Internet Marketing is a Joke!

65 replies
Internet Marketing is a joke! At least, that' s how a lot of people coming online treat it. They come online totally unprepared, no money and no clue. Many of them treat forums like some kind of chatroom, where they can hang out all day with their buddies, when they should be somewhere reading a good marketing book. Allow me to tell you a true story:

I started my sales & marketing career years ago selling copy machines for a company called A-Copy, out of Glastonbury, Connecticut. I made a few sales here and there, but I wasn't exactly a superstar. Then one day, I asked a guy who was a superstar why he was so successful. His name was Pat Santinello, and I'll never forget our conversation for as long as I live.

He asked me how many books I had on selling and salesmanship at home. I told him I didn't have any. He told me he had hundreds of books on selling and selling techniques, and buys new ones every week. I asked him why he kept buying sales books, when he was already so successful. His response, "How do you think I got that way?"

He didn't have to say another word. It was at that moment I realized how serious he was about his profession. And he had the results to prove it. After that conversation with Pat Santinello, I too got serious about selling, and started buying books on selling and salesmanship...lots and lots of books. And suddeny, a funny thing happened. I started making lots and lots of sales.

I left A-Copy shortly thereafter, but no matter where I went or what I was selling, I was always the top sales person. And even though I'm now selling online, my approach hasn't changed one bit. I still buy lots and lots of books.

So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home? And if your answer is zero, it's no secret why your struggling. You're struggling because you're not serious about your profession. And until you get serious and start doing the things necessary to be successful, you're going to continue to struggle.

To help you turn things around, I'm going to suggest a list of my 10 favorite books you should buy at your earliest convenience, including several to help you get your mind right. Because if your mind isn't right, you're not going to succeed anyway:

1. The Ultimate Sales letter by Dan Kennedy

2. Advertising Secrets of the Written Word by Joe Sugarman

3. Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay Abraham

4. Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman

5. Words That Sell by Richard Bayan

6. The Unabashed Self-Promoters's Guide by Dr. Jeffrey Lant

7. Live Your Dreams by Les Brown

8. The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

9. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

10. Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

Anyway, these are my 10 favorite books. I'm sure others will chime in with their own list. Just remember, books, tapes and CD's are only tools. You still have to put in the necessary hard work, if you want to succeed.

David Jackson
#internet #joke #marketing
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
    Nice post.

    Napoleon Hill and Dan Kenedy I am aware of - the rest not so much but I'll have to check them out

    Thanks
    Signature
    "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      I hate to burst your bubble but I have ZERO marketing books in this house.

      Now go tell my bank account that I'm not serious.

      No book is going to make you successful. The only thing that is going to do
      that is a solid work ethic and enough smarts to get some basics down.

      Those smarts need not come from some text book, as I have proven with
      my own success.

      Can they help? Sure. But they are NOT a requirement.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301407].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

        Nice post.

        Napoleon Hill and Dan Kenedy I am aware of - the rest not so much but I'll have to check them out

        Thanks
        Steve, I'm familiar with all of them. It's a solid list.

        One common characteristic is that they are all by proven performers.

        And Mr. Wagenheim is also correct - you can be successful without studying what has worked for those going before you. I have a hunch he might not have some of the battle scars he has if he had read some of the books on that list.

        Reading books, even excellent books, is nothing but a pleasant pastime if you don't put what you learn to the test by getting out there and doing something.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301442].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Reading books, even excellent books, is nothing but a pleasant pastime if you don't put what you learn to the test by getting out there and doing something.
          I agree. Which is why the last line of my post says:

          "Just remember, books, tapes and CD's are only tools. You still have to put in the necessary hardwork, if you want to succeed."

          David Jackson
          Signature

          Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
          http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301532].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
          Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

          Steve, I'm familiar with all of them. It's a solid list.

          One common characteristic is that they are all by proven performers.

          And Mr. Wagenheim is also correct - you can be successful without studying what has worked for those going before you. I have a hunch he might not have some of the battle scars he has if he had read some of the books on that list.

          Reading books, even excellent books, is nothing but a pleasant pastime if you don't put what you learn to the test by getting out there and doing something.
          I couldn't agree with you more. Taking action and applying what you've learned to the field in order to make the most of internet marketing is huge. I personally think it's still important to study from the past mistake/success to get some valuable idea before taking the next step to save some time and energy.
          Signature
          I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


          Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302467].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author LucasT
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        I hate to burst your bubble but I have ZERO marketing books in this house.

        Now go tell my bank account that I'm not serious.

        No book is going to make you successful. The only thing that is going to do
        that is a solid work ethic and enough smarts to get some basics down.

        Those smarts need not come from some text book, as I have proven with
        my own success.

        Can they help? Sure. But they are NOT a requirement.

