here's why the gurus make $$$ and you don't

41 replies
if there's one difference between the successful and
the majority of folks trying to "make it" on the Internet,
it's this:

the gurus FOCUS:

F ollow
O ne
C ourse
U ntil
S uccessful

Easier said than done, I know.

Check out this video where you'll discover the one big
secret that makes the difference between you being
at "guru" income level and continuing to struggle:
(and if you've ever bought a course and not done
anything with it, you MUST watch this video!)


have fun

Veit

PS: if you want to know more, check out my signature
#$$$ #gurus #make
  • Profile picture of the author kelana
    Good post and video Veit...

    You're quite right about focusing on one thing (not only a course, could be anything) at a time. If you start something, then apply yourself exclusively to it until finished. Too many people give up if the going gets tough, and move on to the next 'shiny object'...and achieve nothing in the process.*

    Cheers - Keith

    * I've been guilty of this myself, in the past
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author abdul786
    Veit.. Thumbs up for the explanation of "Focus".

    I also have bookmarked your website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JustinDupre
    Nice post. It's very important to focus and have a clear picture on what your doing. Prioritizing and managing workload time is probably one of the biggest challenge for me.
    Signature
    I offer CPA coaching and investment opportunities for those SERIOUSLY interested in making money directly or indirectly with affiliate marketing. PM me for details.


    Read More about CPA/Affiliate Marketing on my Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2567928].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    Hey Veit

    I enjoyed your video - both content and style.

    Very refreshing actually.

    I'm looking forward to the next one

    Cheers,

    Neil
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568236].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      The reason the 'gurus' make so much money is because they sell products to an identified hungry market of people about how to make money. Whether or not they have actually been successful implementing their own "systems" or not I am sure varies greatly dependent upon the guru. Huge money can be found in product creation, however, many don't have the knowledge, skill, or patience to pull it off.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568266].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fantasyzer
        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        Huge money can be found in product creation, however, many don't have the knowledge, skill, or patience to pull it off.
        I'm in for that...actually I tried to bring a product on the market of which I made an electronic functional prototype...BUT as no company was interested in supporting me, nor financially, nor with knowledge I was not able to bring this product to the next step. What are you suggesting? (Sorry if this is off topic)
        Signature
        Must have gadget: a Mini RC Helicopter (warning: high level of addictiveness)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568282].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ElMundodelExito
          Originally Posted by fantasyzer View Post

          I'm in for that...actually I tried to bring a product on the market of which I made an electronic functional prototype...BUT as no company was interested in supporting me, nor financially, nor with knowledge I was not able to bring this product to the next step. What are you suggesting? (Sorry if this is off topic)
          You should open a new thread asking that question.

          Great Video VeitSchenk I really like it.
          Signature

          I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed. And the number of times I succeed Is in direct proportion to the number of times I can fail and keep trying.
          Want to enter the Spanish market? Let me build your site, graphics, articles, free consultation!. Just PM me

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568405].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author malcsimm
        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        The reason the 'gurus' make so much money is because they sell products to an identified hungry market of people about how to make money. Whether or not they have actually been successful implementing their own "systems" or not I am sure varies greatly dependent upon the guru. Huge money can be found in product creation, however, many don't have the knowledge, skill, or patience to pull it off.
        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        The reason the 'gurus' make so much money is because they sell products to an identified hungry market of people about how to make money. Whether or not they have actually been successful implementing their own "systems" or not I am sure varies greatly dependent upon the guru. Huge money can be found in product creation, however, many don't have the knowledge, skill, or patience to pull it off.
        Copy that. Many 'gurus' are cynical and identify a need and then create a product - which they do not use themselves - to fulfill that need. Then they sell it to their list, and get their pals to knock it out too, and coin it in. £ka-ching£. Then when their mates do the same, they support their mates and it goes around.

        It's a sorry state when you take advantage of those who know less to make your coin.

        The 'gurus' know that 50% of purchasers won't even open the product. It's true - I have been on the inside and seen it.

        It's a tough old world out there. Be careful b4 flashing that (cc or pp) :-|

        And stay happy ;-)
        Signature

        You WILL banish # Procrastination, # Email bloat, # Wasting time, # Wasting money
        Getting Things Done PLUS Evernote turned my life around - read here how I do it
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569694].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Neil Morgan
    ...and by the way, I found your "Oh, I've got a PhD in brain..." comment a master stroke, just at the point when people may be thinking "Who IS this guy?"!

