Awesome benefits from promoting RSS feeds

45 replies
I have recently started using RSSBot to submit my RSS feeds and am already seeing a big boost in traffic.

My method is to submit all the following feeds
  • Main blog feeds (one per blog)
  • The comments feeds (one per blog)
  • The categories feeds (I only do this for main sites to save time)
  • My EZA article author feeds
  • Feedburner feeds (I burn a feedburner feed for each blog in addition to the in-built Wordpress one)
My approach
I submit each feed using RSSBot, but rather than doing all at once I submit to 5 - 10 directories to start with, then do the rest in a second batch a few weeks later. I reckon that will show a slightly more organic pattern to search engines, rather than blasting my feeds at everyone on Day 1.

Results good so far. But I'm only starting.

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received. In any case I'll report back on how this is going for me.

#awesome #benefits #feeds #promoting #rss
  • Profile picture of the author Eric Lorence
    Don't forget twitter feeds if you have them ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2244089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ButterflyGarden
    I use RSS Submit, I would be interested to hear how you found RSSBot differs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2245808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HCLee
      Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know I could use category feeds to submit too. At least now I could utilize my RSSBot a little more often than before.
      Signature
      Electric Foot Warmers -End your cold feet days now.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2245850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
      I havent used RSS Submit. Is it a paid service?

      I use RSS Bot, but to be honest doing it manually instead would work just as well. It doesnt take long, and it at least has the advantage that you are unlikely to overdo it all at once, which is what the tools allow.

      The main thing is to submit RSS. So many bloggers dont bother. I never did either, but its a great way of getting more traffic quickly.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2245969].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Gertie
        Hi
        I'm a relative newbie to internet marketing and especially RSS.

        Could someone point me in the direction of a post or information about RSS feeds.

        I use an RSS feed on my blog but I'm unsure exactly how to use it.

        Do I use it EVERY time I update my blog?

        and what other advantages are there?

        I hope you understand what I'm asking but being new to RSS I don't know the terminology.

        Gert
        Signature

        My name is Gert and I'm newish to Internet Marketing.
        My blog is at www.gertchappell.info

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2246007].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Aira Bongco
          Originally Posted by Gertie View Post

          Hi
          I'm a relative newbie to internet marketing and especially RSS.

          Could someone point me in the direction of a post or information about RSS feeds.

          I use an RSS feed on my blog but I'm unsure exactly how to use it.

          Do I use it EVERY time I update my blog?

          and what other advantages are there?

          I hope you understand what I'm asking but being new to RSS I don't know the terminology.

          Gert
          Hi Gert,

          RSS feeds are like a copy or slice of the information on your blog. People subscribe to RSS feeds if they like your content.

          Now there are also some RSS directories you can submit to. These will bring you lots of traffic. Softwares like RSS Submit and RSSBot assists on the job. RSS Submission can drive traffic and let your pages get indexed faster.

          And no, you don't use it. You simply promote it.

          Hope I have helped you in some way.

          Aira
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2246024].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nicelife
            I think RSSBot is awesome, I definitely notice a difference in traffic when I submit my RSS Feeds properly.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2246081].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Gertie
            Originally Posted by airabongco View Post

            Hi Gert,

            RSS feeds are like a copy or slice of the information on your blog. People subscribe to RSS feeds if they like your content.

            Now there are also some RSS directories you can submit to. These will bring you lots of traffic. Softwares like RSS Submit and RSSBot assists on the job. RSS Submission can drive traffic and let your pages get indexed faster.

            And no, you don't use it. You simply promote it.

            Hope I have helped you in some way.

            Aira
            Thanks for your help, that makes sense. I will also take a look at RSS Sobmit and RSSBot.

            Gert
            Signature

            My name is Gert and I'm newish to Internet Marketing.
            My blog is at www.gertchappell.info

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2246099].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Elle Holder
              Thanks for pointing out we should be submitting category feeds!

              Just last week I realized i should be submitting my EZA feeds, but I hadn't thought about category feeds.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2246172].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
        Originally Posted by mikeevee View Post

        I havent used RSS Submit. Is it a paid service?
        Its desktop software that automatically submits feeds. Here is the link for RSS Submit - ksoft- RSS Submit - Software to Easily Submit Your RSS Feeds
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2254946].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
          I'll add if you want to manually submit your RSS feed to directories and search engines here is a big list: RSS Submissions
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2254959].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
            Originally Posted by HorseStall View Post

            I'll add if you want to manually submit your RSS feed to directories and search engines here is a big list: RSS Submissions
            Is it worth continuing to submit once you've covered off the few big RSS sites?

            I mean I guess its like Article submission where once you have submitted to GoArticles, EZA and maybe one or two others you have 99% of the benefit, and the benefit of doing the rest is marginal.

            Just interested? Keep submitting to new sites every few days, or just do it once and then forget?
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2258921].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Marian
              RSS are great for backlinks, for fast indexing, only a small amount of the traffic are real visitors from my experience. But I love them!

              Marian
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2258961].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tpw
              Originally Posted by mikeevee View Post

              I mean I guess its like Article submission where once you have submitted to GoArticles, EZA and maybe one or two others you have 99% of the benefit, and the benefit of doing the rest is marginal.
              You can keep thinking that if you want, and those who know better can continue making more money from article marketing than you do... ;-)

              I am reading the RSS thing indepth... This is good stuff... I have had RSS Feeds for years, but have not promoted them seriously.

              Having said that, one of the more popular pages on my website, month after month, is the feed for Business-Online articles.
              Signature
              Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
              Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Mikeevee, I think you have a pretty good plan there.

    I would say that, at least for a brand new site, a one-time bulk submission would look entirely natural. I'm sure the folks at Google and the other search engines are aware of the tools available, so doing a bulk submission isn't a huge surprise.

    The danger comes from doing those bulk submissions over and over, like resubmitting the feeds to directories every time you add a post. Once your feed is added to the directory, there's no need to add it again. The same goes for trying to ping every post and comment. Do it once, and the behavior is consistent with the tools, whether it's Wordpress and a ping list or a third-party tool like RSSBot (which is what I use as well). Ping the same posts/comments over and over, and you're doing something hinky...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2251259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

      Mikeevee, I think you have a pretty good plan there.

      I would say that, at least for a brand new site, a one-time bulk submission would look entirely natural. I'm sure the folks at Google and the other search engines are aware of the tools available, so doing a bulk submission isn't a huge surprise.
      Its a good point. And Bulk submitting is so much quicker and easier.

      I think the best approach then is Bulk submit with RSSBot. Then if you have time go back a few weeks later and do one or two additional manual submissions to the big RSS Directories that can't be automated.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2263619].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by mikeevee View Post

        Its a good point. And Bulk submitting is so much quicker and easier.

        I think the best approach then is Bulk submit with RSSBot. Then if you have time go back a few weeks later and do one or two additional manual submissions to the big RSS Directories that can't be automated.
        I'd also like to point out the difference between submitting and pinging.

        Submitting your feeds to the directories is a one-time thing (assuming they accept you and the feed is listed).

        Pinging directories and such when you post new content is a different story. When you add new content, you ping the sites that accept pinging to alert them to the new content. It signals them to update their copy of your feed.

        If you post a lot, only ping your best stuff. Pinging too often can be mistaken (or identified, depending on intent) as ping spamming and get your pings blocked and your feeds dropped.

        If you use Wordpress, find a good, up-to-date ping list and add it to your setup. Then you can ping new content automatically.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264633].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author User-Name
    Rssbot icansoft?
    I have most of their products thou I have never used their rss submitter.
    Is the rss list updated regularly?
    A lot of those rss site don't hang around very long
    Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2252887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tecHead
    Yeah... ever since I can remember people have been sleeping on the whole RSS feed traffic boost; (not to mention most eyes roll to the back of their head with the mention of an ROR feed).

    I'm not sure how many years ago Robin Good made this original post; (which has been constantly updated over the years due to its popularity); but, its been one of my starting points regarding RSS feeds and submissions...

    RSS Feed Submission: Best Blog Directories And RSS Search Engines Where To Submit Your Blog Feed Part 1

    I developed a WP add-on for the old company that I worked with that literally grabbed Google by the back of the neck and made their bots deep index ALL the blogs that were tested; (we tested like over 300 in various different niches). It was specifically based on RSS feeds, submissions and auto-discovery.

    RSS is the silent 900lb black gorilla in the back of the room sitting in the dark.

    PLP,
    tecHead
    Signature
    Learn Everything You Need to Know About CryptoCurrencies
    Automation is the primary conduit to successful relaxation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2253052].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author entry
      Originally Posted by tecHead View Post

      Yeah... ever since I can remember people have been sleeping on the whole RSS feed traffic boost; (not to mention most eyes roll to the back of their head with the mention of an ROR feed).

      I'm not sure how many years ago Robin Good made this original post; (which has been constantly updated over the years due to its popularity); but, its been one of my starting points regarding RSS feeds and submissions...

      RSS Feed Submission: Best Blog Directories And RSS Search Engines Where To Submit Your Blog Feed Part 1

      I developed a WP add-on for the old company that I worked with that literally grabbed Google by the back of the neck and made their bots deep index ALL the blogs that were tested; (we tested like over 300 in various different niches). It was specifically based on RSS feeds, submissions and auto-discovery.

      RSS is the silent 900lb black gorilla in the back of the room sitting in the dark.

      PLP,
      tecHead
      Nice analogy of the black gorilla, i can see it being true.... can you just explain abit about the 900lb Black Gorilla, it has confused me...
      Signature
      I Have to say a Massive...THANK YOU to every Warrior who has helped me, and thanks to every warrior who helps me in the future...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2254059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jhess56
      mind sharing this wp addon or u just teasin?

      i have rss bot and i like it but only thing major its missing(especially now that it supports decaptcha) is being able to just bulk upload feeds like their social bot can do with links

      i have way to many feeds to do manually

      plus it doesnt seem to be able to submit more than one feed at a time unless i am missing something. i check a whole slew of them and it quits after one,doesnt cycle thru

      Originally Posted by tecHead View Post

      Yeah... ever since I can remember people have been sleeping on the whole RSS feed traffic boost; (not to mention most eyes roll to the back of their head with the mention of an ROR feed).

      I'm not sure how many years ago Robin Good made this original post; (which has been constantly updated over the years due to its popularity); but, its been one of my starting points regarding RSS feeds and submissions...

      RSS Feed Submission: Best Blog Directories And RSS Search Engines Where To Submit Your Blog Feed Part 1

      I developed a WP add-on for the old company that I worked with that literally grabbed Google by the back of the neck and made their bots deep index ALL the blogs that were tested; (we tested like over 300 in various different niches). It was specifically based on RSS feeds, submissions and auto-discovery.

      RSS is the silent 900lb black gorilla in the back of the room sitting in the dark.

      PLP,
      tecHead
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2257408].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tecHead
        Originally Posted by jhess56 View Post

        mind sharing this wp addon or u just teasin?

        ...
        Sorry; would love to but I was under contract and can't divulge that particular code or programming.

        After some follow-up research, I'll probably develop my own version though. When I do, I'll just give it to the WarRoom for free.

        PLP,
        tecHead
        Signature
        Learn Everything You Need to Know About CryptoCurrencies
        Automation is the primary conduit to successful relaxation
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2258213].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kelly Dwayne
          Hello guys!

          Promoting your RSS feed effectively requires a two prong approach. Start with examining your own website. Educate your visitors about the benefits of using your feed first. Then focus on external promotion second.
          The average visitor won't understand what RSS is about, why it would benefit them to use it or how it even works. So there's no point in slapping up the little RSS Syndication logo on your website, linking it to your feed file and hoping people will subscribe. The simple fact is that they won't. You need to spend some time building a page on your website that briefly explains to your visitors what RSS is about and then show them how to use your feed.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2258302].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IMBT
        Originally Posted by jhess56 View Post

        mind sharing this wp addon or u just teasin?

        i have rss bot and i like it but only thing major its missing(especially now that it supports decaptcha) is being able to just bulk upload feeds like their social bot can do with links

        i have way to many feeds to do manually

        plus it doesnt seem to be able to submit more than one feed at a time unless i am missing something. i check a whole slew of them and it quits after one,doesnt cycle thru
        You can use HostMyRSS dot com to create up to 100 into one feed and then use RSSBot to submit. If that was what you were looking for.

        Best Wishes!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2258698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tyroneshum
    Great thoughts here. Also, feel free to submit the RSS feeds you have in your social networking websites/sharing networks which have you been active with. I second with the use of YouTube and Twitter since they both can help you drive more and more traffic.

    Cheers.
    Signature
    outsourcinglive.com
    Follow me on my 90 Day Challenge to rank no. 1 on Google
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me at: outsourcinglive.com/google-plus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2254348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mybeech
    The best software in the market by far is Web Traffic Genius RSS Software.
    It creates feeds and automatically submits them to RSS directories.
    You can mix and mash RSS feeds to build lot of back links
    I have read that in RSSbot you have to manually submit feeds to RSS directories which I feel is a big waste of time.
    Anyway check out WTG
    cheers
    My
    Signature

    Please read the sig file rules

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2259424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author heenal
    Hi Mikeev
    Can you or someone please explain how the tool could be used to distribute the feeds from ezinearticles having different niches under a single pen name


    Heenal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260802].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyBeard
    A few pointers and in some ways a warning

    Not every RSS directory is for "feeds" - in fact most of them are specifically for blogs - software usually doesn't differentiate.

    You can use various plugins to increase the number of links from each entry in your feeds that get published - I would limit it to 10... some sites if there are over 15-20 links tend to strip all of them.

    Some RSS sites use the description, others use an excerpt from the encoded section of your feed. Lots of plugins don't filter correctly and only include the links in one or the other.

    What gets published doesn't have to be new content - use smart use of rotation along with 301 redirects, canonical tags or anchors #

    Every page of wordpress has an RSS feed, no need to buy a plugin - it can be coaxed to have more links within it with just a few lines of php in functions.php
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2260878].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scarabet
    I shall try, thanks for the tip!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2263643].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author serverunion
    This thread is title "Awesome benefits from promoting RSS feeds" but all the post just talk about submitting feeds. Does anyone have any hard stats on how this helped a site?

    One thing I have seen with pinging is that my posts sometimes get picked up by news sites. Seems like they may scrape the feeds to get relevant links for the content posts. Net is a pingback link

    The posts seems to get indexed a bit quicker also, but it's hard to tell i that's because of the rss submit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264806].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by serverunion View Post

      This thread is title "Awesome benefits from promoting RSS feeds" but all the post just talk about submitting feeds. Does anyone have any hard stats on how this helped a site?

      One thing I have seen with pinging is that my posts sometimes get picked up by news sites. Seems like they may scrape the feeds to get relevant links for the content posts. Net is a pingback link

      The posts seems to get indexed a bit quicker also, but it's hard to tell i that's because of the rss submit.
      I used to see my article links showing up on the front page of MSN... I did a lot of tracking and narrowed it down to a blog that I used to have on blogspot, where articles were posted.

      The blog is gone, thanks to overzealous blogspot employees, who kept marking the blog for deletion. I gave up after the fifth round of it being tagged for deletion...

      But while the blog existed, its RSS Feed was in the queue for the home page of MSN...
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2264891].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
        Originally Posted by tpw View Post

        I used to see my article links showing up on the front page of MSN... I did a lot of tracking and narrowed it down to a blog that I used to have on blogspot, where articles were posted.

        The blog is gone, thanks to overzealous blogspot employees, who kept marking the blog for deletion. I gave up after the fifth round of it being tagged for deletion...

        But while the blog existed, its RSS Feed was in the queue for the home page of MSN...
        Did you do anything to promote the RSS after you submitted it?
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2268054].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tiger66466
          I definitely still get confused about the whole RSS feed thing.

          Here's a question - if I were to take all my RSS feeds (the ones mentioned in the first post and maybe one or two more such as the Twitter, Youtube, etc.) and put them into rssmix.com and come up with ONE feed, instead of 6+ individual feeds - is it still effective to then take that one rssmix.com feed and submit that?

          Maybe to ask it more plainly - do you lose "effectiveness" of your feeds if they are "mixed" vs submitting them individually?

          Thanks,
          Stacy
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2269992].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
            Originally Posted by Tiger66466 View Post

            I definitely still get confused about the whole RSS feed thing.

            Here's a question - if I were to take all my RSS feeds (the ones mentioned in the first post and maybe one or two more such as the Twitter, Youtube, etc.) and put them into rssmix.com and come up with ONE feed, instead of 6+ individual feeds - is it still effective to then take that one rssmix.com feed and submit that?

            Maybe to ask it more plainly - do you lose "effectiveness" of your feeds if they are "mixed" vs submitting them individually?

            Thanks,
            Stacy

            Sorry for the delay. I have been away on holiday, so just catching up on emails etc now.

            As for the RSSMix question, yes it would be effective. It will look like a totally new unique RSS feed so yes, it is worth doing.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2318244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
    You can also submit your RSS feed from YouTube
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2266131].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MB Ninja
    I'm new to RSS, so I don't know, but I saw someone say it's better to submit individual RSS feeds, because you can add tags to each feed instead of mixing a bunch of them without tags.

    A lot of people like to use RSS Bot. I'm considering getting it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. How do you use RSS Bot? Do you make a RSS feed out of every blog post and submit it with RSS Bot, or do you make 1 feed for your whole blog by submitting your homepage as your one and only feed?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by MB Ninja View Post

      A lot of people like to use RSS Bot. I'm considering getting it, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. How do you use RSS Bot? Do you make a RSS feed out of every blog post and submit it with RSS Bot, or do you make 1 feed for your whole blog by submitting your homepage as your one and only feed?
      I think it somewhat depends on the size and structure of your blog.

      I wouldn't try to make an individual feed out of every post, as that would probably look pretty spammy.

      If your blog is very micro-targeted, go ahead and submit the feed for the whole blog. Then ping it when you make a new post.

      If your subject coverage is a little broader, submit the main feed and the category feeds. Or use the feeds for your most important tags.

      Either way, you don't submit blog pages. You submit the RSS feeds.

      If you are using Wordpress, this might give you a better feel for what's going on:

      WordPress Feeds WordPress Codex
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2519814].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author tecHead
        One of the major things most people need to understand before getting into RSS is that RSS is best used as a strategic form of syndication; as opposed to an aggressive form of syndication.

        Many people make the mistake of using it aggressively and thus getting themselves in trouble or not getting the benefits that are inherent with RSS.

        Just change the second S in RSS to Strategic; Real Strategic Syndication.

        An analogy might be...
        Think of your site(s) as roach motels and the various bots floating around the web are the roaches.

        You want to entice them to discover (auto-discovery) your site... come hang out in/on it... get infected by it and then spread that infection back at their hive(s) (their respective SEs).

        You also want to infect them proactively (RSS submission), but you only need to do that once; and done effectively makes them return to your site(s) on their own (pinging) based on how aggressively you publish new content.

        Being too aggressive (over submission of your RSS feed) will make the bots run from you; tagging you as a spammer.

        The above being totally understood should give you enough information to work with in order to determine your strategy in using RSS to distribute your content across the web.

        HTH
        PLP,
        tecHead
        Signature
        Learn Everything You Need to Know About CryptoCurrencies
        Automation is the primary conduit to successful relaxation
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2521955].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikeevee
    Hi all. I've been away a few weeks so just picking up this thread.

    MB Ninja: Is RSSBot worth it? Yes, I wouldnt be without it. But there's nothing it does that you couldnt do manually. Most people try RSSBot and then give up, but with steady use I have seen my traffic go from 20 to 2000 unique's per day in just 6 weeks.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2511325].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MB Ninja
    Yeah, sometimes people give up too early. Consistency is so important in SEO. Hopefully I can get the same results for my new domain.

    My second question still stands for anyone that wants to answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2518200].message }}

Trending Topics