Quick opinion of this eBook cover please.

40 replies
I am launching a new site soon complete with 2 eBooks and a video series. This eBook will be a back-end sale linked from a free eBook download:


Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Questions:

Do you like the cover and title?

Does it make sense as to the content?

What is a reasonable price for the eBook?

Would you sell it on Amazon as well as a download from the site?


Thanks in advance.



EDIT: ZOOM to bottom of PAGE for NEW VERSION
#cover #ebook #opinion #quick
  • Profile picture of the author ivanadee
    hmmm...
    just my opinion..
    for the first impression..
    i dont even know that it's an ebook about poker..you emphasize donkey too much.
    it will be great if you add some poker related pics.
    hope it helps
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by ivanadee View Post

      hmmm...
      just my opinion..
      for the first impression..
      i dont even know that it's an ebook about poker..you emphasize donkey too much.
      it will be great if you add some poker related pics.
      hope it helps
      Okie. Good point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333207].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
      I have the same problem here...

      Originally Posted by ivanadee View Post

      i dont even know that it's an ebook about poker..
      You might want to say what is is about in a clear way.

      Sandra
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333236].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marty S
        Originally Posted by Sandra Martinez View Post

        I have the same problem here...



        You might want to say what is is about in a clear way.

        Sandra

        50 REAL low limit online poker tournament hands analyzed and criticized.


        Hmmmm.... Can you tell me what is confusing about that?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333252].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steve Holmes
          Originally Posted by Marty S View Post


          50 REAL low limit online poker tournament hands analyzed and criticized.


          Hmmmm.... Can you tell me what is confusing about that?
          Because it's not the first thing you see, it is the title about the hand and the donkey.

          As suggested I would emphasise poker "more" either in the main title or if you want to keep the "Did I Play This Wrong" title change the image association to like someone with a deformed hand or 6 fingers etc and holding some cards or dice in the middle etc.

          GL
          Signature
          "Live like you'll die tomorrow, Learn like you'll live forever" - M. Ghandi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333279].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Marty S
            Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

            Because it's not the first thing you see, it is the title about the hand and the donkey.

            As suggested I would emphasise poker "more" either in the main title or if you want to keep the "Did I Play This Wrong" title change the image association to like someone with a deformed hand or 6 fingers etc and holding some cards or dice in the middle etc.

            GL
            Actually for the title I used a recommendation in a book I read called POP, stand out in any crowd! by Sam Horn. The title comes from a question that resonates from new online poker players because it is one of the most (paraphrased) asked questions in poker forums.

            I will take it under advisement though. Thanks again.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333303].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sandra Martinez
          Originally Posted by Marty S View Post


          50 REAL low limit online poker tournament hands analyzed and criticized.


          Hmmmm.... Can you tell me what is confusing about that?
          I could, if you ask it nicely.

          there is a lot wrong with that, and with the order of the title and subtitle.

          The art is also wasting opportunities to make the message go through.

          And you are lightly offensive with the client. Which I'm not going to comment on, as your strategy is your own.

          Sandra
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333297].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jkt
          Originally Posted by Marty S View Post


          50 REAL low limit online poker tournament hands analyzed and criticized.


          Hmmmm.... Can you tell me what is confusing about that?
          I like it...

          I think that if maybe instead of "Did I play this wrong?" That maybe it could say

          something with the word poker? And maybe a different related image...

          Seems like it would immediately grab your attention so

          that you'll know exactly what its about even before you read down...

          Congratulations on creating your product...
          Signature
          FREE Video Reveals EXACTLY How to Make up to $374 a Day ...On-Demand In 48 Hours or Less...

          http://www.instantcashmadesimple.com
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author schabotte
    The cover gave me a smile when I first saw it but I had to take a few moments to read it before realizing what the topic was about. I think for us visually oriented folks, the image causes a bit of confusion because there doesn't seem to be a relation with poker. Of course I'm not a poker player so maybe there is some significance to the donkey that poker players would instinctively react to?

    Since it is a backend sale - presumably offered on the download page - does it have continuity with the flow from what they are seeing on the road to getting the free ebook, etc?

    If there is continuity, then it probably would work much better than if there is no continuity to explain the graphic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333321].message }}
  • It's overlapping a bit with what people have said, but as a poker player, I can see the meaning of donkey on the sales letter. And, in context, it's fine.

    But, if I were to glance at that picture alone, or, dare I say it, as a physical printed book, I just wouldn't think poker. And a lot of people are glancers, not readers.

    My other thought is that that topic might be more suited to a physical book, than an e-book. My reasoning is that there are so many places on the Internet where hand analysis is available for free. Offline, it's more of a novelty and so you may capture buyers that way. Just a hypothesis, of course.

    Thom
    Signature

    Get My Exclusive Online FAST Start Training
    Totally FREE For A Limited Time - No Email Optin Required

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by impact-productions View Post

      My other thought is that that topic might be more suited to a physical book, than an e-book. My reasoning is that there are so many places on the Internet where hand analysis is available for free. Offline, it's more of a novelty and so you may capture buyers that way.
      Quite right. TYVM.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333345].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Tighe
        1. Could you colour the logo at the top of the cover? With the suits in red and black plus the playing card style head in colour the link with poker becomes easier to make.