    A new star is born
    Signature

    Easy email marketing automation without moving your lists.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568257].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dbarnum
    Great "junkie" description! So get out of your comfort zone, find a better "comfort" substitute, one that's successful instead, and finally get ahead.


    - One main thing, though, at least with your model here - - understand the basics of what you are purchasing before you dive in and invest in it. Too often, sales letters may make things sounds fast and easy, when they are not. Example:

    Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

    The reason the 'gurus' make so much money is because they sell products to an identified hungry market of people about how to make money. Whether or not they have actually been successful implementing their own "systems" or not I am sure varies greatly dependent upon the guru. Huge money can be found in product creation, however, many don't have the knowledge, skill, or patience to pull it off.

    So at least go over the basics: outline, cost (costs including time costs, money costs, resources / people costs) factors, etc. for a thorough evaluation before you sign on the dotted line.

    - Another main thing: once you do commit, tackle challenges with help from multiple sources. The seller may not be the exact same type of person you are (i.e. he or she may have a different mind set), so his or her tools may not win battles over your tigers. You may need to adjust or sharpen your own better tools, then charge ahead and conquer the beast. Stay the main course goals, though, to meet your successful end results.
    Signature




    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568325].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author x3xsolxdierx3x
      But, isn't this exactly the tactic that many people use to get people to best hand over there money for a product in the first place? Think about all the wording that is integrated into sales letters intentionally....

      The truth of the matter is that if a online marketer, nowadays, resorts to NOT using that wording, they have to bring something incredibly exceptional to the table in order to compensate....Conveying logic and rationality doesn't quite seem to be as effective as hitting emotional triggers... (hope that made sense)

      Originally Posted by dbarnum View Post

      Great "junkie" description! So get out of your comfort zone, find a better "comfort" substitute, one that's successful instead, and finally get ahead.


      - One main thing, though, at least with your model here - - understand the basics of what you are purchasing before you dive in and invest in it. Too often, sales letters may make things sounds fast and easy, when they are not. Example:




      So at least go over the basics: outline, cost (costs including time costs, money costs, resources / people costs) factors, etc. for a thorough evaluation before you sign on the dotted line.

      - Another main thing: once you do commit, tackle challenges with help from multiple sources. The seller may not be the exact same type of person you are (i.e. he or she may have a different mind set), so his or her tools may not win battles over your tigers. You may need to adjust or sharpen your own better tools, then charge ahead and conquer the beast. Stay the main course goals, though, to meet your successful end results.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568437].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author VeitSchenk
        Hey there,

        yep, that's why people show pictures of cars, yachts, big houses etc.
        straight past logic to the 'lemon squeeze'-based grandiose success fantasy.

        But, even when you don't use those tactics, if you have (demonstrably) reasonable success online and sell products using mainly logic, simply by association (you==success, therefore your product==success) your HAAMS will start doing the same old trick to reduce stress:

        buy course now, it's a proven tactic!

        like the comment above says: before you buy, make some logical pro-cons analysis and hope that you can overcome the power of the brainstem.

        (based on logic, probably only 3% of the people on the forum need to buy yet another course, the rest have all they need to get going and make a decent living online)

        Cheers

        Veit

        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        But, isn't this exactly the tactic that many people use to get people to best hand over there money for a product in the first place? Think about all the wording that is integrated into sales letters intentionally....

        The truth of the matter is that if a online marketer, nowadays, resorts to NOT using that wording, they have to bring something incredibly exceptional to the table in order to compensate....Conveying logic and rationality doesn't quite seem to be as effective as hitting emotional triggers... (hope that made sense)
        Signature

        Connect with me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/veitschenk

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568475].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fantasyzer
        Originally Posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post

        ...Conveying logic and rationality doesn't quite seem to be as effective as hitting emotional triggers... (hope that made sense)
        I think it does...for example the emotion joy: if someone wants to get this it might help to buy a mini RC helicopter...

