Please Were Can I Get A Free WP Theme With Only a " Powered by..." link at The Footer

26 replies
I will like to know were to get this as my free theme has an acne treatment link at the footer and I do not like this.

I would prefer a "Powered By Link" at the footer.

Where do I get it or is it impossible?
#footer #free #link #powered by #theme
  • Profile picture of the author PaulaC
    Just type in 'free wordpress themes' into Google and see what comes up. There are thousands of free themes available.
    Signature

    My Blog --> Affiliate Blog Online

    Our New Membership Site - Affiliate Tools HQ

    Amazonian Profit Plan - Our Complete Blueprint for Making Money Online by Promoting Amazon Products - The Amazonian Profit Plan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752340].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jideofor
      Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post

      Just type in 'free wordpress themes' into Google and see what comes up. There are thousands of free themes available.
      You mean that I can get a free wordpress theme with only a powered by link and nothing else ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752368].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PaulaC
        Originally Posted by jideofor View Post

        You mean that I can get a free wordpress theme with only a powered by link and nothing else ?
        Yep, there are plenty to choose from and you will also find plenty that don't even have a "Powered by..." in the footer.
        Signature

        My Blog --> Affiliate Blog Online

        Our New Membership Site - Affiliate Tools HQ

        Amazonian Profit Plan - Our Complete Blueprint for Making Money Online by Promoting Amazon Products - The Amazonian Profit Plan

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752382].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jideofor
          Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post

          Yep, there are plenty to choose from and you will also find plenty that don't even have a "Powered by..." in the footer.
          Actually, if you take a look at my blog, the footer has 2008 phone detective review.acne treatment I dont want the acne treatment link. I would rather have a powered by link or nothing in my free theme.

          So, is this possible?

          Thank you everybody for your comments and time.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752536].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
            You can do this easily

            Go to Free | WooThemes and download one of the 11 free themes like The Morning After.

            All are decent, choose whichever theme is the most suitable.

            You can put whatever text you want on the footer of any of these themes.

            On The Morning After theme it takes 5 seconds to change the footer text.
            Signature
            'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752584].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author jideofor
              Originally Posted by oneplusone View Post

              You can do this easily

              Go to Free | WooThemes and download one of the 11 free themes like The Morning After.

              All are decent, choose whichever theme is the most suitable.

              You can put whatever text you want on the footer of any of these themes.

              On The Morning After theme it takes 5 seconds to change the footer text.

              Thank you so much. Thank you Thank you Thank Thank you.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752751].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CMartin
            Originally Posted by jideofor View Post

            Actually, if you take a look at my blog, the footer has 2008 phone detective review.acne treatment I dont want the acne treatment link. I would rather have a powered by link or nothing in my free theme.

            So, is this possible?
            As per this info
            WordPress › Themes are GPL, too
            WordPress › Support » Is removing the WP+Theme footer legal?
            you can remove any links from the php files in the WP themes - the GPL license allows you that.

            If the links are encoded in the source code, here's a URL to a post that might help you:
            http://road2tech.com/2010/05/modify-wordpress-theme-footer-links-to-remove-extra-links/

            Carlos
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752793].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
              Originally Posted by paulie888 View Post

              As long as the licensing allows for removal, it's just a matter of editing the footer.php file. Even if you're a beginner who knows nothing about php and html, it should not be too hard to get the offending words/sentences removed from the footer. Just make sure you save a copy of the original footer.php file so that you can revert back to it in case you screw anything up.Paul
              Paulie, the thing is, as Carlos pointed out, the GPL license allows you to remove those links, so its not a licensing issue at all.

              The companies/people that HARD CODE those links in their WP themes are actually egregiously violating the GPL License.

              On their websites, they boastfully claim that their WP themes are free; when in fact they are not free! The price you pay is you must keep their rogue links intact on your Virtual Real Estate.

              It would be a different ball game if they told the truth by stating these facts upfront...

              Our WP Themes are free as long as and only if you keep our footer links intact on your site. If you attempt to remove our links from your site, we will altogether disable access to your website until you replace our links or change WP Themes. We have HARD CODED our themes so that removing our links will be extremely hard even for coders.
              If they told that truth, they would in all probability jeopardize their GPL Licensing. Even if they didn't jeopardize their licensing, most people would decline their free WP themes because the average person wouldn't agree to having those links on their sites unless they were duped or tricked into doing so.

              The fact is, many of those free WP themes are not easy to deal with in terms of removing those links when they are HARD CODED into the theme and that's the ONLY reason so many people still have those rogue links in their footers.

              Having said all of that, has the OP resolved the issue they were having?

              Giles, the Crew Chief
              Signature
              Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

              ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2754741].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author patJ
                Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

                Our WP Themes are free as long as and only if you keep our footer links intact on your site. If you attempt to remove our links from your site, we will altogether disable access to your website until you replace our links or change WP Themes. We have HARD CODED our themes so that removing our links will be extremely hard even for coders.
                Hehe, that's a pretty silly statement. Even if they encrypt their themes all it does is to produce HTML code. It would take a about 20 minutes for a decent coder to just rebuild the theme.
                Signature

                Elegant, simple and clean Landing Page Templates for just $7.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2755029].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chapdaddy
    Unless you have to have that link in the footer for licensing reasons, remove it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jenhuei
    Why don't you just remove the links by editing the footer.php file? In this way you can retain your preferred theme and have the non-related links removed.
    Signature
    "SECRET" interview of Mike Filsaime by Vince Tan
    Download for FREE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752766].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dv8domainsDotCom
    great links CMartin, and yes it's quite easy to remove the footer code. It's a courtesy to leave it but if they're putting in crap for bacne, then get rid of it.
    Edit the "footer.php" file in the WP backend (appearance/edit) this will allow you to select to footer file. Find the offending code and remove it. I have seen some shady themes encode using phpencode64 (or something, working from memory), so there might be something that looks "hidden". PM me if you want me to take a look at any code if you're in question.
    Signature
    Support a Warrior, Save Money!
    Rock Bottom Prices on Domains and Website Hosting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by CMartin View Post

      As per this info
      WordPress › Themes are GPL, too
      WordPress › Support » Is removing the WP+Theme footer legal?
      you can remove any links from the php files in the WP themes - the GPL license allows you that.

      If the links are encoded in the source code, here's a URL to a post that might help you:
      http://road2tech.com/2010/05/modify-wordpress-theme-footer-links-to-remove-extra-links/

      Carlos
      Carlos, those are indeed some great links.

      The thing is, some FREE WP Themes are hard coded so even if a person follow those steps, they are going to get this error message when they attempt to access their site...

      This theme is released free for use under creative commons licence. All links in the footer should remain intact. These links are all family friendly and will not hurt your site in any way. This great theme is brought to you for free by these supporters.
      IMHO, knowing the GPL license allows you remove these links, the companies/indivduals who pull this tasteless ploy against those who have no idea that rogue links are be supplanted on their Virtual Real Estate borders on theft by deception.

      Honestly, the steps one has to go through to remove the hard coded offending juicer links, acne links, poker links, etc., is not worth the trouble unless they are a coder.

      It is best, if at all possible to find an affordable Premium WP Theme.

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2752966].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CMartin
        Giles,
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        Honestly, the steps one has to go through to remove the hard coded offending juicer links, acne links, poker links, etc., is not worth the trouble unless they are a coder.
        I understand that for non-technical users the process of removing those offending links sometimes is not as simple as explained in that link I provided because those theme creators can use many different techniques to display the links.

        But if someone really likes a specific theme that has those offending links, it's worth the trouble of asking for help from someone here on the Warrior Support Forums in order to remove them. Sometimes finding a new theme takes a lot of time.

        It is best, if at all possible to find an affordable Premium WP Theme.
        Agree.

        Carlos
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2753134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paulie888
    As long as the licensing allows for removal, it's just a matter of editing the footer.php file. Even if you're a beginner who knows nothing about php and html, it should not be too hard to get the offending words/sentences removed from the footer. Just make sure you save a copy of the original footer.php file so that you can revert back to it in case you screw anything up.

    Paul
    Signature
    >>> Features Jason Fladlien, John S. Rhodes, Justin Brooke, Sean I. Mitchell, Reed Floren and Brad Gosse! <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2753163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author weezee
    Originally Posted by jideofor View Post

    I will like to know were to get this as my free theme has an acne treatment link at the footer and I do not like this.

    I would prefer a "Powered By Link" at the footer.

    Where do I get it or is it impossible?
    The ones you get then from wordpress.org/extend/themes are the only place you can get them with out all that coded footer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2754970].message }}
  • I've used both Flexxthemes and Headway before, but another Warrior recently posted this, and I don't think I'll be using any paid themes for quite some time.

    New WordPress Themes - New and Fresh Free WordPress Themes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2754986].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CMartin
      Originally Posted by dru-man View Post

      I've used both Flexxthemes and Headway before, but another Warrior recently posted this, and I don't think I'll be using any paid themes for quite some time.
      n e w w p t h e m e s . c o m
      Those "free" WP themes have [several] harcoded links for other sites and even encoded code to check if the links were removed or not - it displays a message and/or disable the theme if the links are removed.

      Carlos
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2757496].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SwiftStreams
    free is great and all, but it is not unique
    you can get a very inexpensive design/theme made for you, which can fulfill your needs

    and then you are in control of everything, and dont worry about traffic leaks
    Signature
    www.swiftstreams.com Content owners, control the quality of your presentation with us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2755041].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Barry Unruh
    Why not just use the Wordpress 3.01 2010 Theme using the tools built into the theme to make it look nice?

    Simple, fast, easy, and "powered by"...
    Signature
    Brain Drained...Signature Coming Soon!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2755111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
      Originally Posted by patJ View Post

      Hehe, that's a pretty silly statement. Even if they encrypt their themes all it does is to produce HTML code. It would take a about 20 minutes for a decent coder to just rebuild the theme.
      That's my point; they would never make a statement like that. That is why they say the theme is free and then force/trick/deceive you to keep the links.

      As far as your 20 minute statement, why would a coder waste time rebuilding a low grade WP theme? And just to confirm your 20 minute affirmation, I have some free WP themes we can put to the test. If you know some coders who believe they can get the job done in under 20 minutes for any type of HARD CODED WP theme, let's put them to the test, A.S.A.P.!

      Also, so everyone knows, there is what is called the, "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License" which states...

      Attribution -- You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
      You can see it here: Creative Commons &mdash; Attribution 3.0 Unported

      So there are cases in which you CANNOT legally remove the links they place on your website. Duly note, most providers ingeniously hide that disclaimer

      Giles, the Crew Chief
      Signature
      Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

      ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2755259].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author patJ
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        That's my point; they would never make a statement like that. That is why they say the theme is free and then force/trick/deceive you to keep the links.

        As far as your 20 minute statement, why would a coder waste time rebuilding a low grade WP theme? And just to confirm your 20 minute affirmation, I have some free WP themes we can put to the test. If you know some coders who believe they can get the job done in under 20 minutes for any type of HARD CODED WP theme, let's put them to the test, A.S.A.P.!

        Yes, i agree.

        I could do it as I have done it many times. I used to do it a lot about a year ago for people who wanted themes hacked. Depending on what kind of theme we're talking about it can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. But most themes just took about 15-20 minutes. Mostly it's just about copying and pasting wordpress code into the html you got from the theme. However, i don't really care about proving it to anyone, you just have to take my word for it. Sorry
        Signature

        Elegant, simple and clean Landing Page Templates for just $7.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2755591].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CMartin
        Giles,
        Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

        And just to confirm your 20 minute affirmation, I have some free WP themes we can put to the test. If you know some coders who believe they can get the job done in under 20 minutes for any type of HARD CODED WP theme, let's put them to the test, A.S.A.P.!
        I took your challenge and downloaded the free (sponsored) GadgetMax theme from "n e w w p t h e m e s[dot]com" and it took me 5 minutes to identify the "offending" code and another 5 to remove it. It could have taken more time if the theme files were more complex.

        What I found in the source code is that they use encoded (Base64) PHP code in two files to perform the checks for the footer links and also to display a message and/or disable the theme if the links are removed. They make it really difficult for a non-technical user to remove those links.


        Also, so everyone knows, there is what is called the, "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License" which states...

        You can see it here: Creative Commons &mdash; Attribution 3.0 Unported

        So there are cases in which you CANNOT legally remove the links they place on your website. Duly note, most providers ingeniously hide that disclaimer
        From what I've read in the past, WP themes that are not distributed under the GPL license violates the GPL. If it's a WP theme, the PHP code must be licensed under the same license than WP, and that is GPL (artwork and CSS are not required to be GPL).

