Can anyone guide me in the right direction regarding Product Creation?

by TTran
25 replies
I feel like it's time for me to move on from affiliate marketing to product creation.

Honestly, I've only made about 500 bucks total from IM, and I have 300 I'm willing to spend.

Before I had this revelation, I was planning on slowly building up my product review sites with some hardcore backlinking until I made a more consistent income...

But now I feel I should just screw it. I don't want to invest all the time in someone else's product. I want to be the person affiliates are slaving away for.

My real question is, can anyone help me by telling me the best way to get into product creation while spending the least amount of money possible?

I fully understand that it takes money to make money, and I'll do that, once I have some money.

By the way, I've read almost all of the posts in the WarRoom about product creation and think I have a pretty good idea of what's ahead of me.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any specific advice for me to help get me started with a low startup budget.

I would greatly appreciate it,
Thao Tran
#creation #direction #guide #product
  • Profile picture of the author JennSpencerIM
    Check out Russell Brunson and DotComSecrets.com - that's where I learned product creation and would highly recommend them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357699].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KenJ
    Hi Thao

    Great decision to make your own product. I am working on my 3rd one right now.

    You need to find a problem or need that people need to solve urgently.
    This requires keyword research and knowledge.

    I like Kevin Riley.s product creation tutorial as it tells you the basics without getting too complicated. I won't post the link as I can't remember if it is OK to do so.

    I now have 2 products on clickbank that affiliates are promoting. I get a cut of all their sales and 95% value of my own sales. Plus I am in control.

    Kenj
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357702].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
    Originally Posted by TTran View Post

    I feel like it's time for me to move on from affiliate marketing to product creation.

    Honestly, I've only made about 500 bucks total from IM, and I have 300 I'm willing to spend.

    Before I had this revelation, I was planning on slowly building up my product review sites with some hardcore backlinking until I made a more consistent income...

    But now I feel I should just screw it. I don't want to invest all the time in someone else's product. I want to be the person affiliates are slaving away for.

    My real question is, can anyone help me by telling me the best way to get into product creation while spending the least amount of money possible?

    I fully understand that it takes money to make money, and I'll do that, once I have some money.

    By the way, I've read almost all of the posts in the QarRoom about product creation and think I have a pretty good idea of what's ahead of me.

    I'm just wondering if anyone has any specific advice for me to help get me started with a low startup budget.

    I would greatly appreciate it,
    Thao Tran
    What kind of products do you want to create?

    IM products?

    OR

    Non IM Products?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357709].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amanda Craven
    What kind of product are you intending to create? An eBook, I assume? Or something more complex, e.g. videos, software etc?

    I ask because each requires their own level of expertise and, with your first product, you want to play to your strengths. If you're a good writer, for example, then that eBook is the way to go provided you have something to say.

    On a tight budget, outsourcing is going to be difficult if you want quality. And that really is what you want to be aiming for in this situation. So maybe it's an idea to sit down and brainstorm your strengths/weaknesses and come up with a game plan for your product, then move on to its creation.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357714].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TTran
      Originally Posted by Jeremy Kelsall View Post

      What kind of products do you want to create?

      IM products?

      OR

      Non IM Products?
      I'm looking to make non IM products for now.

      Originally Posted by Amanda Craven View Post

      What kind of product are you intending to create? An eBook, I assume? Or something more complex, e.g. videos, software etc?

      I ask because each requires their own level of expertise and, with your first product, you want to play to your strengths. If you're a good writer, for example, then that eBook is the way to go provided you have something to say.

      On a tight budget, outsourcing is going to be difficult if you want quality. And that really is what you want to be aiming for in this situation. So maybe it's an idea to sit down and brainstorm your strengths/weaknesses and come up with a game plan for your product, then move on to its creation.

      Good luck!
      I'm most likely going to write an ebook. I don't mind writing that much and would like to focus on creating a really high quality product.
      Signature
      Trying to get ahead by starting young, mind helping a kid out? :D
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357732].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
        Originally Posted by TTran View Post

        I'm looking to make non IM products for now.
        Depending on what the topic is, look inside of places like howtodothings.com or even for personal blogs and find people that are writing about the subject that appear to be "in the know" that ARE NOT monetizing their know how, then do the following.