        Mr. Wagenheim,

        You have previously posted a review on the Nitro Blueprint system, is this not a marketing book? Do you own this particular manual?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302359].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by LucasT View Post

          Mr. Wagenheim,

          You have previously posted a review on the Nitro Blueprint system, is this not a marketing book? Do you own this particular manual?
          Let me qualify this.

          1. I have none of the hard cover books mentioned in the OP or any hard
          cover books on marketing, copywriting or whatever. That is what the OP
          specifically meant, if I understood his post correctly. I don't think he was
          referring to ebooks.

          2. Nitro Blueprint I got simply to review it so I could sell it. I get copies of
          every product I sell because I want to be able to write intelligently about
          the product. That is how I make so many sales with affiliate products.

          So in that respect, I have tons of stuff.

          But I didn't buy these ebooks and courses to learn from. I bought them
          to be able to sell. I knew most of this stuff before I even got them, which
          is why I was able to say, for each product, "This works, this works and
          this doesn't work" because I've done what this says to do and can say
          from personal experience that this tactic does bring results.

          My formal education essentially came from 2 ebooks back in 2003 and
          a lot of trial and error. Those ebooks, by today's standards are hopelessly
          outdated and covered nothing about article marketing, list building,
          copywriting and product creation...all the things that make me the bulk
          of my income today.

          There was a little bit on affiliate marketing (very little ) some PPC, which
          I hardly use at all and some Adsense stuff, which I do use and still works
          very well.

          I got an education in probably the toughest way...doing.

          I never said in my reply that these books can't help.

          The OP made a statement.

          Here it is:

          How many marketing books do you have at home? And if your
          answer is zero, it's no secret why your struggling. You're struggling
          because you're not serious about your profession.
          I simply refuted his statement saying that not having marketing books
          does NOT mean you're not serious. I struggled for months at the beginning
          making only $28 in my first 5 months. I had none of the books the OP
          suggested. But I continued to work hard and eventually, through trial
          and error, made something of myself.

          Sure, had I had something like Nitro Blueprint when I first started, or all
          these books at my disposal and read them, I probably would have been
          earning a nice income within 30 to 60 days. I don't dispute that. Knowledge
          is power.

          But buying books doesn't make you or not make you serious about your
          business. What makes you serious is the amount of effort you're willing
          to put into your business.

          I know people with all these books who are total failures.

          Why?

          Because they don't do a damn thing.

          I'll take somebody who's willing to bust their butt with absolutely NO book
          smarts at all over somebody with every Dan Kennedy and Joe Sugarman
          book in existence who's not willing to do the work any day of the week.

          See what ticks me off about threads like these, and why I responded like
          I did is when people make blanket statements like the OP did.

          Not serious because you don't buy a freakin Dan Kennedy book?

          Bull sh*t!

          And that's all I'm saying.

          Buy 'em and use 'em? Great. You're ahead of the game, naturally.

          But don't tell me that people who don't buy books are not serious because
          that's just plain horse manure.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302996].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jonas Iri
        I agreee with Steven Wagenheim here.

        I believe that those who are successful in IM have "got it" in some way. No need to read any book at all, simply because it is not something they teach you, it is something you LEARN.

        Of the list above I believe that the only mandatory book should be Think and Grow Rich. Right at the beginning you will find that he talks about a "secret" hidden in the book that is the key to success. Believe me, it is not some sort of mumbo jumbo to make you read the book (well, maybe a little), there is REALLY a secret in the book there. And that secret is the key to success in ANY field. No joke.

        You may think now "Great, let's read the book to find out what it is all about".

        Slow down cowboy. It is considered a secret for one simple reason. You cannot learn it from the book. You need to be ready for it to get it. And once you "get it", you will see it everywhere in the book. And also in every person that is successful. Every. Single. One.

        And I bet that you read about it thousands of time, people told you about it, you read about it on magazines and such. I can probably write that secret here on the forum right now, and 95% of the people would not get it. They would go like "yeah, I already know that". No you don't, or else you would already make a LOT of money, believe me.

        I'm not teasing you, it is just the truth.

        Sorry for the digression
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302406].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AllAboutAction
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        I hate to burst your bubble but I have ZERO marketing books in this house.

        Now go tell my bank account that I'm not serious.
        I don't think you burst his bubble at all because you are not the target of his post.

        He said specifically, "So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home?" If you are struggling, this is a fair challenge. If you walk into this forum thinking you're going to plop down $27 for a WSO and watch the cash roll in, maybe cracking a book will give you a better understanding of the craft you are undertaking.

        But if, like you say, you are already a successful online marketer without ever having cracked a marketing book, then clearly you're already taking the trade seriously.

        I am curious, though: Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302409].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
          Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post


          I am curious, though: Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?
          I dont think Steven ever said that. Nobody is ever done learning.

