Using Aweber and spam subscribers issue...

by Dayne Dylan Banned
13 replies
Warriors, lately I've been getting a lot of spam subscribers to my optin form on my website. They are even confirmed subscribers. But is obvious they are spam due to the names they are using like Viagra, Casino, etc. etc.

I contacted Aweber about maybe implementing a captcha or something, but they said they do not do that.

Any other ideas on how to cut down on these spam subscribers?
#aweber #issue #spam #subscribers
  • Profile picture of the author BlogTipss
    I have same Viagra . drugPils etc. spammers. 100 junk mail in one day - its too much
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788478].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
    Banned
    You would think Aweber would at least implement a captcha or something. It is very frustrating for sure.
    Signature
    Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke McCormack
    Guys

    Move on. You can stop and erase them from your list with a couple of clicks with aweber.

    Best regards

    Nigel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788636].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christian Sawyer
      Originally Posted by nigelwhittaker View Post

      Guys

      Move on. You can stop and erase them from your list with a couple of clicks with aweber.

      Best regards

      Nigel
      LOL What a nice approach to things!

      Sarcasm...

      I would normally agree with you, but it depends on how large the problem is. I think a captcha would be a great addition, although I wouldn't touch it in some niches, IT ALL DEPENDS!

      And to the OP...you need to figure where these bots are coming from, are they being added through an optin or just added to your list via your listname? Are you sure they are coming from your website?

      If they are coming from your website then this is completely unrelated to the recent hacking incident, and it would be highly unrealistic for Aweber to take action on this. If it's YOUR website that is the problem, it is in fact, YOUR problem.

      I would try to find out the IP addresses that these bots are using, and block them.

      -Christian

      EDIT: I just thought of something that could make it related to the recent hacking of Aweber. These people could have gotten the form data (javascript snippet), or the link to the aweber hosted version of your form, and could be adding those subscribers via that. Just a thought...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788660].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
        You could get a validation script written to pre-check the
        content of web form fields prior to submission.

        So if the name or e-mail contain certain words you
        could have a php script invalidate the submission
        so they don't get posted and added to your database.

        You don't want to use a Captcha mechanism because
        that will decrease your visitor-to-subscriber opt-in rate
        from genuine subscribers.

        Dedicated to your success,

        Shaun
        Signature

        .

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788705].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Christian Sawyer View Post

        LOL What a nice approach to things!

        Sarcasm...

        I would normally agree with you, but it depends on how large the problem is. I think a captcha would be a great addition, although I wouldn't touch it in some niches, IT ALL DEPENDS!

        And to the OP...you need to figure where these bots are coming from, are they being added through an optin or just added to your list via your listname? Are you sure they are coming from your website?

        If they are coming from your website then this is completely unrelated to the recent hacking incident, and it would be highly unrealistic for Aweber to take action on this. If it's YOUR website that is the problem, it is in fact, YOUR problem.

        I would try to find out the IP addresses that these bots are using, and block them.

        -Christian

        EDIT: I just thought of something that could make it related to the recent hacking of Aweber. These people could have gotten the form data (javascript snippet), or the link to the aweber hosted version of your form, and could be adding those subscribers via that. Just a thought...
        Thanks, great ideas to check into Christian.
        Signature
        Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788727].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Christian Sawyer
          Originally Posted by Dayne Dylan View Post

          Thanks, great ideas to check into Christian.
          Try redoing all web forms for that list being affected. Hopefully that will change the page hosted on Aweber and the Javascript Snippet/Form Data.

          If the spamming stops, then you have your answer.

          -Christian
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788741].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Shaun OReilly
            Originally Posted by Christian Sawyer View Post

            Try redoing all web forms for that list being affected. Hopefully that will change the page hosted on Aweber and the Javascript Snippet/Form Data.
            I don't recommend using the AWeber Javascript code
            for web forms.

            Why?

            For 2 reasons...

            1. If AWeber servers are down, your Javascript web forms
            disappear.

            2. Some people run their browsers with Javascript turned-off
            so your forms cannot be seen by those visitors.

            I much prefer to use the Raw HTML code and then I know
            that my web forms will be displayed for the vast majority
            of visitors. Plus I can use hidden fields for tracking, etc.

            Dedicated to your success,

            Shaun
            Signature

            .

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788769].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Christian Sawyer
              Originally Posted by Shaun OReilly View Post

              I don't recommend using the AWeber Javascript code
              for web forms.

              Why?

              For 2 reasons...

              1. If AWeber servers are down, your Javascript web forms
              disappear.

              2. Some people run their browsers with Javascript turned-off
              so your forms cannot be seen by those visitors.

              I much prefer to use the Raw HTML code and then I know
              that my web forms will be displayed for the vast majority
              of visitors. Plus I can use hidden fields for tracking, etc.

              Dedicated to your success,

              Shaun
              Shaun,

              I'm not advocating that you use the Javascript snippet. When you create a form, Aweber creates all of these options, whether you like it or not.

              This information is something that the hackers could have gotten access to, so by deleting the web forms, you are deleting their access to inputing subscribers into your list.

              If they were smart enough and got the HTML code, then you are screwed, but my guess is that they took the hosted links, and are using those to spam lists. By deleting the form, you delete that page, thus stopping the problem...we hope. LOL

              -Christian
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788786].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dayne Dylan
      Banned
      Originally Posted by nigelwhittaker View Post

      Guys

      Move on. You can stop and erase them from your list with a couple of clicks with aweber.

      Best regards

      Nigel
      Yeah, and do that everyday? C'mon.
      Signature
      Create and Differentiate. Illuminate Your Buyers Need or Wants. Grow Rich.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke McCormack
    Christian

    Good input, just cannot figure out the benefit of spamming someone's list. Putting a captcha in may lead to a decrease in genuine optins. For example, by taking out the "name" box and just asking for a person's email leads to a 32% increase in optins. I think adding a captcha would have an adverse affect on optins. Just my 2 cents.

    Regards

    Nigel

    Regards

    Nigel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788682].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Christian Sawyer
      Originally Posted by nigelwhittaker View Post

      Christian

      Good input, just cannot figure out the benefit of spamming someone's list. Putting a captcha in may lead to a decrease in genuine optins. For example, by taking out the "name" box and just asking for a person's email leads to a 32% increase in optins. I think adding a captcha would have an adverse affect on optins. Just my 2 cents.

      Regards

      Nigel

      Regards

      Nigel
      Exactly right, I don't see the benefit in adding a captcha in most cases, but it is something to try.

      However, I'm thinking these subscribers are not coming from the OP's website.

      -Christian
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788703].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Luke McCormack
    Is there any adverse affect to your bottom line from them being on your list or is is just the hike in aweber fees?

    Regards

    Nigel
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2788768].message }}

Trending Topics