Backed up your blog lately? 73,000 blogs shut down without warning by US...

80 replies
Blogetery.com was shut down by it's host without warning and the 73,000 blogs it was hosting were instantly gone.

The host was shut down by US authorities because some of the blogs were giving away copyrighted materials.

While Blogetery is trying to get their data back, their hosting company has said they cannot release ANY of the data to any of their sites.

Keep in mind the government had no problem with the majority Blogerty sites, just a few of the sites on the Blogetery system.

Details:

U.S. Authorities Shut Down Wordpress Host With 73,000 Blogs | TorrentFreak

I'm interested in your thoughts....
#backed #blog #blogs #shut #warning
  • Profile picture of the author Leslie B
    Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post


    Also, I wonder what happens if your domain name is also registered with your hosting company.
    That's one of the reasons why I would never buy my domain name from the same place as I have my hosting.

    Just another reason why having backups of your sites are important, you never know what could happen. And it only takes you maybe 5 minutes per site.

    Leslie
    Signature
    Taking it one day at a time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350914].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kay King
      Could be the equivalent of an offline raid - they take everything - all files - all computers. The way it was done sounds security related - no warning.

      If that's the mindset the authorities would "shut it all down and we'll sort it out later". Wonder if we'll ever know what the real story was - cause it's not there yet.

      kay
      Signature
      Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

      Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352118].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
      Originally Posted by Leslie B View Post

      That's one of the reasons why I would never buy my domain name from the same place as I have my hosting.

      Just another reason why having backups of your sites are important, you never know what could happen. And it only takes you maybe 5 minutes per site.

      Leslie
      It looks like it could be a good idea to have a second hosting service available and loaded up as well. Just redirect the name servers.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2363691].message }}
  • Is there a good auto-backup that runs in browser or something for WordPress? I hadn't thought about it before, but as far as I know I have to manually back up my WordPress data in order to get it off the server.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Leslie B
    I use the wp-db-backup plugin. You can set it so that it automatically sends you a backup of your database to your email for example. Besides the database that I get every week, I will also get a copy of my wp-content folder. I download that through my file manager or via an ftp program

    Leslie
    Signature
    Taking it one day at a time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350943].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author hometutor
      Originally Posted by Leslie B View Post

      I use the wp-db-backup plugin. You can set it so that it automatically sends you a backup of your database to your email for example. Besides the database that I get every week, I will also get a copy of my wp-content folder. I download that through my file manager or via an ftp program

      Leslie
      Been wondering how to do that thanks. I don't suppose there's a plugin to install all the plugins I usually install?

      Rick
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
    OUCH...

    That's gotta hurt right now. I wonder who is in an office over at blogetery somewhere dealing with this, I'd like to offer that guy a drink right now... he's gonna need it.

    Ouch, just ouch.
    Signature

    Bare Murkage.........

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2350953].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
      Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

      OUCH...

      That's gotta hurt right now. I wonder who is in an office over at blogetery somewhere dealing with this, I'd like to offer that guy a drink right now... he's gonna need it.

      Ouch, just ouch.
      He's going to need a really big drink. Are hosting companies even liable for lost data? That is one part of the internet world I am definitely not familiar with, but you would think a hosting company would cover themselves in their TOS for an event like this.

      And, this just goes to show, don't ever take a "free" domain name. Spend the whopping $10 and just register elsewhere. It's just ten dollars. It's interesting they went after the hosting provider of the sites, instead of the sites themselves. That could definitely put a big dent in these sites popping up if hosting providers won't allow them onboard because of a shutdown.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351023].message }}
      • Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post

        And, this just goes to show, don't ever take a "free" domain name. Spend the whopping $10 and just register elsewhere. It's just ten dollars.
        It made the news because 73,000 blogs were instantly affected, but it is important to note that ANYONE hosting with this company lost their site and data. Even people who didn't have a "free" hosting account through their blog.

        Think about it this way: If Hostgator or Bluehost got shut down by the government this afternoon, would you be in crisis mode? Yeah, nobody's gonna write an article about how you lost your site, but to you it doesn't matter whether it's one person or 1 million. Your site is still gone.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351030].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
          Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post

          It made the news because 73,000 blogs were instantly affected, but it is important to note that ANYONE hosting with this company lost their site and data. Even people who didn't have a "free" hosting account through their blog.

