changed it to "Easy Money" or better yet... my genius idea : "Easy Money Street" since it's a picture of a street sign... not to mention people are by nature lazy and are desperately looking for the 'easy way'... Work Smart, Not Hard.

      That gives me a more optimistic feeling, don't you think so too?
      I would much rather travel down the "Easy Money Street" than the "Make Money" one!

      The "Make Money" sign makes me feel pressured to, well, make money. It's a reminder of what our consumer society is based up: then need to make more and more money to cover higher and higher costs of living. It actually makes me want to find another way, some short-cut street so that I don't feel so pressured.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198714].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sean A McAlister
        Originally Posted by hiointernat View Post

        I would much rather travel down the "Easy Money Street" than the "Make Money" one!

        The "Make Money" sign makes me feel pressured to, well, make money. It's a reminder of what our consumer society is based up: then need to make more and more money to cover higher and higher costs of living. It actually makes me want to find another way, some short-cut street so that I don't feel so pressured.

        So far this image has provoked more negative feelings than anything...i think.
        So is this a case in point that these kind of images should not be used on a site?
        Signature
        New Product Launches, Affiliate Marketplace

        Need More Sales? More Affiliates? LaunchBoards.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    I see it as a call to action!

    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194290].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adam Carn
    To me it means financial freedom. The sky and looking up to it gives you the "being free" feeling.

    Adam
    Signature
    Taking a break...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194306].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Diana Lane
    'Make money' just looks kind of unfinished to me, as if there's only half a sentence there.

    'Make money more quickly by knitting it on bigger needles'?
    Signature

    Plot short fiction, long fiction, even outline non-fiction * Edit the question prompts to suit your genre * Easily export text and image files for use with your word processor or Scrivener.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ForumJoiner
    The way the board appears out of nowhere, and the sky that is on the background suggests me the 11-st Commandment : "Make money!". It's like it was cut from "Bruce Almighty".

    "Make money" without "now", "today" and so on makes me think of "Make money" as a daily activity. Definitely a positive feeling.

    I like that you didn't put alternatives. It's not "Make money" or "...".
    It's just "Make money" - there is no other possible course of action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194323].message }}
  • Look closer and notice that it is a road sign, not a billboard.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esr
    I saw it as a roadsign, but I felt..... unfinished. Like I needed more. "Make Money? How? When?"
    Signature
    Free Report > > > > > "Backdoor Blog Promotion"
    Quickly increase your site traffic, and your profits, with this free top secret promotion tool. http://www.theblogbuilder.org
    "If you don't take effective action, you're robbing yourself of the life you really want."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kelly Verge
    The message doesn't match the medium.

    Green elongated signs are street signs - they don't tell us what to do, they tell us where we are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194662].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sean A McAlister
      Originally Posted by Kelly Verge View Post

      The message doesn't match the medium.

      Green elongated signs are street signs - they don't tell us what to do, they tell us where we are.
      That was deep right there! And another great observation. Do you think the artist (probably photoshoped) realized this? If not...and this was done for a major media co. for some sort of PR or advertising it could have had the wrong impact...sent the wrong signal to the audience.

      Another case in point on how pictures can effect your sites overall psychological impact on your visitors.
      Signature
      New Product Launches, Affiliate Marketplace

      Need More Sales? More Affiliates? LaunchBoards.com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Thomas
      Originally Posted by Kelly Verge View Post

      Green elongated signs are street signs - they don't tell us what to do, they tell us where we are.
      Here, such green elongated signs are "commercial registration plates" used by motor dealers on vehicles they temporarily own until re-sold... making the picture nonsense.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I'd prefer a triangle that said "Making Money"
    Signature

    nothing to see here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    a street sign isn't very close to the sky

    I like the make money concept
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lpstoops
    Personally, I don't feel like the sky really is the limit. In our capitalistic society, that may be the inbred notion that we CAN have what we want, make as much as we want, do what we want, and live like we want...not actually the case here in the U.S of A. Obviously we're all trying to MAKE money, we have too in order to make the rent/mortgage, bills, etc. But, to be told that the sky's the limit when we actually have a very realistic cap on what we are factually making, and likely will for our career lives...or worse, it's really anyone's guess. There are a few success stories of the dedicated individual, the lucky business man, the 'in the right place and the right time' guy/gal, but in actuality, there are less that 1% of all people who will achieve what they really feel like they can aspire to be...not all of us. So, to post a picture telling me to do what I'm already trying to do, and express simple pleasantries like, "the sky's the limit" really just frustrate me.

    Hope you're all having a great day!
    Signature

    See any website's Adwords keywords while browsing Google in real-time. Get it FREE here!
    * Free Training Videos: Increase Your Internet Marketing Sales OVERNIGHT *
    Follow me on Twitter
    FREE APPLE COMPUTER

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194793].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
      Originally Posted by lpstoops View Post

      Personally, I don't feel like the sky really is the limit. In our capitalistic society, that may be the inbred notion that we CAN have what we want, make as much as we want, do what we want, and live like we want...not actually the case here in the U.S of A. Obviously we're all trying to MAKE money, we have too in order to make the rent/mortgage, bills, etc. But, to be told that the sky's the limit when we actually have a very realistic cap on what we are factually making, and likely will for our career lives...or worse, it's really anyone's guess. There are a few success stories of the dedicated individual, the lucky business man, the 'in the right place and the right time' guy/gal, but in actuality, there are less that 1% of all people who will achieve what they really feel like they can aspire to be...not all of us. So, to post a picture telling me to do what I'm already trying to do, and express simple pleasantries like, "the sky's the limit" really just frustrate me.

