Purchasing an identity?

by ak2000
14 replies
I am facing this issue and thought of this as a solution

In one of my IM niches I would like my persona to be more "real", as in I feel that if visitors would see real-life pictures of this person it would increase the offers' credibility, and eventually sales

I am looking to do this by embedding one or two pics in the sales page and potentially creating a facebook profile

1. I guess the majority will agree that doing this cannot but help?

2. Due to the nature of my full time job I cannot use my actual pictures

So one way of getting around this would be for someone to "sell" me his identity - i.e. sell me a set of pics of him/herself that I could use as image for the marketing offer/facebook profile?

I am considering posting an ad or something to find a willing "seller"..

Name and any other details would still be the ones in the offer and not the ones of the real person, of course

Also, guess that person would have to send me some kind of authorization for me to use the pics

Has anyone tried this?

Hope this makes sense..
#indentity #purchasing
  • Profile picture of the author deu12000
    I haven't done that, but it sounds like it's as simple as going to one of the stock photo sites for example Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos | iStockphoto.com , buying the licensing rights to use the images and just picking someone that has multiple images on the site.

    P.S. Check the site's TOS. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but double check just in case.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2510307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ak2000
      Originally Posted by deu12000 View Post

      I haven't done that, but it sounds like it's as simple as going to one of the stock photo sites for example Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos | iStockphoto.com , buying the licensing rights to use the images and just picking someone that has multiple images on the site.

      P.S. Check the site's TOS. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but double check just in case.
      Thanks deu12000, I've considered istockphoto or the likes but I would need more "home made" pictures, like the ones that anyone would post on facebook

      The ones on istockphotos, etc are very good professional shots...almost too good to seem the ones of an average Joe on the street!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2512579].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mr2monster
      Originally Posted by deu12000 View Post

      I haven't done that, but it sounds like it's as simple as going to one of the stock photo sites for example Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos | iStockphoto.com , buying the licensing rights to use the images and just picking someone that has multiple images on the site.

      P.S. Check the site's TOS. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but double check just in case.

      Most stock photos and their licensing do not cover "spokesperson" usage by default.

      Just a heads up.

      It's often times a whole lot easier to do like the link that Istvan posted.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2513107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Istvan Horvath
    http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post2383504

    That whole thread is worth reading but take a special look at the post I linked to
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2510369].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ak2000
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post2383504

      That whole thread is worth reading but take a special look at the post I linked to
      Thanks Istvan - I've been looking for the post you linked to but can't find it...which post are you referring to specifically?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2513092].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JennSpencerIM
        Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post

        Thanks Istvan - I've been looking for the post you linked to but can't find it...which post are you referring to specifically?
        Its not a post Istvan made but one by Travis that is right there when you click on Istvan's link to the thread.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2513249].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ak2000
          Originally Posted by JennSpencerIM View Post

          Its not a post Istvan made but one by Travis that is right there when you click on Istvan's link to the thread.
          Got it, thanks all
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2514492].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Richard Van
      Originally Posted by Istvan Horvath View Post

      http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post2383504

      That whole thread is worth reading but take a special look at the post I linked to
      Just wanted to thank Istvan for introducing me to that thread. It's taken about 2 hours to go through it but the information it contains is way more than you get in your average 2k guru monthly launch.
      I have literally got a map of exactly where I want to be in 3 months and how to get there, any newbie or struggling marketeer really needs to see this and keeping in relevance with this thread it answers the question perfectly. Craiglist is the way forward for a obtaining a new identity, just read his post about being in the pregnancy niche and the difference it made to him. Thanks Istvan.
      Signature

      Wibble, bark, my old man's a mushroom etc...

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2515036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    I don't think you can use the istock photo photos to endorse a product per their licensing.

    The other problem is that someone else could use the same photo that you pick!

    So, you are better off with your original plan. Could you use a relative or something?

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2512618].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ak2000
      Originally Posted by cashcow View Post

      I don't think you can use the istock photo photos to endorse a product per their licensing.

      The other problem is that someone else could use the same photo that you pick!

      So, you are better off with your original plan. Could you use a relative or something?

      Lee
      Thanks cashcow, I wasn't aware of the licensing issue

      A relative is a great idea, but that would be a bit tricky...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2513082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Xmas
      Originally Posted by cashcow View Post

      I don't think you can use the istock photo photos to endorse a product per their licensing.

      The other problem is that someone else could use the same photo that you pick!

      So, you are better off with your original plan. Could you use a relative or something?

      Lee
      Someone actually used the same picture as me one time.

      I was surfing around looking at some competition for a niche and found a picture of the same guy I was using on another website. Different Niche, but same dudes picture.

      I got it from a free pic site.

      You do have to be careful when using pics of other people.
      Signature

      James Christmas
      www.jameschristmas.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2515169].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thewealthywiseman
    My best guess is CL and $25.00 cash would solve this dilemma.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2512708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ak2000
      Originally Posted by thewealthywiseman View Post

      My best guess is CL and $25.00 cash would solve this dilemma.
      CL = CraigsList?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2513084].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Xmas
    When I need a pseudo name I use fakenamegenerator.com

    Then grab a picture from a free pic site that allows commercial use.
    Signature

    James Christmas
    www.jameschristmas.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2515183].message }}

Trending Topics