          Think about it this way: If Hostgator or Bluehost got shut down by the government this afternoon, would you be in crisis mode? Yeah, nobody's gonna write an article about how you lost your site, but to you it doesn't matter whether it's one person or 1 million. Your site is still gone.
          If Hostgator went down today and I owned the domain name instead of taking one of those "free with hosting purchase" domain names couldn't I just find a new host, import my backed up blog and change the name servers in my namecheap account with 20 minutes of finding out?

          So, no I wouldn't be in crisis mode. Would I be in crisis mode if I couldn't move my domain name from one host's DNS to the next? Yeah probably. Might be a little peeved as well if I didn't back up my files, but I always do. Definitely sucks for those that didn't though.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351090].message }}
          • Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post

            If Hostgator went down today and I owned the domain name instead of taking one of those "free with hosting purchase" domain names couldn't I just find a new host, import my backed up blog and change the name servers in my namecheap account with 20 minutes of finding out?

            So, no I wouldn't be in crisis mode. Would I be in crisis mode if I couldn't move my domain name from one host's DNS to the next? Yeah probably. Might be a little peeved as well if I didn't back up my files, but I always do. Definitely sucks for those that didn't though.
            I wasn't directing that "you" at you particularly, just giving people in general the idea that this could be a big deal. Back in early 2000's there were a number of host companies that went belly up as well and when they shut the lights off there wasn't anyone there to get your data for you.

            But you're correct: Stay away from getting your hosting and domain name at the same place.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351105].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
              Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post

              I wasn't directing that "you" at you particularly, just giving people in general the idea that this could be a big deal. Back in early 2000's there were a number of host companies that went belly up as well and when they shut the lights off there wasn't anyone there to get your data for you.

              But you're correct: Stay away from getting your hosting and domain name at the same place.
              lol I know you weren't, just wanted to clarify what I was trying to say. Your right this definitely IS a big deal, especially for those of us who follow the battle between the torrent sites and just about everyone. This could prove to be a serious blow to the pirates if hosting providers start rushing to drop torrent sites because they can be shut down for providing services to them.

              It also really sucks for those who have been affected. I would be a pretty pissed off camper if I hadn't taken the proper precautions. Losing all my data not too long ago on a hard drive was proof enough for me that I need to back up everything.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351136].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Regina Meyers
        Painful!

        Most certainly brings backing up the blogs to the forefront.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351061].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
          Originally Posted by Regina Meyers View Post

          Painful!

          Most certainly brings backing up the blogs to the forefront.
          That's an understatement.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351087].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Norma Rickman
        Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post

        H
        And, this just goes to show, don't ever take a "free" domain name. Spend the whopping $10 and just register elsewhere. It's just ten dollars.

        Wurd, dude.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372591].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Wow ... that's incredible. On the one hand, I'm glad that a host hosting torrent sites got shut down. On the other hand, why do the innocent have to suffer? Geeesh. Seems like you can't win.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351056].message }}
  • I have a business idea for one of your whiz kid programmers out there.
    1. Get an amazon S3 account.
    2. Create an simple interface to register users.
    3. Create a browser based interface to log-in to people's WordPress, AWeber, etc. and autobackup all the data on a daily basis to the cloud.
    4. ???????
    5. PROFIT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
    It always seems that when new policies are put into effect, especially
    when they're designed to fight something like infringement, that the
    initial efforts are a bit overkill.

    Shoot first... maybe or maybe not ask questions, later.

    So, hopefully two things will happen. The FTC will become more sensitive
    and aware of collateral damage such as hurting legitimate businesses that just
    happened to be hosted at the wrong place. Secondly, events like this will
    compel other hosting companies to become more proactive by refusing service
    to sites that engage in illegal activities.

    Perhaps the torrents were against the specific TOS of that hosting provider,
    but they didn't pay attention or really care.


    Ken
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351122].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
      Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

      It always seems that when new policies are put into effect, especially
      when they're designed to fight something like infringement, that the
      initial efforts are a bit overkill.

      Shoot first... maybe or maybe not ask questions, later.

      So, hopefully two things will happen. The FTC will become more sensitive
      and aware of collateral damage such as hurting legitimate businesses that just
      happened to be hosted at the wrong place. Secondly, events like this will
      compel other hosting companies to become more proactive by refusing service
      to sites that engage in illegal activities.

      Perhaps the torrents were against the specific TOS of that hosting provider,
      but they didn't pay attention or really care.


      Ken
      I'm not quite sure the FTC is concerned about collateral damage in this scenario. Especially because if you are a web hosting company you are going to see that you will LOSE EVERYTHING if you are caught hosting a torrent site. News like this could scare the hosting providers from providing service to the "illegal" sites and provide a serious blow to those who run (and profit) from running those sites.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351144].message }}
      • Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post

        I'm not quite sure the FTC is concerned about collateral damage in this scenario. Especially because if you are a web hosting company you are going to see that you will LOSE EVERYTHING if you are caught hosting a torrent site. News like this could scare the hosting providers from providing service to the "illegal" sites and provide a serious blow to those who run (and profit) from running those sites.
        If you look at how the government has treated RIAA lawsuits, you may be exactly right (though there may be a backlash starting now.)

        Basically anyone who shared music online was sued for such a huge amount it would impoverish any file sharer. The RIAA's strategy was to smash small offenders so hard it would strike fear into anyone considering sharing a music file.

        Until the last month or so the courts have upheld their claims (I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong.)

        Copyright is such a fluid issue right now it will be interesting to see what will happen.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kindsvater
    Something is not being fully reported.

    The US government cannot simply order websites shutdown.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
      Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Something is not being fully reported.

      The US government cannot simply order websites shutdown.
      The US government can do ANYTHING they like.

      Didn't you know?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351413].message }}
    • Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Something is not being fully reported.

      The US government cannot simply order websites shutdown.
      Actually it is reported.

      The hosting company was hosting a number of torrent sites where copyrighted materials were being shared freely. It is against the law to do so.

      But to me it's like finding out one apartment in a building is selling drugs so you kick everyone out and padlock the building.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351430].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author evollusion
        Must... resist... shameless... plug... Whew. just managed to do it.

        Also you should look at this scenario. If you use one of those online backup sites such as that one named after that Han Solo was frozen with. Don't get me wrong, they are great (I use one myself) but they are no replacement for a beautiful 500gig - 1 TB that you have in your home.

        I actually keep a push-button backup hard drive at my home, and back up to an online service as well.

        My theory behind it is this. Let's just say said uber-large-online-backup company happens to have some bad guy's backup on their huge storage network and that your data just happens to reside on the same hard drive. FBI/NSA swoops in and confiscates it. Guess what, you aren't getting your data back and if you don't have a backup on another device...

        I'll just let it hang there.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351459].message }}
        • Originally Posted by evollusion View Post

          My theory behind it is this. Let's just say said uber-large-online-backup company happens to have some bad guy's backup on their huge storage network and that your data just happens to reside on the same hard drive. FBI/NSA swoops in and confiscates it. Guess what, you aren't getting your data back and if you don't have a backup on another device...

          I'll just let it hang there.
          Let me preface this by saying anything can happen.

          But I do think there is a major difference and I think it would not be lost even on our technically slow government...

          A hosting company has open contact with the content of a site. They know what content is on their servers.

          While I don't know about all remote back-up companies, but Mozy, the one I use, encrypts the data with my encryption key and no one at Mozy can access my data even if they want to.

          But I also back up locally to an external. Just not as often. Cause it's a pain.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351472].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Eric Lorence
        Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post

        Actually it is reported.

        The hosting company was hosting a number of torrent sites where copyrighted materials were being shared freely. It is against the law to do so.

        But to me it's like finding out one apartment in a building is selling drugs so you kick everyone out and padlock the building.
        More like a shady uncle growing pot plants in your basement ...

        They can and will seize your house.

        You can argue that it wasn't yours ...

        Though I wonder how youtube can get away with a thousand times the copyright infringement ... oh, I remember - a multi-million dollar legal team.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355125].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by kindsvater View Post

      Something is not being fully reported.

      The US government cannot simply order websites shutdown.
      There is something else going on and apparently [shrugging head while typing] blogetery doesn't have a clue.

      This is a comment from a Bursnet Rep on the 14th about the blogetery account...

      BurstNET_CSM BurstNET_CSM
      View Beta Profile
      Junior Guru

      We notified him when we terminated it, and we refunded him his money to his account, becasue he has other servers with us. If he wants the refund to his card, we can easily do that. However, it should be the least of his concern.

      Simply put: We cannot give him his data nor can we provide any other details. By stating this, most would recognize that something serious is afoot.

      As far as his request to speak with the law enforcement officials, he sent it last night at 7PM, after Customer service was closed. We are looking into his request with the necessary persons.

      This is the last post we will make on this subject.
      And the blogetery response was...

      I didn't do anything illegal, so I'm not worrying about this. But you concern should be your customers in the 1st place, then some law enforcement officials.
      So yes, there is a lot more going on than meets they eye or what was stated by Torrentfreak.

      I hope the owner(s) of blogetery is smart enough to shut his mouth, go get an attorney and let them do his talking. He's stating he doesn't know what the heck is going on. But, the thing is, Federal authorities don't typically take action unless they can prove a case.

      Consequently, the blogetery folks have got some MAJOR issues. Oh, and if you have a site/blog with them, you need to know that blogetery stated that they didn't backup anything.

      The takeaway from this mess is; have a PLAN B at all times and be ready to implement it at the drop of a dime!

      Never rely on ANYONE to do your backups. If you can't access your backups at any time you choose, you don't have any backups.

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351559].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        Never rely on ANYONE to do your backups. If you can't access your backups at any time you choose, you don't have any backups.
        Well said and really is crucial for something as simple as a hard drive failure.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351568].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
          Wow. To me it seems the whole idea of sending out a serious message to those involved in these types of sites is most definitely complicated beyond our understanding. If blogetery was an easy to pluck target, it is possible that it just sucks for them to not have been any bigger or smaller. They were the porridge that was "just right" for the three big bad bears to come find them...and then spank their asses publicly.

          Hopefully the message goes out crystal clear to others who are all up in the sharing links and torrents scene, regardless of what the details are here.

          Somebody is probably going to be paying out some serious dough behind the scenes of this for a looooong time to come.
          Signature
          Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

          Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351657].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author IMChick
            This is the precise scenario that business interruption insurance is purchased to insure against in the B&M world. When a catastrophic event shuts or interrupts the business, the business can prove income through past records, and is compensated for the loss through this type of insurance.

            Best advice in the thread is to:

            1. back up WP blogs using WordPress › BackWPup WordPress Plugins

            2. keep domain purchase and domain hosting separate.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351711].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
      Brian,
      Something is not being fully reported.
      Yeah. The reason the government ordered the site taken down. Which branch is behind the investigation. Whether the whole thing was the target, or just specific blogs, which may not yet have been determined.

      Pretty much nothing is being reported except, "We took it down because we had to in order to comply with legally authorized demands."

      The fact that it was a free blogging platform means nothing. The kind of content that prompted the action is what I'd like to know. Offhand, I can think of several sorts of things that would prompt an immediate and severe response. The obvious one is child porn. Less likely are terrorist groups using the site to communicate (not a DMCA issue, so the site owner might not have received any complaints), or rampant piracy or phishing they might believe the owner was involved in.

      We don't know which of those it is, or if it's something else entirely. We can guess that the guy hosting the blogs isn't the direct target, since they refunded him and left his other servers up. Even that's a guess, though.


      Paul
      Signature
      .
      Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tomos Wyn
    Have I backed up my blog or website recently? No

    Will I? Yes, I guess I'll either store my backups locally or store them on the web using Amazon or Dropbox.

    And as Leslie B said, I'd never buy my domain & hosting from the same place, too much risk involved in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mainstreetcm
    Ok so I re-read this article and I think we are getting something wrong here.

    In the OP you said

    Keep in mind the government had no problem with the Blogerty sites, just other sites also hosted on the same servers.
    But in the article they indicate that "it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of a history of abuse."

    The article says nothing about torrent sites being hosted and this blogger platform was just a "casualty." They go onto say that "Indeed, 73,000 blogs is a significant number to take down in one swoop, regardless of what some users of the site may or may not have been doing. Time will tell if it was indeed a copyright complaint that took down the service but the signs are certainly there."