      Hope you're all having a great day!

      The only thing stopping you getting what you want are the reasons you have for why you can't have them.
      Signature

      nothing to see here.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194835].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shannon Herod
        I see as a goal. The camera angle is pointed up so you are actually looking up to the sign.

        When I create a goal I look up to the goal. The goal is something that I have not attained but look forward to attaining soon and have to go out to get it.

        That is the first thing I thought of.

        Shannon
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194841].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sean A McAlister
        Originally Posted by lpstoops
        Personally, I don't feel like the sky really is the limit. In our capitalistic society, that may be the inbred notion that we CAN have what we want, make as much as we want, do what we want, and live like we want...not actually the case here in the U.S of A. Obviously we're all trying to MAKE money, we have too in order to make the rent/mortgage, bills, etc. But, to be told that the sky's the limit when we actually have a very realistic cap on what we are factually making, and likely will for our career lives...or worse, it's really anyone's guess. There are a few success stories of the dedicated individual, the lucky business man, the 'in the right place and the right time' guy/gal, but in actuality, there are less that 1% of all people who will achieve what they really feel like they can aspire to be...not all of us. So, to post a picture telling me to do what I'm already trying to do, and express simple pleasantries like, "the sky's the limit" really just frustrate me.


        Hope you're all having a great day!




        Originally Posted by Andyhenry View Post

        The only thing stopping you getting what you want are the reasons you have for why you can't have them.

        Well put Andy. It is really just that simple. A negative attitude breeds negative results. It is that simple

        And....as mentioned above success is not always measured by the amount of money in your bank account. How well is your life balanced and do you wake up happy in the morning?

        Sean
        Signature
        New Product Launches, Affiliate Marketplace

        Need More Sales? More Affiliates? LaunchBoards.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[196127].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Michael D
      Originally Posted by lpstoops View Post

      But, to be told that the sky's the limit when we actually have a very realistic cap on what we are factually making, and likely will for our career lives...or worse, it's really anyone's guess. There are a few success stories of the dedicated individual, the lucky business man, the 'in the right place and the right time' guy/gal, but in actuality, there are less that 1% of all people who will achieve what they really feel like they can aspire to be...not all of us.
      Although there are successes out there due to "being lucky" that doesn't happen very often. You are right about that. But, I can assure you that most of the people that are successful and make a lot of money aren't "lucky" and weren't "in the right place at the right time". These people know what they are doing and they do it very well.

      People are generally lazy and want it all for nothing. Success shouldn't be measured by what other people think is success for you. Only you can decide if you are truly "successful" or not. Success to one person can be completely different then success to another. In reality, hard work and action does pay off, eventually, for most. The problem is a lot of people give up long before they are ever "successful".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194851].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sean Hoffman
    Slave.

    Where is my promised open market?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warriorsellingebooks
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194887].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      I'd prefer "Income Avenue"
      Signature

      Saving one dog may not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vyliss
    I also felt like it was more a command or I was being shouted at. Over all, didn't give me good feelings, it actually makes me uncomfortable looking at it.

    I'll make money if I want, not cos someone else is telling me to, and it also feels incomplete like someone else said..

    Also it gives me the feeling that is all there is. Just to make money.. when there should be something deeper in there.

    I hope we don't just make money for money's sake... that's not the point of living.
    Signature
    ***HOT Get Your Ex Back Product - 100% Commission for a $39-$97 product + Recurring commission***
    Affiliates Wanted! Receive top quality reports, keyword list, step-by-step guide, contests, cash bonus & much more when you JOIN NOW!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[194948].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BIG Mike
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[196151].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ricter
      Originally Posted by BIG Mike View Post

      Probably just me being me, but I abhor stuff like that.
      I find something motivational in your iconoclasm, thank you!
      Signature

      - For your import/export/customs questions or problems, send PM.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[196158].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sid Kaplan
    Looks more like a motivaiton advertisement for the current crop of "investment bankers" and "hedge fund managers" who were trying to fabricate profits out of blue sky!

    Have a great weekend.

    Sid
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198342].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author radhika
      Instead of simple 'MAKE MONEY', it should be more motivational like -

      'Money Making Ideas? Sky is YOUR Limit!'

      It very incomplete to me. It is not telling me anything and keep me hanging inthere ...

      .
      Signature
      Follow up Autoresponder PRO :: 33% Discount!!
      FREE Upgrades! IMPROVED Email Deliverability!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198356].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Peter Bestel
        First impressions of this is that it's a road sign for a place called 'Make Money' and apparently I'm there! Presumably this is a place where one can make money - but I'm not too convinced.

        It appears a little temporary, so it doesn't instil too much confidence in respect to sustainability.

        Peter
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198380].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Dalangin
    For me, it is a sign to think about it and create a plan on how to achieve it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Don Schenk
    How about adding a cross street sign below it. "Success"

    So one is at the corner of Make Money and Success.

    On a real street sign the letters would be caps and they would fill out more of the sign. Look at the proportions on a real street sign. Therefore the sign could be shorter, or the letters bigger.

    :-Don
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198758].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amjonathan
    Great Idea Don!

    The picture makes me want to work harder.

    Thank you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[198789].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics