What's the Secret To Forum Marketing?

33 replies
I enjoy a good conversation so I thought maybe Forum Marketing would be a good way to go. Get some good advice, offer some good advice, get some sign ups, it's all win win right?! (It clearly works as I've signed up to all sorts today!)

I've been on this site for the best part of 3 hours now, I've read loads of great tips, I've downloaded more products to read / watch - even though I'm currently buried in them and I think I may have made 2 posts!!!! (Too busy learning!)

Surely this has got to be the most addictive and time eating hobby in the world, when I should be concentrating just on driving traffic!

How do you guys do it? You know who you are, the ones that seem to respond to every single thread - and not the single line answers either, the ones that are clearly full of knowledge, wisdom and experience? How do you find the time to communicate so widely on forums and do all the other traffic stuff you talk about????

Please tell me, I'm suffering from too much to do, too little time overwhelm!!!!
#forum #marketing #secret
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Well, for me, it doesn't take long to answer some questions here and there. But you said you signed up to several. I concentrate on one. There's others that I have registered with and made some posts, but just didn't really like the forum much so don't participate regularly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346204].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Entreprenette
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      Well, for me, it doesn't take long to answer some questions here and there. But you said you signed up to several. I concentrate on one. There's others that I have registered with and made some posts, but just didn't really like the forum much so don't participate regularly.
      Suzanne, you're a perfect example! I see you everywhere!!! Are you logged in all day?

      What I meant by signed up for all sorts, is to other people's signatures and products on this forum!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346233].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Entreprenette View Post

        Suzanne, you're a perfect example! I see you everywhere!!! Are you logged in all day?

        What I meant by signed up for all sorts, is to other people's signatures and products on this forum!
        I'm logged into my isp all day because I do my work online, but as for the WF, I just refresh the main discussion page every so often to see what topics interest me or who might need help with something I know something about.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346252].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
          The secret to anything is time management.

          Even though it seems like I live here (check post count) I don't. I have
          priorities. I make a schedule and do the things that I have to do with my
          day.

          For example, just this morning I:

          1. Wrote 2 articles and submitted them.
          2. Updated my blog.
          3. Updated my membership program with new content.
          4. Submitted ads to a few safelists and an lead generation program.

          And I still have a whole day of work ahead of me. This is only my 2nd post
          here today. It really doesn't take much time to make 10 posts in a day.
          Maybe 30 minutes tops.

          Keys to being successful with forum marketing?

          Contribute to the community
          Help people who need help
          Don't be a troll
          Obey the rules
          Know what you're talking about
          Stick to your guns.

          Let me go over the last one.

          I have more respect for you if you have a viewpoint that I don't agree
          with but you stick to it if you truly believe in it than if you waffled from
          one thing to another.

          I have ticked off a lot of people here because of my strong beliefs.

          That doesn't mean that, if somebody points out where I could be wrong
          about something, I won't consider their viewpoint. And yes, some things
          I have changed my opinion about. But don't do it just to make friends. Do
          it because you truly believe it.

          I will never be anything other than who I am...no matter who doesn't like
          me for it.

          Anyway, hope this little rambling helps.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346376].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author InternetM39482
            Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

            The secret to anything is time management.
            That's it. The secret here is 'Time Management'.

            You should set time for everything and NOT get distracted. So, when you're posting on forums, just look for topics you can contribute to and do so. Don't get distracted by others' signatures, or anything.

            Actually, you can go to http://www.warriorforum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions and disable 'Signature' under Visible Post Elements in Thread Display Options. Try that for a couple of days and see if that helps?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346403].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Entreprenette
            Originally Posted by Steven Wagenheim View Post

            The secret to anything is time management.

            Even though it seems like I live here (check post count) I don't. I have
            priorities. I make a schedule and do the things that I have to do with my
            day.

            For example, just this morning I:

            1. Wrote 2 articles and submitted them.
            2. Updated my blog.
            3. Updated my membership program with new content.
            4. Submitted ads to a few safelists and an lead generation program.

            And I still have a whole day of work ahead of me. This is only my 2nd post
            here today. It really doesn't take much time to make 10 posts in a day.
            Maybe 30 minutes tops.

            Keys to being successful with forum marketing?

            Contribute to the community
            Help people who need help
            Don't be a troll
            Obey the rules
            Know what you're talking about
            Stick to your guns.

            Let me go over the last one.

            I have more respect for you if you have a viewpoint that I don't agree
            with but you stick to it if you truly believe in it than if you waffled from
            one thing to another.

            I have ticked off a lot of people here because of my strong beliefs.

            That doesn't mean that, if somebody points out where I could be wrong
            about something, I won't consider their viewpoint. And yes, some things
            I have changed my opinion about. But don't do it just to make friends. Do
            it because you truly believe it.

            I will never be anything other than who I am...no matter who doesn't like
            me for it.

            Anyway, hope this little rambling helps.
            Steven,

            I don't mean to blow smoke up your backside but I think you're a legend!!! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and give me some very valuable feedback.

            Jo

            Originally Posted by Swastik View Post

            That's it. The secret here is 'Time Management'.

            You should set time for everything and NOT get distracted. So, when you're posting on forums, just look for topics you can contribute to and do so. Don't get distracted by others' signatures, or anything.

            Actually, you can go to http://www.warriorforum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions and disable 'Signature' under Visible Post Elements in Thread Display Options. Try that for a couple of days and see if that helps?
            Great tip thanks Swastik, I shall try that, my inbox is brimming!!!!

            Originally Posted by avenuegirl View Post

            I honestly don't think about it here - and that is when I see something happen when I least expect it.

            I come in to help where I can, but I am still learning a ton of things and i like when I see a post that is somewhat of a challenge for me to solve.

            I had a link to an email video course for a while, and I didn't have my aweber set up to alert me. When I finally went in to look at the numbers I was pleasantly surprised to see that some people did get some benefit from what I had put together and there were more clicks and sign-ups than I thought there would be.

            Prepare an offer or something for people to look at, but when you use the forum just pretend nothing is in your sig and just try to enjoy yourself here.
            Thanks Avenuegirl - you're so right. What we sow we reap right!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346437].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
              Originally Posted by Entreprenette View Post

              Steven,

              I don't mean to blow smoke up your backside but I think you're a legend!!! Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and give me some very valuable feedback.

              Jo
              A legend? Yeah, maybe in my own mind.

              I'm just a regular Joe who puts his pants on one leg at a time like everybody
              else.

              Except of course if there's a fire in the house and I need to get out fast.

              For that, I've developed a "jump in the pants" technique that works
              quite well.

              Anyway, glad to be able to help.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346452].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
          I honestly don't think about it here - and that is when I see something happen when I least expect it.

          I come in to help where I can, but I am still learning a ton of things and i like when I see a post that is somewhat of a challenge for me to solve.

          I had a link to an email video course for a while, and I didn't have my aweber set up to alert me. When I finally went in to look at the numbers I was pleasantly surprised to see that some people did get some benefit from what I had put together and there were more clicks and sign-ups than I thought there would be.

          Prepare an offer or something for people to look at, but when you use the forum just pretend nothing is in your sig and just try to enjoy yourself here.
          Signature

          "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346377].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
    Forum Marketing is a great way to go Entreprenette, I've been using it for over 15 years. HOWEVER, it is very easy to spend way too much time on forums, bulletin boards and now at Social Media sites.

    It helps if you are a quick thinker with a long history and can type fast. OR talk fast and have your program trained to keep up with you (I use Dragon Naturally Speaking when using a voice to text program).

    I've helped scores of people over the years and the one common thing is TIME MANAGEMENT, which pops up over and over again.

    I think it has to do with GOALS, purpose, intent and what you are trying to get out of your time.

    We all have the same hours in a day, yet, as you keenly observed, some of us are able to squeeze more juice from our 24 hours in a day than others.

    For me it is about FOCUS, FOUNDATION and FRAMEWORK. Having a very clearly defined goal or purpose helps me to prioritize my activities.

    The Foundation at use for me is a good work ethic, work first/Play second. And it can quickly turn from work to play as we interact on Forums. So, I do every thing based on TIME. And my handy dandy little daily calendar which tells me what I should be doing and for what purpose too.

    I've found if we WRITE things down and create check lists, it helps to keep me focused on what the time is being used for.

    On the other hand, some of my best online relationships are a direct result of my participation in Forums. These include solid BUSINESS relationships that have more than paid for themselves over the years.

    I also use "FRAMEWORKS" to construct my day. For example, when writing an article, I try to stick to: Tell em what you are going to tell them. TELL them. Tell Them what you just told them.

    It is a simple and easy formula which helps me to "cut to the chase" for a specific article.

    Originally Posted by Entreprenette View Post


    Surely this has got to be the most addictive and time eating hobby in the world, when I should be concentrating just on driving traffic!

    Please tell me, I'm suffering from too much to do, too little time overwhelm!!!!
    It is MY opinion, you've hit the nail on the head when you say it is an addictive HOBBY. I see too many people treating it as a hobby rather than a business.

    I keep my hobbies separate from my business, although, in some cases, they are one and the same.

    Every single person I've worked with over the years has RAPIDLY improved their results when they have a WRITTEN plan of action to follow. AND, I make them write some time for communication/forums, social media into their plan also.

    When it is time to work, WORK. And that could be done in Forum activity too, as long as you keep a FOCUS on your time, you'll be able to soar high quickly.

    FOCUS, FRAMEWORK and FOUNDATION are tools which accelerate results although many people treat them as "handcuffs" or restraints. Good luck to you...

    and I must ask...Do YOU have a WRITTEN plan of action and a clarified Goal?

    gjabiz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346250].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mlord10
    Forum marketing really can get you some great targeted traffic, however most people do it the wrong way. On this form the moderators do a good job of keeping the junk out, but on many forums it is chaos!

    If you want to succeed in forum marketing, then just provide valuable information. I think that providing people with quality information, accompanied by treating people with respect is a win-win combination.

    Another thing, don't get into ego matches on the forum. I see it all of the time and it just comes off as unprofessional. Why would you want to learn from someone who argues all day?

    Just provide helpful info, and have a strong call to action in your signature. Do that and you will be fine!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Victoralexon
    Care about others and help others.

    Also, I see a lot of people that just don't seem to care at all about how they come across. They either can't spell or they argue etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346386].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
    Contact the forum owner and see if he/she is willing to help you have a contest.

    Look for large forums in your niche - lets say with 1 million post or more.

    Give the forum owner a free sample, in return he/she sends out a mass email to their members and tells them about your product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346406].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eflo
      Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post

      Contact the forum owner and see if he/she is willing to help you have a contest.

      Look for large forums in your niche - lets say with 1 million post or more.

      Give the forum owner a free sample, in return he/she sends out a mass email to their members and tells them about your product.
      Holy crap that's so simple I wish I had figured that out myself. I think you've just made one of my products go viral... Thank you thank you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2356482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lacraiger
    find a formula for people to come back daily to post/read/contribute
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346413].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wiggy0618
    The thing that helped me the most w/my forum marketing was that (and this is just my personal experience the way it worked out - won't work this way for everybody) I was a very active member of a forum (not this one - different niche) for a decently long time before I ever decided to create my first product. I'd already established myself as somebody w/credibility, and that I could "walk the walk".

    Then, when I decided to write my first book, the forum was cool w/me promoting it there (as long as I didn't go overboard), so I did. I even ended up becoming one of the forum mods.

    It's not necessarily a short-term solution, and driving traffic aside, participating in forums can give you a sort of credibility you can't get elsewhere - the kinda credibility that can almost create 'fanboys' in that if your first product (or two) is good, you'll have virtually lifelong customers that will buy anything you put out (and many times even just recommend) simply b/c it was you that put it out.

    Do know that this kinda thing doesn't happen overnight, though - it's a long-term deal.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TimG
    I try to focus on responding to threads where I can contribute in a helpful/educated manner without having to resort to research material in order to provide a response.

    That's why, for the most part you will always see me only reply to article marketing related threads, general IM/online business related threads. PLR threads, affiliate marketing threads, product creation threads...etc

    Very seldom due I post in PPC threads, CPA threads and a few other speciality threads because I would have to take more time to construct my response.

    Continuing with the article marketing related threads example - I don't have to research anything because I can talk/type an answer straight off the top of my head.

    By focusing on the subjects you are knowledgable about you cut down the amount of time it actually takes to post in the forum.

    Additionally, posting in here is more like taking a break (for me anyway) from the actual work that takes place (building links, writing and submitting articles, creating products, answering support emails...etc).

    Respectfully,
    Tim
    Signature
    Article Marketing Soldiers - The Best Selling Article Marketing Product On The Warrior Forum Is Now Looking For Affiliates! Make Over $25 Per Sale With This High Converting Product.

    Make More Money And Spend More Time With Your Family By Becoming A Scentsy Consultant - I Provide Personal Assistance And Help With Growing Your Business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346472].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author abednego
      Originally Posted by TimG View Post

      I try to focus on responding to threads where I can contribute in a helpful/educated manner without having to resort to research material in order to provide a response.

      That's why, for the most part you will always see me only reply to article marketing related threads, general IM/online business related threads. PLR threads, affiliate marketing threads, product creation threads...etc

      Very seldom due I post in PPC threads, CPA threads and a few other speciality threads because I would have to take more time to construct my response.

      Continuing with the article marketing related threads example - I don't have to research anything because I can talk/type an answer straight off the top of my head.

      By focusing on the subjects you are knowledgable about you cut down the amount of time it actually takes to post in the forum.

      Additionally, posting in here is more like taking a break (for me anyway) from the actual work that takes place (building links, writing and submitting articles, creating products, answering support emails...etc).

      Respectfully,
      Tim
      Not to re-invent the wheel, but Tim put it the best.

      I think that if you can honestly add value and substance, the subscribers that you get will hold more trust.

      For me personally, its more about quality than quantity.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ivanadee
    for me, being in this forum must have 2 things :
    learning and sharing.
    have a balance in doing that and you will be OK ^_^
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi Entreprenette,

    Before the day starts I decide what I will work on that day.

    I divide my tasks into 45 minute blocks, then break for 15 minutes. For each hour of my workday I hold to the 45/15 split without exception. The frequent breaks create peace of mind and balance, allowing me to hit all my tasks without being sidetracked or overwhelmed.

    This is a little variation on the 25 min work/5 min rest Pomodoro Technique.

    I use a little app for Google Chrome called Chromodoro, it sets off an alarm when it's time to break/work.

    Ryan Biddulph
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2346631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mattbf
    Forum marketing, in my opinion, is the toughest to market. I never had much success. There are a few good tips in here though.

    I always tried paid banner ads which never worked. I realized my mistake now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Murphy
    Warrior forum, Facebook, Twitter etc all are great places to market and expand your reach but all need guidelines and limits.

    I schedule my forum visits and when the time is up...I'm out. Some reading, some posting, some head shaking and then BOOM...click the red X and move on.

    Forum marketing certainly works but should only be a small sliver of your overall online marketing efforts.
    Signature
    Guitar PLR - New MONSTER Guitar Video PLR Pack![LIMITED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    Secret to Forum Marketing:

    1. Add value
    2. Be real
    3. See #1 and #2
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author opiniones
    facebook is the devil. Stay away from it and all social networking sites! Unless of course you use a bot to manage your accounts rather than chatting with people. It will only waste your time.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348509].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author USGTMauthor
    I visit 4-5 forums in my niches, time management and self development and try to find posts where I can be helpful to the poster ie answer a question. Because it is in my niche if people think I am adding value they will visit my sites and hopefully buy something.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2348599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Here's one of the biggest things for me. I remember a long time ago being a newbie and trying to figure everything out myself ....mostly technical things. I would work on a problem for hours and then finally, I would ask a question in a forum. Usually, I didn't get an answer right off the bat. Sometimes I'd have to join another forum and ask again.

    Finally, when someone took the time to answer, and the lightbulb went off and my problem was solved, I was so thankful. Simple things can make a big difference to people who are struggling to get something done but just can't find the one answer that they need.

    I don't even think about marketing when I'm on the WF most of the time. I've got my signature and it's there for anyone who wants to take a peek, but since I work at home by myself, it's often a social break, networking, and helping someone out that are my primary motives.

    The key is to not think all that much about marketing and think about the value you can add to the forum and who you might be able to help out. Sometimes my favorite threads here are the ones that all the class clowns jump in and I sit there and LOL. A good laughing break in the middle of the day is priceless.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2349428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author simonlcroft
    I totally agree with Suzanne.

    Forum marketing is all about building your reputation by providing value, giving thanks here and there and being helpful to people who need it. As your reputation grows, more people will click on your profile and click on your signature therefore driving more traffic to your sites. Help the community and you will get a following.

    As gjabiz also pointed out, time management is also a big issue. Personally, I set myself an hour to do things, whether it is commenting on blogs, forums whatever. Give yourself a time limit and stick to it helps increase the focus.

    Simon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2349472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kishorem
    Originally Posted by Entreprenette View Post

    I enjoy a good conversation so I thought maybe Forum Marketing would be a good way to go. Get some good advice, offer some good advice, get some sign ups, it's all win win right?! (It clearly works as I've signed up to all sorts today!)

    I've been on this site for the best part of 3 hours now, I've read loads of great tips, I've downloaded more products to read / watch - even though I'm currently buried in them and I think I may have made 2 posts!!!! (Too busy learning!)

    Surely this has got to be the most addictive and time eating hobby in the world, when I should be concentrating just on driving traffic!

    How do you guys do it? You know who you are, the ones that seem to respond to every single thread - and not the single line answers either, the ones that are clearly full of knowledge, wisdom and experience? How do you find the time to communicate so widely on forums and do all the other traffic stuff you talk about????

    Please tell me, I'm suffering from too much to do, too little time overwhelm!!!!
    Forum not a bad place. However, beware of spending too much time. Like what you said, it can be addictive.

    Always remember 80-20 rule. You can put tons of your time in forum & get some results but not neccessary Amazing result.

    Ultimately, it still boils down to your Time Value. How much is your time worth?

    $10 per hour?
    $100 per hour?
    $1000 per hour?

    If your time value now is $100 per hour. If spending 8 hours in forum can generate you $900 profits, then you could spend more time in forum.

    It is simple concept to keep in mind for your time value. But this is NOT a absolute RULER for you. Just an idea to keep in mind so that you always aware about your time value & the activity you are doing every single moment
    Signature

    Best Regards,
    Kishore M

    Brand New 2015 Product Launch on Clickbank
    ~ Reciprocation Mailing is Guaranteed ~
    http://www.extremefxprofit.com/jv

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2349539].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sambakker
    I think just being cool, social and helping out in a way that stands out is key...
    Signature

    Create high quality sales funnels in minutes http://iglooapp.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2349936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1wisewoman
    Entreprenette,

    What I'm finding to be effective is to focus on solving problems people have posted. All of us are one step ahead of someone else in some area of life. You don't have to wait to be the guru to offer advice. The main internet marketing discussion forum is a good place to start.

    Also thank people who have offered information you find valuable
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hazel0513
    Really good tips people.

    I used to "hate" forum last time because I think it's too much information for me to read per day. I didn't know where to start. I do not have a system to really extract out some good information and throw out the junk.

    But then I came to realize that I have to really participate in my community if I want to build a serious business on the internet.

    Forum trains me to express my ideas, trains me to contribute and interact with the rest of the marketers, trains me to focus as I do not want to consume too much information so I restrict my time spending on forum, I only read those that useful to me and contribute as much as I can. and much more!

    Forum marketing is beyond driving traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350410].message }}
  • The most important thing, from a marketing point of view, is to provide high quality and actionable information.

    That is, don't respond to a post purely because you want to up your post count. That's obvious as soon as you've done it. The amount of inane questions and comments that get added to some posts from people doing that is incredible (both in this forum and in the WSO Forum).

    Your forum comments will be there for the life of the forum.

    If you can build up a slow reputation (and you can do this smartly, as other people have said, in a few minutes a day), this will help you in the longer term when you do come to market your own products and look to make sales.

    Thom
    Signature

    Get My Exclusive Online FAST Start Training
    Totally FREE For A Limited Time - No Email Optin Required

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2356437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dbarnum
      Sometimes when you start replying on something that hits home, you can go to town writing about it in no time. Again as others have said, time management. Just make sure to get your work done that needs it each day, and work forum time in there as breaks, like when you sit down for coffee or a soft drink, etc.

      In short:

      Think of this place like your cyber-waster cooler. Then pop in throughout the day to get a breath of fresh air, chat, check new topics, shop WSOs, Classifieds, etc., relax and read, make new friends, network, etc. Hang out & join in
      Signature




      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2356457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hendricius
    Make sure your forum covers a diverse range of topics, then try advertising and you'll see the number of visitors picking up. Also make sure your rules are not extremely strict, some forums loose a lot of members because of strict rules.
    Good Luck
    Signature
    Follow me on Twitter: @hendricius
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2356465].message }}

Trending Topics