        1. Contact them and explain to them what you do.
        2. Ask them if they would be interested in writing more on the subject for money
        3. Offer them a percentage of sales or in some cases even the $300 would be enough to entice them into it.
        4. Profit
        5. Repeat

        In most niches, you can almost always find people that are passionate enough about the subject that they would be more than happy to do most of the work for you in exchange for some sort of recognition, money, or both.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357786].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TTran
          Originally Posted by Jeremy Kelsall View Post

          Depending on what the topic is, look inside of places like howtodothings.com or even for personal blogs and find people that are writing about the subject that appear to be "in the know" that ARE NOT monetizing their know how, then do the following.

          1. Contact them and explain to them what you do.
          2. Ask them if they would be interested in writing more on the subject for money
          3. Offer them a percentage of sales or in some cases even the $300 would be enough to entice them into it.
          4. Profit
          5. Repeat

          In most niches, you can almost always find people that are passionate enough about the subject that they would be more than happy to do most of the work for you in exchange for some sort of recognition, money, or both.
          Hmm, thank you very much for another way to help create the product.

          If it's not too much to ask: assuming I've created a killer product already with a decent sales page, do you know any unique ways to drive traffic to it affordably? (Besides SEO and article marketing and whatnot, I'll be doing that too)
          Signature
          Trying to get ahead by starting young, mind helping a kid out? :D
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357880].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
            Originally Posted by TTran View Post

            Hmm, thank you very much for another way to help create the product.

            If it's not too much to ask: assuming I've created a killer product already with a decent sales page, do you know any unique ways to drive traffic to it affordably? (Besides SEO and article marketing and whatnot, I'll be doing that too)
            Create a freebie report (a good one) and as long as there are other product owners/vendors in your niche offer them the right to give it away to all of their subscribers with your info branded in it, and potentially sending them to a sqeeze page...

            As long as you product is "somewhat" different from theirs, they will probably agree, and everyone wins.

            • They get some good content to feed their subscribers
            • you get some opt-ins and later some sales
            • The subscribers get some free info and potentially more answers solutions to their problems.
            Alternatively, as long as you don't mind remaining anonymous for the most part, you could create the product in it's entirety and then contact one of the "bigger" guys/gals in the niche, and proposition them to sell the actual product as a JV type deal with their name on the cover and to split profits with you 50/50...why would they say no?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357897].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TTran
              Originally Posted by Jeremy Kelsall View Post

              Create a freebie report (a good one) and as long as there are other product owners/vendors in your niche offer them the right to give it away to all of their subscribers with your info branded in it, and potentially sending them to a sqeeze page...

              As long as you product is "somewhat" different from theirs, they will probably agree, and everyone wins.

              • They get some good content to feed their subscribers
              • you get some opt-ins and later some sales
              • The subscribers get some free info and potentially more answers solutions to their problems.
              Alternatively, as long as you don't mind remaining anonymous for the most part, you could create the product in it's entirety and then contact one of the "bigger" guys/gals in the niche, and proposition them to sell the actual product as a JV type deal with their name on the cover and to split profits with you 50/50...why would they say no?
              Hmm, I don't mind being anonymous. This sounds like a good idea for my first product to create some revenue.

              Anyone know any ways I can do this with the least chance of getting screwed? Any payment processors that can ensure the 50/50 split?
              Signature
              Trying to get ahead by starting young, mind helping a kid out? :D
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357970].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Kelsall
                Originally Posted by TTran View Post

                Hmm, I don't mind being anonymous. This sounds like a good idea for my first product to create some revenue.

                Anyone know any ways I can do this with the least chance of getting screwed? Any payment processors that can ensure the 50/50 split?
                It's more of a "trust based" thing - The smart thing to do would be to have some sort of written agreement upfront even if it was just email correspondence or some sort of agreement that was signed electronically.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2358050].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author TTran
                  Originally Posted by impact-productions View Post

                  With 300 dollars, you should be able to create a complete product funnel, including hosting, autoresponder, a free optin report, a paid product and an upsell product, plus have money to launch it as a WSO. Within that budget, you'll be able to outsource some of it, but you'll have to do some of it yourself. But, it's quite possible if you work strategically.

                  Assuming you can create a product that interests people, you can draw a profit from that at launch - plus you'll have a product to continue making you money for months and years to come.

                  Then, you can rinse and repeat.

                  Thom
                  That I'm looking forward to =)

                  Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

                  Hi Thao

                  As a War Room member, you should definitely check old posts by Allen (admin).

                  Go for oldest threads
                  Yes I've checked them out, and that's actually what converted me into wanting to create my own product.

                  Originally Posted by createyouwealth View Post

                  Great decision to make your own product, my Social Domination Report will be released soon. What you will need to do is find an interest/need then do your market research by finding the solution to that need. That's what you basically have to do along with copy writing and creating a free product to give away that is very good in quality. All the best as I know you will be successful.
                  Thank man, I know exactly what product I'm going to create now and I'll be working on those right away.

                  Originally Posted by Kevin AKA Hubcap View Post

                  That's some solid advice.

                  If you're strapped for cash go with a percentage of sales. If not, offer the full amount up front, in this case $300 (if your research indicates a high percentage of success).
                  I'm thinking of setting my product up on clickbank, and maybe communicating with some "big dogs" in this niche to set up a higher commission for them before I launch.
                  Signature
                  Trying to get ahead by starting young, mind helping a kid out? :D
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2358845].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author createyouwealth
            Great decision to make your own product, my Social Domination Report will be released soon. What you will need to do is find an interest/need then do your market research by finding the solution to that need. That's what you basically have to do along with copy writing and creating a free product to give away that is very good in quality. All the best as I know you will be successful.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357908].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kevin AKA Hubcap
          Originally Posted by Jeremy Kelsall View Post

          Depending on what the topic is, look inside of places like howtodothings.com or even for personal blogs and find people that are writing about the subject that appear to be "in the know" that ARE NOT monetizing their know how, then do the following.

          1. Contact them and explain to them what you do.
          2. Ask them if they would be interested in writing more on the subject for money
          3. Offer them a percentage of sales or in some cases even the $300 would be enough to entice them into it.
          4. Profit
          5. Repeat

          In most niches, you can almost always find people that are passionate enough about the subject that they would be more than happy to do most of the work for you in exchange for some sort of recognition, money, or both.
          That's some solid advice.

          If you're strapped for cash go with a percentage of sales. If not, offer the full amount up front, in this case $300 (if your research indicates a high percentage of success).
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357974].message }}
  • With 300 dollars, you should be able to create a complete product funnel, including hosting, autoresponder, a free optin report, a paid product and an upsell product, plus have money to launch it as a WSO. Within that budget, you'll be able to outsource some of it, but you'll have to do some of it yourself. But, it's quite possible if you work strategically.

    Assuming you can create a product that interests people, you can draw a profit from that at launch - plus you'll have a product to continue making you money for months and years to come.

    Then, you can rinse and repeat.

    Thom
    Signature

    Get My Exclusive Online FAST Start Training
    Totally FREE For A Limited Time - No Email Optin Required

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Hi Thao

    As a War Room member, you should definitely check old posts by Allen (admin).

    Go for oldest threads
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2357751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hazel0513
    seems like you are getting alot of good advices congrats by the way for stepping out to make your own product.

    I have not much to comment as I do not create my own product yet but I have watched a video created by Lee McIntyre which I think worth to share some points here. He said, instead of creating one product after another in your niche, develop a sales funnel instead i.e. you have something to build your list, low end, backend, membership site or even coaching program. Then you just have to funnel your traffic from one end and you can focus well on your marketing, perfecting your system. Go deep before you go wide.

    Thought worth to share it with you. All the best!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2360115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WebTrafficFrenzy
    Hey Thao,

    You need to find a niche that you are familiar with. Then find a need or problem that people have - preferably, something that people are REALLY desperate to solve (e.g. acne, weight loss, etc.).

    Then choose what you want to do: eBook, Video Tutorials, Software, etc. and get to work.

    Actually creating the product is the longest step. Setting up the website, links, payment, etc. is quick and simple.
    Signature
    Web Traffic Frenzy - Launch Date 8/15/10 - JV's Welcome!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2363463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shabit87
    PM Sent, check it when you get a moment
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2364693].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Thao -sounds like you were not doing this as part of your affiliate marketing process, but probably should have been and this can also be your launch pad into product creation.

    Focus on list building - create a freebie for your market and give it away in exchange for their opt-in.

    Then, for now you can market them affiliate products, but you can easily convert those into buyers of your own product when it is ready.

    In the meantime, you get a group of eager prospects who can help you plan and position your info product.

    I've done this in 3 different niches where I wasn't certain on the angle of the infoproduct.

    I developed a 5-10 page content site with the main focus on squeeze page, built a list of a few hundred (you can do that in a day or two if you are willing to pay for the traffic, otherwise it may take you a couple of weeks). So clue#1 of what they want comes when they opt-in for your freebie.

    I then promoted a couple of affiliate products to them and watched which one turned out to be more popular (clue #2 as to what they wanted)

    I also surveyed those lists, asking them about their frustrations, problems they were trying to solve and other product decisions (Clue #3 to what they want)

    I blogged on a daily basis and sent each blog post notification out to my list with the hope that they would become engaged and leave comments - those comments are Clue #4 to what they wanted.

    Finally - I came up with problem statement, outline and title for the infoproduct and tested those with the list...even recruited some initial "beta" prospects who turned into rabid fans which helps when you go to launch.

    Hope this helps...I often advise my clients to start with their own website, blog and build a small list so they can go through the process above which helps come out with a much better product in the end.

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2365628].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author TTran
      Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post

      Thao -sounds like you were not doing this as part of your affiliate marketing process, but probably should have been and this can also be your launch pad into product creation.

      Focus on list building - create a freebie for your market and give it away in exchange for their opt-in.

      Then, for now you can market them affiliate products, but you can easily convert those into buyers of your own product when it is ready.

      In the meantime, you get a group of eager prospects who can help you plan and position your info product.

      I've done this in 3 different niches where I wasn't certain on the angle of the infoproduct.

      I developed a 5-10 page content site with the main focus on squeeze page, built a list of a few hundred (you can do that in a day or two if you are willing to pay for the traffic, otherwise it may take you a couple of weeks). So clue#1 of what they want comes when they opt-in for your freebie.

      I then promoted a couple of affiliate products to them and watched which one turned out to be more popular (clue #2 as to what they wanted)

      I also surveyed those lists, asking them about their frustrations, problems they were trying to solve and other product decisions (Clue #3 to what they want)

      I blogged on a daily basis and sent each blog post notification out to my list with the hope that they would become engaged and leave comments - those comments are Clue #4 to what they wanted.

      Finally - I came up with problem statement, outline and title for the infoproduct and tested those with the list...even recruited some initial "beta" prospects who turned into rabid fans which helps when you go to launch.

      Hope this helps...I often advise my clients to start with their own website, blog and build a small list so they can go through the process above which helps come out with a much better product in the end.

      Jeff
      Hmm, sounds like a very nice and affordable process for creating a product.

      But I already thought of a pretty good idea for a product and I know it's in demand because I am one of the target audiences. I have actual experience with solving the problem so I think it will turn out pretty well.

      I wonder if I can do something similar to that to build up to the launch of the product. Thanks for the help man and I got your PM
      Signature
      Trying to get ahead by starting young, mind helping a kid out? :D
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2365990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author inyah11
    Maybe this will help you get on track with a step by step product creation action steps. I'm having a free tele class for affiliates who want to launch your speaking, product creation, author success here.

    I'll discuss how I started from scratch with none of my own money and had a nice community in less than 10 weeks starting last October. It has grown to great JV and product creation opportunities, speaking on stage with "7-8 figure earners" and "best selling authors" within a year!

    The hour call is free! Definitely register for this call and Take lots of notes if you are serious about growing your business.

    -Ruth
    Signature

    Make 100% profit with JV Zoo product: $9.95 IDEAL JV QUICK START and $17 DONE FOR YOU MIRACLES and 50% monthly reoccurring revenue from $27/ month JUMP START YOUR REMARKABLE LEGACY GROUP COACHING
    .

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2366180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luis Gabriel
    To be honest I prefer Video. Because nowadays not many people like reading, unless it is an Ebook that has really powerful stuff like Google Sniper. But if you dont like writing you could make a Video Product, or another ideia for a product can be a Webinar, trust me a webinar is a great way to go.

    Luis Gabriel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2366639].message }}

Trending Topics