Which is right? Market Samurai or Google Keywords?

by Jeremy James 21 replies
Hey guys,

I am about to buy a domain name...but, I was researching on the right one to get.

According to Google Keyword Search, there are 27,000 monthly searches for this keyword. According to Market Samuray, there are 5.

How do I tell the right one?

Jeremy
#main internet marketing discussion forum #google #keywords #market #samurai
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Hi Jeremy,

    just listened to a video by an SEO expert and he is saying the domain name should be all on word and .org will do better than .com

    I have always used Google's Keyword tool for my analysis. I use a range of stuff to get traffic so I am no SEO officianado!

    When you entered your keyword in the keyword tool, did you enclose it in "......." you probaly know this refines the search a lot.

    One last thing - the Keyword tool is free. I prioritse very carefully what and where I invest in my business.

    Hope this helps.

    P.S. put a link in your signature to make it easy for people to take advantage of your service
    Signature

    AND there's no such thing as a free lunch!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479516].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tpw
      Originally Posted by Michael Field-Dodgson View Post

      just listened to a video by an SEO expert and he is saying the domain name should be all on word and .org will do better than .com
      Have you ever considered that most SEO Experts are just guessing or simply full or crap?

      It is true...

      The only thing that you can know for sure is what you test for yourself...

      I have a dot com's and dot org's on same phrases, and .com smokes .org.

      And using your target keyword in the domain is also no guarantee of success...

      I participated in an seo contest in 2006... The guy who bought the domain with the target phrase figured he would win hands down... He held the top spot for two weeks, and then the people who really knew something smoked his ass... He fell from page one to page two to page three, then disappeared from the results completely...

      I have thousands of pages in Google page one... Yet, I can promise you that I will never throw the tag SEO Expert behind my name... SEO is forever changing... What worked last year may not work this year, or even two weeks from now... The skill of a SEO Professional can be measured only by the quality and variety of his testing, tracking and measuring outcomes...

      If your SEO Expert does not test, then he falls into the most category: just guessing or simply full or crap...
      Signature
      Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
      Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479630].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
        Originally Posted by tpw View Post

        Have you ever considered that most SEO Experts are just guessing or simply full or crap?

        It is true...

        The only thing that you can know for sure is what you test for yourself...

        I have a dot com's and dot org's on same phrases, and .com smokes .org.

        And using your target keyword in the domain is also no guarantee of success...

        I participated in an seo contest in 2006... The guy who bought the domain with the target phrase figured he would win hands down... He held the top spot for two weeks, and then the people who really knew something smoked his ass... He fell from page one to page two to page three, then disappeared from the results completely...

        I have thousands of pages in Google page one... Yet, I can promise you that I will never throw the tag SEO Expert behind my name... SEO is forever changing... What worked last year may not work this year, or even two weeks from now... The skill of a SEO Professional can be measured only by the quality and variety of his testing, tracking and measuring outcomes...

        If your SEO Expert does not test, then he falls into the most category: just guessing or simply full or crap...
        I am not the expert, but I will throw this in. I suspect that a poor website (in Google's eyes) with the keyword in the domain name will not outrank a wonderful site with a different domain name, or TLD, if it is the same.
        That being said, I very rarely see .info or .org on the front page of Google when I do searches. The overwhelming majority are .com unless you are looking for churches or church organizations or the like.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479842].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author tpw
          Originally Posted by N4PGW View Post

          I am not the expert, but I will throw this in. I suspect that a poor website (in Google's eyes) with the keyword in the domain name will not outrank a wonderful site with a different domain name, or TLD, if it is the same.

          That being said, I very rarely see .info or .org on the front page of Google when I do searches. The overwhelming majority are .com unless you are looking for churches or church organizations or the like.
          I have heard that .info's are considered spam TLDs and Google ignores them... However, with that having been said, I have never purchased a .info, so my testing on the subject is nil... LOL
          Signature
          Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
          Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479859].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
            Originally Posted by tpw View Post

            I have heard that .info's are considered spam TLDs and Google ignores them... However, with that having been said, I have never purchased a .info, so my testing on the subject is nil... LOL
            When I did a search on "swampfox" with the first page set at 100 results, I got one .ws (top billing), one .org, and one .info with the rest being .com.

            There is something else to consider, and that is marketing strategies. If your site is marketed with PPC, Affiliate links, Twitter, FB and other web 2.0 sites, or through your mailing list, then the google ranking is irrelevant. Not that it isn't good to be on page 1, but not all sites are captitalized in that way.

            Buck
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479878].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WilliamBerg
            .info being punished is a myth. I have done a lot of tests for it. The reason people think so is because a lot of people buy them because they are cheap and than don´t give them much attention. They build 5 .info instead of 1 .com and then don´t have the time to SEO properly. (of course it must be .info that is devalued and it can´t be their fault). I have ranked a lot of .info as #1 in google for rather competetiv keywords. Also a lot of beginners want to start out cheap and than when they fail it is comforting to hear that it is due to the domain.

            That said I don´t use them much as it has a negative effect on the value if I ever want to sell a site.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479893].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author tpw
              Originally Posted by WilliamBerg View Post

              .info being punished is a myth. I have done a lot of tests for it. The reason people think so is because a lot of people buy them because they are cheap and than don´t give them much attention. They build 5 .info instead of 1 .com and then don´t have the time to SEO properly. (of course it must be .info that is devalued and it can´t be their fault). I have ranked a lot of .info as #1 in google for rather competetiv keywords. Also a lot of beginners want to start out cheap and than when they fail it is comforting to hear that it is due to the domain.

