Your frustration with Article Marketing? How you solved it?

33 replies
Hey,

Article marketing is a great tool to generate qualified traffic when done correctly.

But it can be also frustrating sometimes...

What problems have you faced (or are you still facing...) when it comes to articles marketing? Also share what has been for you the best tip/strategy you have ever used when it comes to article marketing.

I'm starting...

My biggest frustration: getting loads of views and very few clicks Seriously, really pissed me off at the time...

Best tip I ever received: focus ALL my articles to the same opt-in page and not spreading my effort on multiple niche or website. This focus has made a HUGE difference for me.

It's your turn now

Ryan
#article #frustration #marketing #solved
  • Profile picture of the author burtonridr2
    I had your same frustration, and I found that adding "to learn more about.... click here" or "click here to view this authors blog" at the bottom of every article, made a massive difference.
    Signature
    TIRED of the high cost of medical?

    We can help you SAVE up to 80% on Dental, Prescription, Chiropractic, and Vision for as low as $19.95/mo, Doctor Savings Club
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2453914].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J Bold
    SuperRyan, I think that's a good idea, because you build a list you can market to over and over again.

    Others may disagree, however, but it's certainly one strategy you could use to shake things up if article marketing isn't going your way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454303].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petelta
    Originally Posted by SuperRyan View Post


    My biggest frustration: getting loads of views and very few clicks Seriously, really pissed me off at the time...
    Keep working on your resource box. Try using 3-5 different calls to action and see what works the best.

    You have the headlines down if you are getting a lot of views. The problem either lies within the body or the resource box.
    Signature
    TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
    Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454343].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454369].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rikki_Fawkes
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        My biggest frustration was having a high CTR but not nearly as many sales as I wanted.

        I solved it with the realization that I was attracting the wrong sort of traffic, and made big changes in the style of articles I was using - in all the niches in which I'm involved. To cut a long story short, the outcome was that my average CTR halved but my sales increased very nicely.

        It makes me wince a bit, every time I see threads here (or elsewhere) in which people purporting to advise others about article marketing are clearly doing so on the (usually unspoken) assumption that anything that increases your CTR is necessarily going to be advantageous - because it's just nonsense.
        Yeah - I've gotten high CTR on some articles with very little follow-up. Usually just curiosity clicks or people checking out the competition.
        Signature

        Learn how you can get paid writing online with NO startup money! I will help you make part-time or full-time income as a freelance writer at http://getpaidwriting.org. No previous writing experience necessary!


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454410].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author inter123
          I am doing article marketing for backlink SEO purposes. There are tonnes of article directories out there which is fantastic. The unfortunate thing is with the lesser article directories, most of the articles do not get indexed by google.
          There seems perhaps 20 or so that gets picked up very easily by google but with the rest, its a bit of a slog. And on top of that I am not sure exactly how worthwhile backlinks from article directories are from a SEO perspective. I am coming to the conclusion, they help where there is little number of other people to battle with but with competetive keywords, it does not help a great deal.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454469].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Loren Woirhaye
          Getting clicks is easy. You develop a formula for the article, from title
          to resource box, and follow it every time.

          Writing the same article over and over again is boring though - you'll
          be tempted to stray from the formula of offering instant, easy
          success or victory over and over again. You'll try to stop
          promising effortless traffic, avalanches of leads, miraculous weight
          loss, et. al. - and, remember, the offer at the end must be for
          a miracle and the miracle must be nearly free (in exchange for
          an email anyway).

          Anytime I want I can write and article that gets a click-through
          rate over 20% on the subject of traffic. I developed the template -
          what to say and when to say it. I get bored of course, so I don't
          keep up with repeating myself, but I am convinced that if you
          want to drive traffic with articles, writing to the obvious hot buttons
          in your market, with relatively hypey language, and offering a near-
          miraculous free solution in the form of a report is the way to do it.

          Details of the method are, of course, included in my free report.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2454495].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post


        It makes me wince a bit, every time I see threads here (or elsewhere) in which people purporting to advise others about article marketing are clearly doing so on the (usually unspoken) assumption that anything that increases your CTR is necessarily going to be advantageous - because it's just nonsense.
        I think most of those people make that assumption as a secondary one based on a fundamental assumption that the person they're giving advice to is already targeting the "buyer keywords" and the "buyer reader group", though I may be wrong because all hasty generalizations are most likely false, including this one and that one.

