Anyone not in a hurry to make money?

47 replies
I see so many posts about how it can be done quickly. I suppose once you have had a 6 figure month one or more times in your life, you want to do it again. And if you know it is possible, you want to find a way to do it for the first time. To make $100,000 plus in one month is certainly a life changing event. But isn't it more likely that planning and consistent steps forward are more likely to get you there?

For me, if I were starting today, it would be at least a 3-5 year goal to get to $100,000+ in one month. I don't hurry anymore. I just think ahead, and know that I can do it. How about you?
#hurry #make #money
  • Profile picture of the author ExRat
    Hi dvduval,

    I don't hurry anymore. I just think ahead, and know that I can do it. How about you?
    Yep, count me in. Here are my reasons -

    a) because it shows - when you are calm and relaxed about everything, it affects your 'aura' and due to a combination of reasons, this increases your value/worth in the eyes of others - plus it affects how you deliver advice, so others need less convincing in order to follow it

    b) because in my experience, you (generally) can't hurry money. But there is a way to speed it up and it's counter-intuitive - you don't chase it and you do things at your own natural pace - there are reasons why this works that might be beyond the comprehension of many until the day that they stop (irony) and think about it

    c) because my financial aims are less important than my personal/life aims - not least because the only reason I have financial aims in the first place are to advance my life aims. For example, my most important client is also my main tennis partner. When a decision needs to be made regarding work vs competitive tennis, tennis always wins - and that's why we see eye to eye in business

    d) because I 'dare to be different' and the majority of people are running around like headless chickens on a conveyor belt to nowhere. I don't 'dare to be different' just because it's cool, I do it because it works. Contrarianism (generally) works because the majority of people don't even realise that they've been tricked into running on the 'conveyor belt to nowhere' by someone who's cocktail pouring machine is wired up to a dynamo powered by a thousand 'conveyor belts'.

    e) because 'you need a little time for yourself so that you can live' (R.Marley) - if you're too busy to make time to live, you don't live and there are no second chances

    f) I follow the Confucian wisdom - 'the journey is the reward'. If you're travelling so fast that it's impossible to admire the scenery along the way....
    Signature


    Roger Davis

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567215].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theemperor
      Exrat - thanks. Nice to see other people think this way. There is a lot of noise from the "Take Action Action Action / Sleep is for wimps / Do 100 hours a week" camp especially on guru websites, perhaps not so much on WF.

      I think it is important to question why you are doing this. I started off because I wanted to create a cool site that lots of people visited. I then got obsessed with making money, and making it quick. Now I want to get back to the roots of what I enjoyed and let the money flow when it is ready.

      If I create, for example a piece of software and work a bit each week to make it better, and give my customers a great service (or as best as I can) then eventually people will love the product. It may take months to get traction and make a lot of money, but I can think all along the way that I am playing for the long term.

      As an analogy - For months I had a personal pension. I paid in a modest sum. 2 years later i've made 50% profit on what I paid in. I only checked my statement recently! And I didn't obsess about it. I didn't check my statement every month. I had a system and forgot about it and it worked! I need to think of IM a bit like that - it is more like a pension or investment than a get-rich-quick gig. "Slowly slowly catchey monkey", as I once heard on "The Office (UK)".
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567450].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ExRat
        Hi theemperor,

        I need to think of IM a bit like that - it is more like a pension or investment than a get-rich-quick gig.
        Yep. Or alternatively, my approach is to see my career and personal development as totally intertwined - they're one and the same things in many ways (it's important to understand that on this point, 'career' isn't purely financial success.)

        To neglect one in favour of the other is foolish on many levels. If you look at many of the problems that people are having (whether as vendors or customers or simply as human beings) it's often because those two things are completely out of sync.

        What many people miss is that taking time/resources to invest in yourself can directly translate into career rewards. So for example, working too many hours at the wrong point in time can be detrimental across the board - yet as you point out, many are blind-sided by the 'sleep is for wimps' mantra. It's a lie - if you want to be strong (not a wimp) then you should only have respect for nature's laws relating to the mind and body - and their logical/obvious requirements.
        Signature


        Roger Davis

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567552].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ruth P
        Originally Posted by theemperor View Post

        Exrat - thanks. Nice to see other people think this way. There is a lot of noise from the "Take Action Action Action / Sleep is for wimps / Do 100 hours a week" camp especially on guru websites, perhaps not so much on WF.

        I think it is important to question why you are doing this. I started off because I wanted to create a cool site that lots of people visited. I then got obsessed with making money, and making it quick. Now I want to get back to the roots of what I enjoyed and let the money flow when it is ready.
        This is exactly how I feel too. WHY must we work 100 hours a week? Some people who work 100 hours a week on their IM business actually get far less done than those who work just 10. The mentality to earn FAST can quickly learn to overload, and in the end nothing is seen to completion.

        I, too, have just taken a hard look at my business and decided to go back to what matters to me. Wanting everything to come fast certainly wasn't working - of course I wouldn't say no to the money if it was offered, but in reality a long-term, well thought out plan that leaves you time to enjoy life is going to get you a lot further.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567553].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ExRat
          Hi good2go4,

          creating a decent reputation
          If I could add a little extra to this excellent point - what's most important to me in this regard, is the reputation I hold with myself - my opinion of myself. I believe that we project this opinion of ourselves from within and others can pick up on it and adopt it too. Add to that - unless you're dishonest with yourself by default, it's difficult to lie to yourself so the standards you set for yourself will be high and consistent. But once that's accomplished, all focus can be applied to the matter at hand without having to stop and check on ourselves about whether what we are doing is agreeable (to ourselves).

          Hi Ruth P,

          I agree with you, and would add -

          of course I wouldn't say no to the money if it was offered
          ...but if that occurred, the problem is, what to do then? Especially if we happen to follow the mantra 'the journey is the reward.'

          No journey, no reward.

          Something gained that isn't properly earned is usually of no benefit and is often quickly discarded.
          Signature


          Roger Davis

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author good2go4
    I agree with Ex-rat - building a business in the long term for me is more important than a fast dollar (although it would be nice to be surprised with that once in a while, lol) but creating a decent reputation, and spending time with people that counts will always be more important to me than the quick buck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567547].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ruth P
    True but I have bigger plans beyond just the money. One of my goals is to travel, so if I had the money I'd go off travelling and start a new journey

    But you're right, the journey so far (a lot of it was not making money) has been very important, and taught me a lot more than I originally set out to learn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567605].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author socialbookmark
    I think in many cases even after 5 years of working, you can not expect to earn $100,000 per month. Its too much for most businesses. There are many webmasters who started their online business since 2000 but they don't earn thousands of dollars per month.
    So as i think logical, i don't expect to earn thousands of dollars specially at the first months of starting my business and i suggest all people to be like this
    Signature

    I love warriorforum.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567607].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi Ruth P,

      I hope it doesn't sound like I'm arguing! I'm not, I'm just enjoying the conversation and exchange of perspectives -

      One of my goals is to travel, so if I had the money I'd go off travelling and start a new journey
      If someone sent you a donation and said - 'here's the money to go travelling' then I think that there's a possibility that your travels wouldn't be as productive/enjoyable/fulfilling compared to this happening instead -

      • you set your mind on earning the money to be able to afford to go travelling
      • you did what was required, but it wasn't so easy or quick to achieve it
      My point being that although a part of us wants to do the things we really want to do 'right now', we get much more out of the experiences if we have to apply patience, resilience, endeavour and determination in order to achieve them.

      If this natural order of things didn't apply, then there would be absolutely no need (IE no reward) for any of us to develop those abilities - they would be useless - and if that were the case, as a species we would probably never have got this far. (EG Edison's light bulb cliche).
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567633].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theemperor
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        If someone sent you a donation and said - 'here's the money to go travelling' then I think that there's a possibility that your travels wouldn't be as productive/enjoyable/fulfilling compared to this happening instead -

        • you set your mind on earning the money to be able to afford to go travelling
        • you did what was required, but it wasn't so easy or quick to achieve it
        This is why a lottery win is a double edged sword. Loads of money, financial security, but no longer a purpose. I can see how this would lead to depression or addiction.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567797].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by theemperor View Post

          This is why a lottery win is a double edged sword. Loads of money, financial security, but no longer a purpose. I can see how this would lead to depression or addiction.
          You're so right, Martin. You'll probably enjoy this absolutely fascinating bookthis absolutely fascinating book , if you don't know it. (Notice anything interesting/unusual about the very carefully chosen photo on the cover?! )
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567806].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ExRat
            Hi theemperor,

            This is why a lottery win is a double edged sword. Loads of money, financial security, but no longer a purpose. I can see how this would lead to depression or addiction.
            Yep, I pity people who win the lottery, but it's very rare that I find anyone else who either understands why or believes me when I say it. It's far too easy for them to say 'you just say that because you're jealous', a concept which we see a variant of from time to time in here.

            But those I pity more are the ones who get in the way of me buying tobacco at the supermarket who delight in discussing 'what I would do if I won...' - which demonstrates and cements the futility of their existence and their lack of hope/belief in their ability to independently elevate their position in the food chain.

            Hi Alexa,

            Notice anything interesting/unusual about the very carefully chosen photo on the cover?!
            Apart from the new shoes without the price tags removed from the underside?

            I guess you might be referring to the use of the tickets as the backdrop and the centrepiece cheque which appears to suggest that the whole thing is a blatant advertisement for 'the national lottery' which would in turn suggest that their marketing department had 'something' to do with the creation of this book?

            Although one of the reviews hints at the book suggesting that the winners wasted their loot, that subject often leads to the conversation piece - 'if I won, I would do this instead...'

            Or perhaps it's their choice of winners in the photo? Why didn't they choose this guy? Also here and here :-)
            Signature


            Roger Davis

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567855].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
              Banned
              Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

              Apart from the new shoes without the price tags removed from the underside?
              No; I meant that.

              (If/when you read the book, it becomes apparent why he's selected such a photo, which - in a sense - "says it all" ).
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567931].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author ExRat
                Hi Alexa,

                If/when you read the book, it becomes apparent why he's selected such a photo, which - in a sense - "says it all"
                I'm not feeling massively inclined to spend the 1p + postage required to add this 'fascinating' work to my collection, for some reason. I don't suppose you would be so kind as to spell it out for me (us) instead?

                Is it something to do with these people spending their money on shiny new things but in the process becoming so wrapped up in the 'value' of their new things that other more important things (EG idiotic appearance) are forgotten? Or is it just that they end up preferring to accidentally-on-purpose leave the price tags on things?
                Signature


                Roger Davis

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567969].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author theemperor
                Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

                No; I meant that.

                (If/when you read the book, it becomes apparent why he's selected such a photo, which - in a sense - "says it all" ).
                Ah shame I saw the answer before I saw the photo. But it made me curious!

                Perhaps it means that the lottery winners need the price tags to show they are considerably richer, but otherwise the shoes just look the same as anyone else's and it makes no difference to how happy they are. I guess this is the idea behind designer items.

                I enjoyed the Amazon review complaining how biased the book is to pick unhappy lottery winners. The reviewer cited Camelot's statistics (which must be unbiased of course!) saying that most winners were happy.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568215].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
                  Banned
                  Originally Posted by theemperor View Post

                  The reviewer cited Camelot's statistics (which must be unbiased of course!) saying that most winners were happy.
                  I don't doubt it, if you ask them at the right time to produce that "unbiased" information you want for your publicity purposes. Strangely, though, they do seem not to be, collectively, some years later ... :confused:

                  The psychologist Oliver James has rather a lot to say on this subject, too, in this bookthis book .
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568253].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author FredJones
                    I am in no hurry to make money. I love my road and the beautiful landscape around me, and I like to enjoy the taste of every bit of honey and oat that comes into my way.

                    By the time I mature "highly" in IM business, I shall have tasted much more juice than many have, and at the end of my day I shall have some nice memories - things much better than rat races - to go back and remember and enjoy.
                    Signature

                    $1 gold: WSO That Instantly Transforms You Into A Content Production Engine

                    $2.95 GoDaddy .com domains today: Click here.
                    I am offering a free website - get it now (and they offer you a free domain with this).
                    Find high-commission easy Amazon niches within 5 seconds here.

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
    Banned
    Originally Posted by dvduval View Post

    I don't hurry anymore. I just think ahead, and know that I can do it. How about you?
    Exactly my perspective.

    I think that in the field of deriving income from internet marketing (as in so many other aspects of life) it's very easy to overestimate what you can achieve quickly, but perhaps even easier to underestimate what you can achieve slowly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ruth P
    Well I understand your point - an example is when children are brought up having all the money they want. I know people, for example, who have all the money they need from their parents. They could be out there, doing meaningful things and even enriching other people's lives with their money and time, but they actually do pretty much nothing. They have everything given to them yet it doesn't seem to contribute to any sort of meaningful life (and I know they've admitted that they do feel as though they're wasting time).

    NOTE - I know not everyone who already has such an amount of money would act the same.

    My case about the travelling doesn't work out exactly like that, because I have already worked hard for everything that I do have etc. But I'm sure there are more lessons to be learned. And no I don't see you as arguing with me - I think you have a point.

    Things are a lot more rewarding when you work for them and feel like you've achieved something. A lot of lottery winners, who didn't do anything for what they earn, seem to flitter away the money and end up worse than where they started.

    I don't believe that everything in life does have to be hard. I.e. I don't believe I have to struggle to earn that money to go travelling, even though I may well do. This is probably another point entirely, but I believe some people think life has to be hard (much like the thought that you can't sleep if you want to make money in IM!)

    But I do believe patience and setbacks make the journey all the more rewarding, like you just said. Interesting discussion
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567681].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
    My wife has a little saying about "winning" money.

    "Money from the air returns to the air."

    She continues to play the lottery for fun, but never considers it an "investment".
    Signature
    Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cashcow
    I just think ahead, and know that I can do it. How about you?
    and know that I can do it

    I think that's quite important. My feeling is that most people jump from one thing to anther because they automatically think the can't do it.

    They feel like the plan or strategy they are using won't work right from the get to, therefore when they don't become millionaires overnight they jump on to the next thing never giving any one plan enough time to bear fruit.

    Yep, I pity people who win the lottery, but it's very rare that I find anyone else who either understands why or believes me when I say it.
    ExRat - as usual your posts here are thought provoking and interesting. I have a similar view as you.

    Most people want everything NOW but when they get it, they are still unhappy because they have not learned to enjoy the journey.

    Lee
    Signature
    Gone Fishing
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
      An interesting thread. I would like to coin the phrase, "When expecting yourself to only slowly progress, you will find yourself rapidly learning"

      When any of us can narrow our focus to one essential thing at a time, we typically excel. It is when attempting to cram too much into our heads when the system breaks down because we instinctively avoid progress and the mess we made of what was supposed to be so simple.

      This is a point which makes me wonder if you could manipulate a learning course's success rate by simply conveying it is tough to get it all setup in the sales copy instead of saying it is so easy. Let your customers take a challenge instead of push an imaginary easy button, The 30 Day Challenge comes to mind.

      To me it is also kind of funny to ponder how in the beginning, knowing nothing about internet marketing, the draw was the money/work ratio. Perhaps it was just me, but while I was working a different job and began seeing this method or that system for making money online, I actually bought into it and expected to make a million dollars in ten seconds with my eyes closed.

      Then I went through a phase where I was extremely frustrated and pretty much sick and tired of it thinking it was all a pipedream and I got suckered.

      Then, with a small bit of success, my whole mindset changed. Now the focus isn't about how much money in how much time, but only how much of setting up what I know works in how much time. Where can I make the process more efficient or get the same results, be it graphics, writing, or site structure setup in less time. The money is basically irrelevant considering my confidence in putting forth the needed effort to accomplish what I know I need to. After the setup, it sits there and eventually begins to convert, meanwhile I am already doing it again with a new site and the same process.

      How much each individual site actually makes though is not something I have come to be concerned with quite honestly, unless it is zero. I have begun to drift into only creating sites around things I am interested in because I then enjoy the process more, rather then the first few where I spent a lot of time analyzing how much potential they had to make big money. Considering the cost of setting up a site and how one sale a month typically covers that cost, seems logical to not really worry about changing my own personal proven system.

      How though to incorporate that psychology and eventual progression into a product's sales pitch is where my focus has been for awhile now. It is the 64 million dollar question and we all know the competition plays on making it all seem as easy as possible. I think it would make a big difference for a customer to expect a challenge instead of a simple push button scenario but that is what triggers them to buy in the first place.

      I guess it is also pertinent to consider I am a niche site guy setting up affiliate offers to primarily physical products, which in a recent thread is considered to not even be a worthwhile thing to do. I still completely disagree with that and consider myself to be heading up a satisfyingly successful business though.

      Just my random $.02 for today, good thread though!
      Signature
      Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

      Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568515].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
    Originally Posted by dvduval View Post

    I see so many posts about how it can be done quickly. I suppose once you have had a 6 figure month one or more times in your life, you want to do it again. And if you know it is possible, you want to find a way to do it for the first time. To make $100,000 plus in one month is certainly a life changing event. But isn't it more likely that planning and consistent steps forward are more likely to get you there?

    For me, if I were starting today, it would be at least a 3-5 year goal to get to $100,000+ in one month. I don't hurry anymore. I just think ahead, and know that I can do it. How about you?
    I guess so, if that's what YOU want to do.

    Personally, I'll be at the $100k+ per month in appx. 1 and a half
    to 2 years maximum. For me, it IS about making money as fast
    as possible at a STEADY pace.

    It really does depend on 2 things:

    1. YOUR personal goals.
    2. HOW you CHOOSE to reach your goals
    3. If the business model ALLOWS you to reach that goal in
    specified time frame (choose a model that'll help you
    reach your goals quicker)

    I like making money quickly b/c I want the freedom to do what I
    want to do -- now.

    Not 2morrorow. Not 2 years from now. Right. Now.

    And you know what, as radical as most people think my goals are
    my mindset, skills, and business model allows it to happen. If I
    were in the carpet or McDonalds fast food franchise business...it
    would likely take 2x-3x as long rather I liked it or not.

    I see nothing wrong with wanting to hit bigger goals quickly, b/c
    the faster I reach them, the faster I'll be able to accomplish
    other goals I set for myself.
    Signature
    **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568303].message }}
  • There's actually a few things here.

    If you have no money for food, or your rent is due and you are worried about how you are going to make a payment, it is sometimes really hard to see the 'big' picture. While a systematic approach is important, you won't be able to think clearly.

    Once you have your basic necessities taken care of, then it is much easier to take a step back, chart a course, and then achieve greater and grander goals.

    I think a lot of people may fall into category #1. While it sounds fine and dandy to sit down, make a plan, and expect to see some serious income in 3-4 years time, it is really hard when their stomach is grumbling. Plus -- I think in this age of instant gratification, it is really difficult for most to have the disipline, self control and faith to see things through.

    - J
    Signature
    Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi whoisbenjamin,

      I like making money quickly b/c I want the freedom to do what I
      want to do -- now.

      Not 2morrorow. Not 2 years from now. Right. Now.

      {snip}

      If the business model ALLOWS you to reach that goal in
      specified time frame (choose a model that'll help you
      reach your goals quicker)
      You seem to have veered away from the point a little here, I believe.

      dvduval said -

      I don't hurry anymore.
      So if I rang you up and said 'let's play tennis' - what would you say? Would you be too busy to play?

      And how would you perform on the court? Would you be relaxed or hurried?

      If you are choosing a business model based purely on how quickly you can make money, then in my experience it's likely that you will end up unhappy and unfulfilled, plus you're actually lessening your chances of success by not following a path chosen because it 'fits you like a glove'.

      Most of the people I encounter who base their choices on the same criteria as yourself, are actually putting off all of the 'living life' stuff on the basis that they can do all of that stuff once they have zoomed to success - but unfortunately, due to the above-mentioned problems, they never get there and spend all of their time on the 'conveyor-belt' referenced above.

      I take the path I do and don't hurry down it for the same reasons as you do the opposite -

      I want the freedom to do what I want to do -- now.
      But I guess you are saying that money buys you that freedom, whereas I am saying that the pursuit of money at a fast pace denies that freedom.

      Hi InternetSuccess001,

      While it sounds fine and dandy to sit down, make a plan, and expect to see some serious income in 3-4 years time, it is really hard when their stomach is grumbling.
      I've actually found the opposite to that point - when my stomach is grumbling, the wolves are right outside the door etc - I'm at my most alert, alive, focussed and capable.

      When the bank account is fat, I start to resemble the bank account.
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568501].message }}
      • Hi ExRat,

        1. Re: the tennis, actually if you called and rang, I'd say sure, where?
        I'd be relaxed, but I'd probably win too (I happen to like to tennis, but perhaps you are quite good).

        2. Re: being focused, when you are hungry, etc -- you are correct -- but I'm saying most people when they are that hungry want it "NOW", and don't have the patience or clarity to think long term. And so while it is good they take action -- many get stuck in the conveyor belt mentality because they don't really ever lift themselves up to think longer term -- it is what can you get 'NOW'...

        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi whoisbenjamin,



        You seem to have veered away from the point a little here, I believe.

        dvduval said -



        So if I rang you up and said 'let's play tennis' - what would you say? Would you be too busy to play?

        And how would you perform on the court? Would you be relaxed or hurried?

        If you are choosing a business model based purely on how quickly you can make money, then in my experience it's likely that you will end up unhappy and unfulfilled, plus you're actually lessening your chances of success by not following a path chosen because it 'fits you like a glove'.

        Most of the people I encounter who base their choices on the same criteria as yourself, are actually putting off all of the 'living life' stuff on the basis that they can do all of that stuff once they have zoomed to success - but unfortunately, due to the above-mentioned problems, they never get there and spend all of their time on the 'conveyor-belt' referenced above.

        I take the path I do and don't hurry down it for the same reasons as you do the opposite -



        But I guess you are saying that money buys you that freedom, whereas I am saying that the pursuit of money at a fast pace denies that freedom.

        Hi InternetSuccess001,



        I've actually found the opposite to that point - when my stomach is grumbling, the wolves are right outside the door etc - I'm at my most alert, alive, focussed and capable.

        When the bank account is fat, I start to resemble the bank account.
        Signature
        Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568654].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joe Benjamin
        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi whoisbenjamin,



        You seem to have veered away from the point a little here, I believe.

        dvduval said -



        So if I rang you up and said 'let's play tennis' - what would you say? Would you be too busy to play?

        And how would you perform on the court? Would you be relaxed or hurried?

        If you are choosing a business model based purely on how quickly you can make money, then in my experience it's likely that you will end up unhappy and unfulfilled, plus you're actually lessening your chances of success by not following a path chosen because it 'fits you like a glove'.

        Most of the people I encounter who base their choices on the same criteria as yourself, are actually putting off all of the 'living life' stuff on the basis that they can do all of that stuff once they have zoomed to success - but unfortunately, due to the above-mentioned problems, they never get there and spend all of their time on the 'conveyor-belt' referenced above.

        I take the path I do and don't hurry down it for the same reasons as you do the opposite -



        But I guess you are saying that money buys you that freedom, whereas I am saying that the pursuit of money at a fast pace denies that freedom.

        Hi InternetSuccess001,



        I've actually found the opposite to that point - when my stomach is grumbling, the wolves are right outside the door etc - I'm at my most alert, alive, focussed and capable.

        When the bank account is fat, I start to resemble the bank account.
        I respect your reasoning for NOT wanting to make money
        quickly, because I respect the beauty of "choice" (and I
        know you do as well)

        However, in this situation there is no "right or wrong" way
        to approach making money. Besides, the speed of making
        money is RELATIVE.

        MY definition of making money quickly might be TOO fast
        to you, but not fast enough for the uber wealthy who are
        used to making billions of dollars a year.

        I looked at the question of the OP and it reads:

        But isn't it more likely that planning and consistent
        steps forward are more likely to get you there?


        if I were starting today, it would be at least a 3-5
        year goal to get to $100,000+ in one month. I don't
        hurry anymore. I just think ahead, and know that I
        can do it. How about you?


        Can you see how this question is subjective to the person
        SETTING the goal? He's assuming 3-5 years is "not being
        in a hurry", but most people wouldn't dream of that kind
        of income in one MONTH in their lifetime.

        As far as choosing your passion...

        Yes. No doubt. You SHOULD pursue your passion, but if
        your passion has little to no chance of making you money
        to live the lifestyle you WANT to live, there is nothing
        wrong with finding a business you are "passionate about"
        that DOES make you money while still pursuing other
        passions.

        In other words, if your passion isn't making you money &
        you're struggling to pay the bills, it's a hobby. Period.


        What I do IS my passion. I've failed twice before success
        doing what I do, and still got up to do it again. If it were
        just for financial reasons, I would have thrown in the towel
        earlier.

        But being AWARE of the financial rewards and pursuing it
        is NOT a "bad thing". Most actors KNOW the financial
        rewards that comes with blockbusters...does that make
        them LESS passionate for pursuing it because there are
        20 million dollar paychecks involved?

        No. It gives them the MEANS to do MORE of what they love
        to do, and that's acting. Acting in smaller roles. Acting in
        more bigger roles sharing their gift.

        It's a business that clicks...for me, and may not for others.

        Finally...

        You say the "pursuit of money at a fast pace denies freedom",
        and I respectively disagree as someone who has had NO
        money to being financially satisfied.

        The logic is that pursuing making money "slowly" gives you
        more freedom...try telling that to a sales clerk with a mort-
        gage and a baby to feed if they would trade their "slow pace"
        paycheck for a "fast track" paycheck.

        Finally (seriously this time), you said this...

        when my stomach is grumbling, the wolves are right
        outside the door etc - I'm at my most alert, alive,
        focussed and capable.

        When the bank account is fat, I start to resemble the
        bank account.


        In other words, you claim to feel BEST when you deprive
        yourself of what money can do to prevent hunger...

        but would you feel the same way if your family's stomach is
        growling and you have no choice but to feed them biscuits
        and 1 year old tuna, and stale potatoes?

        I don't understand why someone would feel "regret" from
        having money in their account (lots of it), but it just goes
        to show how you REALLY feel about money...and that is
        what prevents you from having much (if any) of it, today.
        (assuming based on your words).

        Some people get pleasure out of depriving themselves of
        the finer things in life...and that's your choice, but it doesn't
        make you any more or less a "saint" by choosing to make
        money slowly, or making money ... at all.

        This post is long enough, lol. And this is NOT an attack, just
        an observation and a response. It's interesting to see how
        others think.
        Signature
        **How I FLIPPED $80 into $690 Pure Profit With ONE EASY Method...2 to 3x Per Week...Only 30 Minutes Per Day (and how YOU can COPY my RESULTS, too!) **CLICK HERE FOR VERIFIED VIDEO PROOF**
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2589276].message }}
  • pps --

    there is a chinese saying, something along the lines of 'don't chase fast money'. In other words, the quick money is very hard to get.
    Signature
    Pick a product. Pick ANY product! -> 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author EricThor
      This industry is probably just like the "Make a billion dollars tomorrow in the commodities market" investment industry.

      Many folks in the investing industry and this industry make lots of money "Mining the miners" - selling all kinds of advice, service, and gizmos to folks not making any money in the industry.

      As far as I can see Google supplies all the tools you need and there are free products and services will get you rolling. Spending money on gurus who are good at "mining the miners" will simply empty your wallet and demoralize you.

      Don't ask me for the free products, services, and Google tools that help you do this - you need to put in sweat equity and stop relying on folks offering easy solutions to hard work. If you don't work 14 - 16 hours a day learning and doing then you will never make it in this industry or any other industry.

      So stop looking for fast and easy fixes for $7 - if they worked in the first place that person would never sell them for $7 for for $70,000. I have bought many of these "Get rich by being lazy" products and only one of them is what I use on a daily basis - its a program to make spinning an article as easy to do as using a word processor.

      Best of luck and I won't comment any further on this topic.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Goatboy
    I have started more than one business in my life, and every time I have found that no matter how hard I want to work, it still takes time. Sometimes it is a matter of a few months, and sometimes it is a matter of years.

    I would rather build slowly and know that my base is well grounded than build quickly and only discover later that I built over a sinkhole.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Anna_O
    I'm always eager for the next phase in life (my mom used to say that I was going to "can't wait" my life away because I never enjoy where I am now). That being said, I'm on a 2-year plan for my Internet marketing success - hoping to replace my FT job income in 2 years. If I can't do it in 2 years . . . well, I hope to at least have a good supplemental income for the amount of time that I'm able to dedicate.

    I have to hold myself back from being in too much of a hurry. It's not that I want instant money, but I'm ready for the next phase of my life and to no longer have the 8-6 job responsibilities anymore.

    Best,
    Anna
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569375].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    It takes real focus and dedication to reach goals like these, and you need to stay away from bright, shiny objects (which is a given). There can be no wavering or jumping from one thing to the next if you want to achieve a lofty goal like this, it takes persistence and tenacity to hang in there since things will not always go your way during the entire process. In addition to that, you have to determine whether your business model will actually support the financial goals you have in mind; you really have to ensure that it is sustainable and actually possible to reach those goals with it - i.e. it's highly unlikely you'll get to the six figure per month mark selling cheap information products priced at $30 or less, so you really need to ensure your business model is in alignment with your financial goals.
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    Great to hear from so many people about this. I think I touched on a nerve. And thanks for everyone's response. I have read much of this thread now.

    I have developed some great relationships over the years. Some customers who started out with small stuff at first moved on to provide me with thousands of dollars of business, and increasingly I have more and more what I would call "developed customers". In many cases I don't worry about competition for these types of people, because they have come to trust in me, and we have developed systems or procedures for how we work together that are valuable to both of us.

    Also, many of our customers resell our services or products, and have confidence in a continuing relationship that is driven by continuing financial successes as a result of us working together.

    Then there is that occasional customer that isn't worth just thousands, but tens of thousands over the course of a year. This is not something that came overnight. I remember working on $20 jobs, and $100 jobs that took me several hours to complete. I wasn't making much then, but I knew that I was developing something that would attract much more. Now there is an increasing possibility of hitting that $100,000 month as a result of the right combination of customers bringing in business.

    This is not something that I take lightly, and I still work 7 days most weeks, but I truly enjoy working with people and seeing them grow as I grow. I also have learned that I can't be an expert in everything, and the real secret is knowing people that are experts in varying areas, and then treating them right by sharing in the profits.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dean Jackson
    I personally think its a requirement to start earning as much money as possible, in the shortest possible time.

    Why?

    The internet is changing very, very fast and if you don't move your ass you will get kicked to the side by bigger and better names on the market. With that said, I don't rush, I just use my time as wisely as possible.

    For example, if I suck at graphics, then I won't spend days trying to figure out how to do it on photoshop, i'll just get someone to do it. Too many people try to wear so many hats its not even funny. It leads to burnout and demotivation (I tried this when I was 16, I know lol).

    But now that I have money to spend to outsource services I can rapidly be increasing my time doing things that earn me the most income. I can foresee 6 figure months within a year or 2 if I keep up the pace.

    There are always setbacks, but I think people should learn to leverage things as much as possible to fast track their progress.

    I will say this: I AM guilty of avoiding friends and family because i'm too busy staring out into cyber space and pushing buttons here and there.My business is earning money every day, but it's not at the level i'm happy with.

    How should I get over it? I am trying very hard to get out of the rat race.

    - Dean
    Signature
    NEW: CRAZIEST Copywriting offer ever offered on WF
    My top student WILL make your sales go BANANAS!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588006].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ExRat
      Hi Dean,

      How should I get over it?
      I think you answered your own question -

      I personally think its a requirement to start earning as much money as possible, in the shortest possible time.
      I AM guilty of avoiding friends and family because i'm too busy staring out into cyber space and pushing buttons here and there.My business is earning money every day, but it's not at the level i'm happy with.
      The second (factual) quote is incongruent with the first. To change the second, you need to change the first, first.

      Perhaps you should consider this statement (which was given as an explanation for the first quote, above) -

      The internet is changing very, very fast and if you don't move your ass you will get kicked to the side by bigger and better names on the market.
      ...and question it's validity and how you arrived at that conclusion.

      I also find it odd that you give this example to make your point -

      For example, if I suck at graphics, then I won't spend days trying to figure out how to do it on photoshop, i'll just get someone to do it. Too many people try to wear so many hats its not even funny. It leads to burnout and demotivation (I tried this when I was 16, I know lol).
      and the next thing I see is this thread.

      Obviously, I'm not suggesting that all marketers should create their own graphics from scratch. But in the thread you say -

      I have searched high and low but can't really find anything.
      You 'won't spend days trying to figure it out', but you'll 'search high and low' to find someone who has so that you can pay them for the exact same stuff that's being used by everyone else, yet you'll never develop the skills needed to personalise the graphics yourself - easy and quick once you 'spend a few days on it' learning the basics.

      Do you not think that you managed to highlight there, the downside of being in such a rush to 'start earning as much money as possible, in the shortest possible time'?
      Signature


      Roger Davis

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588101].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dean Jackson
        I need a graphics pack for a website i'm working on which is going to be offering tools to marketers. They are not for myself, just as a resource for other marketers who haven't achieved "lift-off" yet.

        Further clarification: im bipolar

        Just kidding, but what I meant by those statements is that I want my business to pan out fast. There are many factors that go into my "The internet is changing fast" comment.

        For example, Google Instant - We don't know how that's going to affect PPC in the near future (not an expert on this, just something I heard marketers were concerned about).

        Another example, Googles constantly changing algorithms. What if your entire business was built around a keyword, only to have it drop off into some cyberspace black hole?

        Ebooks from just a few years ago can now be considered useless junk, which is how I arrived at the conclusion that its a requirement.

        And there is my problem, I am in such a rush to get projects complete that I avoid other responsibilities. I'm just a hard worker .

        - Dean



        Originally Posted by ExRat View Post

        Hi Dean,

        I think you answered your own question -

        The second (factual) quote is incongruent with the first. To change the second, you need to change the first, first.

        Perhaps you should consider this statement (which was given as an explanation for the first quote, above) -

        ...and question it's validity and how you arrived at that conclusion.

        I also find it odd that you give this example to make your point -

        and the next thing I see is this thread.

        Obviously, I'm not suggesting that all marketers should create their own graphics from scratch. But in the thread you say -

        You 'won't spend days trying to figure it out', but you'll 'search high and low' to find someone who has so that you can pay them for the exact same stuff that's being used by everyone else, yet you'll never develop the skills needed to personalise the graphics yourself - easy and quick once you 'spend a few days on it' learning the basics.

        Do you not think that you managed to highlight there, the downside of being in such a rush to 'start earning as much money as possible, in the shortest possible time'?
        Signature
        NEW: CRAZIEST Copywriting offer ever offered on WF
        My top student WILL make your sales go BANANAS!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2590929].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author barbling
    I'm not in a hurry. I view making money online as putting in your time to get all the groundwork done and all the autopilot things in action....and then building upon that framework day by day.

    In other words, I'd love to build a mansion in under a day. Fact is, however, I would want said mansion to last a lifetime...and THAT does require time and effort and attention to details.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588110].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grimmace
    How long did it take for the 'gurus' to make $100k in a month from nothing? Would be interested to hear. Personally, I too am looking at this long term with my fist goal to replace my income!
    Signature

    Hate Coldsores? Get rid of a coldsore faster, naturally and with less effort
    http://bit.ly/coldsoreridnow

    www.secretaffiliateguru.com
    'It's all about making money online!'

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I am not in a hurry to make big money, in fact I have no immediately plans at present.

    But I am in a hurry to make money that will support my household expenses.

    I don't think I can take the risk of having no income for 3 to 5 years and then hope that the money will suddenly come in. I agree with Dean Jackson, the Internet is changing so fast that you cannot be sure of what will or will not happen in 3 to 5 years.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588215].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author inter123
      I am in a hurry because as you get older things become harder and at a ripe old age there are things one cannot no matter how much is in the wallet.

      If I was 18 then yes I don't mind taking the time to get there. I am 30something, I know it will be more difficult in the 40s, 50s, 60s and so on. It become difficult to learn new tricks and often you find 'older' folks with health issues not seen with youngsters.

      It is better to get there soon rather then later but eveyone is entitled to do as pleased.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author moneyblogger1
    I think real business people understand that it takes time. I have a goal to replace my income which is about 3, 000 a month net by the summer of 2012. I figure that even if I am making money I will still need to re-invest it to make it work.

    Reaching success in business is more about changing YOU then it is anthing else.
    Signature

    Suck a video? Hate creating them? Let us do it for you. Get a custom video for 1/10th the industry standard price: http://www.angulusmarketing.com/Video.html

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588276].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
      The issue with trying to make money in a hurry, is you are likely to set up business and do things in such a way that the foundation is very weak from the outset.

      While you may have some short term success, because the foundation is weak it usually won't last.

      It reminds me some of these so called auto tools sold to newbies which try to game the search engines etc to get you quick results, yes you may make some money quickly but it is only a matter of time before you are banned, because by taking a short cut you have a weak and risky foundation to start with.

      Often taking your time, building a solid foundation for your business and doing things properly is far more beneficial (and profitable) in the long run.
      Signature
      'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
    I find the best setup is where you have the best of both worlds....Deliver value today whether it be from a job or freelancing to make some upfront money while at the same taking some of your discretionary time (sleep, TV, etc.) and use that time to build a long term business which will ultimately develop into VERY NICE long-term income.

    You can easily carve out chunks of time out of your day to work on your long-term model while you use the rest of your day trading your time for money.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PaulintheSticks
    Well, when you're like me and have multiple businesses that have long term roi's and you're trying to survive, you might want to find something on the side to make some quick cash.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2588989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author richgrad
    Think long term instead of short term...

    And not everything is about money...

    I have direct advertisers approaching me with lucrative deals to feature their ads on my blog(s) but I screen most of them out because they're either completely irrelevant or destructive for my blog(s) in the long term... Eg... An advertiser tried to convince me to put a viagra ad on my personal development blog... They offered good money but I turned them down.

    Eben Pagan puts it best... (I'm paraphrasing because I don't recall the exact quote but it goes something like this...) The short term results you get are usually opposite to your long term results...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2591093].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatriciaJ
    I'm not in a hurry because I enjoy what I am doing and want to build a solid business that will last and finance a fun retirement. I like to experiment and learn about new things and am quite content as long as my sales and earnings increase steadily every month.

    However, I realise that I might not feel that way if my finances were different and I depended upon the Internet for a living.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2591143].message }}

Trending Topics