Can someone explain why Facebook is on the decline?

111 replies
Hi Forum!

I'm new here, don't know anything, and am trying my darndest not to sound like an idiot.

I think this is a legitimate question, although I don't have a specific IM application; I am really just curious.

Someone wrote in another post that Facebook is on the decline. One reason cited was "recent actions of those in charge of the site" (paraphrase) and another reason was that it had reached its market saturation point, at least that is my understanding of his explanation.

Can anyone elaborate on these reasons, or give new reasons, for why Facebook is going away--or alternately, argue why it isn't in decline at all??

Enlighten me, please!

-kathryn
#decline #explain #facebook
  • Profile picture of the author rosetrees
    This is my personal opinion of Facebook - too public and too complicated to use and navigate. If it's declining, that would be my guess why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487046].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JonAlfredsson
      Indeed, facebook is a little complicated and do certainly agree that it could probably the reason why it is declining because it is too public.

      Originally Posted by rosetrees View Post

      This is my personal opinion of Facebook - too public and too complicated to use and navigate. If it's declining, that would be my guess why.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487066].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487050].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      So both of you are basically saying that people are just over it? That makes sense to me. I'm over it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487061].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lesliequ0
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        So both of you are basically saying that people are just over it? That makes sense to me. I'm over it.
        yes we had enough of this, also facebook is time consuming so people need to log in and update status and see what happened with their friends and although it might be nice at the start in the end we just feel like - "i dont have time to talk to all these people today".

        being active on facebook (as a marketer and even as a an individual who just want to have fun) is a full time job. imagine it like if you will get 1,000 incoming message (not spam) to your email box every morning. it is just too much.

        and i say: "long live Google!"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3601662].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Morgan
      Yep, as the above person said. Myspace once was on the decline.

      This can possibly happen with any social networking platform, at any time, as many new ones come out.
      Signature
      -> [FREE WSO 1] Discover 77 FREE Ways To Generate Traffic!
      -> [FREE WSO 2] Discover 67 Killer Traffic Methods Which Will Crush Your Competition!
      -> [FREE WSO 3] Discover 77 Amazing Blogging Tips To Explode Your Profits!

      ...…..Now LISTEN CAREFULLY! ===> [WSO REPORTS 4, 5, 6 are >> Found Here]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487065].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Hanz
      There's really nothing much to do on Facebook other than to tell the world that you exist and just adding "friends" because you've got nothing else to do with your time.:p
      Signature
      All The Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Audios, SEO Reports & Articles You Want with PLR ~ New Products Added Daily in Super Hot Niches! ~ Sign Up to PLR Assassin Today
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487072].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sundaram
        I don't think facebook is on the decline. It has got a great number of members that interact among one another on various topics including those related to their business. It is a healthy social media.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504781].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Votoshka
          I never really used MySpace, but I am on Facebook (errm I am a nerd who plays Facebook Apps )... I have found it's a good way of catching up with people you may not have seen for years... and errm... it's a good way of wasting time!

          With an Alexa rank of #2 I don't think it's particularly declining either :rolleyes:

          This isn't to say interest in FB won't peter off in time... but at the moment it's at a peak rather than a decline. I'm sure it will plateau out though... although there are a whole new bunch of kids who will be joining it in the next few years or until the next big thing comes along!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2505073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Lenaghan
    Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

    I read in another post that Facebook is on the decline. One reason cited was "recent actions of those in charge of the site" (paraphrase) and another reason was that it had reached its market saturation point, at least that is my understanding of his explanation.
    The "recent actions" comment is probably referring to the way FB changes their security and privacy terms every so often. There's a chart on this site that lets you compare how much information is shared from one year to the next:

    The Evolution of Privacy on Facebook

    If you compare 2005 to 2010, there's a lot more stuff that's made public by default now.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      Originally Posted by nichescape View Post

      The "recent actions" comment is probably referring to the way FB changes their security and privacy terms every so often. There's a chart on this site that lets you compare how much information is shared from one year to the next:

      The Evolution of Privacy on Facebook

      If you compare 2005 to 2010, there's a lot more stuff that's made public by default now.

      John
      That is one freaky graph.

      I started listening to Pandora for the first time this week, and periodically someone's picture from my FB account would pop up when a new song came on and the message would say, "so-and-so likes this artist" and it just really weirded me out, because I certainly wasn't exporting any Facebook information to them. It happened automatically. So yeah, this year, all your likes are made public. CREEPY!!! Maybe if I'm going to do some IM I shouldn't be creeped out by that. But I am.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487122].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Lenaghan
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        That is one freaky graph.

        I started listening to Pandora for the first time this week, and periodically someone's picture from my FB account would pop up when a new song came on and the message would say, "so-and-so likes this artist" and it just really weirded me out, because I certainly wasn't exporting any Facebook information to them. It happened automatically. So yeah, this year, all your likes are made public. CREEPY!!! Maybe if I'm going to do some IM I shouldn't be creeped out by that. But I am.
        You can lock your Facebook profile down so there's very little that gets shared publicly. The trouble is, FB defaults to sharing as much as possible and you have to go in and change the settings. Most people never do, and generally have no idea they even should.

        As a general rule though, you should never post anything online that you wouldn't want the world to see. Facebook is a high profile example of the problem, but for the most part, anything you post on the internet could get shared.

        It might be creepy, but it's the nature of the internet. If you want to do business online, make sure you're proactive about protecting stuff you don't want out there.

        Get a mailing address to use for your domain registrations so you don't have to use your home address. Use Google Voice or some other service for a phone number you can use. Don't post personal pictures that you wouldn't want people to see. Etc.

        Once the cat's out of the bag, it's pretty hard (impossible, really) to get it back in.

        John
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487151].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ~kev~
    The main reason why I rarely use facebook - its too complicated.

    Like my blog feed - its supposed to import my most recent blog post and post it on my wall. It worked for the first couple of weeks, but it stopped working 3 or 4 weeks ago. I can not find out why my blog feed stopped working?

    Then there is my facebook page. Why do some pages get the facebook.com/page name status? But my page still have the facebook.com/pages/pagename,,,, some kind of number?

    For the most part, I spend more time trying to figure out how to use facebook, then actually using it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487105].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Because it isn't and the people in the other post are F.O.S.?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487158].message }}
    • Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      Because it isn't and the people in the other post are F.O.S.?
      This.

      I actually thought this thread was a spoof.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Justin Jordan
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      Because it isn't and the people in the other post are F.O.S.?
      Winnah!

      Facebook continues to gain more people everyday.

      Someone above said that there's nothing to do on Facebook, which is pretty far from the truth, since everyone and their brother is halfway obsessed with the games it offers.

      It has been getting criticized a lot about security, so most of the press they're getting is negative. This can lead to the perception that Facebook is in decline, but the reality is that most of the people that use it don't care about that stuff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487518].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      Because it isn't and the people in the other post are F.O.S.?
      I bow to your greater knowledge, oh business guru, Michael..

      If you say it's not, then it mustn't be, right? :rolleyes:

      G.O.Y....
      Signature

      Bare Murkage.........

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491020].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PaulaC
        Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

        I bow to your greater knowledge, oh business guru, Michael..

        If you say it's not, then it mustn't be, right? :rolleyes:

        G.O.Y....

        I'm still trying to figure out what F.O.S stands for and now you give me G.O.Y?!
        Signature

        My Blog --> Affiliate Blog Online

        Our New Membership Site - Affiliate Tools HQ

        Amazonian Profit Plan - Our Complete Blueprint for Making Money Online by Promoting Amazon Products - The Amazonian Profit Plan

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2503726].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webjedi
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      Because it isn't and the people in the other post are F.O.S.?
      Absolutely agree.
      I see it as a threat to Google. They are on the rise not decline. I heard they were working their own Search engine solution.

      Their ad revenue is on the rise for sure.
      Where did you see it was on the decline?

      wj
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3595685].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author J6869
        I don't think Facebook is on the decline. It seems more and more businesses are creating business pages, due to the fact that social media isn't going away anytime soon. Interesting data if you go to compete.com and type in facebook.com vs google.com (not saying Google isn't important) - just saying that there's some interesting info there.

        Julie
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3595732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aandersen
    i don't know, if facebook fades something will take its place. my friends and I were all using hi5 before. now it is facebook.

    for me I do not go on facebook to "play", nor is it really for the sole purpose of my entertainment.

    I use facebook as a way to keep in touch with friends/family in other cities and countries. Personally, I do not like making international phone calls, or really any phone calls for that matter. There are a handful of people that I would prefer not to loose contact with, and if staying in contact was dependent on phone calls/emails I most likely would. facebook is good for this.

    if we all depended on personal blogs, photo sharing sites, email, instant messaging, status updates, etc. most of us would not bother and we would loose contact for sure. by putting it all in once place, we use it.

    unlike myspace, it is not all about taking gay little pictures of yourself in the mirror or with your camera held above your head at a strange angle. it is also not about adding your favorite music or blinging out your page.

    it seems to be truley based on the element of networking, and is why you see many older folks, professionals, and businesses with FB profiles than you did on other social networks.


    the only way i see FB really and truely declining, is if something else comes along to replace it.
    Signature

    signature goes here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bertuseng
    Facebook is and will be for quite a long time a great way to socialize and share pictures, info etc with friends. I dont think this will change very soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487283].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
      Originally Posted by bertuseng View Post

      Facebook is and will be for quite a long time a great way to socialize and share pictures, info etc with friends. I dont think this will change very soon.
      You're kidding right?

      In what way is FB a great way to socialize or share pictures? compared to what? Talking to people and having face time with REAL people?

      It's not a great way nor is it an alternative. It was originally designed to keep in contact with friends you already HAD. It wasn't meant to actually make new friends (although possible, it's much more difficult than if you took your lazy butt to a local mall, parties, or softball games).

      I would say it's a poor way to develope REAL social skills. It's a "cop-out" for what IS real, and the feelings you get when you hug, kiss, shake hands, or physcially talk too.

      It makes me sick how so many people trade their social lives for a life of being a hermit, and think it's a "great" way to make friends, when the life of a FB attic is a false one at best.

      Originally Posted by aandersen View Post

      i don't know, if facebook fades something will take its place. my friends and I were all using hi5 before. now it is facebook.

      for me I do not go on facebook to "play", nor is it really for the sole purpose of my entertainment.

      I use facebook as a way to keep in touch with friends/family in other cities and countries. Personally, I do not like making international phone calls, or really any phone calls for that matter. There are a handful of people that I would prefer not to loose contact with, and if staying in contact was dependent on phone calls/emails I most likely would. facebook is good for this.

      if we all depended on personal blogs, photo sharing sites, email, instant messaging, status updates, etc. most of us would not bother and we would loose contact for sure. by putting it all in once place, we use it.

      unlike myspace, it is not all about taking gay little pictures of yourself in the mirror or with your camera held above your head at a strange angle. it is also not about adding your favorite music or blinging out your page.

      it seems to be truley based on the element of networking, and is why you see many older folks, professionals, and businesses with FB profiles than you did on other social networks.


      the only way i see FB really and truely declining, is if something else comes along to replace it.
      I never understood why ppl took the time to take those odd angle pictures
      to give them the best lighting or angles that made them stand out. I mean,
      I guess it's natural. But what ever happened to seeing ALL angles of some body by physcially being there in the flesh?

      It's so much more exciting and real.

      Like you, I used facebook for nothing more than to keep in touch with real friends and family. It's GREAT for that. But nothing more.

      It's when people start to "think" it's smart to make hundreds of false friends thinking it's the same as going out and simply interacting with ppl on a REAL level.

      I've tried a few times, and I get depressed when I can't atleast HEAR a conversation that looks good on paper, but would be better when spoken from the mouth the person I want to talk to...at the very least.
      Signature
      **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    I think it is because Betty White went on Saturday Night Live and said that Facebook was a huge waste of time!

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author funkynassau
      Lots of good theories here! I like fb, but then I use it mainly to keep in touch with friends and family, and I have a bunch of cousins in England and we chat back and forth via fb.

      I find it hard to believe it's declining.
      Signature

      ChipFixx custom mixed auto touchup paint kits.
      http://www.chipfixx.ca

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487373].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author whaldorf
    It surprises me that facebook isn't on the decline, I have trouble caring enough to log in and mess around with it. That's always the case for me - it was exactly the same when I had a myspace page.

    Social sites are still in their infancy relatively speaking (I guess the whole internet is really), but so far FB sits at the top of the crop. The remarkable thing to me is how rapidly myspace dive bombed off the radar.. the mighty certainly do fall.

    I've included a snapshot from Alexa that compares facebook, myspace and the "new kid" twitter. Look how tiny myspace is now! But contrary to the op's thread question about the decline of facebook, I would say they're doing just fine...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author excoder01
    I must admit, the only time I use FB is for the FB ads feature.
    Signature
    Affiliate Review Templates - get affiliate review templates every week. No tech or marketing skills required!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    I think it was because betty ford's great great granddaughter recently came forward and said that Betty had once owned a picture book of all her favorite nieces and nephews... and she called it her "face book" (back then they didnt say "pictures" on the counta they didnt know what one was yet) anyway, she patented that book idea... so now this brave girl wants to come back and take what is rightfully her great great grandmothers...

    Can you blame her?

    Anyway, alot of facebook user are afraid they're gonna change the theme to stars and stripes, and nobody thinks thats cool... you know, red, white and blue isnt not (lol) exactly the new "black"... unless you are a country star then wearing it while singing a patriotic tune on TV and dedicating it to the president can turn you into a millionaire even if you suck...

    But that's not the point: Cough! Tobykieth... Ahem...
    Cough! Leegreenwoodsanasskisser Cough!

    Ahem...! Excuse me.

    Anyway, people are searching for social networks that are projected to hold on to their en vogue image... no body wants to particpate with the red white and blue theme... how ironic is that (see I know big words too)?

    Anyway,

    As silly as it is, thats why facebook is going down.

    I swear. I heard it firsthand in the middle of the ozark walmart... from betty fords great great great grandaughter...

    She was standing there plain as day in a tube top and some greasy looking sweatpants and flip flops...

    (I imagine she had been working hard in the family flag factory and all, cuz she was real sweaty... I really admire when a famous folks like that is willing to up an dig in and get dirty with the hired help...BTW The Flag factory, that's where all flags in America come from...everybody knows that...its in the constitution:rolleyes.


    Anyway, yeah. Take it from me, thats why facebooks going down... if you have any messages for her... I dont mind runnin back down to walmart to see if she's still there... Its really no problem at all...

    Thats just how we roll down here in arkansas. Help each other you know...

    Speakin a that...

    Some city slicker rolled up in the driveway just the other day and asked me a strange question: He said "How do you get to walmart from here"? (I imagine he was onto this facebook thing...) and I just told him the truth:

    "Well sir...usually my uncle takes me" (even though I was embarrassed to admit I didnt have a car...) and he got angry of all things and drove off... I dont understand city folks man, dont they appreciate honesty? Seems kinda strange to em...you know, like it makes em mad?

    Now I aint a bad person, but I'll be honest, I dont know that I ever care to meet one again, with that kinda attitude!

    Anyway, thats why facebook is goin down.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Lin
    Yeah, facebook is difficult to navigate. I only use facebook to update stuff, but now I switch to twitter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487534].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      Wow, thank you all for your responses! They are a mix of insight and hilarity. I have a slightly negative feeling about Facebook in general, I'm one of the people who finds it complicated and boring (and I'm definitely not obsessed with its games!) but that doesn't have any bearing on what the general population thinks. I can see that the majority of you feel it's not on the decline. Interesting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487586].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        Wow, thank you all for your responses! They are a mix of insight and hilarity. I have a slightly negative feeling about Facebook in general, I'm one of the people who finds it complicated and boring (and I'm definitely not obsessed with its games!) but that doesn't have any bearing on what the general population thinks. I can see that the majority of you feel it's not on the decline. Interesting.
        Honestly I think they will decline though if they dont start giving users more of a sense of security... even a false one would help.

        There have been entire nations much more powerful than "facebook", who came down in spite of their huge presence, because the people lacked a sense of security... it just grows and grows. slowly and invisibly, till the next thing you know its BLACK MONDAY.

        I like facebook so I hope they outlive the rumors.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487639].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
          And there's also the possibility of a game-changer coming out of the blue and killing it, right? There's no trajectory for that; it could happen any time.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487655].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kay King
            I think you are over-interpreting a comment that was only an opinion posted in another thread. Social media often peaks and wanes - or simply changes.

            My own friends have changed the way they use Facebook - but they love Facebook.

            They no longer accept "friends" who are people they don't physically know. They limit their Facebook contacts to friends, co-workers and family members.

            These same people loved the idea of "new friends" a few months ago and accepted followers and followed others. They got bored with it. They are tired of some of the fakes you run into - and don't like people trying to sell various stuff to them. They call it a time suck but then play Farmville for hours:p

            Facebook will change and in the future may be replaced with another new thing or may go on for years. Before that happens it's likely Facebook will lose ground as a marketing tool except for those with well branded names.

            There was a point on MySpace where it seemed most marketers were only marketing to marketers. Though Facebook seems to want a commercial side, the users may choose otherwise.
            Signature
            Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

            Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487706].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

              I think you are over-interpreting a comment that was only an opinion posted in another thread. Social media often peaks and wanes - or simply changes.

              My own friends have changed the way they use Facebook - but they love Facebook.

              They no longer accept "friends" who are people they don't physically know. They limit their Facebook contacts to friends, co-workers and family members.

              These same people loved the idea of "new friends" a few months ago and accepted followers and followed others. They got bored with it. They are tired of some of the fakes you run into - and don't like people trying to sell various stuff to them. They call it a time suck but then play Farmville for hours:p

              Facebook will change and in the future may be replaced with another new thing or may go on for years. Before that happens it's likely Facebook will lose ground as a marketing tool except for those with well branded names.

              There was a point on MySpace where it seemed most marketers were only marketing to marketers. Though Facebook seems to want a commercial side, the users may choose otherwise.
              Hmmm...I don't think I'm "over-interpreting" anything. I pretty much took the opinions I read, stated them clearly, and asked people to argue for or against the basic premise, so that I could educate myself. Seems pretty straightforward to me! Thanks for your input.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487747].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Hamza
              Originally Posted by Kay King View Post


              Facebook will change and in the future may be replaced with another new thing or may go on for years. Before that happens it's likely Facebook will lose ground as a marketing tool except for those with well branded names.
              Very good point!

              Facebook users will keep growing, but in the future it will finally be what it meant to be in the first place, a private network.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3601707].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DubDubDubDot
            Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

            And there's also the possibility of a game-changer coming out of the blue and killing it, right? There's no trajectory for that; it could happen any time.
            There is nothing on the radar, and FB isn't going to experience a meaningful exodus until that next big thing is both available for use and socially acceptable for primary use.

            MySpace year by year began signing up fewer youths. Every year it got worse than the last. It was obvious that something was up and that without any new blood injected into their system MySpace was eventually not going to be trendy anymore.

            Even in those early stages of MySpace getting wobbly, the potential next big thing choices were all known (though not all household name well known). There was Bebo, Hi5, Facebook, Orkut, Xanga, etc... and it was just a matter of who that younger generation really getting on the internet for the first time (without any kind of supervision) was going to choose.

            IMO a lot of this came down to minimalist design. MySpace had become the total opposite of that with the social pressure within the community to pimp out your profile far beyond what should have been done.

            These were kids whose initial exposure to the internet was really right at the start of the minimalist "web 2.0" design concepts. I don't think it's any coincidence that of the viable options, they chose Facebook, the one with the most minimalist design. And of course from there the other age groups followed them over little by little.