        I opened up a new thread on the new product thingy: http://www.warriorforum.com/main-int...ml#post2569910
        Signature
        Must have gadget: a Mini RC Helicopter (warning: high level of addictiveness)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DogScout
    Another reason some 'gurus' make 'stupid' money seems to be they are in 'trade unions' and schedule launches, and engage in other Ricco Act collusions. (According to a video I saw from one well known 'guru', that outlined 8 Ricco violations IF he was actually doing what he was suggesting others do!)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author troy23
    x3xsolxdierx3x is correct. These so called gurus would never offer their services to take you by the hand and prove their claims. Their money is made by selling money making products which some are gullible to believe.

    There are only a few things you need to know to make money online, but many are looking for the next Twitter system, Facebook secret etc which the gurus are only too willing to supply.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xxxJamesxxx
    Thanks for that, really enjoyed the content and found it really refreshing (and enlightening)

    Thanks

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568748].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RobynRed
      I really enjoyed the video Veit. You know you need hear the same thing discussed in different ways with different examples to finally find one that resonates with you ... this video was like that for me

      Really appreciate, looking forward to more!
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    Gurus... ha.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2568812].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamjohnathan
    Great video, I hope there is more to come.

    Johnathan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author goingup
    Brilliant-and sort of funny.
    Lets just say i seem to have met a lot of sabre tooths.
    I have been asking myself what my problem is given the fact that im actually
    a very intelligent person-in this area i actually feel incompetant and i dont like that.
    Looking forward to the next video, and hope to break through.
    Signature

    Only dead fish go with the flow.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569424].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Super Affiliate
    I felt bombarded by so many projects I was doing and it was quite refreshing. Thanks for the video, Veit. : )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by VeitSchenk View Post

    the gurus FOCUS
    I actually take some issue with this idea.

    The gurus do not come out of the gate and focus.

    They start out just like we all do: they're confused and all over the place.

    Focus doesn't just happen. It's a process.

    That process involves throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks...

    Stopping every so often to ask why that stuff sticks.

    That's the step that loses people, and that's what focus means. You snap a few pictures, you look at the results, and you focus.

    Eventually the indistinct blob of "make money online" turns into something coherent - sharper, crisper, more distinctive.

    You look at the big names in IM, and all of them have made their name in the IM niche. But Frank Kern is all about niche markets, and Jeff Walker is all about product launches, and John Reese is all about traffic... their business models may all be "big ticket IM products," but they have patterns to those products.

    Similarly, Bill Gates made his money in software, Steve Jobs made his money in hardware, and Donald Trump made his money in commercial real estate. They're all rich from "big business." But big business is not all the same thing - and when you look at the Fortune 500, there are a lot of different kinds of companies.

    McAfee and Adobe might both be in the software business, but they're not competitors. They each have their own niche. McAfee isn't going to produce a PhotoShop clone, and Adobe isn't going to start selling antivirus software.

    That's what focusing really means. Like security, it's a process, not a product: if you don't focus every few steps, you'll lose focus, and your business starts getting blurry.

    And that blur is where companies stand the greatest risk of going bankrupt.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569915].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author IMStudentforlife
      Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

      McAfee isn't going to produce a PhotoShop clone,
      OMG I hope not!!!!

      Seriously thou, I do see what you're saying though is about tweaking & testing. These Guru$ have the time and luxury to do just that, they're not worried about rent or what have you..

      I was taking it as Veit was just oversimplifying things.. Just to make a point. (not that I am speaking for him at all, just my own personal take.)

      The other thing I have found is "Time Thieves" or "Time Vampires" (what I call them). Friends or Family or Neighbors anyone who wants to chit chat can be a Time Thief to take away from your concentration on your job.

      My point is there are so many different ways that others can steal your F.O.C.U.S. So to identify the problem and find a solution, and move on! That's what I took away from his video.
      Signature
      Old School SEO and IM, 1MediaZone

      Running low on inspiration?
      The Strangest Secret in the World
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2569977].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Marty S
        A few months back Veit Schenk showed me some rather important psychological concepts that have essentially re-engineered my daily activities.

        I am not about to split hairs here about what the Gurus FOCUS on or not :rolleyes:, but I do know that Veit knows what he is talking about, because a lot of the content inside BKP hit home for me in a rather profound way.

        In the end it doesn't really matter who YOU think can FOCUS or not, because FOCUS (or drive) is a by-product of discovering why YOU don't have it in the first place. I don't know if any GURUS have it or not, but I do know they tend to produce more than I do.