        In this post (point 3) here's what Matt Mullenweg says regarding sponsored themes and the "Creative Commons Attribution" license:
        ... many of these themes try to legally disallow you from removing the advertising link by claiming it's part of the Creative Commons attribution to leave it. This is almost funny, because these themes are on shaky legal ground themselves. WordPress is Free, meaning you're free to do pretty much anything you like with it. It's under a license that encourages user freedom called the GPL, which says if you distribute something that links internal functions and data structures of a GPL program (like themes do with WordPress) that also needs to be Free. At best, theme authors claiming you can't remove the link are ignoring or ignorant of the license issues...
        And from this link you can read also this:
        WordPress is distributed under the GNU GPL license and stipulates that products (including themes) that are based on WordPress be distributed under the GNU GPL license, rather than the Creative Commons license
        There was a lot of "entertainment" (here's more) a few months ago around the WP Thesis theme because it was not licensed under GPL... and in the end Thesis adopted the GPL license for their PHP code. You can read the whole story here.

        ...

        From the WordPress view, WP themes (PHP code) and WP plugins must be licensed under GPL. From "University of Washington School of Law" it seems not :confused:

        Carlos
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2758214].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Crew Chief
          Originally Posted by CMartin View Post

          Giles, I took your challenge and downloaded the free (sponsored) GadgetMax theme from "n e w w p t h e m e s[dot]com" and it took me 5 minutes to identify the "offending" code and another 5 to remove it. It could have taken more time if the theme files were more complex.

          What I found in the source code is that they use encoded (Base64) PHP code in two files to perform the checks for the footer links and also to display a message and/or disable the theme if the links are removed. They make it really difficult for a non-technical user to remove those links.
          Carlos, that's awesome! Actually its beyond awesome!

          How about posting the steps here to removing their HARD CODING.

          Are possibly even providing a service to do so.

          When I'm using WP Themes, I stick with the paid versions, however I'm sure a lot of individuals would love to get the steps in sequential order to remove those rogue links.

          If you don't want to go that route but don't mind sharing, I'll post the steps to my bloggers get help blog with attribution to any site of your choice.

          Originally Posted by CMartin View Post

          From what I've read in the past, WP themes that are not distributed under the GPL license violates the GPL. If it's a WP theme, the PHP code must be licensed under the same license than WP, and that is GPL (artwork and CSS are not required to be GPL).
          You just shed light on a very dirty trick being used by many free WP Theme providers. Although they adamantly state that one must leave their links intact; you just proved it is a misnomer. Actually, it's a complete and absolute falsity.

          That's the reason we live by the Ronald Reagan Rule; TRUST BUT VERIFY!

          For those who care, if you have free WP themes with back links in the footer, you can remove them.

          Giles, the Crew Chief
          Signature
          Tools, Strategies and Tactics Used By Savvy Internet Marketers and SEO Pros:

          ProSiteFlippers.com We Build Monetization Ready High-Value Virtual Properties
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2758278].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CMartin
            Giles,
            Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post

            How about posting the steps here to removing their HARD CODING.
            [...]
            When I'm using WP Themes, I stick with the paid versions, however I'm sure a lot of individuals would love to get the steps in sequential order to remove those rogue links.

            If you don't want to go that route but don't mind sharing, I'll post the steps to my bloggers get help blog with attribution to any site of your choice.
            There is no way to give a step by step formula to be used by non-technical users for encoded PHP code, because there are a lot of technical factors that only programmers knows how to do it. To get an idea, here's the process that I've done for that *particular* theme:
            1. Analyzed all PHP files to see where the encoded code was being used;
            2. Decoded the Base64 strings (encoded code) from 2 files;
            3. Analyzed what that [encoded] code was doing;
            4. Removed the parts that were not necessary;
            5. Finally replaced/removed the encoded code and links from footer.

            As you can see, this is not something that a non-technical user can do, because all of those steps requires a good PHP knowledge and how WP works internally.

            And then, this may vary from theme to theme - the techniques used for a specific theme might be different for other themes (as I'm quite sure they are).

            If you or someone else want to remove links from a "sponsored" WP theme that has encoded PHP code, ask in the Warrior Support Forums. I'm not interested on doing it.

            ...

            What I suggest is to only use themes available from the WordPress.org site - these themes (free or commercial) don't have those "supported" links and are licensed under GPL. Here are the links:
            - Free WordPress Themes
            - Commercially WordPress Supported GPL Themes

            Carlos
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2761953].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Donna Hamer
    Unless it is hardcoded in, then go to footer.php and edit it out of there.

    A lot of people put out free wordpress themes on the basis that you will install them and leave the link - therefore giving them a load of backlinks. Nice trick isnt it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2758393].message }}

Trending Topics