            But no, there is nothing out there that is small but appears to have a bigger upside than the others at their level. It's possible that something like Tumblr.com could maaaaybe transform into that over the next few years. I wouldn't bet on it though.

            I think Facebook will safely sign today's 12 to 14-year-olds over the next few years. Beyond that, I'm not so sure. At that stage (today's 11-year-old's and below) they will probably gravitate to their own thing and in 2018 we will be saying how much Facebook blew it like we slam MySpace today.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2502734].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Aussie_Al
          Has any one seen the new Myspace band pages?

          They are now enforcing all bands to make their pages more uniform...you know, like a face book page !!! This becomes mandatory for all band / music pages August 31st. They put this into effect since they are losing so many bands to FB

          Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487678].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joe Mobley
      Kathryn, why do you ask?

      Were you thinking of using it for marketing?

      What will change in you business/personal life based on the answer to your question?

      Just curious.

      Oh yea, see MichaelHiles' post for the correct answer.


      Joe
      Signature

      .

      Follow Me on Twitter: @daVinciJoe
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aabayommy
    I will want to say Facebook can't remain the same forever. there was a time when Yahoo! was the Number One site in the world according to alexa ranking before Google overtook. People keep coming up with new trends everyday, people can't stopping about how to add value which are unique.

    I believe that there are more sites to come with great features. Trust me.
    Signature
    ***I Joined 20 Other Partners In A 60 Days Challenge To Turn $100 Into $2000 With 60 Minutes Work A Day. Click Here To Discover Exactly What I Did, How I Did It And The Shocking Results I Got.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wise
    I'll have a pint of what John Durham's been drinking!!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487588].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author White80
    Interesting to read these views on Facebook, thanks !!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
    No specific application whatsoever, just curious. I guess you could say it relates to IM the way knowing the general political climate relates to business. There may not be a direct, measurable cause-and-effect relationship between what the world does and what your business does, but it's smart to keep an eye out for general trends, subtle influences, knowledge to draw on later for brainstorming sessions...whatever. But mainly, just curious.

    And I was really hoping to get an answer to the point this fellow made earlier in a different post; he said that since FB had so many people signed up to it already, that it was on the decline...he didn't use the term market saturation but that's what I think he was getting at. But I don't see how decline logically follows from having tons of people sign up to your site...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andybeveridge
    500 million users and growing daily. Its path might change, but as a social media platform, no way.
    Signature

    Become a Digi Warrior and join us in the successful Dig Warrior IM Academy
    Join us at www.digiwarrior.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Durham
    Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

    And there's also the possibility of a game-changer coming out of the blue and killing it, right? There's no trajectory for that; it could happen any time.
    "Game Changers" happen... This may seem like weirdly, hocus pocus, ultra tree hugging spiritual talk... but, in my 41 years I have observed that whenever there is a silent general consensus about a subject bubbling under the surface, maybe even an unspoken one... it seems to hit large sectors of people all at once and sudden like... almost with no verbal warning... it says, you sensed this coming, so why dint you move?

    Because there was no "evidence" of it coming...? Fear is a silent killer... people are afraid that their fb information can leak out anywhere right now, and that their identities can be stolen... thats the silent rumble I have been hearing.

    Honestly thats why I shut mine down, though I love it... unauthorized people I found were still able to access my personal life on fb, even though I blocked everyone but my close circle.

    If the majority of others start feeling that way... it can snowball fast
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
    Well the "game changer" would have to create quite an instantaneous splash, and that costs a lot of money - as most of the .com era companies quickly realized when they ran out of venture capital money.

    The overnight success of Facebook took many years to build to the momentum they have now. It started as a viral thing for just college kids until it reached critical mass.

    I don't think it would be possible to actually buy the marketing to build a Facebook out of nowehere.

    Facebook has been recruiting the best technical talent out of a lot of companies, and is pushing into scary directions like even exploring operating systems and mobile platforms of their own.

    The thing that makes Facebook work is that #1, it's not anonymous like MySpace where you can connect with GurlXX154xBotXX

    Even though affiliate CPA spam monkeys have gotten more active, Facebook is pretty heavy handed with fake accounts, and can spot them quickly based on certain heuristics of network connections.

    Most real people have concentrations of friends in specific geographic areas based on their residence over a timeline. Those friends can be analyzed for age, peripheral networks, etc... much like the intelligence community does with anti-terrorism analysis.

    Fake profiles stick out like sore thumbs because they fall outside of the statistical models.

    This kind of intelligence isn't easily replicated, and is what makes Facebook far more of a powerhouse than the average user understands.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487724].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Durham
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post


      Facebook has been recruiting the best technical talent out of a lot of companies, and is pushing into scary directions like even exploring operating systems and mobile platforms of their own.

      Michael you may have heard me tell of my close friend, David Weinberg who built the largest wallpaper border manufacturing plant on the planet, from the ground up; "DW Walcovering"...

      He had his product in walmart, lowes, home depot, biglots.... all that... we are talking a 100 mil flowed through this company every year... then he got ambitious (isnt that a funny thing to say?)and started moving in those "scary" directions...and creating all kinds of never before seen products...

      One day he found that a product he had released on a MASSIVE scale... fell off peoples walls after 90 days...

      BAMM you would not believe the Black Monday that happenned virtually over night when everything he owned including his bank account was shut down, never to be reopened... Long story. It's here on the forum somewhere with more detail...

      but, my friend owned and operated that plant for 10 years, had 2 million dollars homes , a brand new convertible 2 door jaguar and a matching four door one for good measure...horses with stables... the whole bit ...

      Now he lives with his mom in a spare bedroom.

      Not saying that will happen to facebook, but there are some problems that even 100 million dollars cant get you out of. It was quite traumatizing being there for him for two years after it happenned and watching my friend retreat from being a great conquering phenomena, into a what you may not even recognize today as a mere shell of a man.

      Anyway, long live facebook. It truly brings people together and (Bonus) even drives some apart!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487764].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

      Well the "game changer" would have to create quite an instantaneous splash, and that costs a lot of money...
      But isn't the nature of a game-changer too unpredictable to, well, predict its parameters in this way?

      And regarding money, couldn't a big corporation step in and pay for what you're suggesting easily enough? I'm sure Google and Apple are working on something as we speak. (Right?)

      Facebook is pretty heavy handed with fake accounts, and can spot them quickly based on certain heuristics of network connections.

      Most real people have concentrations of friends in specific geographic areas based on their residence over a timeline. Those friends can be analyzed for age, peripheral networks, etc... much like the intelligence community does with anti-terrorism analysis.

      Fake profiles stick out like sore thumbs because they fall outside of the statistical models.