        I thought I could will-power my way through procrastination challenges before, but honestly Veit showed me why that thinking is so totally inept, and in fact contributes to a vicious cycle somewhat like he described in the video. If FOCUS is the key word here, then I am doing better than ever thanks to BKP, but I still have a ways to go.

        Thanks for the funny video Veit "Sh#t, I better get out of here." LoL.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571395].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
          Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

          A few months back Veit Schenk showed me some rather important psychological concepts that have essentially re-engineered my daily activities.
          Oh, I'm not in any way trying to put Veit down. I just think there's a pitfall in the idea of FOCUS being something you do once and then it's done. It's this ongoing thing, where you drill down, then focus, then drill down, then focus. The gurus are out there all the time trying new things, throwing out what doesn't work, and focusing in on what does.

          The process he describes in the video is very real, there's no question about it. However, there's no real discussion here of how to transcend or alter that. The F.O.C.U.S. acronym is useful, and catchy, and a great idea... but what's actually happening here is a lack of granularity.

          When you think about it, the raw "Follow One Course Until Successful" method creates exactly the problem he describes. You bang your head against the wall until it really hurts and you don't want to do it anymore. Then you look back and say "the last time this happened, I went and found a new wall to bang my head against." So you go looking for a new wall.

          The real problem isn't that you were banging your head against the wall. It's that you were banging your head against the wall too long. "Follow One Course Until Successful" = "Bang Head On Wall Till It Breaks."

          What you have to do (and is undoubtedly among the things Veit covers in his course) is stop banging your head against the wall FREQUENTLY and say "am I banging my head against this wall right?"

          Look at PPC jockeys.

          The failures started a campaign and poured money into it until they ran out.

          The successes started a campaign and poured a little money in. If it didn't make a profit, they threw it out and tried a new one.

          The MAJOR successes started fifty campaigns, poured a little money in each of them, and threw out the ones that didn't work until they were pouring all their money into just a few winning campaigns.

          And look at what happened with the failures: the more money they poured into that one campaign, their excitement went down and their anxiety went up. When they finally looked back, they had this massive change, and they had to make a massive change in response. So they said "this stuff doesn't work" and went to go bang their head on a different wall.

          Even the successes: every time a campaign failed, their excitement went down and their anxiety went up. But when they got a success, their excitement went up (and their anxiety went down) a LOT. And this happened frequently enough that they never got tired of banging their head against the wall. It never really hurt that much. But still, it did hurt.

          And the guy with fifty campaigns? He never has a pure failure. If the success was testing a campaign every week, it would take him almost a YEAR to find out what the guy with fifty campaigns knows in just one week - which campaigns work, and which campaigns don't. Instead of banging his head against the wall, he dropped Tony Stark's Jericho missile on the damn thing and watched it crumble.

          Who cares that most of the wall is still standing? Look at all those holes!

          But if the guy with fifty campaigns just sat there and left them all running, like the guy with just one did, he'll run out of money faster because he's not dumping the losers. What both of the successful guys are doing is simply identifying and dumping the losing strategies. And the faster you do it, the better off you are.

          What makes the FOCUS acronym so dangerous is not really understanding what the C stands for. Follow One Course Until Successful. What is a course? How do we define it? Is it one product? One method? One mechanism? Because if your "course" is too small, you could be on a loser that's not going to be successful no matter how focused you are. Your course must allow for success.

          Not all roads lead to Rome... and it's worth checking to see if they're paved with good intentions.
          Signature
          "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571503].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author VeitSchenk
            Hey, thanks for the great feedback.

            as Marty says, for me that's the crazy thing: you keep hearing from
            the gurus that you "clearly didn't have the willpower, the focus, the
            desire & motivation" because, well, you have access to the same
            tools as they do, and still you're not making it.

            And that, as the video attempts to show, is completely wrong.
            There is a completely different, entirely natural and originally
            very useful mechanism at work: it helps you survive.
            The problem is that the brainstem is a rather old structure
            and just isn't familiar with modern-day stress/stressors.
            So, it's trying to do the right thing (get you outta there),
            but in the process actually throws you off your chosen path.

            Originally Posted by Marty S

            I thought I could will-power my way through procrastination challenges before, but honestly Veit showed me why that thinking is so totally inept, and in fact contributes to a vicious cycle somewhat like he described in the video. If FOCUS is the key word here, then I am doing better than ever thanks to BKP, but I still have a ways to go.

