Back-Up Often. Here's Why!

9 replies
We all know the story:

"Do you back-up your sites often? You should, problems could arise fast..."

Well, today I logged in to one of my most precious sites and nada, niente!! All the posts and pages went missing. 2 years of hard work to garbage can and NOT A SINGLE back-up.

Luckily, Hostgator support was fantastic and they fixed the DB < the problem was with a *broken* DB, so it seems.

Lesson learned:

1) Installing WP DB Backup Plugin in ALL my sites. Takes 2 minutes to install.

2) Will Back-up ALL my sites (I do a lot of customizations) in a new external hard-drive. This takes a *bit* longer but it's a must to keep track of everything.

Don't fall for it like I did. Back-Up your sites, OFTEN!

Fernando
#backup
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
    Thanks for that Fernando and I must say I'm so glad there's a simple plug in, can you imagine the nightmare if hostgator hadn't helped you out. got the plug in already!
    Signature

    Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2481601].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author seoweb2000
      Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

      Thanks for that Fernando and I must say I'm so glad there's a simple plug in, can you imagine the nightmare if hostgator hadn't helped you out. got the plug in already!
      Love hostgator, they are the best in terms of support. I had a virus attack and they did everything to get my site back up and going.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    Thank goodness for Hostgator's backup ... they did that for me once too. Great customer support.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2481784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
      Originally Posted by Richard Van View Post

      Thanks for that Fernando and I must say I'm so glad there's a simple plug in, can you imagine the nightmare if hostgator hadn't helped you out. got the plug in already!
      That DB plug-in can save us from lot's of work IF something goes berserk. Besides, it's a 2 minute operation to plug it in on each site. Pretty fast!

      Originally Posted by persona_grata View Post

      Good advice indeed. I do think that anyone who is here right now should take note of backing up.
      People often think "I Have no problems... why back-up?". But when problems show up... you better have a full back-up in hand.

      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      Thank goodness for Hostgator's backup ... they did that for me once too. Great customer support.
      So true. They provide a good hosting service, for sure, but the live support it's really top notch. They saved my a** again.
      Signature
      People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482503].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author reapr
    Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

    We all know the story:

    "Do you back-up your sites often? You should, problems could arise fast..."

    Well, today I logged in to one of my most precious sites and nada, niente!! All the posts and pages went missing. 2 years of hard work to garbage can and NOT A SINGLE back-up.

    Luckily, Hostgator support was fantastic and they fixed the DB < the problem was with a *broken* DB, so it seems.

    Lesson learned:

    1) Installing WP DB Backup Plugin in ALL my sites. Takes 2 minutes to install.

    2) Will Back-up ALL my sites (I do a lot of customizations) in a new external hard-drive. This takes a *bit* longer but it's a must to keep track of everything.

    Don't fall for it like I did. Back-Up your sites, OFTEN!

    Fernando
    Great advice! Most people will not do it until it affects them!

    I know I was one of them ...

    Now I have a system in place.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482529].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PTaubman
    I certainly agree! That was one of the first plugins that I installed. I have a backup emailed to me EVERYDAY. It costs nothing to have a backup sent daily, so don't be cheap :-)

    I have heard people say, "I only need a weekly backup - I don't post that frequently." You configure the plug-in to how often you want the backup created - why not get it backed up daily? The ONLY disadvantage is that you get an email everyday.

    Personally, I would rather get the email and have a current backup, and just delete some emails once in a while, than to have a weekly back up and possibly lose 6 days of content.

    One last word on this... Having a back-up means NOTHING if you cannot restore it! At some point (sooner is better than later which is certainly better than when you absolutely need it) restore your database from a backup so you know how to do it.

    Thanks.
    Paul.
    Signature
    Fantastic WordPress Training!
    http://WPSiteHelp.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482530].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    For those with the daily back-up option and 200 + WP sites (like me), just send all the back-ups to a fresh Gmail account and buy some spare space if you need to.

    I bought 20 GB Gmail space from Google for $5.

    No excuses now.
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author billnad
    Thanks for the kick in the butt. I keep forgetting to put this on my list and I do just cringe if any of my sites go down for 10 minutes let alone trying to get them back after a server crash. With hosting being so cheap it is hard to say how much you can rely on the backup of the hosting company
    Signature

    Watch as some guy is Blogging for Cash, Me on Twitter

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482754].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author katiem2
    Thanks for the great information
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2482843].message }}

Trending Topics