      This kind of intelligence isn't easily replicated, and is what makes Facebook far more of a powerhouse than the average user understands.
      Interesting!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487788].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Vogin
        I'll tell you what. Facebook is a victim of its own success. I'm almost 100% positive that when Zuckerberg with his folks started this out, he had no idea whatsoever that FB will one day have 500,000,000 users and will become what is has become.

        FB is made to really be a social platform for close, small groups of friends and relatives who perhaps live in different countries, not the monstrosity where millions of people are wasting their lives playing Farmville and poker.

        I personally never have nor I ever will use FB for personal of commercial use, because I consider it a huge mistake.
        Signature

        ppcsluzby.cz/en - PPC agency


        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487839].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author John Durham
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        But isn't the nature of a game-changer too unpredictable to, well, predict its parameters in this way?
        If it were not, (the nature of a game changer) unpredictable, then it wouldnt be a game changer. Game changers dont happen because your board of highly paid, brilliant minds saw them coming... they are disastrous sudden calamities usually. They tend to leave the smartest business men looking like this = :confused:
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SeriousIM
    Maybe because it's too saturated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487767].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davewebsmith
    http://www.insidefacebook.com/2010/0...urements-show/

    Facebook ended this past spring with a bout of negative publicity due to some privacy changes. The company’s own data has suggested a slowdown in growth (and slight traffic fall in some age groups) in the US around the same time, but the cause of the drop wasn’t clear, and anyway, growth seemed to be back on track again in July.

    But third party stats are less clear. Some web measurement firms show Facebook growing quickly in May and June, while others show growth coming in spurts — with a possible growth slowdown happening internationally (though data is scant).

    Here’s a closer look at what comScore, Google Ad Planner, Nielsen, Quantcast, and Compete have told us since the last times we looked.
    Signature
    watch this space ...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
    Banned
    I think this thread was the reason for this post

    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...count-lol.html

    No biggie ... Now I have a brand new Facebook account with 4 friends and that's the way it's staying.

    I may want to play around with some Facebook ads at some point so I just created a new account.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487813].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

      I think this thread was the reason for this post

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...count-lol.html

      No biggie ... Now I have a brand new Facebook account with 4 friends and that's the way it's staying.

      I may want to play around with some Facebook ads at some point so I just created a new account.
      That's totally the reason. I realized I was about to hijack your thread.

      Glad you're back on FB! (I was thinking it would be hilarious if it turned out that there was an easy way to get your old account back, and the whole thing was no big deal, after we got all irate about the FB policy.)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487840].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author sbucciarel
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        That's totally the reason. I realized I was about to hijack your thread.

        Glad you're back on FB! (I was thinking it would be hilarious if it turned out that there was an easy way to get your old account back, and the whole thing was no big deal, after we got all irate about the FB policy.)
        Well, actually I should have been able to ... I tried the verification thing numerous times and with the help of Google finally got all the answers right.

        HOWEVER ... I am on dialup and when the test was done, it said I answered the questions too slow .... lol. I f*&^king give up.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487852].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
          Too slow!!! Oh my god. Well, that is sophisticated intelligence as Michael says. Not sure it's necessary tho.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2487873].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author John Durham
          Originally Posted by sbucciarel View Post

          Well, actually I should have been able to ... I tried the verification thing numerous times and with the help of Google finally got all the answers right.

          HOWEVER ... I am on dialup and when the test was done, it said I answered the questions too slow .... lol. I f*&^king give up.
          How awesome that you accomplish so much and do it all on dial up... been there... I commend you.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2488871].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author garyv
            Personally I think they'll be around for a while. It seems as though every time a new player comes along and makes it to the top, they last a little longer than the last guy. Simply because it becomes harder and harder to knock that top guy down.

            It will take a behemoth effort to undo facebook. Their open software architecture is brilliant. And it swallows up huge chunks of internet real-estate.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2488983].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Steven Wagenheim
            I wish I owned a site that was on a decline like Facebook.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Kerr
    facebook currently hit a large number of marketers, its moving from the high money large traffic general ads to more targeted niche ads to generate affiliate profit. Basically saturation point, but more specifically, because there is room to grow still, its just not as simple as before.

    I personally still see tons of success through facebook, using tyler perry type success models. For this reason, the potential of growth for this media is still huge and I believe its on the incline overall, just the extremely successful are fewer these days.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2488999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh


    I'm confused...
    Signature
    Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489165].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kathryn Mc
      Originally Posted by KansasDragon View Post



      I'm confused...
      That was my confusion exactly. Someone in another thread made the point that 500 million users were now on Facebook, and said that ergo, it was on the decline, and I was like, "whut???" So to find out if there was any validity to this thinking (maybe there was some marketing principle I didn't know about) I started this thread...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491061].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        And regarding money, couldn't a big corporation step in and pay for what you're suggesting easily enough? I'm sure Google and Apple are working on something as we speak. (Right?)
        Actually, Apple already owns a minority stake in Facebook, and it's one reason Google hates Facebook so vehemently.

        Google was set to buy that minority stake, and some last minute, behind the scenes drama led FB to about face and sell the shares to Apple instead.

        If money and motivation were all it took, FB would be nothing more than a pile of smoking electrons by now...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491292].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
        Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

        I bow to your greater knowledge, oh business guru, Michael..

        If you say it's not, then it mustn't be, right? :rolleyes:

        G.O.Y....
        Except for one thing that you may have overlooked... I posted it as a question in response to the OP for a reason.

        What might have been my purpose for intentionally posting my response in question format, as opposed to an assertive statement?



        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        That was my confusion exactly. Someone in another thread made the point that 500 million users were now on Facebook, and said that ergo, it was on the decline, and I was like, "whut???" So to find out if there was any validity to this thinking (maybe there was some marketing principle I didn't know about) I started this thread...
        It's not a "marketing princple" per se, but more like a "silly people say silly things on internet forums" principle.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491359].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JayXtreme
          Originally Posted by MichaelHiles View Post

          Except for one thing that you may have overlooked... I posted it as a question in response to the OP for a reason.

          What might have been my purpose for intentionally posting my response in question format, as opposed to an assertive statement?
          Of course you posted it as a "question", Michael...

          It's an age old tactic used on forums, to throw something out there, without standing behind it 100%.. Allows you to be 'sensational', without actually saying anything.

          Have a great weekend!... I've neither the time, nor the inclination to get into a debate about this.

          For anyone who is genuinely interested in the rise, fall, or lack thereof, or future of FaceBook.. it doesn't take much digging to find what's going on in the Valley.

          They publish enough press stuff, and numbers for you to see the bigger picture.
          Signature

          Bare Murkage.........

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491694].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author MichaelHiles
            Originally Posted by JayXtreme View Post

            Of course you posted it as a "question", Michael...