          But Steven has said on many occasions he makes more than enough money for his lifestyle and would rather be doing other activities instead of learning how to make more money.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302441].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author regska
          Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post

          I don't think you burst his bubble at all because you are not the target of his post.

          He said specifically, "So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home?" If you are struggling, this is a fair challenge. If you walk into this forum thinking you're going to plop down $27 for a WSO and watch the cash roll in, maybe cracking a book will give you a better understanding of the craft you are undertaking.

          But if, like you say, you are already a successful online marketer without ever having cracked a marketing book, then clearly you're already taking the trade seriously.

          I am curious, though: Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?
          You're right. David didn't say that books are a requirement to make you successful. But it can help you learn more and develop your skills. Steve, if you don't have any books at home or you didn't read some of the marketing and business books, how did you learn all of them? I'm sure Bill Gates and Warren Buffet did read some stuff about business and marketing.

          I only have 2 books at home, but I always read some stuff over the internet, because I'm lazy to buy books and I prefer to just read on the internet. So Steve, I believe in you, that you don't have any books at home, but I'm definitely sure, even if I don't know you in person, that at least you read some stuff and learn from it. You won't become successful if you don't learn from something.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302626].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
          Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post

          I don't think you burst his bubble at all because you are not the target of his post.

          He said specifically, "So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home?" If you are struggling, this is a fair challenge.

          I am curious, though: Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?
          Thanks for reading my post, AllAboutAction. You actually made a compelling case for the defense. I intentionally chose to ignore Steven's post, because on another thread, I witnessed a childish back and forth between Steven and another warrior. The argument really took the focus away from a very interesting thread. Actually, it ruined the thread in my opinion. And I didn't want that to happen here.

          Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a good debate. After all, fair debate is the true essence of a marketing forum. However, in this case, the tone of Steven's post was so obviously hostile, I didn't see any point in engagement. I still don't.

          David Jackson
          Signature

          Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
          http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303025].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AllAboutAction
            Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post

            Thanks for reading my post, AllAboutAction. You actually made a compelling case for the defense. I intentionally chose to ignore Steven's post, because on another thread, I witnessed a childish back and forth between Steven and another warrior. The argument really took the focus away from a very interesting thread. Actually, it ruined the thread in my opinion. And I didn't want that to happen here.
            It's a shame that the point of your post was missed by a lot of people here. Anyone who has spent more than a day on these forums knows that "just get to work" is the commonly espoused wisdom around here -- one that I obviously agree with. But I see quite often that when someone brings up some additional information, many people respond by saying that all that's needed is hard work. I didn't see anywhere that you said hard work wasn't necessary, in fact it looks like you took it as a basic premise.

            Here's how I read your post: "If you are taking action and still not getting anywhere, try reading some of these great books." A very valuable post, in my opinion, because you listed some books that I hadn't heard of alongside some books that I think are excellent.

            Perhaps you could have worded your post better -- it seems many people zeroed right in on the point about books and started shooting. I took it to mean "educate yourself" but maybe I've learned over the years to allow a little leeway when I listen to marketers. For the record, I don't think you really think Internet Marketing is a joke, either. Even though, sure enough you said it right there in the title!
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303640].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
              Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post

              It's a shame that the point of your post was missed by a lot of people here. Perhaps you could have worded your post better -- it seems many people zeroed right in on the point about books and started shooting.
              A very wise woman once told me that if a someone likes you, they will generally give you the benefit of the doubt, if you happen to misspeak. But if someone dislikes you, they will immediately pounce on your inartful words and attempt to use them against you.

              David Jackson
              Signature

              Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
              http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303777].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post

          I don't think you burst his bubble at all because you are not the target of his post.

          He said specifically, "So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home?" If you are struggling, this is a fair challenge. If you walk into this forum thinking you're going to plop down $27 for a WSO and watch the cash roll in, maybe cracking a book will give you a better understanding of the craft you are undertaking.

          But if, like you say, you are already a successful online marketer without ever having cracked a marketing book, then clearly you're already taking the trade seriously.

          I am curious, though: Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?

          Here is his statement, again.

          How many marketing books do you have at home? And if your
          answer is zero, it's no secret why your struggling. You're struggling
          because you're not serious about your profession.
          That is what I am refuting. Nothing more, nothing less.

          He made a blanket statement about people who are serious and not
          serious about their business.

          I bought none of these books when I first started and was struggling.

          Does that mean I wasn't serious?

          If that's true, then why did I become successful? Certainly if I wasn't
          serious I wouldn't have become successful.

          It's blanket statements like these that I have a problem with.

          As far as reading to learn more, nowhere did I ever say this wasn't a good
          idea. Knowledge is power.

          That is NOT what I am refuting.

