Will this website/blog make any money?

48 replies
Hello Warriors. First off let me say how much I LOVE this forum..It has been a God send and the people here are so kind and giving ...so thanks to everyone here ...

I just put up my new blog a few days ago and alot of you have reviewed it and given me great feedback as to the setup of the page ...

My question is for all the 'pros' out there ...will this site make any money?? simple dog training ..this is of course assuming i work hard and send traffic through article marketing, relevant forum post, and relevant blog commenting .

The reason I ask for your opinions on this is I am still confused about how to write content for the site...right now I am trying to sale cb and amazon products without sounding like I am trying to make a sale ...

I am wondering is this the right approach ..or should I 'Openly' try to sale products...?

Thanks for your time
Chad
#make #money #website or blog
  • Profile picture of the author Gclunis
    I love the website design..very simple..easy on the eyes. I think if you focus on quality traffic then you shouldn't have a problem seeing sales.

    As for your other question...what i've come to learn is that it's best to focus on providing quality before getting sales. After you provide quality then you can sell (regardless of approach) because you visitors will know that you are providing quality.

    Advice for you site..get an opt-in method up so that you can keep in touch with your visitors...get a quick simple dog training guide created so that you can offer an incentive.

    Umm you should know that dog training is a very big niche..you will have alot of competition. But a wise man once told me that regardless of your competition...if you keep providing quality value..you will get somewhere..even if its not fast.

    Best of luck..and please feel free to PM me if you have any questions..i may not be a pro but I can definitely give advice on the basics.

    G
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443584].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by Gclunis View Post

      I love the website design..very simple..easy on the eyes. I think if you focus on quality traffic then you shouldn't have a problem seeing sales.

      As for your other question...what i've come to learn is that it's best to focus on providing quality before getting sales. After you provide quality then you can sell (regardless of approach) because you visitors will know that you are providing quality.

      Advice for you site..get an opt-in method up so that you can keep in touch with your visitors...get a quick simple dog training guide created so that you can offer an incentive.

      Umm you should know that dog training is a very big niche..you will have alot of competition. But a wise man once told me that regardless of your competition...if you keep providing quality value..you will get somewhere..even if its not fast.

      Best of luck..and please feel free to PM me if you have any questions..i may not be a pro but I can definitely give advice on the basics.

      G
      Hey ..thanks alot for your feedback ...its encouraging to hear that you like the site layout ..

      I am working on getting an opt-in or squeeze page created....just not sure how to do it without a service such as awebber...which quite honestly I can afford to add at this time...

      I understand what you are saying about quality content...This is what I was thinking when I started out ...but i have seen so many blogs simply pitching a product...i thought maybe i was off in my thinking...

      thanks again for the advice.

      Chad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gclunis
    After reading through some of your content a little..you should definitely pay attention to spelling errors and wrong words. Always double...and triple check your work before publishing. A simple spelling error could discredit you as an authority in the eyes of your visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443589].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KatyaSenina
    I like the clean and neat look of your site. Thumbs up for your writing style. I really enjoyed reading your posts and although I have a dog myself (rottweiler) I'm not a big fan of training my dog and don't really enjoy reading about dog training, but this really kept my attention. I think that's a good sign.

    I advice to add some banners. Though you did a great job on softselling (hard selling is for vendors)... It's still hard to spot the affiliatelinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443593].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by KatyaSenina View Post

      I like the clean and neat look of your site. Thumbs up for your writing style. I really enjoyed reading your posts and although I have a dog myself (rottweiler) I'm not a big fan of training my dog and don't really enjoy reading about dog training, but this really kept my attention. I think that's a good sign.

      I advice to add some banners. Though you did a great job on softselling (hard selling is for vendors)... It's still hard to spot the affiliatelinks.
      Hey thanks so much for the complements on the site layout and on my writing style... its great to hear that I kept your attention ..even in a subject of no interest to you thats a great compliment...

      Good luck with that rotweiler ...such a big dog ...but I like them

      Thanks for posting
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EmpyreRamiz
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gclunis
    blogs that simply pitch a product are either a part of a bigger funnel..or just one timers in my opinion. It doesn't build anything long term. The key to success is quality value...if you can provide that then sales will come.