            It's an age old tactic used on forums, to throw something out there, without standing behind it 100%.. Allows you to be 'sensational', without actually saying anything.

            Have a great weekend!... I've neither the time, nor the inclination to get into a debate about this.

            For anyone who is genuinely interested in the rise, fall, or lack thereof, or future of FaceBook.. it doesn't take much digging to find what's going on in the Valley.

            They publish enough press stuff, and numbers for you to see the bigger picture.
            Let's be real now. You've got plenty of time and inclination to debate it or you wouldn't have responded the way that you initially did with your little passive-aggressive snipe.

            Another age old forum trick.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491724].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
        Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

        That was my confusion exactly. Someone in another thread made the point that 500 million users were now on Facebook, and said that ergo, it was on the decline, and I was like, "whut???" So to find out if there was any validity to this thinking (maybe there was some marketing principle I didn't know about) I started this thread...
        There is only one thing I know of in decline at Facebook and it is the growth rate. Not a stop to growth, but a decline in the rate of growth. Which makes perfect sense, how do you keep growing at the same rate as you hit a higher and higher percentage of the total internet users already signed up and actively using Facebook?

        It is the same issue Microsoft, Google, YouTube, and every other prominent company hits, at some point you approach the highest percentage of the audience you are going to get.
        Signature
        Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kevin_Hutto
    Not sure that it is on the decline, but if it is... I would guess it is because of the proliferation of crappy games.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489244].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    Myspace is now back to the way it started, it's a platform for bands to communicate to their fans.

    Speaking from a youngsters point of view (I'm 19) not having facebook and living in the USA at my age is kind of social suicide.

    I'm serious too, people will Facebook creep (stalk) each other a lot. Most of the time its a great way to stay in connection with your friends who moved away, or that you moved away from.

    In fact, if you don't have a lot of pictures on your facebook at my age, or at least a few comments on your page, your seen as kind of anti social.

    I have a good friend, his facebook is rarely updated (he's too busy out racing cars) but because of this he doesn't have as great of a social life.

    Facebook is going to be here for at least a little longer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489467].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author l23bc
      Originally Posted by Slin View Post

      Myspace is now back to the way it started, it's a platform for bands to communicate to their fans.

      Speaking from a youngsters point of view (I'm 19) not having facebook and living in the USA at my age is kind of social suicide.

      I'm serious too, people will Facebook creep (stalk) each other a lot. Most of the time its a great way to stay in connection with your friends who moved away, or that you moved away from.

      In fact, if you don't have a lot of pictures on your facebook at my age, or at least a few comments on your page, your seen as kind of anti social.

      I have a good friend, his facebook is rarely updated (he's too busy out racing cars) but because of this he doesn't have as great of a social life.

      Facebook is going to be here for at least a little longer.
      Myspace is staying the same i beleive and as for bands i think new sites like bandsintown seems to growing alot more better.

      I hardly use facebook now since they have started blocking scripts i used with cpa offers,

      just my 2 cents.
      andy
      Signature

      No Link here or Nothing to Promote Just a Old Happy Warrior User reading Topics

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    I don't know if you really understand the whole point behind facebook, the point is that I can follow a friends life and still be a (small) part of it even if he lives far away.

    For instance, one of my best friends lives a 2 hour drive from my home, but I still know that he's dating a girl named Sarah, i know that his car broke down and that she drives him everywhere now, and I know that his mom has safely made it through her surgery.

    I also know that an old friend of mine got into a pretty big college, even though I haven't had the chance to talk to him for a long time.

    Heck, I know that Angela is now single, attractive, and needs some help finding a new guy

    I know all of these things at the click of a button, my friend in the military updates us on his latest training weekly.

    Not even going to start on the relatives i've been able to keep in touch with (except that my brother is having a great time with his new son, and the pictures of his son are dang cute)

    I agree, I think talking in person is a much better way to interact, I think many people spend way too much time on sites such as facebook.

    But the fact is its a great useful tool, I don't plan on switching to another site or getting rid of my account anytime soon.

    Myspace mainly died i think, because it had a lot of span for porn sites and things, it wasn't as family friendly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author l3vi501
    I'm stuck using Facebook as long as I have to manage a page for a website. LOL

    I personal use it for keeping in contact with family since I'm not so social with them in person, but now of days I really don't care to see my parents or other corny jokes or whatever, its like a 24/7 family reunion. Would love to delete but fan pages keep me on.
    Signature

    Save someones banana with SEOnky.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zerofill
    You couldn't pry that stupid cafe game out of my wife's cold dead hands. That thing where you run a restaurant... she is ridiculous with that stupid thing. World cafe or cafe world or whatever the hell it is.
    Signature
    Serp Shaker
    The IM World Will Be Shaken to the Core!
    Join my list at: IMCool.Biz
    New Podcast --> podcast.imcool.biz
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2489729].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thedog
    here in china, they're way ahead of the pack... no facebook here... but that could be the communism...

    it's all "qq" here (chinese messenger thing)

    everyone asks for your "qq" number, i'm curious... have any of you guys even head of "qq"?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdentrepreneur
    I know that Facebook is going strong. Not only am I generating leads and sales from Facebook but I consult on 19 Facebook Business accounts for my clients and growth and sales are going through the roof. I still hear on TV, Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

    It really depends on what you are using it for my friends....
    Signature

    Learn to become Digital, Internet and Social Media Marketing Consultant to Business Owners
    Click here to learn more - Internet, Digital and Social Media Marketing Training Course

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CianMcCarthy
    Banned
    Facebook....meh
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491309].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author James Clayton
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491711].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BobJutsu
      Originally Posted by James Lo View Post

      This is a very debatable topic, considering FaceBook reached 500 million users not too long ago. Personally, I believe that FaceBook is on the decline particularly because:

      1) People are getting bored with it and are looking for new things.

      2) The people in charge are turning many users away.

      3) It's too complicated for some people.

      Nontheless, I think FaceBook is nothing more than a fad, and eventually it will die out.
      I agree, facebook is a fad that people are getting bored with...the same way people got bored with that email fad and email died out, remember that;/
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492480].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author excoder01
        Originally Posted by BobJutsu View Post

        I agree, facebook is a fad that people are getting bored with...the same way people got bored with that email fad and email died out, remember that;/
        Don't forgot, the Internet is a fad, and will die out soon...
        Signature
        Affiliate Review Templates - get affiliate review templates every week. No tech or marketing skills required!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492506].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BobJutsu
          Originally Posted by excoder01 View Post

          Don't forgot, the Internet is a fad, and will die out soon...
          And don't forget the telephone, that thing is DOOMED. Nobody wants to speak into a machine when they can go over to their friends house and talk face to face, silly fads...and whats with all those numbers, way too complicated for me.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492522].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mangozoom
    My facebook niche accounts are doing great thanks.

