Just bought a high traffic (209k uniques) website/blog - need advice on monetization

46 replies
I just purchased a high traffic website/blog that is climbing the Alexa rankings quickly and seeing about 209k unique visitors monthly. The site is seeing $600 in monthly adsense and advertiser revenue currently, and I believe that it has the potential for a lot more given the amount of traffic coming in. The demographic is ages 18-35.

What would you recommend I do to maximize the earnings potential and monetization of the site?

(check it out at evilclownvalley dot com so you can see the type of site/blog and niche its in)
#209k #adsense #advertising #advice #alexa #blog #bought #high #monetization #monetize #traffic #uniques #website or blog
  • Profile picture of the author Latsyrc
    What is the blog about so we can monetize it accordingly??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geoff101
    No one can answer that without knowing the niche/topic of that blog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author D89
    Congratulations on nice passive income!


    No one needs to know exactly what site or niche to give you some ideas.

    You can add Clickbank products or CPA offers that are related to the site.

    I am sure other where can direct you with much more detail on that matter without you having to create unnecessary competition to your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661483].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
      Sorry about that guys. You can check out the site at Evil Clown Valley dot com (WF is not allowing me to post links yet) -- it's a photo blog that contains a lot of weird stories or things the younger demographic would be attracted toward checking out.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661499].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author garyv
        Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

        Sorry about that guys. You can check out the site at Evil Clown Valley dot com (WF is not allowing me to post links yet) -- it's a photo blog that contains a lot of weird stories or things the younger demographic would be attracted toward checking out.
        Wow, that's one entertaining website - lol. That being said, I think it would be a great place for some CPA ads
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661554].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
          Originally Posted by garyv View Post

          Wow, that's one entertaining website - lol. That being said, I think it would be a great place for some CPA ads
          Wow, am I talk to Gary V? The Gary V? J/K... ) Yes, I figured the entertainment value of the site is sure to continue to attract a lot of eyeballs. I have my hooks in with a lot of different affiliate networks, but I'm wondering what verticals might convert best given the demographic. Dating? Gaming? Other?

          Also, do you think its better financially to do CPA affiliate offers or actually try to sell the ad space for a flat monthly fee?

          Sorry for all the questions, but one more... is it too "hokey" to try to integrate affiliate offer links into the blog content, or is it best that all of the "advertising stuff" is done on the sidebars outside of the main content window?

          Thanks for the ideas! Much appreciated.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661594].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author AfteraDream
            Dating and Gaming would be best for young guys. And lucrative for you I think. Check out Clickbank and CPA offers...

            Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

            Wow, am I talk to Gary V? The Gary V? J/K... ) Yes, I figured the entertainment value of the site is sure to continue to attract a lot of eyeballs. I have my hooks in with a lot of different affiliate networks, but I'm wondering what verticals might convert best given the demographic. Dating? Gaming? Other?

            Also, do you think its better financially to do CPA affiliate offers or actually try to sell the ad space for a flat monthly fee?

            Sorry for all the questions, but one more... is it too "hokey" to try to integrate affiliate offer links into the blog content, or is it best that all of the "advertising stuff" is done on the sidebars outside of the main content window?

            Thanks for the ideas! Much appreciated.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661731].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author garyv
            Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

            Wow, am I talk to Gary V? The Gary V? J/K... ) Yes, I figured the entertainment value of the site is sure to continue to attract a lot of eyeballs. I have my hooks in with a lot of different affiliate networks, but I'm wondering what verticals might convert best given the demographic. Dating? Gaming? Other?

            Also, do you think its better financially to do CPA affiliate offers or actually try to sell the ad space for a flat monthly fee?

            Sorry for all the questions, but one more... is it too "hokey" to try to integrate affiliate offer links into the blog content, or is it best that all of the "advertising stuff" is done on the sidebars outside of the main content window?

            Thanks for the ideas! Much appreciated.

            Your best bet is to do some split testing. Try it all out and see what works the best. It could be a combination. But you need to test. Don't be afraid to lose a little money while testing. In the long run it pays off.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mrsparrow
    Try adding some info links...there are a lot of different sites you could go with.

    Also if your blog has a specific niche you can add related info products links and/or banners. You can pick these kind of products from Clickbank. If you see that you have success with them, then you can make your own info product in order to get paid the full price, not only the commission.

    Another thing you can try is to sell impression ads, you have a solid source of monthly traffic.
    Signature
    Your traffic not converting?
    Omniconvert - the complete CRO tool
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661494].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
      Originally Posted by Mrsparrow View Post

      Another thing you can try is to sell impression ads, you have a solid source of monthly traffic.
      Thanks for the ideas Mrsparrow. As far as impression ads go, what's the best way to get started down that path? Do I use a major ad space company to broker it for me (and if so, which ones are good?), or do I just start knocking on other site owners doors with the traffic stats on my site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manishrawat
    Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

    I just purchased a high traffic website/blog that is climbing the Alexa rankings quickly and seeing about 209k unique visitors monthly. The site is seeing $600 in monthly adsense and advertiser revenue currently, and I believe that it has the potential for a lot more given the amount of traffic coming in. The demographic is ages 18-35.

    What would you recommend I do to maximize the earnings potential and monetization of the site?

    If you could tell us about the the niche. The demography you target seems to be pretty interesting. between 18-35(actual net surfers) show keen interest in various online activities. You may setup some thoughtful platform for them so that they can get interested and mint money for you.

    It would have been much easier for us if you had told us about the target niche.
    Signature

    PSD to HTML / Theme Conversion Service - PixelCrayons.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dougsanders
    I would sign up to be an affiliate of some Halloween Costume retailers and promote those for the next 40 days or so. Additionally CPA offers would probably do well, especially if you could find survey's about topics your audience was interested in.
    Signature
    If You Want Easy Continue Going To Your Nine To Five J.O.B.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661807].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
      Banned
      Nice site.

      But what's with the obstructive red sliding thing on the left-hand edge? I did click on it a few times but don't understand why you'd want others to see the site it links to. What's all that about? It gets in the way of text you're trying to read. I don't know about "traffic" but you'll certainly avoid losing some people (I don't imagine I'm the only one?!) very quickly by removing it, anyway. :confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661843].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Nice site.

        But what's with the obstructive red sliding thing on the left-hand edge? I did click on it a few times but don't understand why you'd want others to see the site it links to. What's all that about? It gets in the way of text you're trying to read. I don't know about "traffic" but you'll certainly avoid losing some people (I don't imagine I'm the only one?!) very quickly by removing it, anyway. :confused:
        Alexa, I think they did that for the purposes of having the site up for sale to show how many active eyeballs were on the site at all times. I'll definitely remove. Thanks for the advice!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661863].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author garyv
          Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

          Alexa, I think they did that for the purposes of having the site up for sale to show how many active eyeballs were on the site at all times. I'll definitely remove. Thanks for the advice!
          I figured out what it was, and it's an interesting concept. Part of the appeal of some social websites is knowing that other people are seeing what you are seeing. But Alexa is right, I'd find a way to move it.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661905].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

          Alexa, I think they did that for the purposes of having the site up for sale to show how many active eyeballs were on the site at all times. I'll definitely remove. Thanks for the advice!
          Ah, understood!! Sorry, had never seen that before and this didn't occur to me. Yes, I see that it might be useful when a site's for sale. Thank you, Jason - and good luck with the site!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661971].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author theimdude
        Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

        Nice site.

        But what's with the obstructive red sliding thing on the left-hand edge? I did click on it a few times but don't understand why you'd want others to see the site it links to. What's all that about? It gets in the way of text you're trying to read. I don't know about "traffic" but you'll certainly avoid losing some people (I don't imagine I'm the only one?!) very quickly by removing it, anyway. :confused:
        That red sliding thing is going to traffic stats and something is missing here

        The seller claims 209 000 k visitors a day. So 209000 /30 day /24 hours = 290 uniques a hour. Currently his stats is showing between 6-16 visitors a hour.

        Wonder where is all the traffic?

        I need to add here as I smell a rat.

        Domain is 2 months old had 400k uniques just with content there and all organic traffic. Adsense claim could be fake as it shows a figure that could be for a combined account and not even the domain. One of the easiest things to do is sending artificial traffic to a site using proxies which will increase Alexa ranking.

        I have a site with 55000 unique articles 3 years old that I do nothing to and it only gets +- 150 visitors a day. Maybe I must put it on Flippa and make some good money
        Signature
        Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
        [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

        CLICK HERE NOW
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661983].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
          Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

          That red sliding thing is going to traffic stats and something is missing here

          The seller claims 209 000 k visitors a day. So 209000 /30 day /24 hours = 290 uniques a hour. Currently his stats is showing between 6-16 visitors a hour.

          Wonder where is all the traffic?

          I need to add here as I smell a rat.

          Domain is 2 months old had 400k uniques just with content there and all organic traffic. Adsense claim could be fake as it shows a figure that could be for a combined account and not even the domain. One of the easiest things to do is sending artificial traffic to a site using proxies which will increase Alexa ranking.

          I have a site with 55000 unique articles 3 years old that I do nothing to and it only gets +- 150 visitors a day. Maybe I must put it on Flippa and make some good money
          Thanks for your insight on this theimdude. I'm confronting the seller on this now so I can attempt to get to the bottom of these questions/issues.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662104].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
            I don't think the stats are showing # of visitors per hour, I think they are showing a real-time progression... so for example if there are 10 users on the site when you get there, and they each stay on for an average of 1 min, then the next minute if there are 8 users on the site, they are different/unique visitors. So, rather than looking at the peaks of 16 at a time per hour, think of it is a constant 16 unique users in there at all time, rotating in and out.