          THIS is what I am refuting:

          How many marketing books do you have at home? And if your
          answer is zero, it's no secret why your struggling. You're struggling
          because you're not serious about your profession.
          Are we clear now?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303060].message }}
        • Originally Posted by AllAboutAction View Post

          Do you honestly think you know so much about marketing and business that reading some of the best books on the subject won't be worth your time?
          Trial + Tracking + Tweaking >>>>>> a thousand books.

          Reading is not necessary in this business. Taking action is.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303237].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theemperor
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        I hate to burst your bubble but I have ZERO marketing books in this house.

        Now go tell my bank account that I'm not serious.

        No book is going to make you successful. The only thing that is going to do
        that is a solid work ethic and enough smarts to get some basics down.

        Those smarts need not come from some text book, as I have proven with
        my own success.

        Can they help? Sure. But they are NOT a requirement.
        Steve, interesting point - so can I ask ... how did you learn how to create good sales copy?

        Was it from buying WSO's? Studying other people's sales pages? Trial and Testing? Reading free advice on the Warrior Forum? An innate ability i.e. you are a natural?

        Because I read Maria Veloso's book on writing sales copy for the web, and it has transformed how I write to sell
        Signature
        Learn to code faster, and remove the roadblocks. Get stuff done and shipped! PM me and I can help you with programming tutoring, specialising in Web and the following languages: Javascript ~ HTML ~ CSS ~ React ~ JQuery ~ Typescript ~ NodeJS ~ C#.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302455].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        I hate to burst your bubble but I have ZERO marketing books in this house.

        Now go tell my bank account that I'm not serious.

        No book is going to make you successful. The only thing that is going to do
        that is a solid work ethic and enough smarts to get some basics down.
        My goodness, I couldn't have said it better myself!

        Stop reading and messing around with books and "magic" programs, and start applying some solid common sense and hard work into your business. It's the only way forward.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303228].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OnlineMasterMind
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304510].message }}
        • Originally Posted by OnlineMasterMind View Post

          Leaders are readers.
          This is so wrong! Leaders are not readers... leaders are action and risk takers! Leaders are the ones establishing trends, setting the rules and breaking molds, and you won't break any mold by reading a book.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304640].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author OnlineMasterMind
            [DELETED]
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304987].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
              Originally Posted by OnlineMasterMind View Post

              Yup, you're right... and from looking at the traffic to your site I can definitely tell you're a LEADER in your niche.

              Why would you want to read anything, right? You obviously know it all.
              OnlineMasterMind, please don't get drawn into the trap of responding to ridiculous and negative comments. It's only going to develop into an endless back and forth, which nobody wins. I don't want my thread ruined because of juvenile nonsense. Also, it distracts from the focus of this thread, which isn't fair to the other readers. I've intentionally elected not to respond directly to the negative comments. I've learned you're not going to change the opinions of certain people anyway. So why bother responding to them?

              David Jackson
              Signature

              Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
              http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305088].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Lance K
            Originally Posted by Anonymous Affiliate View Post

            This is so wrong! Leaders are not readers... leaders are action and risk takers! Leaders are the ones establishing trends, setting the rules and breaking molds, and you won't break any mold by reading a book.
            I don't think the comment was that reading made leaders. It was that leaders are readers. Which I would say is an accurate statement for the most part. Leaders are always learning AS WELL AS doing.
            Signature
            "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
            ~ Zig Ziglar
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305412].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
              Thank you to everyone who thanked me for this thread. I am humbled you took the time to spend your valuable time reading what I wrote. All the best...

              David Jackson
              Signature

              Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
              http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305451].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
          Originally Posted by OnlineMasterMind View Post

          If you want to be the best... reading is required.

          Leaders are readers.

          You seem satisfied with your success... and if you are... then wonderful.

          I'm not being sarcastic either... if you are content, than great.

          But if you want to grow and truly unleash your full potential... reading is not optional... it's required.
          Wow...I haven't heard that phrase in years...Leaders are readers. I absolutely, positively couldn't agree more! I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and read my post, OnlineMasterMind.

          David Jackson
          Signature

          Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
          http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304815].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

      Nice post.

      Napoleon Hill and Dan Kenedy I am aware of - the rest not so much but I'll have to check them out
      Thanks, Steve. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imrat
    I know some of these, but most of them are new. Just looking on itunes for some audioversions of these because I got lots of travelling to do this week.

    here are the ones with audiobooks on itunes:

    7. Live Your Dreams by Les Brown

    8. The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

    9. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

    10. Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301429].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by imrat View Post

      here are the ones with audiobooks on itunes:

      7. Live Your Dreams by Les Brown

      8. The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

      9. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

      10. Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
      Live Your Dreams will blow your socks off!

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301450].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author InternetM39482
    That's a good list and I have most of those titles.