    FB no doubt will shrinkback as the novelty wears off but I do not think it has the problems that Myspace had. The features are far superior and therefore I think it will be around a lot longer.

    Twitter is more likely to shrink back in my view as it is very basic.

    I base my comments on facebook on my results and nothing else.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2491728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoweb2000
    Decline or not 500million users is not a market to be ignore. i am looking at created some niche accts too at FB
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492123].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kubas
    Facebook is currently focusing on monetizing from the boom for social games that happened last year. They signed contracts for 5 years with all the major players in social gaming market.

    There is a good site with all the most important news about Facebook here:
    Inside Facebook - Tracking Facebook and the Facebook Platform for Developers and Marketers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BorsaBella
    I LOVE Facebook, too! In case you haven't seen, Facebook has just released Facebook Places. Similar to Four Square it seems...you can check in to your location based on gps tech. This is will be great for local biz and those selling marketing services to local biz
    Just sayin'
    Facebook Places: Here's how it works - CNN.com
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bitwise
    I don't think that FB use is going down. I thought it was that some top FB game usage is going down.

    http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...tumble/1401804
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jcpryor
    I understand some people may not like facebook, but I'm curious to know why people think it's on the decline? Everything I've been hearing suggests the opposite. Are there any publications that show the trends?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2492932].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fabian Tan
    The difference between Facebook and MySpace is that MySpace was only popular mainly in the US. MySpace hardly registered on the radar with most people in Asia.

    Facebook, on the other hand, is popular the world over. They simply saw that the concept was popular and improved on it.

    It is quite likely that it will be around for a while yet.

    And even IF Facebook declines (which is not likely for some time), people will still want a way to share pictures, post comments and basically keep in touch with each other. Something or another will provide that.

    The way I see it, the earlier online companies couldn't maintain their popularity because the Internet was young. Other companies took their models and bettered them. Now the Internet is reaching some level of maturity and the companies that thrive in this period will also have a longer growth and maturity period.

    Fabian
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501733].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author N4PGW
    Originally Posted by Kathryn Mc View Post

    Hi Forum!


    Someone wrote in another post that Facebook is on the decline. One reason cited was "recent actions of those in charge of the site" (paraphrase) and another reason was that it had reached its market saturation point, at least that is my understanding of his explanation.

    -kathryn
    I don't know if it is coming or going, but either way, it is still plenty popular. I just started learning to use it, and I plan to take advantage of it to promote and expand my business.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gary Pettit
    Maybe because users in facebook are making useless stuffs around. As i can see, they are not making it as there junkyard. If only facebook could be a private site, i guess it would serve better
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501786].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jclz3d
    Why do you think it's on the decline?? From everything i've seen its booming.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501847].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
    I develop applications for Facebook and have made over $100,000 from it since January. I'll attempt to explain why Facebook is on the decline.

    Facebook is turning into one huge spam fest. Applications, pages, groups, events and external sites are used by thousands of people for spam purposes. People have lost trust.

    People no longer trust Facebook. In the past year a lot of issues over privacy have been highlighted by the media.

    As a developer, their platform SUCKS! I spent a long time learning old SDK and they ripped it from under my feet and replaced it. Documentation was and still is slacking. So many bugs exist in their platform. There is no help or support on these bugs, developers are often left in the dark to work around the problems Facebook have created. It seems like there is a lack of disrespect for their developers.

    Even more recently, thousands of developers lost their legit applications because their new bot, which aims to reduce spam, flagged the apps.

    Facebook have tried to take on the world far to fast.

    Personally, I can't wait for the arrival of Google Me. I know Google have attempted to create a social network platform, but with their fingers in the Zynga pie, if they pull this off it could easily be the better social network.

    I have a hate relationship with Facebook. I'll keep my mouth zipped, but lets just say I hope Google Me tramples over them.

    The bottom line is people have lost trust. They no longer join fan pages or groups so easily. They no longer add applications in fear of their walls being spammed with unrelated messages. They use it to keep in contact with their friends and that's about it.

    I've seen a rapid decline to my apps, pages and groups since May. And I'm sure others have seen the same before that.
    Signature

    I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2501864].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    It is gonna be hard to get an unbiased picture of FB here, because we are all marketers...

    FB isn't very friendly to marketers, who do not buy PPC traffic on their network...

    What I see is that FB caters beautifully to the consumer mainstream, giving them toys and stuff to play with while they are online... Most people online are only online to kill time... And FB lets them have fun while killing time...

    The ever changing face of privacy on FB is more a refection of the desires of its deep-pocket advertisers... Those changes are made so that FB can squeeze more money out of its platform... I cannot blame them for squeezing every last penny out of it, because one, that is the reason it was built in the first place, and two, because if it is a fad, they need to get the money out of it now, before it goes the way of myspace...
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2503347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ukcarl
    Is this thread for real Facebook just passed Google as the most visited site in the US and it is 2nd in the whole world not much of a decline in my opinion.

    Dont use it myself as I think its a massive distraction and waste of time, except for facebookads of course
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2503746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tecHead
    F.O.S. = Full Of Sh|%
    G.O.Y. = Get Over Yourself

    I find this thread (and forum) very interesting when you look at the demographics...

    Facebook (Venus)





    Warrior Forum (Mars)



    ... food for thought...

    PLP,
    tecHead
    Signature
    Learn Everything You Need to Know About CryptoCurrencies
    Automation is the primary conduit to successful relaxation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2503787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dndoseller
    I think facebook is almost useless for online marketing. Its too private and limiting.

    Twitter gets me actual results and real exposure to my sites target market for the cost of my time. Its fun and really really easy.
    Signature
    DanoSongs.com - Royalty Free Music for Marketing Videos

    No sign up required to try my music in your video.

    Just click to listen and download. No cost to try, only pay when you publish.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2503825].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KevL
    It's hardly on the decline there are over half a billion users, usage is going to go up & down a bit - FB had some bad press recenty so maybe some people are giving it a miss for a while, Also I reckon younger, more advanced users are going to new pastures, as they always will. When MP's and massive corporations start building profiles, the cool kids say "I'm off!". Some people will leave because they'll find it a pain in the backside - like I do.

    The more hardcore users hate commercialisation, when they see that it's turning into a money machine - and it's completely main stream, they'll be moving on to the next big thing until that "sells out" to the mainstream also.

    Also you have to bear in mind that you can make statistics do pretty much whatever you want. So someone reporting on this, could be reporting on new users, for instance new users will be slowing down a lot - as so many people are now already members, and this could easily be turned into to figures which can be used to support a theory that it's in decline.