    And I know exactly what you mean..I can barely afford aweber myself at the moment haha..but that will definitely be changing soon. What you can do is take the $1 trial that they have...and then do enough freelancing stuff over the month to be able to pay for it for the following month ($20 worth of freelancing isn't difficult).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by Gclunis View Post

      blogs that simply pitch a product are either a part of a bigger funnel..or just one timers in my opinion. It doesn't build anything long term. The key to success is quality value...if you can provide that then sales will come.

      And I know exactly what you mean..I can barely afford aweber myself at the moment haha..but that will definitely be changing soon. What you can do is take the $1 trial that they have...and then do enough freelancing stuff over the month to be able to pay for it for the following month ($20 worth of freelancing isn't difficult).
      Thanks for another great idea.... I have never done any freelancing .... partly because I dont know exactly what type of freelancing suits me best...and I am a little scared to put myself out there without having done it before ...but i should defiantly look into it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443614].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rich Struck
    To me it looks a little generic but it's not ugly or anything... I think you need to be more aggressive about the ads. It's a good start.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443611].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by Rich Struck View Post

      To me it looks a little generic but it's not ugly or anything... I think you need to be more aggressive about the ads. It's a good start.
      Hey thanks for the input...tell me when you say be more agressive with ads are you talking about putting more of them ..such as banners ...

      or are you talking about making a more obvious pitch ...such as " this product is highly recommended as it is what helped me to become a dog training pro?

      thanks for the review
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443617].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bretski
        Originally Posted by helicopterplt View Post

        or are you talking about making a more obvious pitch ...such as " this product is highly recommended as it is what helped me to become a dog training pro?
        But are you a professional? Is this what you do for a living is training dogs? I am asking as a former professional dog handler...
        Signature
        ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
        Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443683].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
          Originally Posted by bretski View Post

          But are you a professional? Is this what you do for a living is training dogs? I am asking as a former professional dog handler...

          Lol good question ... No I am not a "pro" I have trained a few dogs for some friends and MANY of my own ..but this isnt really how i make a living ...just had alot of experience with animals growing up in the country so I thought Id share it ...
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443693].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
          I can't see that it matters whether he is a professional or not. My husband is a steelworker, but he's magic with dogs, (He even had our cat trained) As long as he know's what he's doing, then he should be fine.

          Originally Posted by bretski View Post

          But are you a professional? Is this what you do for a living is training dogs? I am asking as a former professional dog handler...
          Personally speaking I love your site, its's sticky, which means I actually stayed on it and read some of your posts. (I even clicked a link because it was interesting).

          I wouldn't go for a load of banners n stuff, it will spoil what is essentially a nice looking site. I would also leave your headline in blue, I agree that it goes with the header etc.

          What you probably need to concentrate on now is getting plenty of backlinks to give your site some authority, good luck with it

          Kim
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443977].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
            Originally Posted by Kim Standerline View Post

            I can't see that it matters whether he is a professional or not. My husband is a steelworker, but he's magic with dogs, (He even had our cat trained) As long as he know's what he's doing, then he should be fine.



            Personally speaking I love your site, its's sticky, which means I actually stayed on it and read some of your posts. (I even clicked a link because it was interesting).

            I wouldn't go for a load of banners n stuff, it will spoil what is essentially a nice looking site. I would also leave your headline in blue, I agree that it goes with the header etc.

            What you probably need to concentrate on now is getting plenty of backlinks to give your site some authority, good luck with it

            Kim
            Hey Kim ...Thanks for you post ...and the complements on the website ...it excites me to hear you say u love it ...and I am so happy you found it "sticky" ...(its funny things sticky on the web are great ...in the real world sticky things ..not so great lol )
            Thanks again for the review
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443986].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gclunis
    Thats the beauty of freelancing..you can do anything haha. Virtually everything and anything is sellable. For example..I am doing freelancing in graphic design right now....hte catch? I have ZERO graphic design talent haha. So what do I have? Management talent...you can freelancing in anything if you talk to the right people and are able to manage the entire thing.

    Simply talk to someone with a talent in the field (I have 3 contractors working for me)...get a client to make an order...send the order to your contractor..receive the completed order back...send the completed order to client..receive payment...send contractor their percentage. I am working on a 75/25 split so that my contractors feel that they are getting a good amount of money for their work..and I am making 25% on 100+ dollar orders just to facilitate the entire thing.

    Freelancing really is not as difficult as it seems if you get a little creative.

    Also after looking at your site again I have to agree with the other comments here. A banner ad at the side and maybe one under the header would definitely be more attention grabbing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443622].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by Gclunis View Post

      Thats the beauty of freelancing..you can do anything haha. Virtually everything and anything is sellable. For example..I am doing freelancing in graphic design right now....hte catch? I have ZERO graphic design talent haha. So what do I have? Management talent...you can freelancing in anything if you talk to the right people and are able to manage the entire thing.

      Simply talk to someone with a talent in the field (I have 3 contractors working for me)...get a client to make an order...send the order to your contractor..receive the completed order back...send the completed order to client..receive payment...send contractor their percentage. I am working on a 75/25 split so that my contractors feel that they are getting a good amount of money for their work..and I am making 25% on 100+ dollar orders just to facilitate the entire thing.

      Freelancing really is not as difficult as it seems if you get a little creative.

      Also after looking at your site again I have to agree with the other comments here. A banner ad at the side and maybe one under the header would definitely be more attention grabbing.
      wow, ..that is great advice ... 25% is awesome just for making the connection between those needing service and those supplying it ...I like the way you think ..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443638].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MarketAbel
        Originally Posted by helicopterplt View Post

        wow, ..that is great advice ... 25% is awesome just for making the connection between those needing service and those supplying it ...I like the way you think ..
        I have made contacts with two web developers in my local area that are willing to give me 20% commission on any new business I give them. Pretty cut and dry. Go find a small business that can really benefit from a new or newly redone website and you are probably looking at 20% on $500-$1,000.
        Signature
        Abel B Ramirez II - Internet Marketing 'NooRu'!!
        Goal for 2013: Complete an eBook, a Video/Podcast series and begin creating a full fledged online training course.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443834].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gclunis
    You could also put the "more" tags on your posts so that people have to click "see more" to read the entire post.

    This will make it easier to scroll on the home page without it getting too long...and it will allow them to read their post on its own page..in other words..it will be less distracting than reading the entire post on the home page..which will help out with your links at the bottom of posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CJ.Online
    If I were you, I'd go with red text as opposed to blue. It's better at grabbing attention.
    Signature
    Two teens made 129K IN 8 MONTHS, and now you can! I put together THE 7 DAY SECRET that shows you EXACTLY how they made their fortune. I'ts free and the system is solid! Check out THE 7 DAY SECRET.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443639].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spock0149
    One comment I'd like to make. An example of one of your sales pages begins with '...some collars that I would recommend'. You then go on to list 8 different collars.

    My question would be, 'why are you recommending them?'

    Probably a page that gave individual collar reviews with things like value for money, looks, comfort, is going to engage the viewer more and entice them to purchase the product. Especially if you compare, say, all 8, then come up with a favourite!

    Rate each thing you're peddling - give it a 'star', like 8/10 stars. Actually show the stars and have an option 'sort by price', sort by rating.

    Help your visitor make the decision.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443661].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by spock0149 View Post

      One comment I'd like to make. An example of one of your sales pages begins with '...some collars that I would recommend'. You then go on to list 8 different collars.

      My question would be, 'why are you recommending them?'

      Probably a page that gave individual collar reviews with things like value for money, looks, comfort, is going to engage the viewer more and entice them to purchase the product. Especially if you compare, say, all 8, then come up with a favourite!

      Rate each thing you're peddling - give it a 'star', like 8/10 stars. Actually show the stars and have an option 'sort by price', sort by rating.

      Help your visitor make the decision.

      Good luck!
      Thats a good point you make....the reason i did it the way i did was because i talked about my recommendation criteria in the post that contained a link to the collars page...I guess i didnt think about them just going straight to that page without reading the post ...Thanks for the input ill try to change that up somehow ..as for searching by price or stars... not sure I know how to do that ...any recommendations as to where i can find information on this?