            So if there are 5 unique people coming in every minute (while some are leaving), then you have 300 unique visitors in the hour, 7200 in the day, and 216k in the month (just as an example).

            The only thing left to explain is how he got that much traffic to the site in a matter of 2 months.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662215].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
          Banned
          Originally Posted by theimdude View Post

          I need to add here as I smell a rat.
          I think there's normally some sort of rodentiferous odour, isn't there, at least when a site's for sale on a basis other than just provable income made? Call me a skepchick and all that, but traffic figures are very commonly massaged, in one or more of various different ways, I think?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662262].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author garyv
            Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

            I think there's normally some sort of rodentiferous odour, isn't there, at least when a site's for sale on a basis other than just provable income made? Call me a skepchick and all that, but traffic figures are very commonly massaged, in one or more of various different ways, I think?
            That's why I only buy the higher priced sites from sellers that allow escrow.com - Then you can verify all of the stats on your end before the money is released.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662471].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
              Originally Posted by garyv View Post

              That's why I only buy the higher priced sites from sellers that allow escrow.com - Then you can verify all of the stats on your end before the money is released.
              Yes, my money is actually on its way to escrow this morning, so I still have the ability to pull out of the deal.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662521].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author garyv
                Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

                Yes, my money is actually on its way to escrow this morning, so I still have the ability to pull out of the deal.
                Very smart. It sounds like it's on the up&up - but I would make sure that the site lives up to the seller's claims to your liking, before releasing the money. No website is going to be perfect, but as long as you feel you're getting your money's worth you should be fine.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662582].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author theimdude
                If you unsure about the stats log into the cpanel and let me look and I will tell you where all that traffic is coming from if there is any. There is a program that you can add say 2000 proxies to it, add you url, and make the referrer google and off you go. Upto 2000 visits every day and that also inflates alexa ranking.

                If I was you I would hold the site for a month and don't pass the money, add you adsense code and if the traffic and income hold then you will know the truth but I won't hold my breath on this one.
                Signature
                Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
                [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

                CLICK HERE NOW
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
      Originally Posted by dougsanders View Post

      I would sign up to be an affiliate of some Halloween Costume retailers and promote those for the next 40 days or so. Additionally CPA offers would probably do well, especially if you could find survey's about topics your audience was interested in.
      I love the Halloween offer idea, Doug. Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2661867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I would be extremely wary buying a site that is only 2 months old. You can achieve that Alexa ranking easily. There may be bought traffic involved. I am also suspicious that 10 links have been sold already. If you decide to go ahead, the transaction must be done by escrow since it will give you an option to reject the site.

    Derek
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author harro1
    You can monetize your site with cpa offers. CPM networks pay too less, adsense along with some cpa offers can generate quite a lot of revenue.

    Good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662860].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
      Here's the response from the seller when I confronted him on issues raised by theimdude:

      Traffic on this website may be really different in different parts of the
      day, or of the week. It all depends on your content. If you can make
      interesting post, and if you promote it on my submit list, it would be
      enough to earn as I was earning, or much more. It all depends of you. I
      wasn't working on this website every day. If you work on it every day it's
      gonna be better for you. Nothing is fake on this website. Adsense is used
      just for this account. I didn't use any proxy cheating or anything like
      that, and you can see that on my analytics. Alexa is rising every day, as
      you can see. When I started this auction Alexa rank was 60k, and after 3
      days it is 58k. In last few days I stopped working on this website, as you
      can see by the visits. Statcounter and Google analytics can show you how
      many visits it had, and where they came from. You just need to continue
      working on a website. And my statistics, which you can see on the website
      (whoIsOnline stats) shows how many people are currently online.

      I hope that everything is okay now. I am not trying to cheat on you. I am
      working this kind of job for 3 years. You can check everything in stats
      that I uploaded.

      I'm waiting for your response.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2662977].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Intrepreneur
    Ad placement is all wrong.

    Go check Google's guidelines for ad placement.

    https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...n&answer=17954
    Signature

    Owner bestfivereviewed.com

    Started this stuff 2009. Time is what will teach you the skills you need.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2663033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author theimdude
      I would say ask him permission to log in the server and check the stats.