        Hmmm... My frustration with article marketing... There's a lot of bad article content out there, more than enough to pollute the Internet? Solution: Not contribute to that type of Internet pollution by considering article marketing campaigns as softsell content marketing campaigns for funneling targeted buyer traffic from that page to my onsite page and building my brand as a friendly expert source of useful, updated and relevant content, instead of using article marketing campaigns as a means to just build backlinks for the sole purpose of improving the Google PR of my domain and pages, which could or could not be related, directly or indirectly, to the search engine rankings of my pages for my target keywords.
        Signature

        Hire Us to Get More Targeted Traffic & Sales in Tech, Business & Digital Marketing Niches — Text Chat with Me in Skype HERE
        I'm a Digital Marketing Consultant, Startup Entrepreneur, Content Writer & AI / ML / DL Developer — BBC Business News Interview & VIsION, Wearable AI Device for the Blind

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2610690].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        My biggest frustration was having a high CTR but not nearly as many sales as I wanted.

        I solved it with the realization that I was attracting the wrong sort of traffic, and made big changes in the style of articles I was using - in all the niches in which I'm involved. To cut a long story short, the outcome was that my average CTR halved but my sales increased very nicely.

        It makes me wince a bit, every time I see threads here (or elsewhere) in which people purporting to advise others about article marketing are clearly doing so on the (usually unspoken) assumption that anything that increases your CTR is necessarily going to be advantageous - because it's just nonsense.
        Excuse me, but can you not be so amazingly intelligent and stunningly beautiful.

        Kind regards,
        John
        Signature

        BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2610705].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
          Originally Posted by odlanor9 View Post

          80% of your traffic will come from 20% of your articles. The trick is to know which articles produce the most traffic.
          I'll bet if you find more places to put your articles, sites which are relevant to your audience, you will discover 80% of your traffic comes from 20% of the sites you submit to, also.


          Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

          Excuse me, but can you not be so amazingly intelligent and stunningly beautiful.
          John, hasn't Alexa sent you her real picture? She is actually a 70 year old cross dresser.
          Signature
          Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611269].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
          Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post

          Excuse me, but can you not be so amazingly intelligent and stunningly beautiful.

          Kind regards,
          John
          I hope you're not in the dating advice niche!

          "They All Laughed When I Gave Her Loads of Compliments ... But When She Told Me to F--- OFF!
          "

          Just teasing dude, get a proper girlfriend to calm those hormones down
          Signature
          'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611857].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jamespitt
      Very interesting ideas here... keep it coming. Good to learn from other warriors.

      James
      Signature

      Get your totally free outsourcing guide here..

      Send me a PM if you want to hire top-calibre outsourced staff.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2605995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SuperRyan
    Another point is to always link your article to opt-in pages. I use articles for LIST-BUILDING not making sales. But it' just me...

    Ryan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2456960].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SuperRyan
      Originally Posted by SuperRyan View Post

      Another point is to always link your article to opt-in pages. I use articles for LIST-BUILDING not making sales. But it' just me...

      Ryan
      And even few opt-ins per day actually give you a sense of accomplishement that keep you motivated as you see some results which was another frustrations for me before: not seeing tangible results from my articles marketing...

      Ryan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2456970].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dbarnum
        Coming up with new article topics that haven't been covered yet by someone else - - that can be tough.

        Solution: tackle old topics with a new twist and / or break them down into smaller bites.

        Example:

        "10 Ways to _____ "

        becomes:

        "Best Way to _____ "
        "3 Popular Ways to ____ "


        ...and insert new resources, advice, quotes, etc.
        Signature
        Get customized help:100+ Ways / Support / Warrior4Hire Specials!



        Save & Share: Best Buys / Top Tasks / blog / MAP / Recurring $
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2457003].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SuperRyan
          Originally Posted by dbarnum View Post

          Coming up with new article topics that haven't been covered yet by someone else - - that can be tough.

          Solution: tackle old topics with a new twist and / or break them down into smaller bites.

          Example:

          "10 Ways to _____ "

          becomes:

          "Best Way to _____ "
          "3 Popular Ways to ____ "


          ...and insert new resources, advice, quotes, etc.
          Awesome tip!!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460152].message }}
  • Focus and direction are important. Good CTR is nice and all, but increasing revenue is all about WHY people are clicking through. Remember that your ultimate goal is to increase revenue not just increase CTR.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2457295].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author odlanor9
    As with anything else in your marketing business - the 80/20 rule applies.

    80% of your traffic will come from 20% of your articles. The trick is to know which articles produce the most traffic.

    Some of my best articles were ones I thought were "scrappy" and vice versa.

    It comes down to knowing what your audience wants and giving it to them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2457316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamian
    With article marketing you just need to keep writing, more you write more methods and tricks you learn along. Best Of Luck!
    Signature
    Affiliate Marketing explained for beginners >>
    www.SuperAffiliateMarketingTrick.com <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2457340].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marhelper
    Not getting enough traffic. I solved this problem when I learned how to do KW research the RIGHT way.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2457361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Originally Posted by SuperRyan View Post

    My biggest frustration: getting loads of views and very few clicks Seriously, really pissed me off at the time...
    There are two reasons why you would get views and no clicks, and both can be fixed...

    1. The article did not hold the attention of the reader to the end of the article; and

    2. The article resource box did not make a strong case for visiting your website... The resource box should force the reader to WANT to click your link...