    Sounds like to me the Government told the host to pull THIS particular website because of the content it had on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FrankBowman
    So this is why some people have offshore hosting...........
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351588].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by FrankBowman View Post

      So this is why some people have offshore hosting...........
      So what happens in the event of a Tsunami...

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351604].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        So what happens in the event of a Tsunami...

        Giles, the Crew Chief
        Or an oil leak.

        You never know, it could happen.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brad Gosse
    Got my own servers that back up every 24 hrs

    No worries here.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351611].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author quickregister
    That seems like selective enforcement to me. There is tons of copyrighted material on youtube, facebook etc and they give these site the chance to take it down before they nuke the whole company.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351617].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by quickregister View Post

      That seems like selective enforcement to me. There is tons of copyrighted material on youtube, facebook etc and they give these site the chance to take it down before they nuke the whole company.
      It is sort of selective enforcement. It has to be with 'Operation In Our Sites' and I think this is just the beginning of sites being shut down that involve movie and music piracy specifically. As for the blog site, they "had a history of abuse" and were deliberately shut down.

      "Operation In Our Sites" targets Internet movie pirates
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351698].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
        Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

        It is sort of selective enforcement. It has to be with 'Operation In Our Sites' and I think this is just the beginning of sites being shut down that involve movie and music piracy specifically. As for the blog site, they "had a history of abuse" and were deliberately shut down.

        "Operation In Our Sites" targets Internet movie pirates
        Just the beginning may be a monumental understatement.

        Look who's involved?
        • Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
        • U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York (SDNY)
        • ICE's Homeland Security Investigations (HSI)
        • Senior representatives from major movie studios
        • Entertainment unions
        • Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)
        • National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center
        • Directors Guild of America
        • International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE
        Here's my thinking, if you have a site or sites that deal in any of the affiliate programs that offers movie and music downloads and free PC TV, I'd probably go into shutdown mode yesterday!

        This is serious!

        Oh, and did you catch the paradox in the Operation Title?

        Giles, the Crew Chief
        Signature
        Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

        SEO G.O.L.D. = Genuine Overall Link Diversity
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FrankBowman
    Bottom line is, you can't fight the Feds.........
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351639].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TristanPerry
    Reminds me of the time when the FBI found a server which contained illegal content, and so they got a warrant to enter the datacentre storing the server, but they shut-down the entire datacentre (thus shutting off 1,000s of servers and potentially millions of websites..) for a couple of hours whilst they removed this 1 server...

    Have never understood why they didn't just take the 1 server and leave everything else be.

    Anywhoo, this is definitely a good reminder that you should keep backups daily (even if your host create daily offsite backups too)

    You can never have too many backups. But you can definitely have too few backups
    Signature
    Plagiarism Guard - Protect Against Content Theft
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351791].message }}
    • Originally Posted by TristanPerry View Post

      Reminds me of the time when the FBI found a server which contained illegal content, and so they got a warrant to enter the datacentre storing the server, but they shut-down the entire datacentre (thus shutting off 1,000s of servers and potentially millions of websites..) for a couple of hours whilst they removed this 1 server...

      Have never understood why they didn't just take the 1 server and leave everything else be.

      Anywhoo, this is definitely a good reminder that you should keep backups daily (even if your host create daily offsite backups too)

      You can never have too many backups. But you can definitely have too few backups
      That's pretty much what I read--a few months back.

      At the time I chocked it up to the general technical ignorance of law enforcement. I don't think we've gotten to a place where most agencies are up to speed on how to create a search warrant for digital info to a judge and most judges are probably not technically savvy enough to understand what is an appropriate scope for a search and what is not.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2351995].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author FrankBowman
        Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post

        At the time I chocked it up to the general technical ignorance of law enforcement. I don't think we've gotten to a place where most agencies are up to speed on how to create a search warrant for digital info to a judge and most judges are probably not technically savvy enough to understand what is an appropriate scope for a search and what is not.
        I don't believe that for a second. The Feds have access to technology we don't even know exists. It's just part of their MO. Come in like bullies and disrupt everybody. They don't give a hang about who they hurt or how much they hurt. Collateral damage is part of their SOP ...........in my opinion of course.