      Your call but not even bigger sites with more relevant news items get that traffic especially in a newly registered domain. The one thing that seems wrong there is all those video's on the side as they just redirect you traffic from your site.
      Signature
      Do you want 30 back-links in my PRIVATE BLOG network for ONLY $20 ???
      [LIMITED ACCESS + FREE ARTICLE INCLUDED OR YOUR OWN]

      CLICK HERE NOW
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2663187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author harro1
    I just checked the flippa, i think people can still buy that site, are you sure that you are the current owner of that site?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2663485].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonspencer
      Originally Posted by harro1 View Post

      I just checked the flippa, i think people can still buy that site, are you sure that you are the current owner of that site?
      Yes, it was just showing pending for a while because the funds were in escrow.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2664431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DuaneZ
    Another hot market and item you may want to advertise on this site if you keep it is the whole "get your ex back" products. Your demographic will suite this product perfectly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2708824].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author candoit2
    Originally Posted by jasonspencer View Post

    I just purchased a high traffic website/blog that is climbing the Alexa rankings quickly and seeing about 209k unique visitors monthly. The site is seeing $600 in monthly adsense and advertiser revenue currently, and I believe that it has the potential for a lot more given the amount of traffic coming in. The demographic is ages 18-35.

    What would you recommend I do to maximize the earnings potential and monetization of the site?

    (check it out at evilclownvalley dot com so you can see the type of site/blog and niche its in)
    Check out popular sites frequented by the same type of visitor and see how they are monetizing. They have done all the research on what converts already.

    Aaron
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2708973].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sara.m
    You can add Google adsense to your site and see what produce you can fine in your in your niche/topic and sell it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2708995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JasonParker
    Since it's about a lot of different topics, I'd probably figure out your highest trafficked pages and monetize them separately with related ads. That's what I'd do... BUT I'm not the expert at these types of sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2709007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bluewater
    theimdude nailed it. Cancel the deal, the seller is most likely ripping you off.

    Even the red stats thing on the left hand side is showing ave 7 visitors per hour which is 5K a month not 209K. Alexa rank can be faked and is showing huge peaks and big troughs. Hardly any indexable content, very few external backlinks and those that are are from forum profiles. Sites like this are ten a penny. Where is the supposed traffic coming from?

    Only buy something you can verify traffic on 100% through Google Analytics or similar. And, I hate to say this, but be wary of buying sites from people who have poor English skills.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2709419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author miklanderson2
    The site is has interesting content and I see some potential there but I fail to see how this site is drawing that much traffic. Almost all of the posts are written in broken English and need to be rewritten. Every time I go to the site, I only see 3-5 visitors on there. It just doesn't add up.

    Unless you can verify this traffic is legitimate or you got a really good deal, I'd be very cautious releasing the money.
    Signature

    "A bargain is something you don’t need at a price you can’t resist."
    -Franklin Jones

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2709491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JodyRossDeane
    Hey there

    I would be thrilled to write you some guest posts for free about any topics you choose or stories too with author bio box.

    Thanks in advance
    Jody
    Signature

    Get Hyper-Targeted Instagram Followers and Start Banking Big!:-
    TARGETED INSTAGRAM FOLLOWERS SERVICE (Guaranteed Delivery)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896193].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      Originally Posted by JodyRossDeane View Post

      I would be thrilled to write you some guest posts for free about any topics you choose or stories too with author bio box.
      I think you're almost four years too late for that.
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EPoltrack77
    Id say you just lost everything
    Signature
    Free Video Training Sharing The Steps To Succeed With Affiliate Marketing.
    Get Access At www.cbaffiliatecareer.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896267].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dan C. Rinnert
      I wonder how many people will post before realizing this thread is over three years old?
      Signature

      Dan's content is irregularly read by handfuls of people. Join the elite few by reading his blog: dcrBlogs.com, following him on Twitter: dcrTweets.com or reading his fiction: dcrWrites.com but NOT by Clicking Here!

      Dan also writes content for hire, but you can't afford him anyway.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896283].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author salegurus
        Originally Posted by Dan C. Rinnert View Post

        I wonder how many people will post before realizing this thread is over three years old?
        Already been 2, and i bet a few more...
        Why read or at least skim the thread and then give an informative answer when you can just blurt out any rubbish.....
        Signature
        Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

        ― George Carlin
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AzizA1
    Depending on your niche, you can a 'Recommended Products' or a 'Products Review' section, where you review different products & insert your affiliate links at the end of each review.

    Az
    Signature
    If you have a minute or 2 to spare, stop by the my Blog for some free tips :-)

    ==> 7 Days to $1000 Blog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author awesome786
    Hi, I don't know what niche your website is so I think you can try high converting affiliate products related to your website niche.You can also sell advertising space and go to different forums related to your website niche and open accounts.You can set your signature link that you are selling advertising space and I am sure most people will jump for it if it's getting loads of traffic.Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZedyDiamond
    This thread may be old, but there are still people out there facing the same question.

    I would add some Clickbank products!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8896468].message }}

Trending Topics