One of the topics on WF that always seems to catch my eye is the newbie versus information overload, and the newbie not knowing where to start. Many people have boiled beginner action down to picking a path, and following it until you understand just how it works.
I've put together a plan. I'd like to outline it here, and generally see if folks think I am planning this out properly.
First, let me say that I recently began to Freelance, and am currently working for two clients on an ongoing basis. Both of my clients have asked me to take on misc. SEO and internet marketing tasks as I learn how to do them. While it's beyond cool that I have clients who pay me to learn as I go, it puts me in a difficult position, and hence, my plan was formed based on the things I'm being asked to do and learn right now, by my clients.
So here is my plan. Suggestions, advice, and general feedback would be sweet. I'm not posting this just to say HELP, but so that other new folks might also gain something from this post.
I'm going to start a blog, and write about my experience being a freelancer who learns SEO and internet marketing skills as tasks are assigned to me. The demographic group I intend to target are people who, like myself, have started to freelance and are being asked to get into SEO and internet marketing by their clients. I know there are at least 300 workers on the Freelance site I work from who are in the same position as myself. And that's just one site. Below is the schedule that I have created, which contains goals that pertain to things I need to learn, and accomplish.
- Now to July 15th - Consider domain names, keywords and competition in my niche. It's a fairly competitive niche, and I consider this an excellent chance to learn some things about Ranking, Promotion through Google Adwords, article and press release submission, and of course, SEO in general. I have a couple of different checklists that I am using to do all the possible prep I can, before I have the funds to register the domain name and get the blog hosted.
- July 15th to July 30 - Register domain name, sign up for blog hosting, create blog, begin posting. All posts will be archived into a special folder on my pc, as the posts will form the foundation of an Ebook I will publish next year. During this period I will do all the things on my "start-up" site checklist, which includes promoting the site via Google Adwords, creating backlinks, and generally working on site PR and rank.
- August to November - My main goal this period is to find my blog on page 3 of Google. I know it won't happen overnight, but I think my efforts will pay off by November. Meanwhile, I will continue to post. I'll use the name of my domain and blog to promote myself and my blog through sites like WF, social networks, twitter, etc. I'll learn how to use Google analytics, get a feel for how to use Google Adwords, and gain skills in building backlinks.
- December - If I am on the 3rd page of Google, and have gained a decent amount of daily visitors, I'm going to create a couple of "cheat sheets". These will be 2-3 page Ebooks will be branded to my site, and will be used to promote an email subscription list. By this time I should have a solid understand of the tools I've been using up to that point, and I will begin writing reviews of various products that I want to promote through affiliation links. I do not plan on becoming an affiliate guru, but I do need to understand the basics.
- January 2011 - Assuming December goes the way I plan, I'll launch the email subscription campaign. I'll continue to post, and meanwhile gain my list. Also, by this time, I'll be making more money from my Freelancing, because I'll be able to charge more for my services. I will have War Room access, and know what tools I prefer to use.
- February 2011 - This is when I will tackle the mounds of material I have, and start work on the Ebook. I will also start planning to branch into a slightly different field, and begin the planning process for that.
- June 2011 - This is the month I plan to launch the Ebook, and I should be well into learning another different internet marketing process as well.
- January 2012 - By this time I will have an understanding of several key components of internet marketing, and I will then be able to make a better choice concerning what direction I want to go over the long term. As I am not really huge on the whole blogging thing, I want to have other options. But, I will be able to build that kind of business for others, and that is why it's my first choice as what to dig in and learn.