              That said I don´t use them much as it has a negative effect on the value if I ever want to sell a site.
              Thank you for the valid testing results against this question. I love hearing from people that have said, "I tested it, and this is what I got in return..."
              Signature
              Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
              Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2480213].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
      Originally Posted by Michael Field-Dodgson View Post

      Hi Jeremy,

      just listened to a video by an SEO expert and he is saying the domain name should be all on word and .org will do better than .com


      One more note on this. I have probably seen as many books and videos as anyone here. Here is something I have observed. Different experts have different results in everything they do. One gets great results with .info, one gets it with .com, another gets it with the KW domain name, another gets it in the subdomain.

      The real question is this, who is actually getting the best results possible? You can't really know. Each one improved their results to the point where he currently is, so that is the best results they have achieved. The only thing any expert can tell you is what they believe gave them the best results they received. You can't know if another expert's 'best' is actually better than the other until you test them side by side.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wells
    Originally Posted by Jeremy James View Post

    Hey guys,

    I am about to buy a domain name...but, I was researching on the right one to get.

    According to Google Keyword Search, there are 27,000 monthly searches for this keyword. According to Market Samuray, there are 5.

    How do I tell the right one?

    Jeremy
    I would trust Market Samurai for more detailed research...

    Mainly because it breaks your searches down into Broad, Phrase and Exact keyword matches.

    I am not what google uses as a display, Broad, Phrase, Exact.

    Market samurai give daily hits and google gives monthly I think.

    Either way Market Samurai draws from Googles information but breaks it down in many different ways....

    If I am wrong please someone correct me.........
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479525].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
      Originally Posted by EWGQDD View Post

      I would trust Market Samurai for more detailed research...

      Mainly because it breaks your searches down into Broad, Phrase and Exact keyword matches.

      I am not what google uses as a display, Broad, Phrase, Exact.

      Market samurai give daily hits and google gives monthly I think.

      Either way Market Samurai draws from Googles information but breaks it down in many different ways....

      If I am wrong please someone correct me.........
      Google has the same three break downs.

      Buck
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479827].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesus Perez
    Create a campaign on Adwords and write a terrible ad with a $999 pitch in the description so no one clicks.

    Then you'll know your answer for $10 or so.
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    I would side on a third choice, Both are wrong!

    Market Samuri is guessing according to what their tracking tools are suggesting... And Google is notorious for only sharing part of the story...
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2479601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matthew Duggan
    Wayne makes a good point above. There are plenty of ways to be successful in a niche. If your keyword gets a good number of searches on Google, check what the competition is like. And I don't just mean the advertiser competition that Google shows on their keyword tool.

    Try using the Keyword Spy add-on for Firefox: KeywordSpy

    It shows you the competition you'll be facing to rank for your keywords. I use it all the time and it cuts out a lot of the guess work that you could get caught up in when researching how well you can rank.

    Hope that helps.

    Matt
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2480799].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author terrapurus
    Originally Posted by Jeremy James View Post

    Hey guys,

    I am about to buy a domain name...but, I was researching on the right one to get.

    According to Google Keyword Search, there are 27,000 monthly searches for this keyword. According to Market Samuray, there are 5.

    How do I tell the right one?

    Jeremy

    Guess what? You are looking at the same data. Confused yet?

    Market Samuri does not collect its own data. It takes readily available data from different sources and presents it in one location for you. The accuracy of the data will depend on the accuracy of the data given by that particular Google data center at that moment.

    Market Samuri has some great training vids explaining this in far more detail than I could. Take a trip to the dojo to see the explanations.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2480924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author theemperor
    Originally Posted by Jeremy James View Post

    According to Google Keyword Search, there are 27,000 monthly searches for this keyword. According to Market Samuray, there are 5.
    Market Samurai deals in daily searchs not monthly - that would take the 27000 down to 900.

    You may be searching for broad match in Google and exact match in Samurai. This can explain the difference for poor keywords e.g. "Training Dog" where the order is incorrect.

    You may also be looking at SEOT (SEO Traffic) which is an estimate of the traffic to the number 1 spot in Google, and is lower than the total search count. This chops off about 60% I think.

    You may also have a different country filter set in Samurai so check that too. That would make a big difference.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2480951].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brettb
    tpw has got it right - both are wrong!

    Honestly, I've written 100 HubPages using Google/Market Samurai and I'm not that impressed with their traffic guestimations. They are good for keyword research, but the traffic you get is the subject of many factors.
    Signature
    Need LSI Keywords? Try the Niche Laboratory.
    Need Free Niche Research? Check out the Niche Keywords Finder.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2481191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fking
    i've found that MS shows 2-3 times more daily searches than the google tool itself, and since it's supposed to get its data from there, it's quite odd. Does anybody have idea why? Bug?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2570146].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author rts2271
      SEO Expert is like being a stand up philosopher or a military intelligence analyst.

      You have to use multiple tools and read between the lines.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2570594].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author morsh
        Originally Posted by rts2271 View Post

        SEO Expert is like being a stand up philosopher or a military intelligence analyst.

        You have to use multiple tools and read between the lines.
        well said there
        Signature
        You've read enough, now act!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571651].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fking
    well upon further research, i found many threads, including few here ( ops )
    the problem seems to be because google shows highly different data between the old and new keyword tool, since the last week or so.

    MS uses the old
    From what i read, the new one (with the few times less searches) is more accurate?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571626].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics