Do people buy products just because Gurus endorse it?

18 replies
Ok, so buying something because someone of an authoritative or popularity status is an old marketing method.

People buy from celebrities because they want to be the celeb (i.e. TV commericials and products endorse by actors/actresses).

Even in the entertainment industry, people buy crappy music just because their favorite artist sings it. If Justin Bieber were to come up with a new crappy song, you can bet millions would still buy his latest single and swear it's probably the best song yet. The same with Britney Spears, Jonas Bro, and other so-called music artists coming out with crappy music.

What about IM with all these gurus? Same thing, right?

They can release a product launch for something above average and thousands of people will buy it. They can even release a real crappy product and tons of people will still flock to buy it every week.

I'm guessing they have the trust factor, the credibility, and the popular "guru" status.

Now, let's say Frank Kern, Ewen Chia, Ryan Deiss, Russell Brunson, Mike Filsaime, and all these gurus came together to cook up something sleazy as a "social experiment." They decided to pull off the biggest Internet Marketing prank to see how blind their followers are by releasing a new ebook.

A 2-page short ebook reminding people to first open a Clickbank account, working hard, smile, and follow your dreams. A very short ebook with simple vague messages.

Those gurus then promote to their huge 500K mailing list as being the latest and most original "ground breaking" IM product there is for $97.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of people who paid $97 just for a 2-page ebook suggesting to "work hard", "open a Clickbank account",etc, how many would come up with testimonials like...

"Wow, Frank, this is worth the $97 - thanks for reminding us -- we need it!"

"Mike -- in times of an information-overload age, this is the exact product we all need. Worth every penny."

Yet, what about the lesser known successful IMers who are doing real well, releasing real products of substance at a cheaper price, that doesn't have a huge list...shouldn't those folks be sought after more?

What would happen if the gurus carry out the experiment?
#buy #endorse #gurus #people #products
  • Profile picture of the author John Rogers
    Originally Posted by excoder01 View Post

    A 2-page short ebook reminding people to first open a Clickbank account, working hard, smile, and follow your dreams. A very short ebook with simple vague messages.
    That's an extreme example, and I really don't believe that any of the people you mentioned would be foolish enough to do it. Nor do I think most of them are interested in deceiving their customers in such a way.

    They do have customers that buy based a simple recommendation without thinking twice about it. Doing what you suggested would likely kill that trust with many of those customers.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author excoder01
    Yes, I did mention it being a prank though. lol.

    Something like promoting this kind of stuff around April Fool's?
    Signature
    Affiliate Review Templates - get affiliate review templates every week. No tech or marketing skills required!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317682].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
    I have seen many experiments carried out... research is one of the things big teams can do easier than the single man army.

    Some of those experiments end up being big hits and bringing a lot of money and some others are just holes in the pocket and get shut down after closing the cycle.

    They might do what you say, except for one reason... The Name. All of them are putting the name on the line with each new product and each recommendation. Their reputation is the most valuable thing they have. None of them worked so hard to do something so stupid. They are clever boys and girls, and they know what this is about.

    Some times the products can be better than others; but, at least those I reviewed, had original elements and golden nuggets that worth the price of the whole package for the right person.

    Sandra
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
    I want to answer your question, and I'm in a unique position to do so. But no one would believe me, and most people would just argue. To answer the question in your subject line though, YES.
    Signature

    Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
    Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317867].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lance K
      Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

      I want to answer your question, and I'm in a unique position to do so. But no one would believe me, and most people would just argue. To answer the question in your subject line though, YES.
      Colin, I don't see how anyone who has been around for more than a day wouldn't believe that the answer to the question in the subject line is YES. Or the fact that some people (probably more than most would guess) would write a glowing testimonial to a "guru" even on a bad recommendation. I believe Robert Cialdini refers to it as "Commitment and Consistency".
      Signature
      "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
      ~ Zig Ziglar
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317964].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Colin Theriot
        Originally Posted by Lance K View Post

        Colin, I don't see how anyone who has been around for more than a day wouldn't believe that the answer to the question in the subject line is YES. Or the fact that some people (probably more than most would guess) would write a glowing testimonial to a "guru" even on a bad recommendation. I believe Robert Cialdini refers to it as "Commitment and Consistency".
        Well, yeah. But more to the OP, people don't often connect the dots to realize that if you as a marketer know you should test things in your market - and you are on marketing lists for high end marketers - the fact is you are being experimented on.

        I know. I've designed some of the tests.

        I've written copy designed specifically to bait for testimonials that get posted on comments below pre-launch videos, which in turn create visible information cascades. What it looks like is not what it is, and you'd be amazed at what you can make legitimately happen ON PURPOSE when you have a powerful personality associated with a large degree of exformation already imbedded in the prospect's mind.