        2. Also, I wonder if you could make your sub-head more powerful?

        Maybe play on your target audiences fears, ie, they don't want to be the donkey and feel stupid and embarrassed either online or when playing with their buddies.

        So maybe something that taps into that and makes them feel that emotion >> emotion that will get them to buy.

        So (and I'm not familiar with the poker lexicon, but ...) what about something like:

        "Did I Play This Wrong

        OR

        How to Make Sure You're Not the Donkey When Playing Poker with Your Buddies!"

        Kind regards

        John
        Signature
        Build your business fast with free advice from top entrepreneurs, experts and marketers...

        Check out PublishPositionProfit.com where you can also subscribe for free on iTunes :-)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333639].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author rhinocl
          It used to be you had to pay for the 3D cover makers. If you google 'free 3d ebook covers' or something similar you'll find that's no longer true.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

    I am launching a new site soon complete with 2 eBooks and a video series. This eBook will be a back-end sale linked from a free eBook download:


    Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

    Questions:

    Do you like the cover and title?

    Does it make sense as to the content?

    What is a reasonable price for the eBook?

    Would you sell it on Amazon as well as a download from the site?


    Thanks in advance.
    If 'donkey' is a suitable reference for poker players (haven't played in years myself), then how about a title like "Donkey Poker" and the "did I play that hand wrong?" in a cartoon bubble? Maybe add an image of arms coming from the spine edge of the book scraping up a pile of chips?

    Instead of 'analyzed and criticized', how about a benefit for the reader? Like "50 hands anlyzed - where the donkey went wrong and how you can play it the right way (and profit)". I think with a little polish that might resonate better, maybe.

    Couldn't tell you about a price.

    Darn right, I'd sell it on Amazon too. Heck, if you had a Kindle and paper editions, I'd sell those as an affiliate if I were in your shoes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GrantFreeman
    Strait-shooter warning ahead

    First off, your text is too small, and you're making a few mistakes many marketers are making.

    Thank you for making a list of things you want opinions on, but none of that will matter if people cannot read the ecover. Does this make sense?

    The mistakes are easily correctible, and I've written a free article that might help you. Check my sig for the article, and feel free to let me know if it helps you.

    Grant
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333748].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Too busy and too boring. Bigger text. Get some colour in there. Get some cards in there. The donkey should look unhappy, like being a donkey is bad. Think Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh looking at his cards, as if to say "WTF, these cards are crap."
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
    It looks like an ad, not a book cover.

    There is too much going on and your eyes don't really know what to focus on. What they don't focus on is that it's about poker. That's pretty much the last thing you see.

    At first glance, I think you sort of expect it to be a PUA eBook. The girl slapped me: Did I play this wRoNg?
    Signature

    Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

    Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tcindustries
    The last sentence is bugging me - It would make more sense if it said "how you can become a profitable player by learning from their mistakes"
    Signature

    Effortlessly Turn Kindle Books Into Cash By Using My Free Guide Available At: www.amazonkindle4cash.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2333853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Goatboy
    My first impression of the original cover is that you were producting a cartoon book similar to those Calvin and Hobbs or Peanuts coffee table books.

    I like the second version, but I would question if the title SNG Certified with common enough in the poker world that players would recognize it. I think you also need to consider who you are planning to market to. I haven't played in years, but if I intended to start again, I might want a book that would help me, and I'm afraid I would see "SNG Certified" and have no idea it connected to poker.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2420653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joksu
    The new cover I think is a bit better but there are some things that I don't like about it.

    First of all, what's up with the title at the top. Why is there are question mark?

    Next I would just like to know why have you chosen K J offsuit as your hand in the picture. Why not ace ace or at least make it suited.

    Then I was wondering why you are talking about Sit n goes when you are talking about 27 to 180 player games. When people are talking about sit n goes, they are usually talking about one table games, max of 10 players. I think you could more easily market it as a multitable tournament book since that area is not as well covered as sng's and more newbie players know what they are after watching them on TV. They are also more often interested in them than regular sng's.

    Still the main problem I had with the title at top. It just that nobody is really talking like that in the poker world. That is more of a marketer type of language. It just makes me, as a poker player, think instantly that you are full of it. Especially with the question mark.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2420912].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joksu
    Oh and one thing about the first cover.

    I don't know if it was intentional but it kind of reminded me of the Gus Hansen's book "Every Hand Revelead" where he comments on the hands he played during one tournament.

    If you could spin angle and make it both humorous and education, I think you might find buyers that are more advanced as well.

    Those are just some suggestions. Let me know about any developments and I will happily answer since poker is pretty close to my heart.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2420933].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Broyde
      The second cover is better in my opinion, but I think it may still be trying to say too much.

      Maybe the SNG is poker jargon, but I have a little bit of interest in learning to play poker and if I did not know the jargon yet I would not look at it beyond the scanning level. I think it would be more attention grabbing if there were bigger playing cards to see, and also the word poker can be bigger too.