      Thanks for the advice
      chad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derwin
    I have seen your blog in you last post as you requested us. It is good looking eye catching blog. There is no doubt. I want to say that you should give some extra attention to your blog. Write the posts in well format, avoid grammar spelling mistakes. You can earn money greater in this way if you maintain quality content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abednego
    The dog in the banner looks sad
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2443988].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarketAbel
    I was liking the way you have been working on that header over the last few days. I just now realized however, that this latest version has the text a part of the image.

    A good SEO tactic is to make sure all text is index-able. Try keeping your image for the header minus the letters. Then insert the text on top of the image using CSS or a table, whichever is easiest for you.
    Signature
    Abel B Ramirez II - Internet Marketing 'NooRu'!!
    Goal for 2013: Complete an eBook, a Video/Podcast series and begin creating a full fledged online training course.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2444010].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by MarketAbel View Post

      I was liking the way you have been working on that header over the last few days. I just now realized however, that this latest version has the text a part of the image.

      A good SEO tactic is to make sure all text is index-able. Try keeping your image for the header minus the letters. Then insert the text on top of the image using CSS or a table, whichever is easiest for you.

      Hey thanks for that advice...I was told that there was a plugin i could use that would give me the SEO advantage of having a typed text header...but that would hide it so the text could be embedded in the image ...

      If anyone has any info on it let me know ...

      I agree with you though...this seems to be a big thing For seo ..I am just learning wordpress ... so Im not great at changing colors and getting things positioned where i want them yet ...but i will work on it
      thanks for the review
      chad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2444021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2444064].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kim Standerline
      What she said lol

      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      And I think you're doing that, and doing it well.

      One never knows for sure, but my feeling here is that you're going to make fewer sales by trying harder, not more.

      You have a friendly, honest tone at the moment, and it would be very easy to lose that.

      I like the clean layout and appearance. I think that the paragraph of text next to the top picture shouldn't be centered, though: that looks out-of-place with the rest of the text being left-aligned.

      You do need to do a spelling and grammar check, but these things are less important for this kind of "non-hypey" site than for some others, I think.

      Don't change the blue sub-heading text to red: this is the one thing I'm pretty sure would really be a mistake: the site's virtue is that it doesn't look like a "sales page"! (Also, the few people who do proper split-testing, even of professionally written sales pages, rather than making the mistake of depending on widespread myths, often find that blue converts better than red anyway: this silly idea that red instills a sense of urgency that necessarily "converts better" is one of the many urban myths of internet marketing, very widely repeated and misapplied - certainly one to avoid, in this context, I'd say). Good luck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2444198].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

      And I think you're doing that, and doing it well.

      One never knows for sure, but my feeling here is that you're going to make fewer sales by trying harder, not more.

      You have a friendly, honest tone at the moment, and it would be very easy to lose that.

      I like the clean layout and appearance. I think that the paragraph of text next to the top picture shouldn't be centered, though: that looks out-of-place with the rest of the text being left-aligned.

      You do need to do a spelling and grammar check, but these things are less important for this kind of "non-hypey" site than for some others, I think.

      Don't change the blue sub-heading text to red: this is the one thing I'm pretty sure would really be a mistake: the site's virtue is that it doesn't look like a "sales page"! (Also, the few people who do proper split-testing, even of professionally written sales pages, rather than making the mistake of depending on widespread myths, often find that blue converts better than red anyway: this silly idea that red instills a sense of urgency that necessarily "converts better" is one of the many urban myths of internet marketing, very widely repeated and misapplied - certainly one to avoid, in this context, I'd say). Good luck!
      Hey ...thank you so much for taking a look at the site .... Im glad you brought the text that was centered...I did that while trying to figure out how to get the text to wrap around the picture ...since then I have figured out how to do it without the center off ..so i fixed it

      thanks for your post
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    Yeah - what Alexa said!

    I like your site the way it is - it looks like it was done by a regular guy that likes dogs. It automatically instills a degree of trust because people can identify with you. Plus, you do a good job preselling.