    But, as a matter of fact, I bought them just this year and that was after I was successful with this stuff. I agree with Steve - they are good, they help you, but they are not a requirement.

    Even if newbies don't spend time on forums and spend it on reading books, it doesn't mean they are going to be successful. They may cultivate a good mindset, and some business knowledge; but unless they take focused action, they are not going to be successful.

    Check this website for more (good) titles: http://personalmba.com/best-business-books/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Swastik View Post

      That's a good list and I have most of those titles.

      Even if newbies don't spend time on forums and spend it on reading books, it doesn't mean they are going to be successful. They may cultivate a good mindset, and some business knowledge; but unless they take focused action, they are not going to be successful.
      Never said otherwise. Read my entire post.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303987].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
        I doubt it'll do much good, but I'll try this one more time:

        Books, tapes and CD's are only tools. You still have to put in the necessary hard work, if you want to succeed."

        That's what it clearly says at the end of my original post. I NEVER said books were the "be all, end all" key to success, because they aren't. I NEVER, EVER said otherwise. Some of you are reading something into my original post that just isn't there. Books are just a tool. You stiill have to apply what you learn and work hard.

        Could I have worded it better? Absolutely! And I'll take full responsibility for that. Unfortunately, you can't put the genie back into the bottle, once it's out. In either case, I hope this clears up this matter, once and for all.

        David Jackson
        Signature

        Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
        http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Online Bliss
    David,
    definitely some I have not heard of.
    Expanding one's knowledge is priority #1
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Signature
    You've got it Made
    with the Guy in the Shades!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301580].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Online Bliss View Post

      David,
      definitely some I have not heard of.
      Expanding one's knowledge is priority #1
      Thanks for the heads up!
      Thanks, Online Bliss! I couldn't agree more. Expanding one's knowledge should always be a priority.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301675].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Imran Naseem
    Banned
    Knowledge is good but it will not make you rich overnight.

    The ability to take action and actually do something will make you successful. Not just sit there like a chicken,expecting money to fly from the sky just because you read some GURU X Book
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301685].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Thanks for sharing the books David.

    I advise anybody new to IM to read Think And Grow Rich until the pages fall out. Dog ear it, read it, study it and more importantly use the principles....apply them or the book won't do you any good.

    Do this before buying any marketing type book because if your mental tools are honed then the practical knowledge which you acquire won't be worth much, because you won't use it properly. Approach your online venture by studying the mindsets of the most successful people in history and you will tend to become successful.

    The reason that you will be successful is not necessarily because you will be doing certain things but rather doing things in a certain way. This school of thought is straight from The Science Of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles, another must read for any IM'er.....and yes like anything in TSOGR that statement is much deeper than it sounds.

    Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301719].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by ryanbiddulph View Post

      Thanks for sharing the books David.

      I advise anybody new to IM to read Think And Grow Rich until the pages fall out. Dog ear it, read it, study it and more importantly use the principles....apply them or the book won't do you any good.
      You're quite welcome, Ryan. And thank you for your contributions to this thread. Good stuff!

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    Thanks for sharing and telling your story. Knowledge is power. But that's only half the battle, of course. Knowledge without action is just - pardon the metaphor - mental masturbation.

    That's where Wagenheim's comments complete the circle. Do stuff. If you do stuff that is informed, all the better. But even doing uninformed stuff can help you move forward. It just tends to take longer and give you more scars to talk about at dinner parties.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      Thanks for sharing and telling your story.
      No problem, John. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301897].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hally0301
        Great advice and great list David.

        I think there is definitely a cycle involved in being successful.

        Knowledge combined with Action brings Results which lead to Experience.

        Experience yields knowledge which when combined with more action generates more results and experience.

        These results can be either positive or negative depending on the knowledge and the action that generates them.

        So, if you don't like your results you either need to gain more knowledge or use different actions, or maybe both.

        Either way, don't give up because for each way that doesn't work you are one step closer to finding the way that will work for you.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302029].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
          Originally Posted by hally0301 View Post

          Great advice and great list David.
          Thank you, Steve. I appreciate you saying that.

          David Jackson
          Signature

          Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
          http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302991].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DollarsToDollars
    An interesting discussion ... I'm sure that everyone would agree though that what you need to succeed is some form of ongoing education in your field of choice, plus practice ... LOTS of practice. And in internet marketing far too many people think its all sooooooo simple. Like everything else though you need to educate yourself somehow, practice what you learn and keep monitoring the results ... until you find the particular blend that works best for YOU. Some of us love to read, some of us listen to learn, some of us watch. For some of us though the best way to learn what we need to know is to get out into the trenches and just do it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2301868].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302072].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302337].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheBrain
    Heard about some of the books but not read them. However I am currently reading "Influence -The psychology of persuasion" by Dr. Robert Cialdini. Personally recommend it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302360].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tyroneshum
    Great books! Also, I would like to add the 4-Hour Work Week, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and the Science of Getting Rich. I wouldn't be what I am now without them.

    Absolutely, having a guide and sticking to the most effective ones for you is the best way to keep you going with Internet Marketing.
    Signature
    outsourcinglive.com
    Follow me on my 90 Day Challenge to rank no. 1 on Google
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me at: outsourcinglive.com/google-plus
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302370].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ernie Lo
    Books can help just like lots of things can help us...products, motivational videos etc

    But lets get one thing straight.

    If we can choose only one reason why 99% of people fail at any goal...it's because....

    They don't do enough work and give up too soon!- that's it. They're lazy and prefer to dream about their goal instead of taking consistent action and steps to get closer to their goal each day.

    Hard work will beat reading a book or doing anything else, any day of the week.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302382].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302691].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rajivkumar900
      Books can help or not ?

      let me tell you one small story..in a rural village, people were not educated, one day one big elephant came to village but nobody was aware of this kind of animal on that time...but there was one little boy who just came from a city who knows elephant can be control if someone sit on his head and know how to handle him and he read all these things in a book.

      story doesnt matter a lot but my point is book can help you identify things and circumstances when you actually face them in your real life.

      sometime it happen we face unknown situation on that time book can give us reference and we can related things with our prior knowledge gain through books with current scenerio.

      So moral of the stories book really can help but in my opinion book are not only requirement to make you successful.
      if its true then librarian should be most successful person on this earn cause he always sit between thousands of books..

      so Action is what really can help you to be successful in life.
      Book can tell you how to take action but you need to take real action in order to be successful in any area of your life.

      Hope i make some sense.
      Rajiv
      Signature

      Rajiv Kumar
      Skpe: rajivkumar900
      Email id : rajivkumar900@gmail.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2302726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nongnut36
    I have to agree with you on this I am newbie but willing to learn and take action I have got about 4 projects now. I am a bit overwhelmed I have got a lot to get through. I know can make the transition from newbie to making good sales. Like ev erything it takes time. Thanks
    Signature
    $500 In Less Than 15 Days LIVE! No More Powerpoint Presentations. Click For 4 Minute Video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303050].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by nongnut36 View Post

      I have to agree with you on this I am newbie but willing to learn and take action I have got about 4 projects now. I am a bit overwhelmed I have got a lot to get through. I know can make the transition from newbie to making good sales. Like ev erything it takes time. Thanks
      You're quite welcome, nongnut36. Thank you. The fact you're willing to learn and take action is only half the battle. You also have to be willing to work hard, like I said in my original post. For whatever reason, somehow, the "work hard part" slipped by a lot of people. But it's actually the very last line in my original post. It reads:

      "Just remember, books, tapes and CD's are only tools. You still have to put in the necessary hard work, if you want to succeed."

      I never said books were the "be all, end all" key to success, because they aren't. They are just a tool. You stiill have to apply what you learn and work hard.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303082].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harmain
    Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post

    Internet Marketing is a joke! At least, that' s how a lot of people coming online treat it. They come online totally unprepared, no money and no clue. Many of them treat forums like some kind of chatroom, where they can hang out all day with their buddies, when they should be somewhere reading a good marketing book. Allow me to tell you a true story:

    I started my sales & marketing career years ago selling copy machines for a company called A-Copy, out of Glastonbury, Connecticut. I made a few sales here and there, but I wasn't exactly a superstar. Then one day, I asked a guy who was a superstar why he was so successful. His name was Pat Santinello, and I'll never forget our conversation for as long as I live.

    He asked me how many books I had on selling and salesmanship at home. I told him I didn't have any. He told me he had hundreds of books on selling and selling techniques, and buys new ones every week. I asked him why he kept buying sales books, when he was so successful. His response, "How do you think I got that way?"

    He didn't have to say another word. It was at that moment I realized how serious he was about his profession. And he had the results to prove it. After that conversation with Pat Santinello, I too got serious about selling, and started buying books on selling and salesmanship...lots and lots of books. And suddeny, a funny thing happened. I started making lots and lots of sales.

    I left A-Copy shortly thereafter, but no matter where I went or what I was selling, I was always the top sales person. And even though I'm now selling online, my approach hasn't changed one bit. I still buy lots and lots of books.

    So if you're struggling with making money online, my question to you is this: How many marketing books do you have at home? And if your answer is zero, it's no secret why your struggling. You're struggling because you're not serious about your profession. And until you get serious and start doing the things necessary to be successful, you're going to continue to struggle.