    If either variable fails to deliver on its purpose, then your article will fail to deliver the all-important click-through traffic...

    Poor conversion ratios can always be fixed with tweaking, testing, and tracking results... You will get the hang of it, given enough practice and attention to detail...
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dika
    Consider a frequency of writing and don't give up. Your site must look alive. otherwise you'll lost visitors and ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460335].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vishal Mahadik
    Ryan is really making the most use of article marketing strategy by building his list.

    In my opinion also, one should focus on building a list with article marketing. Because once a reader leaves your website then there is no chance you get him back again. Capturing his/her name and email can give you many other chances to interact with him/her and build a valuable relationship through autoresponder series.

    But you can not make a long lasting relationship with your subscribers without strong, value added content. So we also need to focus on building valuable autoresponder content. Once you achieve this then you can easily achieve your income target within few months.

    Instead of building someone's business, we can build our own using List Building. So why waste writing articles only for promoting affiliate products. Making optin page as a landing page for all of your article marketing efforts is one of wisest online marketing strategy which actually very few implement in their business.

    Once you build a sizeable list then you will not depend on getting continuous traffic through your article marketing efforts. So my suggestion is to focus on building your list from the beginning of your article marketing business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460700].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SuperRyan
      Originally Posted by im2010 View Post

      Ryan is really making the most use of article marketing strategy by building his list.

      In my opinion also, one should focus on building a list with article marketing. Because once a reader leaves your website then there is no chance you get him back again. Capturing his/her name and email can give you many other chances to interact with him/her and build a valuable relationship through autoresponder series.

      But you can not make a long lasting relationship with your subscribers without strong, value added content. So we also need to focus on building valuable autoresponder content. Once you achieve this then you can easily achieve your income target within few months.

      Instead of building someone's business, we can build our own using List Building. So why waste writing articles only for promoting affiliate products. Making optin page as a landing page for all of your article marketing efforts is one of wisest online marketing strategy which actually very few implement in their business.

      Once you build a sizeable list then you will not depend on getting continuous traffic through your article marketing efforts. So my suggestion is to focus on building your list from the beginning of your article marketing business.
      I really can't stress that enough: your article should link to a converting opt-in page! Not your blog, website or an affiliate offer!

      You multiplying the value of your articles by doing so!

      Ryan
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2466387].message }}
  • I have learned that I must tease my audience or almost pre-sell them in the last sentence of my article and make my bio box almost blend into that. Gets me 40-50% CTR.
    Signature
    Reserved for TheAnnoyingOrange
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caiden
    Focusing on one product/squeeze is a good idea if you already know the niche/product converts well. Otherwise you should be testing multiple niche/products at tyeh same time with your article marketing before committing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2460827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    I solved my frustration with article marketing by clicking here (not an affiliate).

    You will find this in George Wrights sig link... Im not an affiliate, dont make any money on this, but Im telling you it will solve your frustration with article writing, and make you look forward to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2602837].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Britt Malka
    Hi Ryan,

    If you want more people to click, make sure that you don't have a conclusion in your article.

    Your article should build up to a climax that is not even reached in the resource box, but only on the site you link to.

    This is an act of balance, because you have to fulfil the promise you make in your headline within your article, without telling everything, and thus making people want to go to your site to learn more.
    Signature
    *** Idea Factory ***
    9 Simple & Fun Ways to Come Up With Ideas for Non-Fiction Books

    >>> Click here to get immediate access <<<

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2609399].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SuperRyan
      Originally Posted by Britt Malka View Post

      Hi Ryan,

      If you want more people to click, make sure that you don't have a conclusion in your article.

      Your article should build up to a climax that is not even reached in the resource box, but only on the site you link to.

      This is an act of balance, because you have to fulfil the promise you make in your headline within your article, without telling everything, and thus making people want to go to your site to learn more.
      Thanks! I LOVE this thred. Please guys keep posting your questions about article marketing, we will do our best to answer them!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2610240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justin W
    I love the idea of using articles to build your list. I honestly have never tried that, I usually use articles for backlink purposes.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2610703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rzillowman
    One of the biggest problems I've had is just finding quality article directories.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611870].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author adionline
      I just recently got into article marketing, I swear I've done everything but this method.

      Anywho, I initially had a batch of articles written for a blog that I self hosted. The blog didn't work out and I eventually took it down. I decided to throw some of the articles on a directory site and within a day of being a approved I had 12 clicks to the link in the author box... Yea, it doesn't sound like much but to me that's awesome for only being up for a day on one directory site. Of course these articles where optimized for SEO with titles that targeted low hanging fruit (low competition, but with steady monthly searches), my author box had a strong call-to-action as well. Needless to say I am a bit more excited about article marketing than ever before.
      Signature
      Giving up is not an option.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2611933].message }}

Trending Topics