            Thanks for the funny video Veit "Sh#t, I better get out of here." LoL.
            so, the idea of F.O.C.U.S in the video above is really only about
            breaking out of the cycle, well, ok, primarily becoming *aware* of it.

            it's only when you're aware of being on autopilot that you can then
            stop the autopilot and take over control (even when it's uncomfortable).

            But then, you're absolutely right, the next question is of course:
            what are the right actions to take,
            i.e. how do you expand your comfort zone?

            And that's all about LEARNING from each experience and adapting
            at each step. The problem is, if you're running on autopilot, you're very
            unlikely to be willing to learn, because your ego (or HAAMS) is
            getting in the way.

            Example: someone asks for a refund. Automatic reaction of ego/
            HAAMS: they didn't like my stuff ... reduce stress by telling yourself:
            "ah well, they clearly didn't see the value in it". (i.e. it's their
            fault, nothing to do with you)

            Once you can get past the auto-response, you can then reflect
            and ask the right (even though sometimes uncomfortable) questions
            and take appropriate action.

            the core message of the video wasn't meant to be about
            "sticking to it until it works" (a very important skill to have as we
            all agree), but rather FIRST putting yourself in the position where you can
            actually focus enough that even when you have setbacks,
            you can quickly learn from them and then move in the right
            direction.

            so, yes, spot on, focus is ongoing, constantly changes but is
            aimed at one big overall goal. That way you generate new data
            with each test (each thing you try out) so you can apply those
            learnings to new situations.

            However, when your focus changes constantly as a result
            of you not being able to expand your comfort zone (HAAMS in
            control), then you've got a problem, because you're not
            learning from the setbacks.

            I remember Brian Tracy telling us at a seminar:
            if you want to succeed, you try each new
            thing at least ten times (in slightly different ways).
            Only if after ten times it still doesn't work, then you go
            and try something else.

            So, although I agree with CDarklock that the 'C' can mean
            many things (course of action, method, an ebook, ...),
            in my opinion, for most people who're struggling, just
            buying one single course (not even buying, jeez, go to
            the war-room and grab any of the free content there),
            and then actually sticking with it until they've done
            everything that's described in the course would be huge.

            But, that's exactly where the HAAMS kicks in: a lot of
            people choose a course that requires no or very little
            further investment, meaning they're going for organic
            traffic, traffic from articles, etc...

            so whilst they're waiting for the first results, at the back
            of their minds the question "am I doing the right thing,
            would I be better off doing something else, is this going to
            work for me" etc is creeping up. Stress goes up. HAAMS
            kicks in...

            Which incidentally is also one of the big issues with many
            of the "challenges" out there -- e.g. I highly respect Ed Dale and
            his 30DC, but there is one big flaw with that model:
            the sole focus is on making the first $ after around 30 days.

            Now a) that's not very much money when compared to
            mortgage payments (stress), b) it's an awful long way
            (relatively speaking) to get there (stress) c) the outcome
            is uncertain (it's not like a job where you're guaranteed to
            get paid) (stress).

            End-result: low stick rate with that type of program.

            Going back to geeky science: research shows that the more
            measures of progress you have, the higher your chances
            of success.

            So, rather than just looking at the first $, start celebrating
            every achievement along the way. Hey, yesterday I submitted
            my first article. Whao, yesterday I had no idea how to install
            a plugin in wordpress, and now look, it's actually up and running.
            Oh, look, my sniper-site has gone up to page 2 of Google within
            1 day of me launching it....
            Yes, silly examples, I know, but that's exactly the kind of thing
            where your brain dumps out happy chemicals and keeps
            the HAAMS quiet long enough so you can F.O.C.U.S


            thanks again for the great feedback, I'll clarify some of these points
            in the next video

            Veit

            Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

            Oh, I'm not in any way trying to put Veit down. I just think there's a pitfall in the idea of FOCUS being something you do once and then it's done. It's this ongoing thing, where you drill down, then focus, then drill down, then focus. The gurus are out there all the time trying new things, throwing out what doesn't work, and focusing in on what does.

            The process he describes in the video is very real, there's no question about it. However, there's no real discussion here of how to transcend or alter that. The F.O.C.U.S. acronym is useful, and catchy, and a great idea... but what's actually happening here is a lack of granularity.