    To help you turn things around, I'm going to suggest a list of my 10 favorite books you should buy at your earliest convenience, including several to help you get your mind right. Because if your mind isn't right, you're not going to succeed anyway:

    1. The Ultimate Sales letter by Dan Kennedy

    2. Advertising Secrets of the Written Word by Joe Sugarman

    3. Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay Abraham

    4. Cashvertising by Drew Eric Whitman

    5. Words That Sell by Richard Bayan

    6. The Unabashed Self-Promoters's Guide by Dr. Jeffrey Lant

    7. Live Your Dreams by Les Brown

    8. The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

    9. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

    10. Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

    Anyway, these are my 10 favorite books. I'm sure others will chime in with their own list. Just remember, books, tapes and CD's are only tools. You still have to put in the necessary hard work, if you want to succeed.

    David Jackson
    Hi David
    thanks for detailed info by your own experience. cool info but don't say it
    just a joke because all seo workers (including yourself) are earning by this marketing process
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Harmain View Post

      Hi David
      thanks for detailed info by your own experience. cool info but don't say it
      just a joke because all seo workers (including yourself) are earning by this marketing process
      Hi Harmain:

      The title of this thread is merely a play on words. I simply meant a lot of people treat IM like it's a joke, by not taking it seriously. I certainly don't consider IM a joke. It's how I feed my family.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303308].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BobRenwick
    I have all kinds of books and ebooks on various aspects of internet marketing. There was a time a few years ago when I was starting out that I bought everything in sight. Every new magic formula that came out was a candidate for my ever growing library.

    Problem was that my income tended to hover right around zero.

    Then one day I came to the realization that if I would just attack learning and applying the content of each book with the same enthusiasm that I approached buying them it might actually make a difference.

    My problem was two-sided and I think many would-be marketers fall into the same trap.

    First of all I unconsciously made the assumption that just buying and owning the newest thing would automatically create "massive streams of income" (their words, not mine). I knew this was silly but I was actually addicted to the feel good mentality that I got when I made such a purchase, believing that now that I finally had found the mother of all internet marketing books great riches would surely follow.

    The other part of the problem was that, being a fairly anal personality type, I had this need to know every aspect of a subject before bravely plunging into the application of it. Thus I would read, reread, print out if an ebook book, take notes, study notes, read again, underline, highlite, and on and on ad infinitum.

    I don't believe I'm revealing some great new principle here as we all know this stuff. You really have to do and do and do. The shortest distance to success in anything is "doing," not reading about it in a book.

    I love my books and have learned much from them but for me they almost got in the way of success. They're objects that serve a purpose, but you can't live vicariously through them.

    At some point you need to shut yourself off from all the distractions of new product launches and just do the work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303263].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
    Originally Posted by billhuss786 View Post

    Great Post mate!
    Thanks, Bill. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

    David Jackson
    Signature

    Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
    http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303314].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BlazingSwitch
      That really sums it up well. Thanks for those reference books. I'll have to give em a peek.
      Signature


      SEO VPS & DEDICATED WEB HOSTING | 5000+ SUBNETS | DOZEN+ COUNTRIES
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303318].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
        Originally Posted by Barefootsies View Post

        That really sums it up well. Thanks for those reference books. I'll have to give em a peek.
        Thanks, Barefootsies. They're all great books that should be in everyone's library!

        David Jackson
        Signature

        Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
        http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303451].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Lance K
          That is a solid list of books. VERY SOLID.

          I highly doubt anyone here could read them all and not learn something that benefits them greatly. Whether it be personal growth, business growth, or both.

          Sure you can succeed without ever reading a single one. Just like it's possible to earn your PGA Tour Card without ever having any formal instruction.

          But don't let the discussion of the semantics of the OP take away from the fact that the books listed will likely be worth more to you than any $2,000 guru marketing course. And for a fraction of the cost. And they can be bought one at a time as you choose.




          P.S.

          Here are my favorites from that list...

          Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

          Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay Abraham
          Signature
          "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
          ~ Zig Ziglar
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303650].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AllAboutAction
            Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

            Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay Abraham
            I loved "The Sticking Point Solution". I have the audiobook and every time I listen to it (at the gym, on a plane, etc.) I learn something new. That man has some amazingly creative ideas.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303659].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
            Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

            That is a solid list of books. VERY SOLID.

            I highly doubt anyone here could read them all and not learn something that benefits them greatly. Whether it be personal growth, business growth, or both.

            Sure you can succeed without ever reading a single one. Just like it's possible to earn your PGA Tour Card without ever having any formal instruction.

            But don't let the discussion of the semantics of the OP take away from the fact that the books listed will likely be worth more to you than any $2,000 guru marketing course. And for a fraction of the cost. And they can be bought one at a time as you choose.
            Thanks, Lance! I couldn't have said it better myself.