        BTW, am I still allowed an opinion or does this also fall under BlueFart?
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2353303].message }}
        • Originally Posted by FrankBowman View Post

          I don't believe that for a second. The Feds have access to technology we don't even know exists. It's just part of their MO. Come in like bullies and disrupt everybody. They don't give a hang about who they hurt or how much they hurt. Collateral damage is part of their SOP ...........in my opinion of course.
          I can't say you're wrong, but I hope not. I'd like to hope that even though there are some completely selfish people in our government, there are still far more decent people.

          Heck, one of my sons works for the Dept of State. I think he's decent.

          I know after 9/11 there was quite a bit of press about the terribly old technology being used by the FBI and that was one of the reasons investigations were so difficult to coordinate.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2354489].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Paul Myers
          Frank,
          BTW, am I still allowed an opinion or does this also fall under BlueFart?
          No-one can take away your right to whatever opinion you wish to hold. We can refuse to provide the vehicle for you to voice it, however.

          Depends on the topic, the context and how you express it. For instance, the quoted sentence was deliberately provocative and had no relevance to the topic of this thread, which makes it seem like a direct challenge. Or an attempt to preempt argument.

          Stating something as a fact and then saying ", in my opinion" is an old technique for arguing badly. It's like saying, "The Earth is flat, in my opinion." That's not an opinion at all. It's a belief. They are very different things.

          Don't do this again. And don't try to turn this thread into a debate about your rights.


          Paul
          Signature
          .
          Stop by Paul's Pub - my little hangout on Facebook.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2354589].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Blogmudgeon
          Doesn't matter what the issues are. One day Wordpress decides to dump 70K junky thin affiliate sites. Too bad.

          The bottom line here is simple, and there is no reason to be beat around the bush. Anyone who does not regularly back up their entire site (including the database) is a fool and deserves whatever consequences come to them.

          It's just simple site management folks. And if you are with a provider that will not allow you to backup your front end and its MySQL database--then you are with the wrong provider. But hey, it's only money... :p
          Signature

          Patrick

          "There ain't no secret sauce..."

          |My Internet Marketing Adventures Blog :: Facebook Page|

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2981398].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alsmith1
    I guess backing up my site should be my #1 priority, that would be terrible especially if you had a series of sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352046].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
    The US authorities did not shut them down. The host shut them down, because the authorities told them of some things they had on the server.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352079].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by mgtarheels View Post

      The US authorities did not shut them down. The host shut them down, because the authorities told them of some things they had on the server.
      Now it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of "a history of abuse".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352201].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kay King
        Gives a whole new meaning to collateral damage, doesn't it?
        Signature
        Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

        Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2352207].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cotton
      Originally Posted by mgtarheels View Post

      The US authorities did not shut them down. The host shut them down, because the authorities told them of some things they had on the server.
      Same difference.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Online Bliss
    The US authorities did not shut them down. The host shut them down, because the authorities told them of some things they had on the server.
    In cases such as Child Pornography etc.
    We would not think twice about the Feds ordering
    the host companies to shut it down.

    We should however, have knowledge of why the Government
    gets it's hands on everything. This is not China!
    Signature
    You've got it Made
    with the Guy in the Shades!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2353658].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Online Bliss View Post

      In cases such as Child Pornography etc.
      We would not think twice about the Feds ordering
      the host companies to shut it down.

      We should however, have knowledge of why the Government
      gets it's hands on everything. This is not China!
      It's fairly simple. Pirating movies, TV shows and music is illegal and the government is cracking down on it.

      I'm sure everyone knows, or should know that building a business on a free platform is like building a house on sand. Squidoo, Hubpages, Blogger blogs ... all shut you down without blinking if they want to. No one hollers government conspiracy then.

      If you want to build a business, buy a domain and hosting and you won't be involved in a massive takedown when the domain in question is hosting pirated materials or whatever they did.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2353684].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
    Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post


    I'm interested in your thoughts....
    The host shut them down - I dont see where they have any real complaint
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2353680].message }}
  • Originally Posted by ProductCreator View Post

    Something doesn't add up here. I think there is more than meets the eye and we don't yet know the full facts. OR, seeing how open the operator is being on webhostingtalk, this is just a major screw-up by law enforcement, going way beyond what is required (like that server example spoken about).