        The thing is, even though you and I KNOW the factors in play, it doesn't make us less susceptible. It actually makes us MORE susceptible due to yet another cognitive bias.

        We all labor under the illusion that anything we do has any factor of free will devoid of outside influence, but the fact is, there is LITTLE that ANYONE does that is not the direct result of a deep and unconscious drive that people try to justify and rationalize away, or of outside influence that can be so subtle as to be imperceptible.
        Signature

        Fair warning: It's possible I'm arguing with you because I have nothing better to do.
        Join my free copywriting group on Facebook: http://CultOfCopy.com

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2318010].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Lance K
          Originally Posted by Colin Theriot View Post

          Well, yeah. But more to the OP, people don't often connect the dots to realize that if you as a marketer know you should test things in your market - and you are on marketing lists for high end marketers - the fact is you are being experimented on.

          I know. I've designed some of the tests.

          I've written copy designed specifically to bait for testimonials that get posted on comments below pre-launch videos, which in turn create visible information cascades. What it looks like is not what it is, and you'd be amazed at what you can make legitimately happen ON PURPOSE when you have a powerful personality associated with a large degree of exformation already imbedded in the prospect's mind.

          The thing is, even though you and I KNOW the factors in play, it doesn't make us less susceptible. It actually makes us MORE susceptible due to yet another cognitive bias.

          We all labor under the illusion that anything we do has any factor of free will devoid of outside influence, but the fact is, there is LITTLE that ANYONE does that is not the direct result of a deep and unconscious drive that people try to justify and rationalize away, or of outside influence that can be so subtle as to be imperceptible.
          Like how you just got me to thank you for that post? LOL
          Signature
          "You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want."
          ~ Zig Ziglar
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2318029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    Of course they do! When people Like Kern, Reese, Chia, etc. come out with new products, people flock to buy them. I am not saying that they do not put out great content, because often times they do.

    However, some of the people buying the stuff do not really know if the content will be all that great, they just buy it based off of the marketers reputation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Atkins
    Originally Posted by excoder01 View Post

    A 2-page short ebook reminding people to first open a Clickbank account, working hard, smile, and follow your dreams. A very short ebook with simple vague messages.

    Those gurus then promote to their huge 500K mailing list as being the latest and most original "ground breaking" IM product there is for $97.

    What would happen if the gurus carry out the experiment?

    It would have a bad impact on their reputation and
    several people won't buy their next product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2317982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Big Al
    Quite often I look at who testimonials are from and that definately has an impact on my decision to buy or not. And after a while (this is my assumption - ass out of me and ass out of you) you can get a feel for who provides a testimonial because they like the product or simply want to scratch their mates back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2320762].message }}
  • It is all about the endorsement. After all is this not the business model Google has used for the most part to build their empire?

    Now there is food for thought.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2323686].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Adams
    Well you have to ask yourself the question... Do people buy Nike apparel/ equipment/ anything else because someone like Tiger Woods endorsed it?
    Signature
    P.S. If you found my post useful, please click the "Thanks" button below...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2323909].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author neilrivera
      Originally Posted by Mike Adams View Post

      Well you have to ask yourself the question... Do people buy Nike apparel/ equipment/ anything else because someone like Tiger Woods endorsed it?

      in that case people buy it because of its name

      the endorsement is another factor for it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2324726].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
        Brands build their credibility using someone else's name all the time.

        Credibility building 101.

        I work as a freelancer for a big company, web consulting, and let me tell you: as soon as they started listening to my simple advices in credibility, their response rate is way higher.

        Why?

        Cause they simple started using *some* credibility boosters:

        Testimonials, pictures, logos.

        IF a new brand wants to position in the exact same market as Nike, they will need a famous sportsman to build their credibility.

        People will buy the *guru* - not the brand.

        So yes, more and more people buy the *face/name* - not the brand.
        Signature
        People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2324749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pavionjsl
    None , I never buy from their "the guru's" endorsement. I find threads here and use IM report card first. Check products or people services here first then make a choice on buying.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2324733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Black Hat Cat
    Banned
    Originally Posted by excoder01 View Post

    Now, let's say Frank Kern, Ewen Chia, Ryan Deiss, Russell Brunson, Mike Filsaime, and all these gurus came together to cook up something sleazy as a "social experiment." They decided to pull off the biggest Internet Marketing prank to see how blind their followers are by releasing a new ebook.

    A 2-page short ebook reminding people to first open a Clickbank account, working hard, smile, and follow your dreams. A very short ebook with simple vague messages.
    I have no doubt this has happened, though not quite to the extreme you've posted here. I've seen offers over the past few years that I would bet my life on the marketer was being as ridiculous as he could be just to see how many people would fall for it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2325738].message }}

Trending Topics