            When you think about it, the raw "Follow One Course Until Successful" method creates exactly the problem he describes. You bang your head against the wall until it really hurts and you don't want to do it anymore. Then you look back and say "the last time this happened, I went and found a new wall to bang my head against." So you go looking for a new wall.

            The real problem isn't that you were banging your head against the wall. It's that you were banging your head against the wall too long. "Follow One Course Until Successful" = "Bang Head On Wall Till It Breaks."

            What you have to do (and is undoubtedly among the things Veit covers in his course) is stop banging your head against the wall FREQUENTLY and say "am I banging my head against this wall right?"

            Look at PPC jockeys.

            The failures started a campaign and poured money into it until they ran out.

            The successes started a campaign and poured a little money in. If it didn't make a profit, they threw it out and tried a new one.

            The MAJOR successes started fifty campaigns, poured a little money in each of them, and threw out the ones that didn't work until they were pouring all their money into just a few winning campaigns.

            And look at what happened with the failures: the more money they poured into that one campaign, their excitement went down and their anxiety went up. When they finally looked back, they had this massive change, and they had to make a massive change in response. So they said "this stuff doesn't work" and went to go bang their head on a different wall.

            Even the successes: every time a campaign failed, their excitement went down and their anxiety went up. But when they got a success, their excitement went up (and their anxiety went down) a LOT. And this happened frequently enough that they never got tired of banging their head against the wall. It never really hurt that much. But still, it did hurt.

            And the guy with fifty campaigns? He never has a pure failure. If the success was testing a campaign every week, it would take him almost a YEAR to find out what the guy with fifty campaigns knows in just one week - which campaigns work, and which campaigns don't. Instead of banging his head against the wall, he dropped Tony Stark's Jericho missile on the damn thing and watched it crumble.

            Who cares that most of the wall is still standing? Look at all those holes!

            But if the guy with fifty campaigns just sat there and left them all running, like the guy with just one did, he'll run out of money faster because he's not dumping the losers. What both of the successful guys are doing is simply identifying and dumping the losing strategies. And the faster you do it, the better off you are.

            What makes the FOCUS acronym so dangerous is not really understanding what the C stands for. Follow One Course Until Successful. What is a course? How do we define it? Is it one product? One method? One mechanism? Because if your "course" is too small, you could be on a loser that's not going to be successful no matter how focused you are. Your course must allow for success.

            Not all roads lead to Rome... and it's worth checking to see if they're paved with good intentions.
            Signature

            Connect with me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/veitschenk

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571775].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
              Originally Posted by VeitSchenk View Post

              as Marty says, for me that's the crazy thing: you keep hearing from the gurus that you "clearly didn't have the willpower, the focus, the desire & motivation" because, well, you have access to the same tools as they do, and still you're not making it.
              A lot of gurus forget that the game changes. Just because you have the tools doesn't mean you have the resources. Once people know who you are, you can ask quite a lot from them and get it. They trust you. They'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

              Remember when Donald Trump was bankrupt?

              He sat in a room full of bank executives, all of them demanding to be paid the money he owed them RIGHT NOW, and told them he simply did not have it - so instead, they should loan him another couple hundred million.

              And they did.

              This is not a solution for the average person dealing with impending bankruptcy. When grandma is underwater on her house and the ARM just jumped her mortgage payment by $350 she can't afford, grandma cannot just walk into the bank and say "I can't afford that, so you'll need to loan me $45,000."

              The single biggest problem for a guru is to always understand where his audience sits, not just where he sits himself.

              The problem is that the brainstem is a rather old structure and just isn't familiar with modern-day stress/stressors.
              I'm reminded of Liam Neeson's speech at the beginning of The Haunting. The gist of it is that while fear once served a useful purpose, it's now completely outmoded; the sweaty palms, the adrenaline rush, the pounding heart... these things don't help you ask the boss for a raise. They're counterproductive.

              And that's all about LEARNING from each experience and adapting
              at each step.
              Precisely. We're in pretty close agreement here. I'm rather glad, because you're far more formally educated in this stuff than I am.

              the core message of the video wasn't meant to be about "sticking to it until it works" (a very important skill to have as we all agree), but rather FIRST putting yourself in the position where you can actually focus enough that even when you have setbacks, you can quickly learn from them and then move in the right direction.
              I didn't really get that from the video... I definitely got a clear (and very well done) portrayal of what the problem is, but I didn't feel like the question of how to solve it was covered in any way. Did I miss something?