    Otherwise, Blogger would have been shut down a long time ago. There is plenty of pirated stuff on there that Google does nothing about.
    I suspect the reason for the crackdown has to do with two factors. First, of course, is the site is giving access to copyrighted info. The second is the site is popular with people looking for copyrighted info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355063].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
      Originally Posted by Kevin-VirtualProfitCenter View Post

      I suspect the reason for the crackdown has to do with two factors. First, of course, is the site is giving access to copyrighted info. The second is the site is popular with people looking for copyrighted info.
      There were much bigger targets than the ones they "got" so, there is definitely some sort of "back story" here that more than likely we will never know.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author humbledmarket
    Banned
    Ouch that must hurt. But did they send any warning or notification to the host at all?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mary Green
    Its definitely a good idea to keep things backed up. I use this site Blog Backup | BlogBackupr.com but there are more sophisticated ways to do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rpw
    I do not understand how is it that the U.S. Government can trample the rights of others over a few illegal blogs.
    Signature

    Robert P. Williams

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355136].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulaC
    I guess this is another good reason to diversify in this business.
    Signature

    My Blog --> Affiliate Blog Online

    Our New Membership Site - Affiliate Tools HQ

    Amazonian Profit Plan - Our Complete Blueprint for Making Money Online by Promoting Amazon Products - The Amazonian Profit Plan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2355177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    So basically, the Feds contacted burst net about one blog with similar content to an online terrorist scum-site they are targeting. A guy at burst net panicked, read the letter wrong and thought they wanted the server rather than jut info relating to than the individuals involved and so he pulled the lot down.

    AFAIK bomb making tips are not actually illegal anyway? In fact isn't it more illegal to take them down without going through the proper legal process?

    They may be against a hosts TOS but in itself its not a reason for the Feds to gt involved?

    Another case of a few mad people intent on hurting others causing everyone else to be paranoid.

    I have a blog host nearly the size of blogetery, so best I update my trigger word notification plugin after reading up on bomb making!

    And as for all those copies of the "anarchists cook book" bloating around on line - well I hope those people delete them in case they become an FBI "person of interest".
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2364203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KenThompson
      Originally Posted by jazbo View Post

      They may be against a hosts TOS but in itself its not a reason for the Feds to gt involved?

      And as for all those copies of the "anarchists cook book" bloating around on line - well I hope those people delete them in case they become an FBI "person of interest".
      I think you're safe selling the book.

      Sorry for the copy and paste. Been writing all day.

      This is from slashdot:

      Burst.net shut down Blogetery of its own accord after the FBI made a request to the host for information on the people who made the posts. '[Burst.net CTO Joe Marr] said the FBI contacted Burst.net and sent a Voluntary Emergency Disclosure of Information request.

      The letter said terrorist material, which presented a threat to American lives, was found on a server hosted by Burst.net and asked for specific information about the people involved. In the FBI's letter, the agency included a clause that says Web hosts and Internet service providers may voluntarily elect to shut down the sites of customers involved in these kinds of situations.

      Slashdot | Blogetery Shutdown Due To al-Qaeda Info

      So it seems to me the feds didn't come in with guns blazing. At
      least that's my impression.

      Ken
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372557].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
        Originally Posted by KenThompson View Post

        So it seems to me the feds didn't come in with guns blazing. At
        least that's my impression.

        Ken
        I Think you are right, Ken. That is what happens when someone assumes....
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372620].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tamiro1992
    That really sucks for all those that had blogs over there, is there any way to back up your data. They should not penalize everyone for just a couple blogs, they should have just removed those blogs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2364451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gameutopia
    It seems like it's a big mystery why they were shut down or deleted. I did read something about there was a link to some bomb making something or other. It's hard to imagine they would shut them all down for 1 blog. You think they would just disable the 1 blog. Who knows there could be more going on than they tell us though. A bummer for those that had legit blogs there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sqnwk
    That's a lot of sites to take down in one swoop
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2372648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author journey916
    Why is everything getting shut down all of the sudden, limewire, torrent sites now blogs its kind of a little much now!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2981103].message }}

Trending Topics