    I don't think it's going the way myspace has, facebook is in a different league.

    Cheers

    Kev
    Signature
    SEO Kev
    Small business SEO / Web Marketing Tips.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504108].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    Huh, interesting Andy, I haven't been with the band "scene" for a few years now, I know how quickly it can change.

    But last time I was at warped tour most bands would be advertising their myspace pages.

    Anyway, I still think facebook isn't dying any time soon, maybe my youngest brothers generation will move away from it, but all of my friends are staying for good.

    In fact i'm on facebook right now
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2504660].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sparkman
    I'm not going to give my opinion on this, only repeat what I've heard a lot recently.

    "Facebook isn't cool anymore now that my mom and grandma are both on it."

    Their demo which used to be college and HS students, is now mostly made up of middle aged people.

    Coincidence?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596287].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cool Hand Luke
      Originally Posted by sparkman View Post

      Their demo which used to be college and HS students, is now mostly made up of middle aged people.

      Coincidence?
      This is absolutely, 100% false.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596393].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GodFadr
      Originally Posted by sparkman View Post

      I'm not going to give my opinion on this, only repeat what I've heard a lot recently.

      "Facebook isn't cool anymore now that my mom and grandma are both on it."

      Coincidence?
      I have to agree with Sparkman. I think there is a natural decline due to this (and many others have said it as well). BUT....

      Facebook is at a breakout crossroads. With "like" and FB comments showing up on more and more "traditional" sites, this will be their big pass/fail in my opinion.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author outwest
    The way facebook pimps out all the personal information of their users, I certainly would never have an account
    I just dont see the appeal of facebook personally
    Signature
    Tech article writing .Native English Speaker(with Proof)
    specializing in SmartPhones , Internet security, high tech gadgets, search engines, tech shows, digital cameras.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Happy_Balance
    It is hard to rise above #1
    I agree they are not 'cool' anymore, but when were they ever cool?
    Signature

    Every Day Is Fun! :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596397].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
    Facebook IS declining. Chose to ignore me but I've worked on the platform developing applications for so long I know it better than most.

    Issue number one is SPAM!

    For over a year Facebook has been battling with spam. Application developers abused features in the API to spread their applications viral. If you use Facebook enough, you will have noticed it. Users are now getting sick of it because its out of control.

    When you add an application, you hand over permission to perform certain actions. Recently there was a clever application that spammed all your friends on the chat. I traced one of these applications and it had over 15,000 online for the 48 hours it was alive. The developer made SERIOUS cash! But the users were very annoyed. A search for the developers application URL in Google brings in over 8,000 results. For an application that was alive for 2 days, more than 8,000 people found the need to post their negative experience with it somewhere online. 8,000+ angry Facebook users.

    The above happens a lot. And it happens in other forms too like Clickjacking. This was so serious that Facebook had to implement a "confirm" button to the like button for certain viral objects.

    I could go on, and on, and on about spam. But the bottom line is it's effected the users. I know a few people that are no longer on Facebook because they see it as a huge spam platform.

    Do you not remember the time when MySpace declined? It's because of spam.

    The other reason for the decline is users are getting bored now. At one point they all played games, and used all the latest applications, it was buzzing. But users are bored. They don't add applications because of reasons above, or because they are bored of Farmville or Mafia Wars and many people use it because it's just there.

    There are only certain types of people that use it constantly. Those that love to tell the world what they had for dinner, or those that are bored. And that's all it is these days.

    I once made a fortune on Facebook for a long time. I can no longer replicate it because of how "DEAD" the platform is.

    There are other issues that contribute. But the main two factors are above.
    Signature

    I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596444].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Happy_Balance
      Originally Posted by JamesJeffery View Post

      ...
      Issue number one is SPAM!...
      Spam is a huge problem in many places.
      Nice to meet you James, I don't feel 'so alone' any more.
      Signature

      Every Day Is Fun! :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mekap04
      I don't really know. When Facebook became popular, I switched to Facebook and was like this is nice but now I'm like Facebook is boring. I only login to play a bit of poker for 5 minutes. Quite a few of my friends have eve deleted their accounts.

      My guess is

      Spam
      Attempted Suicide Threats (Heard something about this last week)
      Bad Consequences from people putting all their business out there (getting robbed, etc)
      Signature
      Marketer In Training
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596475].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kory Pearman
    People who try and compare Facebook to Myspace are not that smart.

    They are nothing a like besides the fact they are under the "Social Networking" category.

    Why did Myspace fall apart? Because it was too childish. Sometimes I couldn't go to a page because it would take 30minutes to load all of the videos/glitter graphics/etc.

    Facebook is 'professional' and simple. That's why everyone likes it. Plus, very easy to market yourself and connect with everyone and everything. Myspace didn't have that simplicity. You actually had to go to peoples profiles to see what's up.

    "Facebook is too complicated to use" - Well, if you can find your way to the WarriorForum, then you should be able to use Facebook without a problem at all.

    "Facebook is boring" - Really? Is it supposed to be entertaining? Is it a video game? A movie? It's for information. It's to stay in touch with your friends. Log on, check on your family and friends and go on with your day.

    Just so you guys know, Google is on the decline... it's pretty damn boring.. just searching for stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596551].message }}
  • Facebook is little complicated so i enjoy it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596601].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ladywriter
    I'm interested in what's happening AFTER Facebook and Twitter, both seem too mainstream to last much longer. I don't think there's going to be a sharp decline, but I wish I knew some college kids, find out what the next big thing is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596821].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
      Originally Posted by rosegrower76 View Post

      I'm interested in what's happening AFTER Facebook and Twitter, both seem too mainstream to last much longer. I don't think there's going to be a sharp decline, but I wish I knew some college kids, find out what the next big thing is.
      One thing to remember about the mainstream, and those middle-aged and older folks mentioned above...

      They control/spend a LOT of money. They may not know what time waster is buzzing through the dorms, but they know how to use a credit card, and how to buy stuff in stores.

      Heck, even my technophobic wife has a FB page now. She uses it to collect discounts and swag from companies learning to use social media.

      I don't think Facebook as a whole is declining. I think it's evolving.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Devid Farah
    Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post


    Lol @ facebook being on the decline. Mark Zuckerberg made $9.5 "BILLION" Dollars from Facebook between 3/10 - 3/11.....decline my ass.
    You made my day
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596861].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aw
    Its not on the decline. However, if you spend more than a 15 minutes a day on it (unless you are monetizing), you may be personally on the decline.
    Signature
    ALL NEW INFO! A Professional Quality FREE Video Course on the How and Why of Bitcoin & How to Earn Hundreds Daily. PM ME
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3596964].message }}

Trending Topics