    I have a few sites in the dog niche (love dogs myself and just adopted a chihuahua mix at the local shelter) It is competitive but the good news is that it is also HUGE with tons of people searching every day and plenty of good keywords still left to be found.

    Stick with it and you will make money.

    When you get ready to have an autoresponder, think about making a killer one time offer of some sort of training report after they opt in. You can get good PLR reports and ebooks on dog training. Don't feel like you have to rush into this though - I know it can be overwhelming to have to get up to speed on this stuff all right away.

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2444272].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author helicopterplt
      Originally Posted by cashcow View Post

      Yeah - what Alexa said!

      I like your site the way it is - it looks like it was done by a regular guy that likes dogs. It automatically instills a degree of trust because people can identify with you. Plus, you do a good job preselling.

      I have a few sites in the dog niche (love dogs myself and just adopted a chihuahua mix at the local shelter) It is competitive but the good news is that it is also HUGE with tons of people searching every day and plenty of good keywords still left to be found.

      Stick with it and you will make money.

      When you get ready to have an autoresponder, think about making a killer one time offer of some sort of training report after they opt in. You can get good PLR reports and ebooks on dog training. Don't feel like you have to rush into this though - I know it can be overwhelming to have to get up to speed on this stuff all right away.

      Lee
      Hey cashcow ..congratulations on adopting a new member of the family...Hope that the new doggie fits in nicely ...

      Thank you for taking a look at the site...I understand this niche is very competitive...maybe not a good start for a beginner huh ? ...But ill keep at it and see what happens ...thanks for the complements and the review
      chad
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445184].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OnlineInnovations
    I like it! You are competing in a competitive niche but your content is good, you may need to take a look at some of the grammar and spelling in some posts but apart from that, stick with it! Im sure you will make money with this blog, I found myself reading your posts and actually reading it instead of scanning it. Keep writing content like that and you'll be fine!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    maybe not a good start for a beginner huh ?
    In your case I think it is good because I can tell you aren't expecting money to come spewing out of your computer overnight. It seems you have the right mindset to stick with it and you'll see the money soon enough, I think!

    My little Chi is a sweety - although I did find out that she doesn't like little kids, unfortunately I found it out at my 6 year old nieces birthday party Other than that she's pretty good.
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dasilvad14
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Searchedterms
    If you are looking for a free auto responder like aweber to build your list ,check out the link in my signature .I am using this service and it works like aweber and plus its absolutely free.
    All the best !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2445558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aaarrrggghhh
    First off, great job and getting your site up and running! Second, great job on the domain name too

    Dog training is a great niche to be in and there are LOTS of keywords you can easily rank for, just think of specific problems people encounter with dogs as they will be searching for those specific solutions. Think of alternative keywords, such as 'obedience' vs. 'training'. Think of specific problems with specific breeds too. Oh, and Adsense pays well for these keywords too!

    If you do not have the funds for an email management, go set-up your feedburner account and use their free email capture form. When you are ready, you can export your subscribers at that time. Super simple solution and now you have no excuse not to start your subscription list...this is a MUST...don't waste ANY of your traffic by not having that subscription box up front.

    Great job and just keep it going...you don't need a large site, just a quality site with keywords that you can rank for.

    Will it make money? Informational sites can be harder to convert if they arrived looking for general information vs. 'buy' keywords or even 'review' keywords. But if your ads offer a solution to a searched for problem, your ads should convert.

    Best way is to just test and monitor EVERYTHING. Make only 1 change at a time and monitor it. Make another change and monitor it. See what your traffic is doing. Since you are using WordPress, you can monitor everything very easily.

    Great job and keep it going! Leah
    Signature
    "What Can The Source Publishing Do For My Business?"
    We Grow Your Business On-Line
    >> TheSourcePublishing.com <<

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2496752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
    Ranking for simple dog training is more a keyword that you should be using to sell something rather than freely give content and I advise against that niche vehemently.

    Also that niche won't get many links nor interest from a huge audience.

    You need to pick a niche that people are tweeting about, Facebook'ing about and so on.

    Good luck
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2496863].message }}

Trending Topics