Direct Link To Your Blog Or Site From YouTube Videos (As Seen On:)

22 replies
Does anybody know how to do this?

It is a hyper link which links to the page inside that website.



#blog #direct #link #site #videos #youtube
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    Alright, I think I found out. You cannot do it easily.

    YouTube announced today on the official YouTube Blog the introduction of a new experimental feature aimed to recognize blogs or sites that have promoted and thereby increased the views of popular videos. The video-sharing website will now include a link at the bottom of a video linking back to the blog or site that is “responsible for driving a significant amount of a video’s views.”

    YouTube Software Engineers Dylan Trotter and Adam Winkler explain:

    “What this means is that you can get recognition for sourcing videos that your readers love and helping those clips become popular on YouTube. It’s another way all that hard work you put into building your readership can pay off and generate even more traffic for your blog or site. You might even get your site in front of a whole new audience via people who encounter it for the first time on YouTube.”

    It’s definitely a very nice touch. The team goes on to say that they expect to make this feature permanent soon. Now, it’s all up to viewers to be kind and visit the websites that have contributed to the popularity of their favorite videos.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2335437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Thomas Wilkinson
    I don't know how to do it but that's a link from Kim Komando (the Internet Goddess). You could try searching her tips or maybe just email her and ask. I get a couple of her free emails every day.
    Signature
    When you hear someone telling you what YOU can't do, they are usually talking about what THEY can't do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2335455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Groovystar
    My site has a few dozen video ads made for it on Youtube. Hey you mean I could set up a blog promoting the best of them then get a link back on those videos for that blog?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2335457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    I am not talking about having the link in the description. A kid can do that.

    The link you see in the video is a domain name which redirects to the post in which the video was embedded. Notice it has the words: As Seen On:
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2335720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by Deepak Media View Post

      I am not talking about having the link in the description. A kid can do that.

      The link you see in the video is a domain name which redirects to the post in which the video was embedded. Notice it has the words: As Seen On:
      One thing to point out, that link is a "No Follow"

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbode
    Hey Deepak nice find, do you know how many views you'll need to get the link back to your site?

    I hope this is an optional feature... I really would rather control the link in the video description
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336359].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
    So, that means when your video is super-viral and generating millions of views, you can get a link like that?
    Signature
    Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
    Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
    ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
    karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

      So, that means when your video is super-viral and generating millions of views, you can get a link like that?
      Apparently!

      Here is the video "Chocolate Rain" with 53,842,082 views.

      The link goes to TIME Magazine...

      What am I missing about link?

      If there is something there, please share.

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336474].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        Apparently!

        Here is the video "Chocolate Rain" with 53,842,082 views.

        The link goes to TIME Magazine...

        What am I missing about link?

        If there is something there, please share.

        Giles, the Crew Chief
        The link that is "seen on" is
        "Chocolate Rain" - YouTube's 50 Best Videos - TIME

        Maybe, YT staff manually adds these links.
        Signature
        Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
        Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
        ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
        karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336497].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
          Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

          The link that is "seen on" is
          "Chocolate Rain" - YouTube's 50 Best Videos - TIME

          Maybe, YT staff manually adds these links.
          I got all of that...

          My question is, "What's all the hoopla about that link?"

          At the moment I'm no seeing any SEO value for the channel/video owner.

          Again, what am I missing?

          Giles, the Crew Chief
          Signature
          Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

          ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336608].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
            Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

            I got all of that...

            My question is, "What's all the hoopla about that link?"

            At the moment I'm no seeing any SEO value for the channel/video owner.

            Again, what am I missing?

            Giles, the Crew Chief
            Traffic, dude.

            A video getting hundreds of thousand of views per day will get a heck lot of traffic (if the video is pretty decent).
            Signature
            Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
            Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
            ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
            karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336632].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
              Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

              Traffic, dude.

              A video getting hundreds of thousand of views per day will get a heck lot of traffic (if the video is pretty decent).

              To be clear...

              A video gets/has 3 million views or 53 million views and...

              Due to said traffic, Youtube decides to put a "No follow" outbound link on the face of video that says, As seen on "CNN.com" "As seen on TIME.com, etc.

              To be clear...

              The link attached by Youtube is a no follow outbound link that goes to a page/site that has nothing to do with the owner of the video owner.

              So my question is, "What am I missing?"

              Does anyone know the answer?

              Giles, the Crew Chief
              Signature
              Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

              ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336716].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
                Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

                To be clear...

                A video gets/has 3 million views or 53 million views and...

                Due to said traffic, Youtube decides to put a "No follow" outbound link on the face of video that says, As seen on "CNN.com" "As seen on TIME.com, etc.

                To be clear...

                The link attached by Youtube is a no follow outbound link that goes to a page/site that has nothing to do with the owner of the video owner.

                So my question is, "What am I missing?"

                Does anyone know the answer?

                Giles, the Crew Chief
                I know all outgoing links on YT are no-follow.

                In the last post, you said:

                My question is, "What's all the hoopla about that link?"
                Which according to me means what's the benefit of this "As seen of:" URL.

                Now, since there is no SEO value (as you said, and almost all of us will agree), what remains is the traffic.

                Another point might be reputation of the site. But this is a bit vague to me.
                Signature
                Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
                Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
                ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
                karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337122].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
                  Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post

                  I know all outgoing links on YT are no-follow.