      The cover makes sense with the content, but you have to pay attention and read to see what it is about. If you had not asked for an opinion, I probably would not have read the details.

      As per pricing, it all depends on how much value you want your buyers to think it has. What you could do is test the price points to see which one is more profitable for you and your visitors.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421036].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marty S
        Originally Posted by Broyde View Post

        Maybe the SNG is poker jargon, but I have a little bit of interest in learning to play poker and if I did not know the jargon yet I would not look at it beyond the scanning level. I think it would be more attention grabbing if there were bigger playing cards to see, and also the word poker can be bigger too.

        The cover makes sense with the content, but you have to pay attention and read to see what it is about. If you had not asked for an opinion, I probably would not have read the details.
        I see your point, but most poker manuals/books do focus on a specific aspect, or type of game. And most players want help with a particular situation. Strategies vary significantly with game selection, so just having a book about "POKER" is doomed IMHO.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421070].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Marty S
      Originally Posted by createyouwealth View Post

      I would say that the revised version is a lot better that the first version. Only one thing, the ebook cover looks pretty plain. I would add some kind of graphic or something that will bring it out more. All the best with your project my friend.
      I like the clean look to it, and did that intentionally. I am usually more worried about making it too cluttered.

      Originally Posted by mcmahanusa View Post

      Or.....you could show the other end of the donkey, and say something like "Don't Be An Ass When You Play Poker".
      I am not going to use that at all now.

      Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post

      My first impression of the original cover is that you were producting a cartoon book similar to those Calvin and Hobbs or Peanuts coffee table books.

      I like the second version, but I would question if the title SNG Certified with common enough in the poker world that players would recognize it. I think you also need to consider who you are planning to market to. I haven't played in years, but if I intended to start again, I might want a book that would help me, and I'm afraid I would see "SNG Certified" and have no idea it connected to poker.
      First version is dead. SNG is VERY common and well known amongst online players. There are many other products and websites that use that initialism.


      Originally Posted by Joksu View Post

      The new cover I think is a bit better but there are some things that I don't like about it.

      First of all, what's up with the title at the top. Why is there are question mark?

      Next I would just like to know why have you chosen K J offsuit as your hand in the picture. Why not ace ace or at least make it suited.

      Then I was wondering why you are talking about Sit n goes when you are talking about 27 to 180 player games. When people are talking about sit n goes, they are usually talking about one table games, max of 10 players. I think you could more easily market it as a multitable tournament book since that area is not as well covered as sng's and more newbie players know what they are after watching them on TV. They are also more often interested in them than regular sng's.

      Still the main problem I had with the title at top. It just that nobody is really talking like that in the poker world. That is more of a marketer type of language. It just makes me, as a poker player, think instantly that you are full of it. Especially with the question mark.
      Should be an exclamation mark. I think the font makes it look like a question mark. I will change.

      When people are talking about sit n goes, they are usually talking about one table games, max of 10 players.

      No this is not correct. These games are hugely popular and ARE sit and go tournaments. When they fill, they start, that is the meaning of sit-and-go, not designated by the amount of participants. However, that may be more clear for current player looking for help. I don't mind getting some attention with the title and then clarifying the subject matter in the tag line.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421056].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rough Outline
    The second one is much better, try and make the word poker stand out more, may sound simple but it's very effective to point out the purpose of the ebook if you're slapping the customer in the face with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421061].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421081].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
    The second version looks better, but it has no soul.

    I am clearly in the minority here, but I think the first version totally dominates over the second version.

    "Did I play this wrong?" and "50 real low limit online poker tournament hands analyzed and criticized." is powerful text. Whereas the new one centers around "The guaranteed profit system.", which reads like generic snake oil.

    Maybe you can do a third version with the best of both worlds. Although I kind of like the somewhat whimsical feel of the first one with the clueless donkey. It makes light of a bad situation. That also offsets the negativity of the book (which is negative by nature because it is about negative plays). The design of the first one does seem a little rough and unfinished though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2422972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iClickGraphics
    second version is way better, let's put Marty's cover into 3d version..

    Signature
    FREE Weekly Book Cover Templates ---> Download now!
    140 CreateSpace PSD Book Cover Templates ---> Click Here
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2423148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Authentic
    Hi Marty!

    I think it is a good concept. The picture is comical. It is easily understood though, except for "low limit". If I was a poker player, I suppose I would pay $20 or so for the ebook. I hope all goes well for you.
    Signature

    Authentic!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2423260].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Sanchez
    I've written a lot of articles on this subject and in my opinion you have to get the potential customers attention immediately. They shouldn't have to try and read your cover. We have taken the time to read the cover because you asked for a critique.

    A visitor to your site will make a snap decision as to whether or not they will hit the back button or look further at your ebook. Your first impression is the ebook design. They either like it or they don't. They know immediately if they are interested in reading about the contents or not.

    People see in pictures and that's what will attract them to your book. You need the cards large and your text large. I would also add some cash on the cover to appeal to the subconscious.

    That's just my opinion and I wish you good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424663].message }}

Trending Topics