            David Jackson
            Signature

            Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
            http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2303844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Parkhouse
    Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post


    10. Pyscho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz
    My favourite book of all time!

    I've used it so much that the pages have nearly worn out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304849].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
      Know what's ironic? That people totally misunderstood my point.

      Anybody who says that reading can't help you and improve you, regardless
      of what it is, is daft. I know very few geniuses in this world who can figure
      things out on their own without reading at least something...myself included.

      But to state that somebody is not serious about their business because they
      don't read is just nonsense. It is not a requirement.

      David, I'm sorry that you feel that I don't like you. I don't even know you.
      I have no opinions about you personally one way or the other.

      What I do have a problem with is blanket statements like that because
      they are an insult to people who maybe can't read or don't have the
      finances to get books. It doesn't make them any less serious about their
      business if they choose to learn it by trial and error.

      If anything, I have a lot of respect for those people...something that you
      seem to not have based on the very statement you made.

      But nowhere did I say don't read or that reading is a waste of time.

      So folks, stop reading stuff into things that isn't there.

      I commented on the statement...nothing more...nothing less.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2304908].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
      Originally Posted by Paul Parkhouse View Post

      My favourite book of all time!

      I've used it so much that the pages have nearly worn out.
      Yep, Psycho-Cybernetics is a fantastic read and should be in everyone's library.

      David Jackson
      Signature

      Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
      http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305245].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kingprosperity
        Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post

        Yep, Psycho-Cybernetics is a fantastic read and should be in everyone's library.

        David Jackson
        Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

        Know what's ironic? That people totally misunderstood my point.

        Anybody who says that reading can't help you and improve you, regardless
        of what it is, is daft. I know very few geniuses in this world who can figure
        things out on their own without reading at least something...myself included.

        But to state that somebody is not serious about their business because they
        don't read is just nonsense. It is not a requirement.

        David, I'm sorry that you feel that I don't like you. I don't even know you.
        I have no opinions about you personally one way or the other.

        What I do have a problem with is blanket statements like that because
        they are an insult to people who maybe can't read or don't have the
        finances to get books. It doesn't make them any less serious about their
        business if they choose to learn it by trial and error.

        If anything, I have a lot of respect for those people...something that you
        seem to not have based on the very statement you made.

        But nowhere did I say don't read or that reading is a waste of time.

        So folks, stop reading stuff into things that isn't there.

        I commented on the statement...nothing more...nothing less.
        Well... I like this post of Steven. (English not my first language). Its true that when I started Internet Marketing, I faced lots of problems. like I cant afford a credit card et cetera. but. This forum helped me alot and now I started earning after a lot of struggle (though not that good but am still trying to make it best).

        That time I cant afford books... but people like Tim, Steven, Alexa, mlord10 and david you also helped me alot. I read you people post and I found it very helpful for my starting career. There are other many precious people also that helped me alot.

        But seriously, David you are a diamond, this post made me feel little insult because I remember those times very well when I not afford to buy many books of IM.

        That time it was not a joke and still it's not a joke I think. The people who want to be successful, they will one day but by you all senior's help.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305289].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author David Jackson
          Originally Posted by kingprosperity View Post

          David you are a diamond, this post made me feel little insult because I remember those times very well when I not afford to buy many books of IM.
          kingprosperity, it was not my intent to insult poor people, or people who can't read. I sincerely apologize to you for that. I try to be sensitive at all times, because I grew up, dirt poor and on welfare. So I know what it feels like to have nothing. There was a time when I also couldn't even afford to buy comic books. I used to live in the public library, because I loved reading so much. In addition, there are members of my own family who can't read.

          So kingprosperity, I apologize to you and anyone else I might have offended for my poor choice of words. The ironic thing is my post was meant to motivational.

          David Jackson
          Signature

          Powerful, Free Marketing Tips to Help Grow Your Business!
          http://www.free-marketing-tips-blog.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel F. Lavoie
    Why people fail at making money online?

    They don't treat it like it a real business. All they want is to make a quick buck here and there. As soon as the first problem rises up, they give up and they jump to the next opportunity... or another WSO.

    Dan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Biggy Fat
    IM is far, FAR from a joke. It's extremely hard to succeed in it, but the rewards are HIGH.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author john43
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305476].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author condra
      Talking more generally, not just about Internet Marketing, I find physical books to be superior to PDFs or forums, in many ways..

      I can read say 30 pages of a printed book, in a short period of time, without being distracted, withing getting eye strain or headache.
      Reading the same 30 pages from a computer screen would leave my brain feeling like it had been microwaved.

      I can take a physical book to the beach, read it in bed, quickly highlight and bookmark different sections. I'm not a ludite, I love technology, but no matter what anyone says, I still think books are more convenient and versatile than digital media.
      Signature
      Abstract brand name generator. FREE.
      __________________________________________________ ___________________________
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2305600].message }}

Trending Topics