                  Which according to me means what's the benefit of this "As seen of:" URL.

                  Now, since there is no SEO value (as you said, and almost all of us will agree), what remains is the traffic.

                  Another point might be reputation of the site. But this is a bit vague to me.
                  Hmmm...

                  In the words of Larry David, "Interesting."

                  Traffic couldn't be the issue because the link is outbound.

                  Reputation of the name, maybe. But, if a video has already 53 million views how is TIME.com's reputation distributed in a type of reverse SEO engineering going to help.

                  Deepak Media is the OP, care to share on the angle?

                  Or, is there even an angle?

                  Giles, the Crew Chief
                  Signature
                  Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

                  ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337178].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Rashell
                    The way I see it there's kind of a "curiosity kills the cat" concept to it.

                    If I see a video with a kid high on drugs after a trip to the dentist and a link "as seen on Time.com" I might wonder why Time would feature this particular video on their site. So yeah it just might drive some additional traffic to the Time article.

                    On the flip side, as a channel owner, if I have a Press Release type video/piece that Time featured I might gain credibility in viewer's eyes just by association. They may check out the other videos in my channel. (Click on the Time video mentioned above and you'll be subscribed to the video owners YT channel).

                    As a marketer I might consider ways of hijacking that spot from other people's videos--just to catch the residual traffic I hadn't brought to that video. It'd depend on ROtI though.

                    Rashell
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337333].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
                    Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

                    Hmmm...

                    In the words of Larry David, "Interesting."

                    Traffic couldn't be the issue because the link is outbound.

                    Reputation of the name, maybe. But, if a video has already 53 million views how is TIME.com's reputation distributed in a type of reverse SEO engineering going to help.

                    Deepak Media is the OP, care to share on the angle?

                    Or, is there even an angle?

                    Giles, the Crew Chief
                    When I saw the video I noticed that there was a new kind of link. On first thought, I assumed that anyone can create a link like that. I immediately posted the question here because I was not able to find answers anywhere.

                    Then I dug a little deeper in Google and found out that it is not easily done. You need a video with huge number of views. And YouTube makes the decision. That was my second post in this thread.

                    I have nothing to comment about SEO. I am not talking about SEO backlinks at all.

                    YouTube links are obviously no-follow... but links from YouTube to my domains have made me thousands of dollars in CPA promotions.

                    The As Seen On link just looks nicer than the link in the description that we give. Will get more CTR for sure.
                    Signature
                    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

                    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

                    @ Bangalore, India.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337547].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
                      Originally Posted by Deepak Media View Post

                      When I saw the video I noticed that there was a new kind of link. On first thought, I assumed that anyone can create a link like that. I immediately posted the question here because I was not able to find answers anywhere.

                      Then I dug a little deeper in Google and found out that it is not easily done. You need a video with huge number of views. And YouTube makes the decision. That was my second post in this thread.

                      I have nothing to comment about SEO. I am not talking about SEO backlinks at all.

                      YouTube links are obviously no-follow... but links from YouTube to my domains have made me thousands of dollars in CPA promotions.

                      The As Seen On link just looks nicer than the link in the description that we give. Will get more CTR for sure.
                      Gotcha!

                      From what you have gathered thus far, are they allowing "Us" to choose that OBL? Or, are they choosing it?

                      Giles, the Crew Chief
                      Signature
                      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

                      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337597].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
          Originally Posted by Karan Goel View Post


          Maybe, YT staff manually adds these links.
          I seriously doubt that - with the number of videos uploaded to youtube daily, they would need an army of employees just to keep up.

          Youtube used to show a list of linking sites, but that feature was removed awhile back. If I remember right, the list showed the top 5 referring sites.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336626].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Karan Goel
            Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post

            I seriously doubt that - with the number of videos uploaded to youtube daily, they would need an army of employees just to keep up.

            Youtube used to show a list of linking sites, but that feature was removed awhile back. If I remember right, the list showed the top 5 referring sites.
            Well, I agree there are so many videos uploaded each day, but only a handful of them are able to go *seriously* viral. I mean how many of those get millions of views, thousand of comments and rating?

            Or maybe, it might be an automated system to "tag" popular sources to these viral videos.

            Google's crazy. Only it knows.
            Signature
            Penalty Safe, Long Term, 100% Whitehat Backlinks
            Love your site? Then check out SafeSpokes!
            ~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
            karan996@irchiver.com karan997@irchiver.com
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336638].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
    Youtube used to provide a list of linking sites - but it was removed awhile back. I'am glad they implemented some kind of system to see who is using your videos.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336431].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hoopatang
      There's also something to be learned here - don't use other people's videos (even your sponsor's) pulled directly from their site to promote your link. If you pull the video from your sponsor's site, that site is going to be listed in the "as seen on" section and you'll be bleeding traffic to them without your affiliate link attached.

      As an affiliate:
      If your sponsor gives you promo videos to use, host them yourself so the traffic goes back to YOUR site, not directly to the sponsor.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2336468].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Deepak Media
    And adding to my last line in the previous post... Here's an excerpt from the official YT blog:

    We're currently experimenting with this functionality on a range of popular videos and plan on making it a permanent feature soon.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Author | Speaker | Consultant

    Read my Blog: DigitalDeepak.com

    @ Bangalore, India.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2337571].message }}

Trending Topics