I've learned so much here. At the same time it can be discouraging to learn how much I don't know.
So I have a question for article experts out there. And other IM related experts too as I don't know how to classify all my questions.
I've been (finally) looking to write and get great content and articles out there as a means to drive some traffic. And there are a lot of great threads out there. So for the last week I've been diligently studying and making notes from most of the well-known threads.
So first of all, a big thank you to the following: TheRichJerksNet, Alexa Smith, Allen Graves, Alexa Smith, JayXtreme and John McCabe. Those folks have provided incredible roadmaps and more on a few different threads that seem to come up in this area. Not to mention there are many more who have handed over what amounts to be free gold in education, but for now they slip my mind. So thanks to all who contribute so much here.
So. Furious note taking, diet dew and horrible late night infomercials has been my life for the last week as I've been studying and searching awesome threads here. (I almost bought the most pointless , yet cool looking "gravity-defying" ball called the luigi or fuigi ball or something like that...wait, found it...it's "fushigi". *Note to you guys: no matter how much you try you can NOT duplicate those cool stunts with your dog's chew toy. Uh-uh. Totally sucks. Plus you get weird looks from your dog.)
So here are my questions to clear up some leftover thoughts. Basic stuff for most of you.
1) For articles, is it easy to change my resource box for different articles? In the past I've been confused about the bio/resource box and how it seemed (at the time) to be the same for every article. (Maybe they're different?) I have still yet to read the entire downloadable EZA guide. Still reading threads.
2) RSS! Yikes. This is a big one. What the heck do I need to know to understand one, use one, and submit articles/blog posts to one. Any good tutorials? I've read several different "methods" and am not sure what is good for beginners to know. A good, solid non-convoluted approach. My goal in the end is to use them to submit articles on my site first to get them indexed - if I understand it correctly. Which leads me to...
3) Indexing? So I understand I need to get my articles indexed on my site first. But how is that done? There's obviously not an "index" button. Don't laugh. I quickly looked "back when". This seems to have many answers and methods subject to personal preference. If you were new to this like me, what is the most "idiot proof" (Read: someone who almost bought a Fushigi ball) way to do this?
It sounds like posting on Digg does this? And will a brief tour of Digg allow me to get a handle of it for myself?
4) Can anyone recommend a good way to start becoming familiar with Squidoo? A nice tutorial to understand how to use and make the best use of it? Or do I just "jump right in?"
5) Here's a quote from a thread: "Locate my Rss Feeds on the bookmarking sites and scribd and post them to Rss Directories" How do I locate my Rss feed? Am I even asking the right question? Do you think I need to do this?
6) I've seen blogs that display only snippets of posts/articles. Is this the summary that people talk about when referring to posting summaries of your blog? Or do I post a summary myself on another blog that points to my main article on my main blog? What's the plugin (if there is one) on WP that can show only blog summaries/snippets if I want it to?
7) Hub pages. These can help right? Where are they? What hub pages do you suggest I start with?
Those are a lot of questions. And I've looked up a lot, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge assumed on the parts of some of these steps. I'm not completely clueless (despite what my wife says) but I feel like it.
So forgive my ambition in this post - I appreciate your help very much! You don't learn if you don't ask right?