              But, that's exactly where the HAAMS kicks in: a lot of people choose a course that requires no or very little further investment, meaning they're going for organic traffic, traffic from articles, etc...
              This is a large part of what I saw with Zombie Blogging customers. There was this massive fear that Google would "catch" them and they would get in trouble, even though I kept saying "this is fine, it's okay, you're not breaking any of the rules." They were very tentative, very slow, and if Google ever wanted phone verification they panicked and abandoned everything.

              I was really very concerned about the method those first few times people reported that they lost ALL their blogs, but when I investigated, it was just... fear. They were out of their comfort zone, and before they even got to the point of earning any money, they were hitting the self-sabotage switch. They were so uncomfortable with even the IDEA of earning money for a few minutes work and zero cost, even if it was just a few cents, that they'd knock down their own sand castle.

              Which incidentally is also one of the big issues with many of the "challenges" out there -- e.g. I highly respect Ed Dale and his 30DC, but there is one big flaw with that model: the sole focus is on making the first $ after around 30 days.
              Agreed. I'm working on something similar in spirit but with very different goals; John Schwartz is also attached to the project. We did well together with Zombie Blogging, so we're going to crank things up a notch or twelve and see what we can do with something more expansive.

              So, rather than just looking at the first $, start celebrating
              every achievement along the way.
              Bingo. We should hang out sometime; maybe you could drop by the FNC this week. I'll try not to drink too much for the first couple hours.
              Signature
              "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572103].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author nicelife
                Yes that's absolutely true!

                Quitters will never make it in anything!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572231].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author VeitSchenk
                Hey, no, you didn't miss anything,

                squeezing the solution into a 13 minute video would've been a little ambitious.
                Look out for the next couple of videos, the next one ("Entrepreneurial Divide") shows where this thing is popping up (many unexpected places), and then, once you've identified where your personal sabre-tooth tiger is, how to kick it in the teeth...

                and yes, let's hang out, sounds like we could have some fun

                Cheers

                Veit

                Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

                I definitely got a clear (and very well done) portrayal of what the problem is, but I didn't feel like the question of how to solve it was covered in any way. Did I miss something?

                ....

                Bingo. We should hang out sometime; maybe you could drop by the FNC this week. I'll try not to drink too much for the first couple hours.
                Signature

                Connect with me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/veitschenk

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author morsh
    so after all it's the power of focus
    Signature
    You've read enough, now act!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author warriorkay
    That's absolutely true - follow one course
    until successful. So, it's all about taking
    ACTION on what we know until we start
    seeing the RESULTS we should. Wonderful!

    Kingsley
    Signature
    Kingged.com Coaching and Partnership Program
    Is The ONLY Coaching Program That Does 99% Of The Work
    TO MAKE MONEY FOR STUDENTS FROM 1ST DAY
    So they EARN while they LEARN

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2571974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
    I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised watching your video.

    Your theory is probably very close to the truth.
    Signature
    'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572345].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bens2008
    Very nice video! I am agree with you.

    thanks for this video.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572439].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author winsonlim
    Hi Veit,

    I agree with the FOCUS principle. I will be creating another thread that goes together with this thread.


    Cheers,
    Winson
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author robselaney
    You are sooo right. Thanks for the quality info . :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author macchiavelli
    I live by this motto.

    Methods dont fail, people do!
    Think about it.

    If you really want to make money all you need is clickbank.
    Im not kidding!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Rankin
    Great reminder to focus on what matters and forget all the rest. I live my life by this and this forum is a way to reinforce it. Follow one path until success comes!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572762].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kyle Fox
    Thanks mate. Good video. The key really seems to be focus. At the moment i have a dozen really good sounding opportunities to make money from, and at the slightest hic-up i bounce to another. Kinda overwhelmed with choice. Then there is the fear of investing in a bottomless pit where i will never see my money again. This causes days where my brain switches off doing anything productive.

    I just need to pick one, knuckle down and start making money from one of them, and then expand later. My desire to become successful is burning stronger everyday though, just have to make it happen. I will make it happen.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2572817].message }}

Trending Topics