Is it Best to Keep a a Blog's Home Page Static or Dynamic with New Posts?

8 replies
I'm not sure which route to take here.

Would it be better to have the homepage list new posts as you post them?

From an seo stand point, I would think that a static page (that doesn't change) would be easier to target your keywords with.

My worries are that a home page that lists your last 5 or 6 posts you've written may have too many keywords and Google would look at that as keyword stuffing. Or in some instances may not have enough (depending on the articles or posts written).

But by having a static page, you can naturally place the right amount of keywords. Then, you can target individual keywords with the actual pages the articles are listed on.

What would be the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks.
#blog #dynamic #home #page #posts #static
  • Profile picture of the author Kerry Finch
    My understanding:
    You will set your keywords for your blog: home page.
    Each of your posts will have its own keywords.
    These don't come into play until the actual post is opened.

    I would always have most recent posts on your home page (i.e. not a static page) with the keyword being the main one you are targeting for your site/niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2373890].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aaallday2010
      Originally Posted by Kerry Finch View Post

      My understanding:

      These don't come into play until the actual post is opened.
      What exactly do you mean? It sounds as if you're saying Google (or other search engines) don't read posts on the homepage. Am I correct?

      @ryanbiddulph - Thanks for the response. But I'm not debating whether to go with a blog or a traditional static website. I'm wondering about the home page of my blog. My concern is that with numerous posts on the homepage, there may be a chance that google sees too many of my keywords as a result.

      Thanks for everyone else who has responded, but I'm still not sure yet how to do this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2374043].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Kerry Finch
        Originally Posted by aaallday2010 View Post

        What exactly do you mean? It sounds as if you're saying Google (or other search engines) don't read posts on the homepage. Am I correct?

        @ryanbiddulph - Thanks for the response. But I'm not debating whether to go with a blog or a traditional static website. I'm wondering about the home page of my blog. My concern is that with numerous posts on the homepage, there may be a chance that google sees too many of my keywords as a result.

        Thanks for everyone else who has responded, but I'm still not sure yet how to do this.
        Of course the search engines will read your home page. However when you write an individual post (at least in WordPress) you will nominate the keywords for that post, and perhaps meta tags. It is these that the SEs won't pick up on your home page.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2377140].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author aaallday2010
          Originally Posted by Kerry Finch View Post

          Of course the search engines will read your home page. However when you write an individual post (at least in WordPress) you will nominate the keywords for that post, and perhaps meta tags. It is these that the SEs won't pick up on your home page.
          Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense now.

          I think I'll keep the homepage fresh with new posts.

          Thanks to everyone who responded!!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2378774].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rash Ash
    Banned
    hi, yea I think Kerry has it right.

    I don't think you can get penalised too easily by google for "keyword stuffing" in the form you mentioned in your thread but it is possible.

    I would say keep your most recent post on your home page.

    Rash
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2373905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Go with the fresh blog feed.

    To position yourself as an authority you want to run a frequently updated, content rich blog. Static pages serve a purpose but more value can be offered through a blog.

    Ryan Biddulph
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2374012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author steveniam
    Currently I am using my sales pages as my home page for my blog. My blog postings are for seo purposes and traffic generation.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2374198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GTCRESSY
    I understand that Dynamic are the newest and the best.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2378844].message }}

Trending Topics